ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

02-02-2017, 07:06 PM   #1
mlust
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Germany trip tips

I am headed to Germany with my Wife and daughter this summer so its time to start planning our trip. I have read many threads on here about ED that initially is what started my wheels turning about doing one with my family, but with the long wait lists for the M2, My original plan of doing euro delivery at the Welt ended, and I picked up my new car Stateside. Even though I am no longer taking delivery at the welt, we would like to still go and enjoy this time in Germany. We have never been, so we are very excited to see as much as we can and take everything in. All tips and recommendations welcomed.
This is just a rough draft of our trip. When we travel we love to eat so restaurants tips are a plus

DAY 1 We will be flying into Frankfurt in the morning of June 22, and will stay the night.

DAY 2 The next day we plan to drive (1h 45 min) to The Nuerburging and check out the festivities. I was hoping to get some time on the track but as the following day is a VLN race, I am not sure that is going to be possible. Also finding a place to stay may be a challenge, as I am expecting it to be very busy around nurburg. If we do not stay in Nurburg, we will drive back to frankfurt for a nights rest.

DAY3 The following morning we will drive (3hr 30min, if from nurburg) to Rothenburg for a quick tour of the city and eats and then off to Stuttgart
(1hr 30min) for a nights stay.

DAY 4 In the morning visit Porsche museum and then head out to (2hr 15min) Fussen for some castle pics and lunch. We probably will skip the Castle tour so we don't blow our day following the heard of tourist around the castle grounds. We will then set off for (50 min) Garmisch-Partenkirchen for a night and enjoy what the beautiful little town has to offer.

DAY5 The following Day we will take a short (50min) drive to Innsbruck Austria and enjoy our stay for a night.

DAY 6In the morning, when we get up and ready to move, we will take a tour of the (2hrs from innsbruck) Eagles Nest and then off to ( 1hr 40min) Munich were will will spend our last three nights.

DAY 7, 8, While in Munich, we would like to do the BMW factory tour and visit the Welt. The rest of the time, just enjoy all the good beer and food we can.

DAY9 drop rental car and fly out from Munich

For those that have been, any thoughts or tips. Should we skip any of these towns and spend longer in others. I am not certain we will go to Rothenburg or the Eagles nest. Is it worth the time to drive out of the way to check these places out? Any towns that I should include that is a must stop and see along the way?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 09:30 PM   #2
Spiderv6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3MC, 911.1 4S

That's a lot of driving. And it will probably take longer than the times you quote - traffic can be brutal in all those areas.

My advice would be to cut out >50% of the moving around and focus on a few places.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 10:06 PM   #3
SilverRevlis
Motiphd
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535 M Sport

Your most likely going to want to take the high speed trains to most places if possible. Not sure of the age of your kids (due to child seats) but you can rent BMW's from Welt or another place BMW operates about 20-30 minutes outside of Welt (I think still in Munich). Just keep an open ear if conductors are planning to strike, but there will be more than enough notice for that.
2010 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance (hers/retired)
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 10:28 PM   #4
Space gray
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX 50

Garage List
2022 BMW iX50  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Do the Night Watchman tour in Rothenburg odT which happens in evening. Check it out to see if it's worth your while yo adjust your schedule.
Appreciate 1
DBACE688.00
      02-03-2017, 01:40 PM   #5
XsltAnalyst
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80, 957 Cayenne

Ring isn't open for tourist drives on June 23, check the calendar to make sure.
Maybe do the trip the other way, beginning in MUC then ending in FRA to avoid the VLN race.

I would cut down at least two of the items in the list, depending on your priorities.
Try to stay at least two night in a hotel.

I would skip Innsbruck and Eagle's Nest. These are bit out of the way and nothing special about them. There is always a next time and don't try to do too much.

Here's my suggestion:

Spend 2-3 nights in Munich, explore the city and what is has to offer. Free tours begin at 10:45am at Marienplatz.

Visit Castles and hike up the surrounding mountains. You can also use Tegelbergbahn cable car for awesome views on a clear sunny day. There is so much to do in this region. If you get lucky with the weather, you can easily spend couple of days exploring the region.

Stutgart- stay 2 nights. Definitely visit MB museum, where you can easily spend a whole day. Check out the Neckar park as well, fun for the whole family and you can get a taste of real Germany.

Rothenburg- you can stop by on your way to N'ring or skip it depending on your time.
Spend 1-2 nights near N'ring, do some laps. Then I'd drive to FRA a day before the flight and spend a night there.

You can also do it vice-versa (FRA-MUC) but try to leave plenty of time between destinations and focus on quality time spent on fewer places vs cramming as much as possible, especially with a family.

