BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

07-01-2015, 08:28 AM   #23
BGR
Captain
Rep
Drives: C7 GS 7MT; e90 M3 6MT

I've not driven a Cayanne, but have spent quite a bit of time in a recent Touareg tdi, and wasn't too terribly impressed. Not sure how similar or different the two are. The GX is an 07.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 09:48 AM   #24
sdshah
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85 | Panamera GTS

Let me know if your selling the Cayman. I could be interested.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 03:45 PM   #25
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Last great drivers car? The Cayman GTS and GT4 would like a word with you.

As would about 30 other vehicles available for sale today. We're very lucky to have more options than ever when it comes to great drivers cars. And you are lucky to own one of the best.
      07-01-2015, 03:56 PM   #26
BGR
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian
Last great drivers car? The Cayman GTS and GT4 would like a word with you.

As would about 30 other vehicles available for sale today. We're very lucky to have more options than ever when it comes to great drivers cars. And you are lucky to own one of the best.
I was referring to the Cayman chassis as a whole. They are moving to a turbo 4, just like everyone else going FI. Sure, it might be quicker around a track and better on paper, but the driving experience isn't the same.

I would love to hear 5 of the 30 other models you refer to that come with a manual transmission and naturally aspirated engine with a price under $100k.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2015, 07:54 PM   #27
tareemaa
Bimmer Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

The cayman s is badass, with that said, they are a dime a dozen, not to discount how awesome or premium the car is, but, if your not driving it, get rid of it.

The m3 is an awesome car and it's insanely powerful, you will no doubt enjoy it on and off the track.

As much as I'd like something exotic I don't know if I'd enjoy having a car im not driving the sh*t out of.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 03:47 PM   #28
bigdog1250
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Sakhir M4

I'd like to mirror the others in here, drive your damn Cayman!

I love my M4 and chose it over the Cayman because I only have one car and wanted something more well rounded. I'm also a fan of cars with more torque and I was selling my C6 Z06 so I didn't want to take too much of a power hit.

If I had a second larger car, I'd definitely still have a 2-seater in my garage and the Cayman is one of the best and most beautiful.

Go ring it out!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 08:19 PM   #29
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

M3/m4 is fine if you are at the 4days a year level. It is a lot of car

I passed on 981 to get m3 so im biased but seems like a good idea to switch if you'd like the m3 better

I'd be singing a different tune if it was a more collectible car like 987 cayman r or a gt4
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 08:59 PM   #30
EfEightyM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tareemaa View Post
The cayman s is badass, with that said, they are a dime a dozen, not to discount how awesome or premium the car is, but, if your not driving it, get rid of it.

The m3 is an awesome car and it's insanely powerful, you will no doubt enjoy it on and off the track.

As much as I'd like something exotic I don't know if I'd enjoy having a car im not driving the sh*t out of.
I disagree on the M3. I have found that while it's powerful, unless you're really ripping on it, it's not fun to drive. The total lack of feel and feedback also makes it boring to drive. I have not really taken to BMWs turbo implementation as an enjoyable experience. There has always been something that I feel is missing.
To boot, I just can't find anything enjoyable about the aural experience, or lack thereof. Active sound only makes it worse too.
That said, I am moving to a 991. There isn't a better all around performance GT available...and it still feels soulful and special in every way. I also value feel, feedback, grip, and handling more so than straight line speed so the 911 hits in those area a bunch of notches up while being more than fast enough. And on track, the 911 is the car you are going to be faster in from the start and only faster as the laps and day goes on.

Last edited by EfEightyM3; 07-02-2015 at 11:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 10:23 PM   #31
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

I feel the M3 to have tons of feel and feedback. I find the cayman to be extremely boring unless your driving it hard.
Appreciate 2
      07-02-2015, 11:09 PM   #32
tcpsoft
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
One of the local BMW club racing guys here had a 981 Cayman S, E92 M3 before that, GTR before that, the list goes on. He traded in the 981 CS and ordered an F80 for ED right after driving one and says this is his long-term car.

