Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-02-2016, 11:23 PM   #67
hdubf80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 ///M3 AW/SO/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW BMW View Post
Well if you want 500 at wheels you need a higher octane mix on map 2 with a JB4. Downpipes will help you get to that goal but are not all that necessary to get to it. Just enjoy the sound of the Remus, for a while .
Thank you for the advice.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 08:05 PM   #68
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Hmmmm... can anybody else confirm non resonated mid pipe and downpipe sounds really bad?

http://eurocharged.ca/portfolio/760-hp-f80-m3/

Or is it a Remus issue?

How about ZCP exhaust, non resonated Remus midpipe and catless downpipes?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 08:12 PM   #69
hdubf80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 ///M3 AW/SO/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figurka View Post
Hmmmm... can anybody else confirm non resonated mid pipe and downpipe sounds really bad?

Or is it a Remus issue?

Thanks
Don't do it. You will hate your car and yourself for making the decision. I did it and quickly bought a whole new exhaust set up. Worst thing I've ever heard in my life. I was embarrassed to drive it and was the laughing stock of my group of friends. And I passed up on a resonated mid pipe from Remus as nobody has run dp's with resonated full Remus exhaust so I didn't wanna be the guinea pig to try it out.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 08:17 PM   #70
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep

Hmmmm...... Okay.

Thanks for the response!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 08:44 PM   #71
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep

Kinda interesting if there is a lot difference between Remus and AA Midpipe...

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1356232

This posted setup on the last page sounds good! Downpipes, Midpipe and ZCP...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 10:41 PM   #72
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

Or is it a Remus issue?

Thanks
You can fix it by running non-res single midpipe similar to Active Autowerke.

Running dual non res midpipe with catless downpipe and a high flow muffler will not sound good at all

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 04:11 PM   #73
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

what people need to understand is this car NEEDS resonators. Resonators reduce rasp and do not effect power output. I cant believe these companies even have "non-resonated" versions.
      02-22-2017, 05:55 PM   #74
apgawlf9196
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWINCH View Post
what people need to understand is this car NEEDS resonators. Resonators reduce rasp and do not effect power output. I cant believe these companies even have "non-resonated" versions.
Generally speaking, do resonators clean up the rasp/sound? Or do they lower the overall volume (db level)? Or both?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 06:17 PM   #75
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:
These companies make non resonated versions for those that decide to use stock DP's. The Remus, AWE, etc. all sound excellent with no resonators as long as the stock DP's are kept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apgawlf9196 View Post
Generally speaking, do resonators clean up the rasp/sound? Or do they lower the overall volume (db level)? Or both?
They definitely lower the rasp. As far as actual dB, I'm sure there's a small difference but most likely it's negligible. Here's a video demonstrating the differences in sound between resonated and non resonated versions of the AWE exhaust.

https://youtu.be/-0qW1NtggbQ
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 06:23 PM   #76
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apgawlf9196 View Post
His response above is very accurate
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
These companies make non resonated versions for those that decide to use stock DP's. The Remus, AWE, etc. all sound excellent with no resonators as long as the stock DP's are kept.

They definitely lower the rasp. As far as actual dB, I'm sure there's a small difference but most likely it's negligible. Here's a video demonstrating the differences in sound between resonated and non resonated versions of the AWE exhaust.

To each their own, but i definitely think these cars need resonators, with or without downpipes. You said it yourself, they get rid of rasp and the decrease in volume is negligible so why not use them? And they dont take any performance away. Resonators are a win, win, win for this platform
      02-22-2017, 07:36 PM   #77
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I disagree... my non resonated midpipe with stock ZCP sounds amazing.... but stock DP...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 07:57 PM   #78
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I disagree... my non resonated midpipe with stock ZCP sounds amazing.... but stock DP...
sound is subjective. If you like rasp then im sure your set up "sounds amazing" but if rasp isnt your thing, like most people here, then resonators are a must.
      05-20-2021, 12:37 AM   #79
az989
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Convertible.

