Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

03-04-2014, 11:37 AM   #45
NewNole2001
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 328i, 2015 F8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabe View Post
If i am correct and you use the apple cable... everything works. When using BT your batterie dies instantly... so I did not take the option.
Yeah, Bluetooth does drain your battery quicker than not using Bluetooth, and the phone is charged when plugged in to USB, but the battery drain is nothing approaching "instant." Also, you can charge the phone from a car charger while you listen via Bluetooth and have no battery drain.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #46
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNole2001 View Post
Yeah, Bluetooth does drain your battery quicker than not using Bluetooth, and the phone is charged when plugged in to USB, but the battery drain is nothing approaching "instant." Also, you can charge the phone from a car charger while you listen via Bluetooth and have no battery drain.
just saying, that seems kinda useless. the entire point of the streaming BT is to not use a cord

im back and forth on this one, ill prob pass
      03-04-2014, 11:48 AM   #47
jbockrd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Alpine White/Carbon M3

They got ya!!! $500 bucks to the BMW boys because I hate the short cord that you cant access from the console
      03-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #48
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Thanks for the clarification. I tried searching on mult other forums, and never could decipher what "Enhanced" meant.

Indeed, BMW is trying to stick it to you. $500.

I do think it's partly a software thing, but one problem I have with paying $500 for this option is that when the iPhone 6 or HTC 2 or whatever comes out, the software will be buggy, and BMW will likely be slow to update. So you're either back to a "standard" bluetooth operation, or forced to use an outdated phone. If BMW's software updates were extremely current the newest iOS or Android OS, I'd consider Enhanced. As it stands, I'm thinking I'll pass.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 12:25 PM   #49
NewNole2001
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 328i, 2015 F8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
just saying, that seems kinda useless. the entire point of the streaming BT is to not use a cord

im back and forth on this one, ill prob pass
You're not required to use the cord, but if you're going to be using it for more than an hour or two, you might as well plug in so you don't completely drain the battery. But if you're just hopping in the car for a short drive then you can leave the phone in your pocket and it won't matter. It's convenient.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 12:28 PM   #50
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

I would recommend getting this feature since in the F30 it can't be retrofitted.

The BMW Apps, especially the "my remote" is extremely useful since it allows you to send destinations to the nav using your phone, rather than using the iDrive. "my remote" also lets you locate the car, flash headlights, sound horn, and unlock/lock using your smartphone

The second most useful feature is that it shows album art from streaming radio like Pandora that are BMW Apps compatible.

I'm definitely ordering this, since after having this feature in my F30, cars without it seem so "low tech"
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 12:46 PM   #51
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

Does this means this option adds a cellular data connection to the car since you can locate the car while you are far away from it?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 01:32 PM   #52
Grock
Banned
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: RS5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
There is no Bluetooth Audio standard in the F8X, thus the $500 option.

Enhanced USB and Bluetooth is BMW Apps and Bluetooth Audio.

Standard USB and Bluetooth is just that, USB for the iPod and Bluetooth for the phone calls.

Currently Bluetooth Audio can be enabled by coding in the USA (Combox is standard regardless of Nav), BMW Apps require a FSC.
6AK BMW Online and BMW Apps - listed as standard equipment.

Are you saying above that BMW Apps are part of enhanced USB/BT?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 01:33 PM   #53
Grock
Banned
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
Does this means this option adds a cellular data connection to the car since you can locate the car while you are far away from it?
I'm not sure what kind of a person forgets where they parked their car, particularly an ///M.

Moron maybe?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 01:47 PM   #54
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grock View Post
I'm not sure what kind of a person forgets where they parked their car, particularly an ///M.

Moron maybe?
Regardless whether you are a moron or not, if you can communicate to the car while being far away from it (i.e. no BT or WiFi connectivity), the only way I know to make it possible is that the car has a cellular internet connection so it is reachable via the internet. That mean extra hardware and cell data connectivity service charge. I don't think you need to pay for the internet connectivity, do you?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 01:56 PM   #55
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

BMW Online is part of the BMW Assist.

BMW Apps/Smartphone integration is the Enhanced USB.

Bluetooth Audio is the Enhanced Bluetooth.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 02:10 PM   #56
Grock
Banned
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
BMW Online is part of the BMW Assist.

BMW Apps/Smartphone integration is the Enhanced USB.

Bluetooth Audio is the Enhanced Bluetooth.
This doesn't make any sense.

BMW Apps are standard yet you say they are part of enhanced option.

Maybe I'm stupid.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #57
Grock
Banned
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
Regardless whether you are a moron or not, if you can communicate to the car while being far away from it (i.e. no BT or WiFi connectivity), the only way I know to make it possible is that the car has a cellular internet connection so it is reachable via the internet. That mean extra hardware and cell data connectivity service charge. I don't think you need to pay for the internet connectivity, do you?

But those things come standard on the car already:
-6AK BMW Online and BMW Apps

Therefore no need for enhanced Bluetooth/USB.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #58
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckinzeyzei View Post
I skipped it since I just stream music from usb stick.
Me 2. I stream wirelessly on my M6 it sounds like shit so I always use the cord. Im skipping enhanced Bluetooth personally
      03-04-2014, 04:05 PM   #59
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

What I am saying is that the Enhanced USB is BMW Apps. And BMW Apps and Bluetooth Audio together are 6NS.

BMW Online is 6AK. Nothing else.

The F8X Pricing Guide is incorrect.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 11:43 PM   #60
Grock
Banned
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
What I am saying is that the Enhanced USB is BMW Apps. And BMW Apps and Bluetooth Audio together are 6NS.

