BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

05-16-2016, 12:09 PM   #199
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
@FAM3 , take a black piece of the same thickness a bit long, insert there and if it works, then draw a line, then remove , cut then insert. The same worked for my instrument cluster.

What u found out if I apply a bit pressure w my right hand in the strip, the noise stopped and similar for the cluster. It's obviously a kludge, but if t works who cares...

I didn't attempt to remove the strip bcoz I have a history of breaking many tabs!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 11:07 AM   #200
FAM3
Major
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
@FAM3 , take a black piece of the same thickness a bit long, insert there and if it works, then draw a line, then remove , cut then insert. The same worked for my instrument cluster.

What u found out if I apply a bit pressure w my right hand in the strip, the noise stopped and similar for the cluster. It's obviously a kludge, but if t works who cares...

I didn't attempt to remove the strip bcoz I have a history of breaking many tabs!!!
I will try this thank you! Anybody have any idea how to fix the rattle that happens up here by the rear window?

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 08:18 PM   #201
FAM3
Major
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post

Currently have three pieces of 5 gum packet sticking out from each door panel. Trying to narrow down where this rattle is coming from! Hard to do while driving, probably going to have to get a friend to help.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 08:38 PM   #202
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
In my F82, when sitting, i cross my right hand in front me to push on the strip, at that spot the rattles stop.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 01:43 PM   #203
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVictor View Post
Teflon tape around the door where the rubber seal connects fixed this problem for my F30. You don't need to reapply anything over time and it's practically invisible.
Can you post a pic and the Teflon tape used.

I thought there was something wrong with my car till I stumbled upon this thread. Tried the rear window 1 inch down trick and mouse was gone.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 03:33 AM   #204
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
Can you post a pic and the Teflon tape used.

I thought there was something wrong with my car till I stumbled upon this thread. Tried the rear window 1 inch down trick and mouse was gone.
Sorry mate sold my car a few months ago otherwise I would.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 02:16 PM   #205
Bj84
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW m4

Hi

I'am asking for help...pleasss

I can hear terrible squeak from right side ( propably interior ) I can hear nosie only on very bumpy road.

This is that noise ( link below )

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=4ismFR_JNpk
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 04:21 AM   #206
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bj84 View Post
Hi

I'am asking for help...pleasss

I can hear terrible squeak from right side ( propably interior ) I can hear nosie only on very bumpy road.

This is that noise ( link below )

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=4ismFR_JNpk
It is hard to make out what noise you are referring to in the video, but if your car is within the noise/adjustment warranty period (in Canada it is 1yr, 20k km), take it to your dealer and try with them to get it reproduced and fixed . My experience has been a mixed bag, and I now just learned to tune out most noises/squeaks...on our horrible roads in Quebec.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 12:38 PM   #207
darba
Registered
Rep
Drives: F82 m4

Under the Steering wheel

Hello all,
My M4 has one more rattle noise coming from underneath the steering wheel column. I have isolated it to AC vents that lead to the drivers shins and ankles. Does anyone have instructions on how to remove that panel? It has 2 screws holding it together but before attempting to do it myself I wanted to check with you guys in case someone has been thru this process before.

Thank you in advance!

All the best,
D
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 07:21 PM   #208
M3LOLJK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I have a rattle coming behind the passenger AC vent that I cant seem to get rid of and its driving me insane. I removed the ac vent completely and the sound is gone. I put the vent back in place and the rattling returns. I used gummi on every joint possible but no luck. I even added additional foam strips wherever I saw an opening. Anyone had a similar issue to mine ?
Appreciate 1
kkc42778.50
      01-05-2017, 07:52 PM   #209
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Cup Holder rattle/squeak

I searched the thread but couldn't find any mention of this one....

The only rattle in my new 2017 ZCP is coming from the front cup holder insert. If I apply pressure with my hand to the silver trim around the top then it goes quiet.

I'm assuming it would be fixable with a bit of Gummi, but does anybody know how this comes apart (without breaking any plastic clips! ;-)
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 01:47 PM   #210
pbar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbar View Post
I'm assuming it would be fixable with a bit of Gummi, but does anybody know how this comes apart (without breaking any plastic clips! ;-)
Finally got around to fixing this rattle. Here are the steps to remove the cupholders:

Follow steps 1-6 of the IND DCT Trim installation guide here: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1070897
(note that at step 4 I found I could actually just release one the right hand clips of the DCT trim from underneath by sliding my pry-tool into a slot.)

Next, remove the M-performance mode switches as per this post: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=12
You can easily release the front clip with your finger. Then you have to exert a little pressure to pull the switch unit out from above.

Disconnect the connectors from all 3 pieces and set aside.

Next remove the two torx screws holding the center console trim down. (one was under the iDrive trim, the other under the M-perf buttons!)

At this point, the cup-holder unit is just held down by more spring clips, and 4 plastic lugs at the front edge under the ash-tray.

This photo shows the positions of the screw holes, the clips holding the cup-holder trim unit down. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/51169218925/

Pull up the trim starting at the rear, and slide out the 4 lugs at the front. You will need to disconnect the power connector for the cigarette lighter.

Now the trim can be maneuvered to get at all of the parts where plastic rubs on plastic. Apply Gummi Pfledge liberally!!! (i.e. all round the edges, the 4 lugs on the front edge and the places where the torx screws go).

Re-installation is the reverse - but *much* easier.

Make sure you re-connect the cigarette-lighter power, re-insert cup-holder trim locating the 4 lugs at the front, and then just push down all the snap connectors. Install the 2 torx screws.

Reconnect the M-perf buttons and push in from above until the two clips latch.

Reconnect the DCT connector, and push down the trim from above until it laches.

Reconnect the iDrive controller connector, and then push down the trim from above until all 6 clips latch.