See my euro trip if you need ideas.

Last edited by XsltAnalyst; 02-03-2017 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 01:55 PM   #6
nlpamg
MBWorld Spy
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, F8 Tributo, GR Supra

Agreed about cutting Innsbruck and visiting the MB Museum.

The Porsche Museum isn't that special (if you've been to a Rennsport Reunion, you've seen everything). The Mercedes Museum though, is one of the best automotive museums in the world. It is better than the BMW Museum.

Also, you should allot more time for traffic, construction, getting lost, or just going off the beaten path, etc.

Time to participate in the douchey signature blocks
Current: 2023 BMW M4 CSL, 2021 Ferrari F8 Tributo, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Notable Past: 2017 BMW M3 30 Jahre, 2019 Porsche GT3 RS, 2018 Porsche GT3, 2015 Porsche GT3, 2012 Nissan GT-R Black Edition Alpha 6+, 2008 BMW M5 Dinan, 2006 BMW M3, 2014 Mercedes CLA45 AMG
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 02:06 PM   #7
Jdem2
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

I agree with the others about trimming your itinerary. Although it'll be tough to cut out the Eagles Nest if you are a history buff.

XsltAnalyst has a great point about starting in MUC. You COULD use Munich as your hub and hit a ton of stuff in the surrounding areas. Great train station right in the city that branches out all over Europe.

I would reverse the trip and finish up in Frankfurt and you could feasibly hit Stuttgart on the way if you really wanna see MB or Porsche museums.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 04:28 PM   #8
kumori04
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Sedan

I don't care what you do, just make sure to stock your tummies full of steckerlfisch. That shit's the bomb.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 05:17 PM   #9
mlust
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderv6 View Post
That's a lot of driving. And it will probably take longer than the times you quote - traffic can be brutal in all those areas.

My advice would be to cut out >50% of the moving around and focus on a few places.
yeah I know it can take longer with traffic it was just a rough estimate on driving times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRevlis View Post
Your most likely going to want to take the high speed trains to most places if possible. Not sure of the age of your kids (due to child seats) but you can rent BMW's from Welt or another place BMW operates about 20-30 minutes outside of Welt (I think still in Munich). Just keep an open ear if conductors are planning to strike, but there will be more than enough notice for that.
my daughter is 15yrs old. I may have to look into renting a BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space gray View Post
Do the Night Watchman tour in Rothenburg odT which happens in evening. Check it out to see if it's worth your while yo adjust your schedule.
good tip, thanks! looked it up and that seems like it would be a cool tour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpamg View Post
Agreed about cutting Innsbruck and visiting the MB Museum.

The Porsche Museum isn't that special (if you've been to a Rennsport Reunion, you've seen everything). The Mercedes Museum though, is one of the best automotive museums in the world. It is better than the BMW Museum.

Also, you should allot more time for traffic, construction, getting lost, or just going off the beaten path, etc.
Wow two against going to Innsbruck.... I'll have to think about it now. I thought I always read people loved innsbruck when doing ED... The Mercedes museum I would love to do, but to do another car museum with my daughter and wife may not go over well. But I have heard it is one of the better ones... may have to reconsider this one.... Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XsltAnalyst View Post
Ring isn't open for tourist drives on June 23, check the calendar to make sure.
Maybe do the trip the other way, beginning in MUC then ending in FRA to avoid the VLN race.

I would cut down at least two of the items in the list, depending on your priorities.
Try to stay at least two night in a hotel.

I would skip Innsbruck and Eagle's Nest. These are bit out of the way and nothing special about them. There is always a next time and don't try to do too much.

Here's my suggestion:

Spend 2-3 nights in Munich, explore the city and what is has to offer. Free tours begin at 10:45am at Marienplatz.

Visit Castles and hike up the surrounding mountains. You can also use Tegelbergbahn cable car for awesome views on a clear sunny day. There is so much to do in this region. If you get lucky with the weather, you can easily spend couple of days exploring the region.

Stutgart- stay 2 nights. Definitely visit MB museum, where you can easily spend a whole day. Check out the Neckar park as well, fun for the whole family and you can get a taste of real Germany.

Rothenburg- you can stop by on your way to N'ring or skip it depending on your time.
Spend 1-2 nights near N'ring, do some laps. Then I'd drive to FRA a day before the flight and spend a night there.

You can also do it vice-versa (FRA-MUC) but try to leave plenty of time between destinations and focus on quality time spent on fewer places vs cramming as much as possible, especially with a family.

See my euro trip if you need ideas.
yeah now you got me thinking to do this in reverse and start in Munich... I'll have to talk this over with the wife and see what she thinks. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdem2 View Post
I agree with the others about trimming your itinerary. Although it'll be tough to cut out the Eagles Nest if you are a history buff.