Reviving this thread, the remus non resonated midpipe to remus muffler only sounds good with stock downpipe, i recently installed the ARM resonated downpipe and im getting the same exact rattle/rasp as OP's video. I ordered a set of AA single midpipe from extreme powerhouse, so hopefully they sound better with my arm downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 02:27 AM   #80
Ravcik
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2015| M3 | Manual Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by az989 View Post
Reviving this thread, the remus non resonated midpipe to remus muffler only sounds good with stock downpipe, i recently installed the ARM resonated downpipe and im getting the same exact rattle/rasp as OP's video. I ordered a set of AA single midpipe from extreme powerhouse, so hopefully they sound better with my arm downpipes.
Well i am at this same point as you.
I have AKRA Downpipe + AA EL midpipe + REMUS Cat Back and still have metallic sound around 1,5-2 k rpm, but not so heavy like on this movie.

Yesterday i made a purchase at Wagner Shop - Downpipe-Kit 200 CPSI, so we will se what sound be after install.

S55 have specific sound without CAT is very difficult to tune this with catless downpipe. Dont make a mistake as i did and sell old one, keep them :-)

For quality of sound keep original cat, but if you want perfomance and push for really extra HP use catless.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 07:01 AM   #81
DaytonaVioletM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80 M3 Competition

I have the same set up with an AA EL. (Best sounding set up I've found hands down) There is something wrong with your exhaust man. Get in touch wiith Remus
      05-20-2021, 08:41 AM   #82
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by az989 View Post
+1

the Active Autowerke single midpipe is a better option with REMUS axle-back if you are not using stock downpipes

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 09:49 PM   #83
Singham14
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
you have catless DP, AA equal length resonated and remus axle back? how loud is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonaVioletM3 View Post
I have the same set up with an AA EL. (Best sounding set up I've found hands down) There is something wrong with your exhaust man. Get in touch wiith Remus
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 07:16 AM   #84
SikhF80
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 m3 yas marina blue

My current setup is
Dinan Axle back
AA SINGLE Midpipe
ARM RESONATED catless downpipe

Someone just offered me a remus axle back for a good deal. Thinking of swapping it out for my Dinan, but do you think it will be raspy? My downpipes are resonated so it might sound good?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 09:51 AM   #85
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SikhF80 View Post
My current setup is
Dinan Axle back
AA SINGLE Midpipe
ARM RESONATED catless downpipe

Someone just offered me a remus axle back for a good deal. Thinking of swapping it out for my Dinan, but do you think it will be raspy? My downpipes are resonated so it might sound good?
It'll be a bit more aggressive than your current setup with a much deeper tone in the mid range

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 05:30 PM   #86
SikhF80
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 m3 yas marina blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
It'll be a bit more aggressive than your current setup with a much deeper tone in the mid range
So I went to pick it up and the guy tried installing it. Not sure what went wrong. There seemed to be a 2 inch gap from the remus opening to my aa midpipe opening. The exhaust clamp I had on my Dinan seemed too small. The shop installer also said the clamps don't fit the aa midpipe and remus axle back properly.

Is the gap supposed to be like that? Also, I heard we need the remus "reducers" or clamps to fit with aa midpipe properly. Can someone please direct me to the right clamps? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 05:44 PM   #87
AND1_M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singham14 View Post
you have catless DP, AA equal length resonated and remus axle back? how loud is it?
Sounds amazing. That's what I am running... .
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 05:46 PM   #88
AND1_M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SikhF80 View Post
So I went to pick it up and the guy tried installing it. Not sure what went wrong. There seemed to be a 2 inch gap from the remus opening to my aa midpipe opening. The exhaust clamp I had on my Dinan seemed too small. The shop installer also said the clamps don't fit the aa midpipe and remus axle back properly.

Is the gap supposed to be like that? Also, I heard we need the remus "reducers" or clamps to fit with aa midpipe properly. Can someone please direct me to the right clamps? Thanks
I used the clamps from Remus exhaust and they worked fine..
Appreciate 0