R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

12-27-2016, 04:01 PM   #23
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kung Fu English View Post
Hah yea our roads here are terribad with the rapid temp changes. Was 65 yesterday and 25 today ><.

Can you compare non ZCP to ZCP? I will be able to test drive a non ZCP soon as my dealer has a used one but want to make sure I can extrapolate that to the ZCP I may order.
I think the driving dynamics are pretty close and you'll likely not notice in normal every day driving. I've never actually driven a non-ZCP so someone who's spent some time in both would get a more valuable opinion - pretty sure there is a thread out here with at least a person or two who got the zcp after having an '15 (ish) model and they seemed to like the zcp a lot.

For me it's all about the packaged options and slight tweaks. I think it's the way the car that should've been released so it was a no brainer for me. The wheels look much better in person, the exhaust sounds better, supposedly better (tweaked) suspension dynamics, different seats, slight power increase, etc. Nothing wrong with the non zcp, but I think the zcp improves on it enough to justify the price tag. In my mind, just the upgraded wheel cost from the 18s, which I was going to do, covered half the cost of the package. Feel free to judge me on how I justify my purchase to myself...

I'd say no one with the non-zcp is crying about their car. But if you like the overall zcp package, it is something you'd probably kick yourself for not getting if you opt out. It's like if I had not gotten the exec package even though I really only wanted the HUD. I could live without it, but I REALLY like it and would be annoyed the entire ownership of the car because I know how much I like it.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 11:48 AM   #24
Devilzmantis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 991 Turbo S

I had a very hard time transitioning... The E92 is a very special car. Sleek, howling v8 with that bulging hood and the seats felt quality. It was the perfect size... not too big, not too small.

I had to go through numerous test drives with the M4 and on top of that, i had to lease one to really appreciate the M4. I think my sales guy messed me up... he was a noob/amateur. Kept telling me I should baby the drive and he didn't know all the settings. The sound was uninspiring to me at first since I didn't get the full performance settings out of it. But once you drive it more... the performance difference just takes over anything you love of the E92. Then everything else just feels and looks better and you forget the things you didn't like about the M4 and what you loved about the E92.

I kept the E92 because it's holding its value and those that are picking them up are doing it for all the reasons I pointed out above.

SOLD-2015 BMW M4 Convertible
,2006 Porsche 911,2011 BMW Z4,2001 BMW 330ci
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2016, 02:00 PM   #25
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilzmantis View Post
I had a very hard time transitioning... The E92 is a very special car. Sleek, howling v8 with that bulging hood and the seats felt quality.
Can you explain a couple of things from your opinion for me?

Curious about why you liked theE92 bulging hood over the F82 hood and how the seats felt 'quality'.

I only ask because, for me, I thought the E92 M3 seats felt about the same quality as my F30, nothing wrong with them but my F80 seats have a much higher quality leather and are quite comfortable. As far as the hood bulge, I didn't spent much time staring at the E92 as my only seat time was a couple of track days and it's a good looking car no doubt, but to me the hood from last and current gen M3s are a wash.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 05:30 PM   #26
Devilzmantis
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post

Curious about why you liked theE92 bulging hood over the F82 hood and how the seats felt 'quality'.

I only ask because, for me, I thought the E92 M3 seats felt about the same quality as my F30, nothing wrong with them but my F80 seats have a much higher quality leather and are quite comfortable. As far as the hood bulge, I didn't spent much time staring at the E92 as my only seat time was a couple of track days and it's a good looking car no doubt, but to me the hood from last and current gen M3s are a wash.
Leather - I don't know... just the feel of it. The E92's leather felt thicker, harder and heavier like a bomber jacket. The M4 just felt so light and thin.. like those bonded leathers. I could tell a big difference when the rear center armrest piece came off on the vert... it felt so light like paper. I think some on here likes the seats better in the E92 so they can maybe give a better explanation or maybe it's just me that I like the hard leather finish. The light padding doesn't help it either...

Hood - Yah, i think it's just preference on this one. I thought the bulging hood gave the E92 a unique quality to it.

Last edited by Devilzmantis; 12-28-2016 at 05:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 06:11 PM   #27
Kung Fu English
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP MG/SO

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post

Leather - I don't know... just the feel of it. The E92's leather felt thicker, harder and heavier like a bomber jacket. The M4 just felt so light and thin.. like those bonded leathers. I could tell a big difference when the rear center armrest piece came off on the vert... it felt so light like paper. I think some on here likes the seats better in the E92 so they can maybe give a better explanation or maybe it's just me that I like the hard leather finish. The light padding doesn't help it either...

Hood - Yah, i think it's just preference on this one. I thought the bulging hood gave the E92 a unique quality to it.
I think it's more the hood vents I will miss from the e92 lol. The bulge is about the same tho.

