GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-17-2017, 02:38 PM   #23
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettdeb View Post
Maybe paranoia is the operative word - cancelled my service appointment.

So Wednesday night I made the following observations, all settings in "economy", outside air temperature 41 degrees. Approximately 1-2 minutes of back roads followed by highway at 50-70mph. Both trips engine was completely cold

Trip number one - 7 minutes until needle moved off 160, another 7 minutes until needle passed 190. Topped out at a hair over 220.

Trip number two - 7 minutes until needle moved off 160, another 7 minutes until needle passed 190. Topped out at a hair over 220.

All my concerns arose from a trip I made last Saturday - it felt like it took 20 minutes for the engine to even move off the lower limit, but I must just be losing it.

I suspect that this is a result of my subconscious brain telling me that I have 4000 miles left on my warranty - which will probably carry me until end of April Then I have 5 months of lease left without warranty coverage.
Or maybe your sensor briefly malfunctioned and reported erroneous temps. Don't sweat it.

DO read my post above about accessing the secret menu for a digital real-time readout of oil temps. This will give you additional information if you are worried again in the future.
      02-23-2017, 06:16 PM   #24
bd307
Chef
Rep
Drives: Things with wheels or no wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettdeb View Post
Maybe paranoia is the operative word - cancelled my service appointment.

I suspect that this is a result of my subconscious brain telling me that I have 4000 miles left on my warranty - which will probably carry me until end of April Then I have 5 months of lease left without warranty coverage.
Ya this

It takes mine around 6-7 miles in local traffic to get to the second tick in the temp of 50s in the am. Little longer if there are no stop lights. Under Sport+.
Appreciate 0