EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

10-27-2017, 01:36 PM   #1
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Do not go to BMW of Sterling for service!

I dropped off my new BMW M4 for service at BMW of Sterling on October 16. The next day when it was ready for pickup, I noticed a scratch on one of my factory 666M wheels as soon as the porter handed me the keys. I showed the damage to the service manager, Jessica Eller, and she agreed to repair it. After the repair I can see the repaired area and it doesn't like new. I asked for a new wheel but the service manager refused and is only willing to try to repair it again. My wheel was originally in like new condition with no damage and I don't see how it can be repaired to like new condition especially when it's already been attempted once.

She said, "It is a cosmetic problem which is not affecting the performance or the vehicle's handling." So I guess they're willing to return customer cars in any condition as long as it's not affecting performance or handling.

I would think twice about getting your car serviced at BMW of Sterling!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 09:19 AM   #2
///M4RINE
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 GT4

Garage List
The Wake  [0.00]
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
That sucks to hear. I've been going there for a while now and they're usually pretty good at rectifying issues. Did you let them wash your car? As a rule I don't let them, they use a car wash that has rails. That could be the culprit.

In my opinion they're the best BMW dealership in the area though.

2008 VW R32 #4143 | 2016 Porsche GT4
IG: @roidecoeurllc

Last edited by ///M4RINE; 11-07-2017 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: grammar
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 01:16 PM   #3
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

That is disappointing to be sure, I'd keep on them but give them a second attempt to fix it to as new condition, though rims are tough to match exactly.

I've found it gets better results if you let a dealership exhaust all options before getting into a confrontation, which no one wants and everyone looses. Also mentioning this post at the right time would be a plus as well. In the end if it cannot be repaired to your satisfaction definitely stand firm for a replacement since they did damage it when it was in for service and their responsibility.

I purchased my car from Sterling, they seemed to be a good organization though I've never used their service department(only because of the inconvenience of location from where I live) but again found them to be pleasant dealership to work with.

Good luck and hopefully this post will get enough attention to help.
      10-30-2017, 05:30 PM   #4
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Sorry to hear that, I had been seeing only good things about Sterling so far but have never been.

I had a similar but much happier experience when I dropped off my M4 at Passport BMW a few months ago. I had been taking my 335is to them previously, but was the first visit with my M4 for routine maintenance and a couple of items to check.

When I picked up my car a couple of days later I immediately noticed the DCT gearshift lever was scratched up; on the plastic/lacquer over the gear icons. It looked like someone wearing a ring had used the shifter and scratched it up (one of my drop-off comments was rough downshifting at low speed from 3-2).

I told the driver who dropped it off, he tried to spray it with something and polish it off. All that did was remove fresh grinds, scratches were still there. Called over my SA and she called the Tech over. Of course denials from the Tech, they said it could've been sun damage or a harsh cleaning agent. But after brief back and forth SA agreed to have it replaced.

I thought it was just the knob that needed a swap, turns out they had to order the assembly it connects to. Took a little bit for the parts and install, they even updated the vehicle software (which was a boon).

Suffice to say I was happy with how my SA resolved it, and would recommend Passport if you decide to change dealers.
Appreciate 1
Tobes95.00
      10-31-2017, 10:09 AM   #5
mtr3s
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

No one is going to treat your car like you do, especially the service adviser or techs, frankly, they don't make the income to afford an M3 or M4.

Ask them to refinish again if they will still let you to see if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 06:53 PM   #6
jww///95
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f31xd | f80m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtr3s View Post
No one is going to treat your car like you do, especially the service adviser or techs, frankly, they don't make the income to afford an M3 or M4.

Ask them to refinish again if they will still let you to see if that helps.
There are good ones out there... stay diligent in the search and go off advice and referrals of others you trust.

Also, in specific reference to this post, good techs are well into income ranges to support buying these cars and do so purchase or lease.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2017, 09:11 AM   #7
Luc@Speed&Tech
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G80 M3 & E92 M3

I've dealt with BMW of Sterling many times in the past. They don't really get anything done unless you bring up taking legal action.

23541 Pebble Run Place, Unit 140
Sterling, VA 20166 (Satellite shop)
Appreciate 1
Dinh335713.00
      11-03-2017, 05:15 PM   #8
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
I've dealt with BMW of Sterling many times in the past. They don't really get anything done unless you bring up taking legal action.
They must love seeing you every time you walk in the door for service.
      11-06-2017, 07:27 PM   #9
simpleM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 06' E46 M3 ZCP

Garage List
19’ BMW M5C  [0.00]
2007 E61 530XI  [0.00]
2006 E46 M3  [0.00]
I got my car from there and I wouldn't go back to let them pump my gas. Hated every minute of being in that place. The sales people act like they walk on water. Would've walked away from the purchase except they had exactly what I wanted. Good to know the service dept is also run by a-holes.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 08:24 PM   #10
mtr3s
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

BMW Rockville and Silver Spring were good to me when I had the F80
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 08:05 AM   #11
elias
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

In my experience I've been to all of the Dealers in NOVA and they are all lacking
in one way or the other but I usually go to FFX and thats not saying much. Ive
had a few issues there as well. I would try Rockville or Silver Spring but they're
just too far for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 04:57 PM   #12
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elias View Post
In my experience I've been to all of the Dealers in NOVA and they are all lacking
in one way or the other but I usually go to FFX and thats not saying much. Ive
had a few issues there as well. I would try Rockville or Silver Spring but they're
just too far for me.
This is pretty much true...in the end just stick with a convenient location and get the know your mechanic and service writer. I’ve found making them aware of your expectations is a great place to start.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 03:54 PM   #13
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
My wheel was finally replaced today after they dragged their foot several times and 2 phone calls to their general manager. I first called their general manager last Monday to explain to him what happened and his assistant took my message and said he would call me back by the end of the day. Near the end of the day his assistant calls me back saying he's been busy all day but she talked to the director of service and he wants to see my wheel. I work 5 minutes from the dealer so I get there and he agrees to get my wheel replaced. I ask when I can get it replaced and he said he will let me know. The next day I call him back for an update and he said he will talk to his service manager and get back to me. I never hear back from him and left 2 messages each for him and his service manager on Thursday. Getting frustrated on Friday I call back the general manager and his assistant tells me that the service director is no longer with the dealer and she will speak to the service manager. I tell her that if this doesn't get resolved quickly I will be forced to speak to the general manager and make an official complaint with BMW NA. Thirty minutes after that conversation the service manger calls me back and says they will receive the wheel on Tuesday. So she makes an appointment for me on Wednesday (today) and they finally did it today.

It goes to show that you have to go to the general manager and threaten a complaint with BMW NA for them to do anything.
Appreciate 1
iatacs19458.50
      11-09-2017, 08:22 AM   #14
dheanswer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AY F82

That sucks man. I have a similar experience with BMW of Towson, they damaged my front lip (pretty much cracked one side) while I was getting my seat badges replaced.

This is second week now, apparently they're waiting for a company credit card to get it replaced. I don't know what it is with these dealerships but they suck at giving updates and responding to emails/voicemails. My next step is to contact BMW NA if I don't hear from them today.
Appreciate 0