GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-14-2018, 11:09 AM   #23
aajjcc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyS4 View Post
Thanks guys, got Bootmod3

Got downpipes too but I dont think I want over 490 whp so I decided to just stick with stock dp. (10-15 whp less is fine).
You won't regret it. The tune really wakes up the car and exhaust. Very smooth power delivery in stage 1.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 11:39 AM   #24
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Getting my bootymod3 tomorrow. Looking forward to it.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 12:11 PM   #25
jninja
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aajjcc View Post
Quote:
Thanks guys, got Bootmod3

Got downpipes too but I dont think I want over 490 whp so I decided to just stick with stock dp. (10-15 whp less is fine).
You won't regret it. The tune really wakes up the car and exhaust. Very smooth power delivery in stage 1.
Side note: how does the tune affect exhaust? (Aside from burbles or startup roar)
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 12:59 PM   #26
breakfastlinks
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VF-Engineering View Post

Appreciate the advice!

So far it's been entirely organic, so with a little effort I'm
sure it would make a significant difference.

A search with more general terms seems to do better...

https://www.google.com/search=bmw+m4+ECU+Tuning

https://www.google.com/search=bmw+m4+tuning

https://www.google.com/search=bmw+M3/M4+software

I can probably run an audit and report unless you already have an SEO contract. I run a digital marketing agency specializing in SEO/PPC/SMA/etc.etc. + web design. :P
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 01:51 PM   #27
FlyS4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 CP

It looks like the tune is in fact traceable and in case something does go wrong they will deny it at the dealer. Still debating either I should do it or return the tune back for a refund.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 02:06 PM   #28
ZoneLaps
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarPundit View Post
I’m having the ESS stage 1 Tune installed this weekend. The only other power mods I will be running is drop in BMS filters, carbon delete, and AA (v1) exhaust (mid pipe and axle back). Although I won’t be running downpipes, I will be doing a baseline, bone stock, dyno before the mods this week, and another dyno next week after the tune and exhaust are in.

ESS doesn’t seem to get much attention on the forum, but it’s a solid company that has been in the BMW tuning business for a long time. I’ll be posting my results in the next week or two if you’re interested.

Either way, best of luck with what you decide and I’ll be interested to hear how you like it.
FYI, I just had my ESS Stage 1+ tune dynoed and lost 6 hp over stock (but gained 12 torque). We are dynoing again in half an hour just in case it was overheated or something.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 03:54 PM   #29
ZoneLaps
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaywhateveryo View Post
FYI, I just had my ESS Stage 1+ tune dynoed and lost 6 hp over stock (but gained 12 torque). We are dynoing again in half an hour just in case it was overheated or something.
Just a quick update, Tom at forum sponsor EAS is looking into this for me. I'll refrain from posting anything else about it until we've come up with a solution.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 05:52 PM   #30
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 DCT, 2019 Raptor

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Quote:
Just a quick update, Tom at forum sponsor EAS is looking into this for me. I'll refrain from posting anything else about it until we've come up with a solution.
I’ll be very interested to hear how this comes out! I’d be very bummed with that kind of result. I’m expecting +50! Mine is getting installed by EAS as well this Saturday.
      06-14-2018, 06:27 PM   #31
ZoneLaps
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I’ll be very interested to hear how this comes out! I’d be very bummed with that kind of result. I’m expecting +50! Mine is getting installed by EAS as well this Saturday.
EAS has been top notch so far in all of my dealings with them. And I picked the ESS tune for very good reasons, as I’m sure you have. It has to be some sort of error in the installation. The burbles sound great btw, so my recommendation would be to include them.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 07:32 PM   #32
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Quote:
EAS has been top notch so far in all of my dealings with them. And I picked the ESS tune for very good reasons, as I’m sure you have. It has to be some sort of error in the installation. The burbles sound great btw, so my recommendation would be to include them.
I did opt for the burbles. Love em. I picked the ESS tune mainly because it seemed to be a safe, conservative product from an otherwise well established BMW tuning company. I was originally thinking about GIAC, but they didn’t seem to be S established in the BMW sphere, and only offered a bench flash. I wanted OBD2 and the ability to flash it back to stock before service, if necessary. BM3 seemed intimidating a month ago when I was trying to make the decision. But it doesn’t seem so much now, and the praise it gets from those in the know (including EAS and AT) along with the ability to customize, now seem very appealing.
      06-16-2018, 08:10 PM   #33
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Quote:
I did opt for the burbles. Love em. I picked the ESS tune mainly because it seemed to be a safe, conservative product from an otherwise well established BMW tuning company. I was originally thinking about GIAC, but they didn’t seem to be S established in the BMW sphere, and only offered a bench flash. I wanted OBD2 and the ability to flash it back to stock before service, if necessary. BM3 seemed intimidating a month ago when I was trying to make the decision. But it doesn’t seem so much now, and the praise it gets from those in the know (including EAS and AT) along with the ability to customize, now seem very appealing.
Got the ESS tune today and I’m very impressed with it. Haven’t re-dynoed it yet, but the butt dyno says it’s making power.

