ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

02-04-2017, 06:13 AM   #1
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 F83

Hi Friends,

Just bought an M4 and wanted to get your insight as I embark on the modding journey. I'm coming from a heavily modified 335i so I assume that many of the upgrades would be similar ?

What ecu tune is the best to go for ? I've had a jb4 before and didn't really like the piggy back approach.

Which down pipes are best for RHD cars ?

Which intake is best. BMS one looks most reasonable.?

Any need to upgrade the FMIC ?

Planning on taking the car beyond 500hp, so will the standard charge pipe hold out ? It didn't on my n54. If so which one ? ER?

Paul's Exhaust mod, is this just about increase of noise or you actually get MPE type performance ?

Would like to replace the tips on the exhaust - are Cyba still the ones to get ? Do they need welding ?

Suspension.......already have the H&R springs, do the dampers or roll bars need upgrading ? Is this M Performance kit any good or just cosmetic ?

Anything else I need to think about ?

Appreciate any response or pointers !!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 06:53 AM   #2
rjwojcik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW Golf GTD

Cyba are just bolt on
      02-04-2017, 08:37 AM   #3
Lawton438
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I've basically just done the exact same jump as yourself, and had it on the dyno today for a starting point and it's put down 478bhp standard so would get it on a dyno first off as I was suprised myself for a standard setup.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2017, 11:42 AM   #4
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawton438 View Post
I've basically just done the exact same jump as yourself, and had it on the dyno today for a starting point and it's put down 478bhp standard so would get it on a dyno first off as I was suprised myself for a standard setup.
Interesting, even so I still will mod ?

478 is high against 421 as published power ?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 12:40 PM   #5
Lawton438
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I may well do myself in the near future but for now am happy with how the car handles.

Yeh I've read quite a lot about the engines being underrated so thought ide get a baseline figure to start with so if I do mod atleast I've got something to start from.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2017, 01:05 PM   #6
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
Hello and welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolololol View Post
Hi Friends,

Just bought an M4 and wanted to get your insight as I embark on the modding journey. I'm coming from a heavily modified 335i so I assume that many of the upgrades would be similar ?

What ecu tune is the best to go for ? I've had a jb4 before and didn't really like the piggy back approach.

There are so many out there it's best to do some research and make a decision from there.

Akra, Remus, Milltek. It's personal preference

BMS for budget. Eventuri if money no object.

Not unless going for major power.

Planning on taking the car beyond 500hp, so will the standard charge pipe hold out ? It didn't on my n54. If so which one ? ER?

Standard are fine up to 500hp IMO.

Paul's Exhaust mod, is this just about increase of noise or you actually get MPE type performance ?

It's primarily noise. I believe there may be a minor power increase but nothing major.

Would like to replace the tips on the exhaust - are Cyba still the ones to get ? Do they need welding ?

Cyba IMO. They are slip-on.

Suspension.......already have the H&R springs, do the dampers or roll bars need upgrading ? Is this M Performance kit any good or just cosmetic ?

Depends how you use the car. Springs are mostly cosmetic. BMW kit is equivalent to the KW HAS. Adjustable but loses the adaptive I believe. If you track the car the ACS RS kit is worth considering.

Aesthetics. M perf kit, CG Controller for exhaust flaps, exhaust. The list is endless.

All the above are IMO obviously. Enjoy the car.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2017, 01:17 PM   #7
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazC View Post
Hello and welcome!

Quote:
Hi Friends,

There are so many out there it's best to do some research and make a decision from there.

It's primarily noise. I believe there may be a minor power increase but nothing major.

Depends how you use the car. Springs are mostly cosmetic. BMW kit is equivalent to the KW HAS. Adjustable but loses the adaptive I believe. If you track the car the ACS RS kit is worth considering.

Aesthetics. M perf kit, CG Controller for exhaust flaps, exhaust. The list is endless.

I've heard the BMW suspension kit gives no advantage with dampers - so much conflicting intel out there.

Re the ECU tune, I've seen Evolve, VF Engineering and Litchfield. I want a flash tune rather piggy back - just wanted to know which was the tune most bring used in the field.

