R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-01-2014, 07:24 PM   #45
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3er
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
Why would that matter? Grow some balls and use launch control if your gonna race someone. Plus why would having 420hp/450tq power spike from a stop help with the car getting traction. Once again this thread is invalid. Turbo lag use to be a gap in shifts for the turbo to spool. This is none existent on this car. If your referring to a the gap between 2k and 3k learn how to drive.
Ashley Schaeffer, is that really you!?

"I had a dream about this moment... When I was making love... to my wife Donna. On top a her; powerful thrusts, filling the sultry night air. Heavy breath. My son Gabriel walked in, little boy. My wife sprung out of bed and said "No, Gabriel! Leave!" And I said "No, honey, shut your mouth, let him watch." Let him watch what is being consecrated here. And I want the people to watch what is going to be consecrated here. And I will bring my son down here, and he will watch."
I can feel it, down in my plums
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2014, 07:28 PM   #46
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Yes, definitely detectable. But greatly improved. To say it is non-existent is just plain silly.

My GTI had greater lag. My n55 has significantly less. And the s55 even less so. But it is there. I'd still take that any day of the week over an s65 v8.

The lag is much less noticeable in the power band, so in some regards it has been greatly reduced. But off the line, it's still a 330i. For a second or so. So there is that if it matters to you. Splitting hairs at this point.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 07:48 PM   #47
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
So how do u downshift when starting from a stop in first gear and accelerating up through the gears to 5th gear?
Why would that matter? Grow some balls and use launch control if your gonna race someone. Plus why would having 420hp/450tq power spike from a stop help with the car getting traction. Once again this thread is invalid. Turbo lag use to be a gap in shifts for the turbo to spool. This is none existent on this car. If your referring to a the gap between 2k and 3k learn how to drive.
Yep car is a beast balls out - I just wish on the 20 mile commute to work each day I could drive it that way without getting arrested. Not every day is a track day.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 08:04 PM   #48
irablumberg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

The M4 has very little lag, but it is there. I am reminded of it every time I drive my wife's C63. That engine has the most linear and smooth power delivery of anything I have ever driven while at the same time being a real beast. I just wish the chassis and transmission were the equal of the engine ;-).

Nonetheless, the only car I have ever driven with less turbo lag was my 2014 GT-R. Unless you floored it at 1,200 RPM in a high gear, you would never know that car had a turbo or two.

With the M4 in sport mode when accelerating on the freeway from 65 to 75 there is definitely some acceleration followed by more acceleration that is not quite linear. Not really a problem, but not non-existent either.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 08:11 PM   #49
chicochico
Private
Rep
Drives: YMB/SS M4

Quote:
Downshift, Smart one
Sometimes I wonder why I spend my time here. Then I read a post like that and I remember. Made my day loool
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 08:14 PM   #50
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 90 GTR, 21 Gladiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclowd9901 View Post
Hey, that's me!

You don't have a valid opinion. You're not a professional driver. You're not a professional reviewer. You're not a professional anything when it comes to cars. Your opinion isn't valid on the matter. You have *an* opinion, which is nice. You're free to have that, and you're certainly free to voice it. But I just want to make sure no one is under the impression that you know what you're talking about.

Really, it's nothing personal. I just think when you start your post "I don't know what the professionals are on about," it's a little telling. To put it another way, I wouldn't pretend like I understood what a great beer is supposed to taste like, just because I've had a ton of it.
I sure am glad BMW doesn't restrict sales to professional drivers only...I'd hate to see that business model.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 08:38 PM   #51
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicochico
Quote:
Downshift, Smart one
Sometimes I wonder why I spend my time here. Then I read a post like that and I remember. Made my day loool
And thank you
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 09:01 PM   #52
Money2536
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 | 992 GT3 Touring

OP, I think about all the reviews I've read stating there is no turbo lag every time I drive the car and wonder if maybe they were only hammering on the car. I have a very noticeable amount of lag. Just roll on the throttle in any gear. I think some people are so in love with their car that they cannot fathom that it's not perfect.

I've been thinking about this car a lot. I think it looks fantastic, the interior is great; but this car doesn't even come close to feeling special like my E92 M3. This car is a very nice, fast car that I'll daily drive and then discard in a few years.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 09:01 PM   #53
Lantern Rouge
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
I've actually found Production Lag to be a bigger issue with the F80... Mine was due for delivery in October and I'm still waiting. I can't even weigh in on the Turbo Lag topic yet, so consider yourselves all more fortunate than me
Appreciate 2
backagain345.00
      12-01-2014, 09:22 PM   #54
Algol
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money2536 View Post
OP, I think about all the reviews I've read stating there is no turbo lag every time I drive the car and wonder if maybe they were only hammering on the car. I have a very noticeable amount of lag. Just roll on the throttle in any gear. I think some people are so in love with their car that they cannot fathom that it's not perfect.
"Roll on the throttle in any gear". Are you doing this with DTC or MDM on?