I traded a 987 Cayman in for my F80, but that was completely different than the 981. I drove a few 981 CS cars and while I loved the performance, I just couldn't get into them enough to feel good about paying that much for two seats. I had been waffling over the 981, Macan Turbo, 991, Lotus Evora, Alfa 4C, but only the F80 inspired me to plunk down the cash without a second thought.

2015 M3 DCT (sold)
2008 Lotus Exige S240 - too many mods to list (sold)
2007 Lotus Exige S (RIP)
2006 MINI Cooper S (sold)
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2015, 11:23 PM   #33
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
I feel the M3 to have tons of feel and feedback. I find the cayman to be extremely boring unless your driving it hard.
If you find a cayman boring you're doing it wrong.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2015, 11:34 PM   #34
EfEightyM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
So arguably the best handling car out there is boring?

My experience with them is the polar opposite. But as I said above, I value handling and a responsive engine rather than one that has a hard time putting power down, and really lacks on the top end.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 11:45 PM   #35
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EfEightyM3 View Post
So arguably the best handling car out there is boring?

My experience with them is the polar opposite. But as I said above, I value handling and a responsive engine rather than one that has a hard time putting power down, and really lacks on the top end.
Hey we all like what we like and i think off the race track the cayman is to civilized. I'll be honest I enjoy a more raw experience. I'm a 911 man.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 12:01 AM   #36
EfEightyM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Hey we all like what we like and i think off the race track the cayman is to civilized. I'll be honest I enjoy a more raw experience. I'm a 911 man.
The Cayman is so easy to drive and extract a lot out of and makes even a novice driver look very good. I do think the Cayman does provide a damn visceral connected experience.
The 911 is still THE car to have for street and track IMO especially since anything without a GT(#) are GT cars. But yea, still a raw and emotional experience either way.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 07:01 AM   #37
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EfEightyM3 View Post
The Cayman is so easy to drive and extract a lot out of and makes even a novice driver look very good. I do think the Cayman does provide a damn visceral connected experience.
The 911 is still THE car to have for street and track IMO especially since anything without a GT(#) are GT cars. But yea, still a raw and emotional experience either way.
The cayman is easy to drive and amazing on the track. Please don't misunderstand me. I really like the cayman but have tracked every trim model Standard, S, GTS (no GT4 yet). The more power they add the more I enjoy it. When I talk about it being not as fun I mean more so on the street at slower speeds. Also I like to slide a bit and its a little scary to be in most mid-engine cars. The 911 is my favorite. I'm hope for a GT3 next.

While some people say the F8x has no soul I find it to have one, a great one. It's just a different car then the E9x M3. The engine is the main point. BMW gave us a bespoke V8 race engine. That was the shining star. It gave the car character but what made the engine great people complained about. Throttle to touchy, no low end torque, you have really rev it to get power, and bad full consumption. I really wanted a turbo V8 and I hope the next M3 gives it to us.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 01:33 PM   #38
BGR
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the comments.

The only car around here available is an F82 with DCT. I'm assuming the driving dynamics will be essentially the same as the F80, sans the 6MT.

The more I drive it back to back with the Cayman, the more the Cayman shines in terms of engine, ride, and handling. Yes, the M is a little more comfortable and practical, but I think my decision has been made more now.

I am going to get my name on the list for the M2 until we see more specs on that. In the meantime, I'll drive the piss out of the Cayman like most here suggest.

Also, mid engine snap oversteer is a very real thing and can bite inexperienced drivers very quickly.

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 01:33 PM   #39
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

dmboone25 went to the Cayman S after considering the M2. White exterior with black rims just like the OP, so I thought it would be worth posting:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...1144096&page=4
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 02:31 PM   #40
BGR
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbear
dmboone25 went to the Cayman S after considering the M2. White exterior with black rims just like the OP, so I thought it would be worth posting:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...096&page=4
Looks like he got a nice car (except the PDK ha).

I would never buy a Porsche new unless it was of the GT variety.