Done.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 10:37 PM   #211
Rik84
Full Potato
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Does anyone have a line on Gummie Fledge? I can't get it anywhere in Canada and the dealership won't sell me the lube they use.

I need to drop my car off for a full day to have them lube the damn doors and it's a huge PIA. The car is squeak free for about 2 months and then it comes back hard.
2015 F80 M3 6MT Pure Stage 2 Turbos // Evolution of Speed Intake Manifold w/ Port Injection // Custom AEM 1000 Powered Secondary Fuel System // Micro Squirt Custom ECU // Evolution of Speed Intercooler// RK Autowerkz Carbon Intakes // BMS Charge Pipes // N54 Tuning Down Pipes // M Performance Exhaust // Swift Spec R // DSS Axles // Signature Wheels
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 11:22 PM   #212
pbar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik84 View Post
Does anyone have a line on Gummie Fledge? I can't get it anywhere in Canada and the dealership won't sell me the lube they use.
https://www.amazon.ca/nextzett-91480...s=gummi+pflege ?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 11:48 PM   #213
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik84 View Post

I need to drop my car off for a full day to have them lube the damn doors and it's a huge PIA. The car is squeak free for about 2 months and then it comes back hard.
It's b/c they have to save it for when they bend people over on out of warranty services hahah
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 03:36 AM   #214
rhm_SIIM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MY19 M4 CP (SMB)

Hi, I am trying to fix the centre console rattle but can't understand the instructions in the main post ... might be being dim here but need some more words to help me place the felt tape (ps I have an F82 not sure it makes a difference).

When I take off the rear seat vent trim, I have 4 connectors on each side with holes sticking out of the tunnel plastic trim and a number of tags on the rear vent trim that slot into the tunnel trim. The instructions say to put felt tape around the lugs that stick out ... does that mean the ones on the tunnel trim with the holes? If I did that I don't think they would locate properly with the vent trim. Or does it mean putting the felt tape on the lugs on the vent trim .. again not sure it would go back together again if I did that.

Looking again at the picture, I wonder if the design has been changed - as I don't seem to have those three plastic pieces sticking out from the inside edge of the tunnel trim.

I tried putting some tape between the top lug and the inner plastic side on the tunnel trim as it looked to me as if this could rattle ... made no difference so suspect it is to do with the lugs rattling but can't figure out how to put tape on it to make it stop.

Ps I tried using the GummiPfledge on those lugs but no change.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Richard.

Last edited by rhm_SIIM4; 03-27-2017 at 03:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 10:34 PM   #215
ryou
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 SSII M4

my 15 M4 and frens 16 M4 CP have the exact same rattle caused by this loose side panel in the passenger side. The whole area is loose and not held down by screws/tabs.

Anyone got a fix? i plan to tape the panels together and felt the back to hopefully stop the freeplay
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 07:18 PM   #216
pbar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryou View Post

my 15 M4 and frens 16 M4 CP have the exact same rattle caused by this loose side panel in the passenger side. The whole area is loose and not held down by screws/tabs.

Anyone got a fix? i plan to tape the panels together and felt the back to hopefully stop the freeplay
I'm not 100% sure but I think that is installed wrong... the panel under the dash should slot in behind the trim on the transmission tunnel.

(I refitted that incorrectly in my car once and it did rattle quite badly)
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 04:37 PM   #217
PhilH930
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Had my car a little over two weeks now and had a rattle from the rear shelf driving me crazy. I first went after the plastic seat belt covers, then all window seals, took the speaker covers off, and finally messed around with the gap between the shelf and frame (stuff towels in the gap to absorb vibration). Still the rattle persisted.

Being OCD, I continued testing by driving and when parked tapping every part of the rear interior. Then, I finally tested the third brake light. That was it! Ended up taking the light out and using electrical tape on every area where plastic met plastic (7 points on contact).

So far, no rattle - it's the small wins that count!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 02:00 PM   #218
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 [MT]

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilH930 View Post
Had my car a little over two weeks now and had a rattle from the rear shelf driving me crazy. I first went after the plastic seat belt covers, then all window seals, took the speaker covers off, and finally messed around with the gap between the shelf and frame (stuff towels in the gap to absorb vibration). Still the rattle persisted.

Being OCD, I continued testing by driving and when parked tapping every part of the rear interior. Then, I finally tested the third brake light. That was it! Ended up taking the light out and using electrical tape on every area where plastic met plastic (7 points on contact).

So far, no rattle - it's the small wins that count!
How did you take the brake light out? How did you remove the cover? Pull down, slide out toward the back? I think I have a rattle that might be coming from there as well, but don't want to mess it up.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 03:11 PM   #219
pbar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycd View Post
How did you take the brake light out? How did you remove the cover? Pull down, slide out toward the back? I think I have a rattle that might be coming from there as well, but don't want to mess it up.

Thanks
See post #77 in this thread.
Appreciate 1
sycd247.00
      04-16-2017, 08:04 PM   #220
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady1984 View Post
I have been having the door lock rattle issue for the last little while and I never saw a fix on here. I looked up the door lock button surround on realoem to see how to get it out: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...&q=51417316859 and I ended up using a shoestring to wrap around the part and compress the clips. After that (I did both passenger and driver side) both sides pulled out no problem. After removing it I used a tiny file to enlarge the opening just a bit and placed a small piece of felt in the gap. The felt does not interfere at all with the lock mechanism and it's quiet as a mouse now. If you break the trim cover it's 15 bucks, so not the end of the world https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...859/ES2578268/ I thought about trying felt on the lock button but the gap is way too narrow and it would peel off the button in no time. Not sure if this is the best way but it worked great for me.

Nice work! I'm going to have to try this next weekend.

/// M3
Appreciate 0