XsltAnalyst has a great point about starting in MUC. You COULD use Munich as your hub and hit a ton of stuff in the surrounding areas. Great train station right in the city that branches out all over Europe.

I would reverse the trip and finish up in Frankfurt and you could feasibly hit Stuttgart on the way if you really wanna see MB or Porsche museums.
yeah I really don't want to cut Eagles nest, but It would be the one to get cut if any just because it is out of the way... This is one of the things amongst many that I wanted to see... I guess if it doesn't make the cut. I can do it on our next ED trip. I may have plan to use the train more but It looked like it took longer to travel by train then a car ride so we were just going to rent a car the whole time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumori04 View Post
I don't care what you do, just make sure to stock your tummies full of steckerlfisch. That shit's the bomb.
Just looked it up.. will definitely check this out. sounds great! thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 05:47 PM   #10
nlpamg
MBWorld Spy
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, F8 Tributo, GR Supra

If you're bringing your wife and daughter, since you'll already be close by, try going to the Swarovski Kristallwelten (it's near Innsbruck): https://kristallwelten.swarovski.com/

Time to participate in the douchey signature blocks
Current: 2023 BMW M4 CSL, 2021 Ferrari F8 Tributo, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Notable Past: 2017 BMW M3 30 Jahre, 2019 Porsche GT3 RS, 2018 Porsche GT3, 2015 Porsche GT3, 2012 Nissan GT-R Black Edition Alpha 6+, 2008 BMW M5 Dinan, 2006 BMW M3, 2014 Mercedes CLA45 AMG
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 06:06 PM   #11
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80

Squeeze a quick trip to Zurich, buy your wife some luxemburgerli from Sprungli A.G. that shit is awesome. I still overnight those suckers every so often now.

Forevermore haunted by 2 bear pillows in the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 07:36 AM   #12
NOLATom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Definitely do Rothenburg. We stayed three nights and had some good food and thoroughly enjoyed our stay there and used it to explore the surrounding towns. There are a few tours in town and both guides did a great job keeping you entertained.

Just down 7 is Dinkelsbuhl and it is definitely worth a stop.

Munich was a disappointment for me. We stayed there four days and really, you see all you want to see in a day. By day three, we decided to take a day trip to see a castle on the Czech border.

Now, if you are going to Stuttgart, go just a tad further and see some of those French towns like Colmar and Ribeauville along the boarder in the Alsace region. We stayed there a little more than a week and it was beautiful.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 09:58 AM   #13
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

Tips:

Ditch the car and take trains.

Less places more time.

If you are going to the ring but not on the ring id probably scratch it off the list.
Appreciate 1
DBACE688.00
      02-04-2017, 11:31 PM   #14
mlust
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanszilla View Post
Squeeze a quick trip to Zurich, buy your wife some luxemburgerli from Sprungli A.G. that shit is awesome. I still overnight those suckers every so often now.
LOL... I looked those up because I didn't recognize the name, but we have a bakery here that specialize in those and they are so damn good! Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpamg View Post
If you're bringing your wife and daughter, since you'll already be close by, try going to the Swarovski Kristallwelten (it's near Innsbruck): https://kristallwelten.swarovski.com/
Thanks for the tip, I will have to look into it more. I still don't really know what that is, but I will do some more research. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLATom View Post
Definitely do Rothenburg. We stayed three nights and had some good food and thoroughly enjoyed our stay there and used it to explore the surrounding towns. There are a few tours in town and both guides did a great job keeping you entertained.

Just down 7 is Dinkelsbuhl and it is definitely worth a stop.

Munich was a disappointment for me. We stayed there four days and really, you see all you want to see in a day. By day three, we decided to take a day trip to see a castle on the Czech border.

Now, if you are going to Stuttgart, go just a tad further and see some of those French towns like Colmar and Ribeauville along the boarder in the Alsace region. We stayed there a little more than a week and it was beautiful.
good to know you enjoyed Rothenburg sounds like a good time. I will look into the other places as well. Thats to bad you didn't enjoy Munich as much, I am really looking forward to it. Thanks for the recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
Tips:

Ditch the car and take trains.

If you are going to the ring but not on the ring
Less places more time. ring id probably scratch it off the list.
when I visit London I never rent a car because I can travel anywhere I need to go by the tube. Is it as easy in Germany to get everywhere I need to go by train? We decided to rent a car so we can explore the country as well. I may have to look into using the train more. Thanks for the tips
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 12:17 AM   #15
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlust View Post
LOL... I looked those up because I didn't recognize the name, but we have a bakery here that specialize in those and they are so damn good! Thanks
no no no you don't understand, I live in SoCal and we have shops that makes the best damn macarons here too, but they pale in comparison. After having those little suckers at Sprungli I can't got back to this peasant US made shit we call macarons.