Hope yours gets sorted.
      06-16-2018, 09:18 PM   #34
ZoneLaps
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Got the ESS tune today and I’m very impressed with it. Haven’t re-dynoed it yet, but the butt dyno says it’s making power.

Hope yours gets sorted.
Thanks. Yesterday, I had asked for a refund and was on the verge (like literally minutes away) from flashing back to stock and purchasing a competitor's tune.

But then someone from this forum was nice enough to get me in touch with the General Manager of ESS North America who took about an hour out of his day to remote in to my laptop, reinstall a modified version of the file, talk me through why the dyno probably showed what it did, etc. Long story short, the engine will lower power if the temperatures are extreme, and it was 106 degrees F with only a small fan pointed at the engine.

The car feels very fast, but I don't trust my butt dyno. I'm going to bring it in to get dynoed next week. I'll do it in the morning when the temperature is high 80s instead of 105 degrees plus. I'll be sure to let you know what the numbers look like, and please do let me know yours as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 11:02 PM   #35
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Good to hear ESS customer service stepped up. I will post my numbers when I get them.
      06-17-2018, 08:59 AM   #36
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
It looks like the tune is in fact traceable and in case something does go wrong they will deny it at the dealer. Still debating either I should do it or return the tune back for a refund.
I think all tunes for the platform are traceable in one way or the other, including JB4. But sub'd just in case I am wrong.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 02:04 AM   #37
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
So the tune is dynoed. The peak delta is about 60 hp at 3700 rpm and 71 lb-ft at 3000 rpm. However ultimate peak hp delta is only 32 hp at 6650 rpm. Basically the tune makes 40-60 hp extra between 3000 and 5000 rpm, but tapers off above that. I'm guessing I would get more with BM3 based on the comparable dynos I've seen. I'm a tiny bit disappointed that I didn't get more over the full range, but the car is definitely faster and stronger, especially in the most useable rpm range. I'm going make a thread tracking my mods and I'll post the dynos.

06-20-2018, 02:47 PM   #38
ZoneLaps
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
So the tune is dynoed. The peak delta is about 60 hp at 3700 rpm and 71 lb-ft at 3000 rpm. However ultimate peak hp delta is only 32 hp at 6650 rpm. Basically the tune makes 40-60 hp extra between 3000 and 5000 rpm, but tapers off above that. I'm guessing I would get more with BM3 based on the comparable dynos I've seen. I'm a tiny bit disappointed that I didn't get more over the full range, but the car is definitely faster and stronger, especially in the most useable rpm range. I'm going make a thread tracking my mods and I'll post the dynos.

I'm going to post my dyno from today as well. Short story is that my peak HP/TQ jumped about 50 HP / 95 TQ. Yours definitely seems on the lower end of change. Let's compare notes in another thread (either yours or mine) to avoid derailing this one.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 03:38 PM   #39
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm going to post my dyno from today as well. Short story is that my peak HP/TQ jumped about 50 HP / 95 TQ. Yours definitely seems on the lower end of change. Let's compare notes in another thread (either yours or mine) to avoid derailing this one.
That sounds really good. I'm glad you got it sorted out. Probably too late to refrain from jacking the thread (sorry OP ), but let's definitely compare notes in one of our respective other threads.

In the meantime, I have a call into EAS and they are going to review my dynos with ESS to see what they can see.
      06-20-2018, 03:49 PM   #40
ZoneLaps
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That sounds really good. I'm glad you got it sorted out. Probably too late to refrain from jacking the thread (sorry OP ), but let's definitely compare notes in one of our respective other threads.

In the meantime, I have a call into EAS and they are going to review my dynos with ESS to see what they can see.
Do you have ZCP? That could account for some of the difference, as you'd probably have a higher baseline.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 03:52 PM   #41
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Quote:
Do you have ZCP? That could account for some of the difference, as you'd probably have a higher baseline.
Nope. Non-ZCP.