proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

02-12-2017, 11:04 AM   #23
Polopolisgeorge
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

To anyone thinking of going down this road, I would caution against getting the MMI kit, especially if your car is manual. I'm not thrilled with mine after installing it.

Perhaps OEM integration is a better solution.
Appreciate 2
      02-12-2017, 12:36 PM   #24
katit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polopolisgeorge View Post
To anyone thinking of going down this road, I would caution against getting the MMI kit, especially if your car is manual. I'm not thrilled with mine after installing it.

Perhaps OEM integration is a better solution.
My car is manual. Can you give more details on what you don't like?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 02:54 PM   #25
Polopolisgeorge
Rep

I ended up having to install the interface in the passenger footwell for a couple reasons:
1. My head unit was larger than the one in the installation videos, so there was no room for the MMI plus additional wires inside the dashboard.

2. I noticed that there are two LEDs on the MMI that never turn off, even when the car is turned off. Since I don't put that many miles on the car, I'm a bit worried about this draining the battery long term. At least with the interface in the footwell I can unplug the power cable manually.

The connector they supply to tap into the reverse wire is junk. I ended up having to solder to the wire, which was a huge pain with the location of it.

With that box and some wires hanging down there, if I ever decide to sell the car, it's probably going to be a tougher sale. Time will tell how long the thing even continues to work properly.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #26
katit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polopolisgeorge View Post
I ended up having to install the interface in the passenger footwell for a couple reasons:
1. My head unit was larger than the one in the installation videos, so there was no room for the MMI plus additional wires inside the dashboard.

2. I noticed that there are two LEDs on the MMI that never turn off, even when the car is turned off. Since I don't put that many miles on the car, I'm a bit worried about this draining the battery long term. At least with the interface in the footwell I can unplug the power cable manually.

The connector they supply to tap into the reverse wire is junk. I ended up having to solder to the wire, which was a huge pain with the location of it.

With that box and some wires hanging down there, if I ever decide to sell the car, it's probably going to be a tougher sale. Time will tell how long the thing even continues to work properly.
Thanks! I see. With OEM there is another potential problem. When OEM/OEM Integration installed - they have to code it to the car. Which may cause warranty issues if they do in fact flag coded cars

I don't see a problem with other stuff you listed(other then not being able to place module behind radio). And on video they mount box on a driver side (not behind) of nav unit.

I would solder anyway and my car is daily driven. Are you sure LED's don't go out in 15-20 minutes? They take power from radio harness (according to video). Don't think it will stay up after car goes to sleep.

What about lines and picture? Is picture good?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 04:34 PM   #27
Polopolisgeorge
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by katit View Post
Thanks! I see. With OEM there is another potential problem. When OEM/OEM Integration installed - they have to code it to the car. Which may cause warranty issues if they do in fact flag coded cars

I don't see a problem with other stuff you listed(other then not being able to place module behind radio). And on video they mount box on a driver side (not behind) of nav unit.

I would solder anyway and my car is daily driven. Are you sure LED's don't go out in 15-20 minutes? They take power from radio harness (according to video). Don't think it will stay up after car goes to sleep.

What about lines and picture? Is picture good?
They suggest mounting the OEM integration module on the driver's side. For the MMI, they say underneath the head unit if there's room, or inside the dash between the center stack and the glovebox. Getting to that location requires removing the glovebox, but after following their instructions to the letter and wrestling with it for about half an hour, I couldn't get the glovebox out.

I left everything plugged in overnight, and the LEDs were still on this morning when I looked at it.

My car is technically still in winter storage at the moment, so I haven't had it out to test the camera in the real world. The picture looks okay. It's pretty similar to the pictures on their website.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 09:51 AM   #28
shainblm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

I would like to retrofit my F 83 with side and top you cameras it already has a rear camera and heads up display is this process possible? How difficult is it? Please advise thank you
Appreciate 0