Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

11-18-2014, 01:54 PM   #45
dclowd9901
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Wow, how did the car stay that clean with all the driving through storms? The car looks really sharp against the scenic backdrops, congrats!
Thanks for the kind words! I ended up washing the thing twice during the trip: once after Poland beat it up, and once again right before dropping it off (you actually have to do this). Sadly, these washes occurred in automated car washes I'll have to treat it to a nice wax when it gets here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Excellent write up mate! And very honest also. Many just say everything is "amazing" when they travel, but you were able to give many some actual tips. Nice to see you visited my home country of Belgium!
Thanks! I should've finished this journal a while ago, but we only got home basically a day ago, so I haven't really had time.

Your home country was gorgeous, and I wish I could've gone further in to see more. I really love that part of Europe. I'd say Western Germany/Eastern Belgium and Northeastern Italy/Southwestern Switzerland were probably my two favorite locations of all.
      11-19-2014, 12:15 AM   #46
bimmerlike
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 roadster

Impressive!!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 02:45 AM   #47
.BMW.
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW F11/F31

Beautiful pictures!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 06:53 AM   #48
Gabirex
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaimpally View Post
Thanks for sharing! <sigh> I am going to have to do an ED one of these days. The tires might be Conti DWS, my current favorite tires. Amazing performance in rain.
In my opinion "all weather" tyres are a rather weak solution either for summer and also for winter (winter= rain, snow, ice)
I would stay away from those, especailly I would never put such an expensive car on those
Its like a "winter bikini" and a "summer anorak"

Nevertheless Continental has the best winter tyres period.
Those are called ContiWintwerContact TS 810 or TS 830 newer or TS 850 the newest. (I have Dunlop 3Ds by the way).

Ciao

Last edited by Gabirex; 11-19-2014 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 08:31 AM   #49
SHLin
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

love photos and thanks for sharing on the track
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 08:52 AM   #50
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Great thread!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 10:04 AM   #51
dim635csi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MG F82 M4 ZCP

Nice track photos and writeup Congrats with M car - you wouldn't regret it !
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 09:27 PM   #52
mntbiker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Awesome write-up and photos. I also liked watching people whiz by you at the Ring! Terrifying.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 10:29 PM   #53
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Wow, I just got a chance to go through your thread and it's awesome! Great pics, and those opening pics of AW should be the definitive "should I get AW?" pics. Answer: yes. you should. Stunning Welt pics!

I"m interested to hear more about the car train though ... what was it exactly? Any pics?

THanks for taking the time to post this!

EDIT: 2nd question, did you get track insurance for SPA and if so, how much? (if not ... whoa!)

Last edited by GrussGott; 11-27-2014 at 10:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 01:51 AM   #54
dclowd9901
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Wow, I just got a chance to go through your thread and it's awesome! Great pics, and those opening pics of AW should be the definitive "should I get AW?" pics. Answer: yes. you should. Stunning Welt pics!

I"m interested to hear more about the car train though ... what was it exactly? Any pics?

THanks for taking the time to post this!

EDIT: 2nd question, did you get track insurance for SPA and if so, how much? (if not ... whoa!)
Thanks for the kind words! The Welt is by far one of the most impressive structures I've ever seen. It seems purpose built to pour light on your car in the most beautiful way possible (though that hardly seems like an accident).

As far as the car train goes, it kinda went like this:

After Großglockner, we were continuing to make our way south through Austria. The route took us to a small town called Innsbruck, at which point, the nav software was directing us to hop on the train tracks and continue, with no further information.

Obviously that wasn't right, but I thought it was actually just faulty software or something, but then I used Google Maps and it said the same thing. So then we decided to look up what car trains were (since the nav mentioned them at the beginning of the route), then when we found out what they were, I looked up the Innsbruck timetable, at which point, I found this page:

http://www.oebb.at/en/Travelling_abr...taly/index.jsp

I wish I had more pictures or video, but it was pretty dark by that point, so little would have probably been seen. Essentially, you line up at a booth, pay a guy, then when the train comes in, you literally drive onto it. You continue driving down it, then stopping when you've reached the end, or when the person in front of you has stopped. It felt pretty narrow, and I was unaccustomed with the car by that point so that was a bit nerve wracking, but otherwise, pretty easy. You hop out of your car, then board a passenger car and hang out for 20 minutes while you cross the mountains.

One thing to note: your car is on a train, so don't arm the alarm or when you get to the other side, you'll realize the damn thing's been blaring the whole time. Also it's embarrassing

When hop back in the car, then they open the gate and you drive out. To be clear, the train has two parts where a car can get on or get off the train. We drove onto the front of the train, then drove off the back. Hope that explains well enough.

As for Spa, well... I guess I'm either brave or stupid (probably more stupid), but I didn't line up track insurance. In hindsight, I absolutely would have. I didn't realize it was going to be a regular track day. The website description led me to believe it was very touristy; more for everyone than gear heads, and thus I figured the driving would be relatively easy and light. After all, I wasn't going there to drive my car hard or anything, just to christen it. With the other drivers as aggressive as they were, I was instantly regretting my optimism.

But nothing happened, so all's well that ends well, right?
      11-28-2014, 03:30 AM   #55
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclowd9901 View Post
We drove onto the front of the train, then drove off the back. Hope that explains well enough?
Weird! Sounds like quite the adventure... Will make for a great memory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclowd9901 View Post
With the other drivers as aggressive as they were, I was instantly regretting my optimism.

But nothing happened, so all's well that ends well, right?
Whoa, brass ones.

Last edited by GrussGott; 11-28-2014 at 10:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 07:05 AM   #56
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Good recap, and picts even --- not bad at all. The first Ring Video w/ that little green car zooming by as you started your run was funny - ha,...you're like "sh*t"...

It's awesome your first RWD experience and swinging the tail out was in a M3 in Germany! Congrats, great options combo.
Appreciate 0