Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

05-10-2016, 04:10 PM   #89
smckenna
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotherd31 View Post
I'll second what Firedown said. A sticky with four pages and still no one has said if a US dealer can code out the ASD. Has anyone had a US dealer code it out? If so, any charge for doing it? I know it can be unplugged or aftermarket coded out.
As a matter of fact, I just dropped my M4 off to have it ASD decoded, and they agreed to do so (Tallahassee, FL). I made sure to have the SR write it up as a problem, not a preference, so I wouldn't have to pay. My preference would be to leave the active sound, as I really like the way it sounds. However, the popping noises about once per minute (like a rock hitting the windshield) are driving me nuts. It has to go.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2016, 08:05 AM   #90
Rotherd31
User Name
Rep
Drives: 2023 G83 BG/FR/ 963M wheels

McKenna: Excellent timing! Please let us know if they were able to do it and your impressions. I've got my dealer researching to do the same.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 01:18 PM   #91
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotherd31
I'll second what Firedown said. A sticky with four pages and still no one has said if a US dealer can code out the ASD. Has anyone had a US dealer code it out? If so, any charge for doing it? I know it can be unplugged or aftermarket coded out.
Well you can code it out yourself too by purchasing a $20 cable... Dealers do not code, I heavily doubt that and that they know of Esys. They may update ECUs software but that's programming/flashing and they use ISTA/P. My two cents. But maybe they have another way to do it, like unplugging the unit thought the first post intrigues me... I have checked in ISTA/D and there's nothing that permanently mutes ASD.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 04:55 PM   #92
smckenna
Private
Rep

OK, I just picked up my 2016 M4 (Tallahassee FL) from the BMW dealer where I had requested them to deactivate the Active Sound. They said that they searched and searched, but did not find any option called Unterdrückung ADC. He also noted that "Unterdrückung" looks like a German word. In any event, they pulled out the cable to the Active Sound module and disabled it that way instead. Not a single "rock hitting the windshield" pop the entire drive home in sport M1 mode and the car still growls just like it used to so I really don't think the Active Sound was adding that much anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 05:43 PM   #93
Rotherd31
User Name
Rep
Drives: 2023 G83 BG/FR/ 963M wheels

Thanks Mc. So they unplugged it in the trunk on the driver's side as in the vid on the thread here? If so, heck I can do that myself if my dealer plans on doing the same thing and wanting to charge me for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 06:23 PM   #94
smckenna
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Mc. So they unplugged it in the trunk on the driver's side as in the vid on the thread here? If so, heck I can do that myself if my dealer plans on doing the same thing and wanting to charge me for it.
Yes, the same plug in the same location on the left side of the trunk under the tail light assy. Luckily, they didn't charge me, as I was trying to solve the popping noise problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 08:14 PM   #95
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smckenna
Quote:
Yes, the same plug in the same location on the left side of the trunk under the tail light assy. Luckily, they didn't charge me, as I was trying to solve the popping noise problem.
: didn't I predict they will unplug it above! Anyways glad you don't have the noise anymore!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 05:03 PM   #96
Invictus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 (Ultimate Package)

Is the piped in sound completely artificial (totally made up/pre recorded), mixed/created depending on what the engine is doing or is it the actual noise of the engine at the time it is played?
      05-16-2016, 07:44 PM   #97
Gibson6594
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
Is the piped in sound completely artificial (totally made up/pre recorded), mixed/created depending on what the engine is doing or is it the actual noise of the engine at the time it is played?
The former.
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2016, 08:15 PM   #98
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson6594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
The former.
That is correct, more reading material https://www.dropbox.com/s/uzc2w58cowwulid/ASD1.pdf?dl=0 here.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 09:24 PM   #99
Invictus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 (Ultimate Package)

Thanks guys.
      07-02-2016, 03:03 PM   #100
bmoss1610
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp; 2022 M5 Comp

ASD Disconnect in F83

I just disconnected the ASD module in my 2016 M4 convertible. Procedure is the same as in the coupe once the area is accessed, but the panels are different. I will post a DIY with pics later today. IMHO it is so much better without the active sound muddying the great natural sound of the engine and exhaust. Full disclosure, I have the M Performance Exhaust installed so I'm not comparing to the stock system.
Appreciate 1
rcrs218.00
      07-02-2016, 03:06 PM   #101
bmoss1610
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp; 2022 M5 Comp