My Cayman S built out was a $88k MSRP car (Porsche options are crazy). I assume the original owner paid close to that since the 981 had just come out.

Fast forward 18 months and 8,000 miles, and I paid just under $65k for it, certified, which means I have Porsche original bumper to bumper warranty until 6/2019 or 100k miles. I like buying new as much as anyone but it would be hard to justify that.
Appreciate 2
      07-04-2015, 01:30 PM   #41
bates1325
2021 X3MC
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC / R8V10 Gated

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
I have both an f80 and a 911. While I haven't had the f80 for a very long time, I can already tell how much more pleasant it is to daily drive versus my 991. I know I have a manual, but to daily drive the 911 in traffic can be a chore. The f80 is simply more comfortable, I worry less about some jack ass dinging up the car in a parking lot, and it's an easier car to deal with on a day to day basis. I know a lot of people here are saying the cayman is more raw and you get a more pure feeling but do you really bank turns hard or push the car to that limit where it makes that difference while on the street daily? With a tune and downpipes that m3 is going to put a smile on your face every time you throttle from a light or to pass someone up. If you could only have one car, I would pick something you enjoy 99% of the time (street) versus 1% of the time (track). But that's my two cents. You will love either car!

2021 X3MC Black / Black

My Engine Table Designs -> https://www.instagram.com/tombatesdesign/
Appreciate 2
      07-04-2015, 02:40 PM   #42
BGR
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bates1325
I have both an f80 and a 911. While I haven't had the f80 for a very long time, I can already tell how much more pleasant it is to daily drive versus my 991. I know I have a manual, but to daily drive the 911 in traffic can be a chore. The f80 is simply more comfortable, I worry less about some jack ass dinging up the car in a parking lot, and it's an easier car to deal with on a day to day basis. I know a lot of people here are saying the cayman is more raw and you get a more pure feeling but do you really bank turns hard or push the car to that limit where it makes that difference while on the street daily? With a tune and downpipes that m3 is going to put a smile on your face every time you throttle from a light or to pass someone up. If you could only have one car, I would pick something you enjoy 99% of the time (street) versus 1% of the time (track). But that's my two cents. You will love either car!
That's actually what I ended up deciding after another test drive.

If the car was my only car and had to be a daily driver, the F80 would win. But since I am fortunate enough to have the GX to absorb the dings on my daily routine, the Cayman S is going to stay. Driving it home after testing the M was worlds difference in terms of feel, handling, visceral experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 03:52 PM   #43
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post

If the car was my only car and had to be a daily driver, the F80 would win. But since I am fortunate enough to have the GX to absorb the dings on my daily routine, the Cayman S is going to stay. Driving it home after testing the M was worlds difference in terms of feel, handling, visceral experience.
Agreed. I reached the same conclusion. Instead of a single-car compromise, own one good daily driver, and own the most fun (even if impractical) car you can afford as an additional car.
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2015, 06:38 PM   #44
EfEightyM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bates1325 View Post
I'd pick the 991, that's why I'm selling to make the big upgrade.

I have to respectfully disagree on the rest. The manual gearbox in the 991 is a masterpiece and certainly the 6mt in my F80 M3 is much improved over any BMW I've owned but does not even hold a candle to a Porsche manual.
My F80 M3 has been one of the shortest cars I have ever owned. It frankly never thrilled me, and even the M4 with JB4 and downpipes i was in a few weeks ago just didn't do it either. Straight line acceleration really fades quick. There's always someone faster out there. I prefer the car the puts smiles on because it handles beautifully with precision and feedback. The M3 is not that car.
I actually think a 991 is a more comfortable and pleasant car to drive given how much more advanced the suspension is vs the M3 and M4. That difference really is exponentially seen on the track, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post

A little unfair to compare a Cayman of any model to something made by the M division, but your points are quite valid. Feel, handling and the really planted and visceral feast of sounds, senses and emotion will not be matched in the Cayman by many cars. You need something two to three times more expensive to to do.
Appreciate 0