BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-18-2017, 12:17 AM   #23
soobieajax325
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3, WRX, S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdubf80 View Post
AWE Resonated paired to catless downpipes. Best sound and no rasp.
Another exhaust thread....
But i'd get this setup. Sounds like a cigarette boat at idle
Appreciate 1
Josh/AWE558.50
      08-18-2017, 12:19 AM   #24
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by soobieajax325 View Post
I like exhaust threads, they tend to be more civilized than say a tune comparison thread

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 2
isugoo248.00
      08-18-2017, 12:30 AM   #25
hdubf80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 ///M3 AW/SO/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by soobieajax325 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdubf80 View Post
AWE Resonated paired to catless downpipes. Best sound and no rasp.
lol I've never heard a cigarette boat in person
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 01:55 AM   #26
Arshdeep121
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

What about awe resonated without downpipes or with downpipes. Also I've seen many people that have mpe rear and fabspeed mid pipe.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 02:03 AM   #27
hdubf80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 ///M3 AW/SO/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arshdeep121 View Post
What about awe resonated without downpipes or with downpipes. Also I've seen many people that have mpe rear and fabspeed mid pipe.
If you're not gonna get downpipes get AWE Non Resonated, Remus, or Fi exhaust. If you get downpipes to eliminate rasp I saw AWE Resonated is your best choice.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 02:20 AM   #28
jim996
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

I jammed the flaps open by unplugging them. Sound is much better than stock. I've also bought a spare ZCP exhaust secon had for £100. Ive painted the horrible back box black for a cleaner look and am getting the secondary cats removed from it before fitting it. This should be louder than stock. If I'm still not happy the next step will be an xpipe instead of the middle resonator and then finally a modification to the back box if it's still not right. I spent my money on coilovers rather than a Remus or Akropovik but I think modifying a standard exhaust will still give a good result for under £500 rather than spending thousands
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 02:30 AM   #29
cobbyy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
Whatever exhaust you want, I'd recommend getting the Active Autowerke midpipes in tandem with whatever you want.

The rasp on our cars can be pretty bad on setups that don't have the AA midpipes. You can pair it with any number of axle backs to get your desired sound. Want loud and obnoxious? You do what I did and get a Remus axle back. You want a bit more tamed but still louder than stock? You can go Dinan. The list goes on and on. I enjoy rasp, but only to a certain extent. Typically, the AA midpipes eliminate most of the rasp, but it's reintroduced by catless downpipes, so it's perfect for me.

One thing I will however say with absolute certainty is this - videos suck, and you need to hear exhausts in person to really get a good understanding of how they sound like. I cannot for the life of me ever capture just how absurd my exhaust setup is - it's loud. Your best bet is to look for an M3/M4 meet up and listen to various setups. And remember - downpipes play a huge role in sound. If you plan on going catless downpipes, you must plan accordingly. If you go for a Remus catback (which sounds very nice) you cannot go for catless downpipes as the rasp and noise will make you want to strangle baby seals.

But again, try to hear these setups in person. I like to say I got lucky in receiving the sound I wanted from the AA midpipes, Remus axle back, and VRSF downpipes. You may not be so lucky! So try to find some cars to hear in person to make an educated, well-informed purchase. Good luck!
This is the set up I want also but from hearing it over two or three different cars with this set up on youtube, they all sound different. The infamous atlantis blue m3 got me interested in this set up but other m4 with this set up on youtube got me second thought.. i would love to hear it in person..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 03:27 AM   #30
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbyy View Post
This is the set up I want also but from hearing it over two or three different cars with this set up on youtube, they all sound different. The infamous atlantis blue m3 got me interested in this set up but other m4 with this set up on youtube got me second thought.. i would love to hear it in person..
Sent you a PM
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 03:43 AM   #31
cobbyy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.AutoTalent View Post
Quote:
Sent you a PM
PMd you back
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 03:45 AM   #32
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sent you a PM
PMd you back
Nothing in my inbox
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 06:57 AM   #33
///M3_F80
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arshdeep121 View Post
What sound are you after? Do you have a budget?

This plus many other factors come into play.

I personally have heard the MPE w/Fabspeed MP and it sounds incredible. Nice deep tone. Is this what you are after?

A lot of your questions can be answered via search on here and YouTube. In the end the only way you will truly know if you like what you hear is by hearing it in person and that should help determine the sound that you like.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 09:13 AM   #34
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim996 View Post
I jammed the flaps open by unplugging them. Sound is much better than stock. I've also bought a spare ZCP exhaust secon had for £100. Ive painted the horrible back box black for a cleaner look and am getting the secondary cats removed from it before fitting it. This should be louder than stock. If I'm still not happy the next step will be an xpipe instead of the middle resonator and then finally a modification to the back box if it's still not right. I spent my money on coilovers rather than a Remus or Akropovik but I think modifying a standard exhaust will still give a good result for under £500 rather than spending thousands
Sounds like a good strategy. I am with you on not spending a fortune on an exhaust system for this car, especially since none of them truly sound amazing due to the s55 characteristics.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 10:17 AM   #35
YAZBIMM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 YMB BMW M4

AA midpipe + Remus axleback.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 12:08 AM   #36
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Quote:
Which atlantis blue m3 you referring to? Dubsesd?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 01:24 AM   #37
cobbyy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoDivine View Post
Quote:
This one
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-19-2017, 09:41 PM   #38
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoDivine View Post
Quote:
This one
@AhsanU
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 12:06 PM   #39
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:
@AhsanU
Quote:
This one
That would be me! dub's one of the other guys on these forums that has Atlantis Blue, along with the OG Barron.

My setup is loud. Since that video, the car has only gotten a bit more aggressive sounding due to the effects of my bootmod3 flash tune.

The M4 that has this I believe has stock downpipes, I may be wrong here. I have been requested a few times to make more videos, detailing the sound but I'm just so busy that I can't even find time to make videos, other than lame ones where I'm just pointing my camera and revving like a dbag through the streets at 2 a.m.

Here's a clip:

It's loud brother, really loud. If you've got burbles and are in sport/sport+ mode, you'll turn a lot of heads.

If you've got any questions, let me know!
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 0