Forevermore haunted by 2 bear pillows in the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 12:29 AM   #16
VeloF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82, 996 Turbo S, E46 & E36

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
Yes rent a car. My spouse is German. We visit her family 1-2 times per year. We've done both. There's another castle outside of Fussen that we've enjoyed---mini Versaille that's quite scenic. Fussen gets quite busy. Kaufburen has a yearly celebration in mid July where all the villages get together for parade and dance/musical celebration with the children in historical costumes that's quite memorable. Look it up. It's 2 weeks; yet the parade etc is the better day. Much more. You're itinerary sounds good. Don't try for too much unless you've got loads of energy. Enjoy. Drop pm if you need more. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 08:33 PM   #17
mlust
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanszilla View Post
no no no you don't understand, I live in SoCal and we have shops that makes the best damn macarons here too, but they pale in comparison. After having those little suckers at Sprungli I can't got back to this peasant US made shit we call macarons.
Lol... Ok well Im not sure we can make it over there but I may order some so I can taste these Things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloF1 View Post
Yes rent a car. My spouse is German. We visit her family 1-2 times per year. We've done both. There's another castle outside of Fussen that we've enjoyed---mini Versaille that's quite scenic. Fussen gets quite busy. Kaufburen has a yearly celebration in mid July where all the villages get together for parade and dance/musical celebration with the children in historical costumes that's quite memorable. Look it up. It's 2 weeks; yet the parade etc is the better day. Much more. You're itinerary sounds good. Don't try for too much unless you've got loads of energy. Enjoy. Drop pm if you need more. Cheers.
Thanks for the tips, I'll look up these places and keep you in mind for more info.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 10:50 AM   #18
Halewafa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SO/SO M4

If you're going to go all the way out to Eagles Nest, then I would highly suggest at least one night in Salzburg. One of our favorite citys during our ED. Also, if you're in the area, do the salt mine tour (not far from Eagles Nest). We had a blast there, great tour and the slides were fun
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 08:15 PM   #19
atomicdoc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M4 Vert ZCP,

Quote:
Hallstatt near Salzburg by car is like a fairy tale town that's been occupied since the Stone Age

For some of the best almost Stau ( traffic ) free driving at ludicrous speed try the A81 just south of Wurzburg southbound to just north of Heilbronn

A7 from Rothenburg south to the Alps is mostly Stau free as well !!!

Enjoy !!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 09:19 PM   #20
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicdoc View Post
Quote:
Hallstatt near Salzburg by car is like a fairy tale town that's been occupied since the Stone Age

For some of the best almost Stau ( traffic ) free driving at ludicrous speed try the A81 just south of Wurzburg southbound to just north of Heilbronn

A7 from Rothenburg south to the Alps is mostly Stau free as well !!!

Enjoy !!!!
+1 for Hallstatt. Beautiful town. Definitely worth a stop for a few hours if you end up in that area for the Eagles Nest. Agree with others that less is more. Wife and I have learned that traveling over the years. Rothenburg ODT is a must as far as I'm concerned. Walk the wall, Criminal Museum, and night watchmen tour.

I will say no trains. Driving in Germany where people actually know how to drive is a must. I have a hard time when we get back to the states with all the Magoo's that have no business being behind the wheel of a car.

Good Luck. Enjoy
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 11:40 AM   #21
DBACE
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 LCI

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [10.00]
2005 CBR1000RR  [10.00]
1995 ST1100  [9.00]
2009 Camry Hybrid  [0.00]
Smile Memories - Circa 2007

Thanks OP, reading this post brought me back to a trip my wife and I took in 2007. We also flew in to Frankfurt, and then proceeded to travel the country. We traveled via train the entire time. As soon as we landed we hopped onboard a high speed train to the City of Dresden. We went to the following places for various amounts of time: Prague (Not so high speed single train car), Berlin (Toured Motorrad Factory), Munich (Dachau), Fusson (Neuschwanstein Castle), Rothenberg OdT, Weisbaden (Ah, the spas) and back to Frankfurt in 14 days. We never drove a car the entire time and it was awesome.

The one piece of advice I would give you is to learn a little bit of the language and master saying: "Good Day, you have to excuse me I do not speak very good Deutch and was wondering if you could help me, do you speak English?"

"Guten Tag, haben Sie mich zu entschuldigen, ich spreche nicht sehr gut Deutch und frage mich, ob Sie mir helfen können, tun Sie Englisch sprechen?"

Enjoy your trip!!