Folks: if you think you are experiencing turbo lag, turn OFF DTC (in a large, empty lot) and let us know if you experience the same feeling. I deeply suspect the people experiencing 'turbo lag' do not know what exactly that is.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2014, 09:27 PM   #55
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money2536 View Post

Folks: if you think you are experiencing turbo lag, turn OFF DTC (in a large, empty lot and let us know if you experience the same feeling. I deeply suspect the people experiencing 'turbo lag' do not know what exactly that is.
Amen
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #56
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money2536
Some BMW fanboys are so defensive and immediately attack rather than coming up with an intelligent argument. This doesn't happen on most other forums.

I've been thinking about this car a lot. I think it looks fantastic, the interior is great; but this car doesn't even come close to feeling special like my E92 M3. This car is a very nice, fast car that I'll daily drive and then discard in a few years.
Bimmer fan boy or not your mashing on the throttle in to low of a gear. Once you get in this cars power band(which isn't that high) it doesn't stop. I have 6600 miles in two months. I drive extremly hard. There is no lag. Period
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2014, 09:44 PM   #57
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Seems to be a lot of misconception about what "turbo lag" is. Listen to this excellent explanation by Steve Dinan starting at 42 mins.

http://dinancars.com/steve-dinan-int...-tire-podcast/
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 09:54 PM   #58
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3
Seems to be a lot of misconception about what "turbo lag" is. Listen to this excellent explanation by Steve Dinan starting at 42 mins.

http://dinancars.com/steve-dinan-int...-tire-podcast/" rel="" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://dinancars.com...e-podcast/</a>
"Technically the person that told you where where wrong was right"
Steven Dinan
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 10:08 PM   #59
M3guy3
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Never understood why this was even considered an issue in the n54/n55 and is now being talked about in the s55. It is hardly an inconvenience in any way as the spool is near instantaneous... you do get mounds of tq instead so no matter how responsive an s65 would be, it woud still get walked down low.
the S65 was made more for the track, the car is always in the high RPMs.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 10:10 PM   #60
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

Is lag being confused with lug here? The S55 has a power band like every other combustible engine on the planet. If the engine is revving above 2 K and you are noticing lag, take your car in for service because there is something wrong with it.
      12-01-2014, 10:13 PM   #61
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4TW
Is lag being confused with lug here? The S55 has a power band like every other combustible engine on the planet. If the engine is revving above 2 K and you are noticing lag, take your car in for service because there is something wrong with it.
I think the truth behind this is as one poster says he only drives it to work . Some people just own these cars cause it's a symbol. I think the truth here is that most of these people don't open these cars up enough to even know what they are talking about.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 10:17 PM   #62
Money2536
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post

http://dinancars.com/steve-dinan-int...-tire-podcast/
Good stuff. So let's call it "poor turbo response at low RPM."
Appreciate 2
      12-01-2014, 10:22 PM   #63
Money2536
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algol View Post

Folks: if you think you are experiencing turbo lag, turn OFF DTC (in a large, empty lot) and let us know if you experience the same feeling. I deeply suspect the people experiencing 'turbo lag' do not know what exactly that is.
There is a bright light on the dash that tells you when the traction control is engaged.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 10:28 PM   #64
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money2536
Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post

http://dinancars.com/steve-dinan-int...-tire-podcast/" rel="" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://dinancars.com...e-podcast/</a>
Good stuff. So let's call it "poor turbo response at low RPM."
So what do you call the e92 throttle response from 1-3k? A miracle?
Appreciate 2
      12-02-2014, 12:54 AM   #65
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Not sure why there is so much hate for a guy who owns two F80s and is posting his opinion. He's not even concerned about it and loves his BMWs. Most of us are BMW enthusiasts and all of us are car enthusiasts so let's have some respect for each other!

I probably shouldn't venture into popcorn territory here, but what the heck...I've been driving M cars for 10 years and currently own two naturally aspirated masterpieces (IMO, of course) the S62 in my e39 M5 and the S54 in my M coupe. Of course, no turbo lag in either...the S62 has great low-down torque while the S54 is a (relatively of course) gutless wonder low down and awakes with shrieking vengeance after 4K RPM to to its 8K limiter. So different and yet both so wonderful. I feel the same way about the 1M (lots of seat time) and the F8X (very limited time so far, but that will change unless I wait for the M2!). Turbo lag? Yes there is a small amount, IMO (flame suit on), compared to the S62. Fun? You bet. I actually came to enjoy the 1M so much that when I got back in my M5, I was missing that very small amount of turbo lag/boost. BTW I do not feel the characteristics of a modern turbo engine (better phrase than turbo lag ) interfere with daily driving or aggressive driving at all.

It's all good.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 01:57 AM   #66
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

The lag is there initially but once you're in the boost and you let it off, the turbos do keep spinning and you can get back in the boost without any hiccup which is a negative trait of traditional turbo cars.

It's amazing how BMW's marketing can shape people into believing what they want them to hear.
Appreciate 0