Now I've heard a lot about these exhaust flap controls - why do I need this ?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 03:58 PM   #8
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolololol
Quote:
Originally Posted by DazC View Post
Hello and welcome!

Quote:
Hi Friends,

I've heard the BMW suspension kit gives no advantage with dampers - so much conflicting intel out there.

Re the ECU tune, I've seen Evolve, VF Engineering and Litchfield. I want a flash tune rather piggy back - just wanted to know which was the tune most bring used in the field.

Now I've heard a lot about these exhaust flap controls - why do I need this ?
It allows you to control the opening and closing of the exhaust valves which can increase / decrease the exhaust note. A bit of a gimmick but I use mine regularly.
Lotus Emira (on order)
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 04:00 PM   #9
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Okay so let's try and simplify things here.

If you're only after over 500bhp, you'll be fine with simple tuning. My car made 473bhp as standard (compared to 550bhp as on sticker). You'll find most M engines making way over sticker price.

Having said that it made that having had Paul's mods that take away the secondary cats which will have some effect on flow. You think the MPE adds power? Hmmmmm... Doubt it.

If you want to go into the high 5's the you will need to change things but up to 540bhp, standard stuff is fine with remap. I would suggest you spend your money on suspension and brake setup to cope with it.

You mention you have HAS. Great - still has crap standard dampers.

If it was me, standard power but with coilovers- you could have 600bhp and wouldn't see where I went (and had so much fun).
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 05:01 PM   #10
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: RR sport SVR, Vent S, 650s spi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post

If you're only after over 500bhp, you'll be fine with simple tuning. My car made 473bhp as standard (compared to 550bhp as on sticker). You'll find most M engines making way over sticker price.

Having said that it made that having had Paul's mods that take away the secondary cats which will have some effect on flow. You think the MPE adds power? Hmmmmm... Doubt it.

If you want to go into the high 5's the you will need to change things but up to 540bhp, standard stuff is fine with remap. I would suggest you spend your money on suspension and brake setup to cope with it.

If it was me, standard power but with coilovers- you could have 600bhp and wouldn't see where I went (and had so much fun).
550 stock eh?
Gone - 2016 F80 CP, 2015 991 Turbo S, 2016 LCI M135i. 2015 F10 CP M5. 2015 X5, 2012 E92 CP M3. 2009 E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 07:02 PM   #11
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5essex View Post
Quote:

550 stock eh?
That's what I thought ?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 07:03 PM   #12
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

So what suspension you recommend buying ? I have the birds kit on my 335i - so happy to invest ?!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 07:06 PM   #13
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

So I should say .... tonight I bought the VRSF downpipes, BMS intakes and tips
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 02:30 AM   #14
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5essex View Post
Quote:

550 stock eh?
You know what I meant. Git...
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 1
JovanUK141.50
      02-05-2017, 03:37 AM   #15
Foretrees
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 YMB-MP Carbon-MPE Carbon

Quote:
Hi Friends,

Enjoy your new car....and lots of mods
      02-05-2017, 04:06 AM   #16
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

So what suspension you recommend buying ? I have the birds kit on my 335i - so happy to invest ?!
Most have gone for KW's - either V3's or Clubsports. I've got V3's.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 05:33 AM   #17
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Damage on them and where to get them bro ? Do I match with H&R springs or it's a total kit ? Do you lose adaptive suspension with the kit ?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 02:32 AM   #18
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Damage on them and where to get them bro ? Do I match with H&R springs or it's a total kit ? Do you lose adaptive suspension with the kit ?
Try here - http://www.kwsuspensions.co.uk/kw_dealersearch/

Sell the H&R springs - KW spring rates and dampers all matched. Yes you will lose the adaptive.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2017, 12:10 PM   #19
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Try here - http://www.kwsuspensions.co.uk/kw_dealersearch/

Sell the H&R springs - KW spring rates and dampers all matched. Yes you will lose the adaptive.
Thanks mate

Do they need proper setting up or simply fit and realignment ?
Appreciate 0