As for the seats: are the zcp seats padded enough like the e92 seats were? I mean like squishy feeling?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 06:54 PM   #28
lukester
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

the new ///Ms are that "good" that I switched back to my 2nd e9x M3.
honestly. I'll have more than enough chances to drive turbo and electric cars the next 40 years.
But common! A car which needs a mp3 soundfile through the audio system says it all.
it depens what you like.
e46 M3 & e9x M3 for racing. But for coffee racing the boosted up 335 aka F8x ///M is really not a bad car.
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2016, 12:38 PM   #29
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

The only thing I missed on the e92 m3 for a few weeks and occasionally even now is revving to redline. Problem is I could only do it every so often.

If you track all the time, even if the f8x puts down better times, the e92 will always be more enjoyable. Also the engine made it feel like an "event" every time I drove it, simply because you would have to warm engine/oil up properly, always be aware what rpm and gear you were to drive spiritedly etc.

Regardless, everyday driving, the F8x is a better car all around. You need torque for regular driving here in North America. Furthermore, the creature comforts, heating/ac have all improved drastically. Also F8x does feel lighter and to some degree more planted in corners. Last, I'm noticing the e-diff makes the car much more easier to drive in the winter.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 12:02 PM   #30
Devilzmantis
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I think it's more the hood vents I will miss from the e92 lol. The bulge is about the same tho.

As for the seats: are the zcp seats padded enough like the e92 seats were? I mean like squishy feeling?
The F8X ZCP seats are great seats, feels much squishier than the standard. I would say yah, it's as squishy as the E92 but the E92 has lumbar support. Hmmmm now i'm doubting myself if the E92 seats are any better since I haven't driven it for 2 years. Let me get back to you on this.

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 12:19 PM   #31
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
I had a very hard time transitioning... The E92 is a very special car. Sleek, howling v8 with that bulging hood and the seats felt quality. It was the perfect size... not too big, not too small.

I had to go through numerous test drives with the M4 and on top of that, i had to lease one to really appreciate the M4. I think my sales guy messed me up... he was a noob/amateur. Kept telling me I should baby the drive and he didn't know all the settings. The sound was uninspiring to me at first since I didn't get the full performance settings out of it. But once you drive it more... the performance difference just takes over anything you love of the E92. Then everything else just feels and looks better and you forget the things you didn't like about the M4 and what you loved about the E92.

I kept the E92 because it's holding its value and those that are picking them up are doing it for all the reasons I pointed out above.
Interesting you say that. I was thinking of picking up an E92 just because of how cheap they are getting... 35-40k for a low mile 13.. I sold my 11 for 45 ~ 2 1/2 years ago.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 12:33 PM   #32
Devilzmantis
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Interesting you say that. I was thinking of picking up an E92 just because of how cheap they are getting... 35-40k for a low mile 13.. I sold my 11 for 45 ~ 2 1/2 years ago.
35-40k for low mile 13k is a great price but comparing it with every BMW out there, it's still high. It's about 40K for anything around 30K miles here and much higher at bmw dealers.

Wow for 35K, there's nothing i would buy out there but the E92... but that's just me. Would love to see some pics when you pick it up.

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 12:38 PM   #33
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
35-40k for low mile 13k is a great price but comparing it with every BMW out there, it's still high. It's about 40K for anything around 30K miles here and much higher at bmw dealers.

Wow for 35K, there's nothing i would buy out there but the E92... but that's just me. Would love to see some pics when you pick it up.
I found a nice Space Grey w/ two tone red/black I am going to go check out this weekend. They want 42k and its got 26k miles. They would have to drop that price tho.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 01:22 PM   #34
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92: F82: M2C: M2 CS (Now)

No Promlem coming from an e92 so far, break in period, damp/icy streets and subzero temps = cautious driving..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 02:30 PM   #35
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrsteve View Post
- This auto start/stop crap. Thanks for including that "feature"
Not to nitpick but not sure how you can call this a "con"? Unlike the other complaints you made the stop/start isn't a subjective issue given it can be easily and permanently overridden.

Serious question; do you know there's a button that disables it and remains as set ad infinitum....Or did they change it for later model years? I pressed the "off" button when the car was delivered and I haven't given the feature a second thought since.

Without it being installed these cars would struggle to pass the increasingly stringent emissions tests- it keeps them legal so I'm all for it.
Appreciate 1
dmk087318.00
      01-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #36
Kung Fu English
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP MG/SO

Quote:
Quote:

The F8X ZCP seats are great seats, feels much squishier than the standard. I would say yah, it's as squishy as the E92 but the E92 has lumbar support. Hmmmm now i'm doubting myself if the E92 seats are any better since I haven't driven it for 2 years. Let me get back to you on this.
Picked up my new f80 yesterday. Overall ride quality is excellent. Still getting used to it clearly only 90 miles so far lol.