BMW Online is 6AK. Nothing else.

The F8X Pricing Guide is incorrect.
Oh I see, Official Pricing Guide is wrong and you are right.

Ok

NEXT!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 05:39 AM   #61
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

This is not the first time an Ordering Guide and Price Lists are wrong.

While you are "rolling your eyes" and getting your panties in a bunch without really proving that I am wrong, looking up codes and making sense of what you are arguing, I am looking at 5 different USA 2014 ordering guides (F30, F32, F10, F15, F01) and all of them show BMW Online as 6AK and nothing else. Then 6NS as the Enhanced USB/Bluetooth with Smartphone integration.

Then I notice that the F8X 6NS is $500 instead of the "old" $250 for what used to be 6NR. The thing is that without BMW Apps in this package then what is there is only Bluetooth Audio and the snap-in baseplate. Twice the money for less; not unusual for BMW but kind of absurd when Bluetooth Audio can be coded for free and they know that. BMW Apps cannot be coded for free at all since MY2012 -they did it on purpose.

The closest that I can find to confirm that BMW Apps was somehow separated from the 6NS is at the bmw.de website. BMW Apps is called 7XP and it is bundled with 606 (Navigation), with 6AK (BMW Online), 6NS (Enhanced USB and Bluetooth with Smartphone integration) all included. But then again, there is no optional 6NS in any USA BMWs other than in this MY2015 F8X so this is not a direct comparison. Perhaps this is a MY2015 change and all other models will show the same changes (7XP) soon.

But if in fact BMW Apps will be standard in the USA F8X then it should show 7XP in the price list separately as a line item and not bundled with the 6AK -like in Germany.

Quote:
Oh I see, Official Pricing Guide is wrong and you are right.

Ok

NEXT!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 08:42 AM   #62
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Pricing guides are often erroneous and I appreciate the help by some to sort this out. I wasn't planning on getting this option. But, I definitely want the BMW iPhone app. I use this on my present M3 and it is awesome for sending locations on the fly to my car. If it is confirmed that we need enhanced usb/bt for that then I am getting it.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 09:06 AM   #63
UK6
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 & 330e

I was over the moon when I saw the standard spec on the M4 in the UK after seeing the US order guide on the internet, but the more I see threads like this the more annoyed I feel, why do bmw seem to rip off the states when they come to standard spec? It's like it used to be over here years ago.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 10:40 AM   #64
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

It is one method to keep the base price low then add nickle and dime options that are pure margin for BMW. Would be nice if a dealer or somebody connected could get confirmation from BMW as to what this actually includes.
      03-05-2014, 12:59 PM   #65
Grock
Banned
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
This is not the first time an Ordering Guide and Price Lists are wrong.

While you are "rolling your eyes" and getting your panties in a bunch without really proving that I am wrong, looking up codes and making sense of what you are arguing, I am looking at 5 different USA 2014 ordering guides (F30, F32, F10, F15, F01) and all of them show BMW Online as 6AK and nothing else. Then 6NS as the Enhanced USB/Bluetooth with Smartphone integration.

Then I notice that the F8X 6NS is $500 instead of the "old" $250 for what used to be 6NR. The thing is that without BMW Apps in this package then what is there is only Bluetooth Audio and the snap-in baseplate. Twice the money for less; not unusual for BMW but kind of absurd when Bluetooth Audio can be coded for free and they know that. BMW Apps cannot be coded for free at all since MY2012 -they did it on purpose.

The closest that I can find to confirm that BMW Apps was somehow separated from the 6NS is at the bmw.de website. BMW Apps is called 7XP and it is bundled with 606 (Navigation), with 6AK (BMW Online), 6NS (Enhanced USB and Bluetooth with Smartphone integration) all included. But then again, there is no optional 6NS in any USA BMWs other than in this MY2015 F8X so this is not a direct comparison. Perhaps this is a MY2015 change and all other models will show the same changes (7XP) soon.

But if in fact BMW Apps will be standard in the USA F8X then it should show 7XP in the price list separately as a line item and not bundled with the 6AK -like in Germany.

Relax, just because that's the way those options were grouped in the past doesn't mean it's still the case. I just went to BMWUSA website and I looked up "Packages", in Technology Pack...BMW Online/BMW Apps are one component and Enhanced USB/BT is another. The key here BMW Online/BMW Apps are always grouped together. I checked the new 3 series and 3GT.

Here is the link:
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...modelcode=143Q
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 02:36 PM   #66
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

You need to look at the Ordering Guide and not the BMWUSA website -which more often than not has errors.

No Ordering Guide so far groups BMW Online with BMW Apps. None. Each has a distinct ordering code. We have not seen the F8X Ordering Guide, only the Pricing Guide. Two different guides.

Again, the F8X Navigation (609) option seems not to follow what the F3X Navigation comes with. Thus the $500 for 6NS when in the F30 it comes with 609.

That's the whole point of the discussion... BMW took something that comes with the optional Nav in the F3X, and made it a $500 option in the F8X with standard Nav.

In reality, nobody knows for sure what additional feature this $500 6NS has over the $250 6NR that it used to be.

Quote:
Relax, just because that's the way those options were grouped in the past doesn't mean it's still the case. I just went to BMWUSA website and I looked up "Packages", in Technology Pack...BMW Online/BMW Apps are one component and Enhanced USB/BT is another. The key here BMW Online/BMW Apps are always grouped together. I checked the new 3 series and 3GT.

Here is the link:
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...modelcode=143Q

Last edited by Technic; 03-05-2014 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 0