It's a zcp. The seats I'm not sure about.

I have never used lumbar support in any car and often am trying to release support to fall back into the seat. But these zcp seats push right on my mid upper back, at the level of my inferior shoulder blades right on the midline.

It's like a pressure point and I don't know why. I'm trying to move the seat back and bottom to get it out. When I test drive a standard f80 I drove around for like 30 miles and never felt it.

I don't know if because of the cut outs my lateral back falls in further and therefore there is more pressure midline.

My low back and lumbar is fine so it's not the missing lumbar support.

Will this wear itself in?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 04:00 PM   #37
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

The E92 seats are way more comfortable than the ZCP seat in the F82. My tailbone is still badly bruised from a track accident in July, so sitting in my M4's seat requires a donut pillow. I can sit just fine in the E92 without the pillow.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 02:22 AM   #38
young dude
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I found a nice Space Grey w/ two tone red/black I am going to go check out this weekend. They want 42k and its got 26k miles. They would have to drop that price tho.
Can't comment on this thread other than contribute off topic regarding E92 pricing. Depending on other factors, it's a decent price you got there. I paid almost $43k pretax for a 16,000 mile '13 loaded, with warranty till summer, and I think that was a fair to good price. The market isn't hot for this car, but somehow dealers are not budging on prices.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 03:40 PM   #39
Daxos
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

The only thing I miss about my e92 M3 vs my F82 M4 is that the steering wheel, suspension and throttle settings defaulted to whatever your last used settings were.

Everything else, even including the stock sound, I like on the F8x better than on the e9x.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 02:11 PM   #40
WERKE
President Directeur General
Canada
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/ E92 M3 ESS/F-type R

Desapointed by this fantastic car (F82)...Technical acheivement without ANY soul. BMW sell more cars to the mass and less to real car enthusiasts. M3 always been a special vehicule; it's not the case with F80/82.
      02-04-2017, 12:02 PM   #41
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain_attack View Post
I have E93 and I am getting my F83 early Nov. I need tips about how was there Siri on between the 2 cars.

Any thoughts are welcome
First off congrat's. Each car specializes in different things

I would sum it up:

F80
PRO's
F80 is more comfortable daily driver.
Looks fantastic, bigger, modern tech. manual is excellent.

CONS
Motor lacks character, boring on the back roads compared to S85/S65. Yeah, its fast but not involving
Steering is rubbery and numb
Why the UPS truck sized steering wheel? lol
Sounds like shit. Trying to fix with over priced aftermarket exhausts. Easily the weak point of the car for me

E9x is more special, exotic due to the motor and steering. But not as good as the F80 for daily commuting.

If DD = F80M
If spirited driving = E9x M

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 09:10 PM   #42
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M340i

Well, I had a 340 for 6 months in between the E90 M3 and the F80 ZCP so not back to back, but basic thoughts are below...keep in mind I'm still not 100% broken in, just popped 1K miles today so aiming for late this week or early next to do the run-in service. Also won't have an opinion on a track comparison until I hit COTA at the start of April with Chin, will def want to comment more then...prolly start a new thread with those thoughts

Anyway, with that in mind the biggest difference - to me anyway - is just how easy it is to be a hooligan in this car vs. the E90. Torque...torque and more torque. Did I mention torque? It's just always there...ALWAYS

Once you get going you can run around town all day in 3rd or 4th, and still be able to pull on the Q50 that rolls up next to you without a downshift. that was just not possible with the E90.

The E90 - though it sounded better, nothing like a high-revving V8 - just took much more to get everything out of it. But it's not always possible to rev to 8K, especially on the street. It did have much better tactile steering feel, really wish they had keep the hydraulic rack in the F80. That's prolly the biggest thing I miss.

In other non-driving aspects, the F80 is just nicer and more modern - for the obvious reason that is 6 years newer than the E90 was, so the iDrive, interior and exterior - while still very handsome - just don't stand up in comparison and look dated when looking at them side by side now.

If the S65 in my car hadn't developed a top-end clatter at cold starts - and after coming in from a session on track - I prolly would have kept it as a track vehicle and stuck with the lease on the 340i.

But the thought of detonating a S65 on track - having seen that happen both at COTA on the back straight (with fire-y results!) and at TWS - just concerned me too much and my CPO wrap was expiring, so here we are.

Happy to have a new car than can haul the kids, get groceries, is comfortable and modern plus can handle (I hope anyway) the track several times a year
Appreciate 0