F83 M4 Convertible Active Sound Disconnect DIY

I took delivery of my F83 M4 convertible a couple of weeks ago. I got mine with a port installed M Performance Exhaust. I love the exaust but the Actve Sound Design (“ASD”) fake exhaust sound in the cabin was driving me crazy. In my view, it’s cheesy under any circustances, but with the M Performance Exhaust it creates a very annoying drone and it competes so the driver can’t properly hear the true sound of a very expensive and very well designed exhaust system. I looked at a bunch of posts and debated whether to ask my dealer to de-program ASD or just find the module and pull the plug. The positioning and access in the convertible is a little different than in the coupe (it’s actually a bit easier), and I couldn’t find any convertible specific DIY posts, so I created this one. Please excuse my poor photography skills and feel free to message me with any questions.

The ASD module is attached to the sound syste amplifier and is located in the driver side rear corner of the trunk under some trim panels just in front of the driver side convertible top latch mechanism. The location (with nothing removed) is shown in this photo:

One cover, one storage tray and two trim panels need to be removed to access this area. Begin by opening the lid of the small and useless storage tray on the left side of the trunk. When you lift the lid all the way, just give it a little pull and the tabs will release from the slots, then you can remove the lid and set it aside. This photo shows the lid removed:

Then slip your fingers or a trim tool under an edge of the storage tray and pry it upward to remove it. There are no fasteners; it just comes loose with a gentle pull. This photo shows the tray removed:

Now remove all of the button fasteners around the carpeted trim piece covering the area as well as the fasteners holding the plastic convertible top latch cover in place. I didn’t count or highlight the fasteners on the carpeted trim, but they are all easy to see and easy to remove. The plastic convertible top mechanism cover is held in place by three button fasteners. All fasteners are the same, so you don’t need to remember which ones go where. Use a flat blade or trim tool to pry up the top of the fastener. Once it moves, you can pull it with your fingers and the whole unit will come out. Use gentle firm pressure but don’t force it. Once the fasteners are all removed, start by removing the plastic convertible top mechanism cover and set it aside. Now pull the carpeted trim piece out from under the trunk weather stripping (it should come out easily) and either remove it or pull it back enough to reach your hand into the amplifier area if you can get that to work (I removed mine entirely but others have said that it can be done without complete removal). If you do remove it (and when you put it back), be very careful of the convertible top mechanism and its wiring, if you push too hard or don’t free it up properly, you could damage some of those parts. Once the trim covers are removed, it will look like this:

The rest is pretty simple. The part that you’ve exposed is the sound system amplifier and the ASD unit is attached to it at the rear end (toward the taillight). It is the part circled in this photo:

The wiring harness is held in place by a locking lever, which when rotated will free the harness from the unit. In order to release the lever, press the small plastic tab in with your finger or a screwdriver and then lift the lever and the harness will come out. This photo shows the harness close-up:

Once the harness is removed, cover the open end with a piece of electrical tape and secure it to its own wire or something else with a zip tie or electrical tape. I ended up just looping mine back around itself and securing it that way. When it’s removed and secured, the area will look like this:

Now just reinstall all of the trim pieces you removed using the button fasteners. Again, if you removed the carpeted floor trim, be patient and careful putting it back so that you don’t damage any of the wiring or equipment in that area.

The whole project took me about 30 minutes, so not a big time investment. The harness is easy enough to remove and replace, so I tried it out both ways a few times (making sure I completely shut off the ignition before removing or replacing the harness) to make sure I liked the new sound before I put it all back together. In my case, with the M Performance Exhaust, it was an easy decision; the natural sound of the car without artificial “enhancement” is far superior. However, it is a personal choice and many disagree, so this is a relatively painless way to try it both ways before making a permanent decision. You could even leave the trim off for a few days and try it out connected and disconnected over a longer period of time. If you do that, I would suggest replacing at least the plastic convertible top mechanism cover because it protects the wiring and motors in there and it’s very easy to remove and reinstall.
Appreciate 4
F831355.50
      07-14-2016, 04:58 PM   #102
zstoja
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Buick

Does ASD work if audio is off?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 11:32 PM   #103
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstoja View Post
Does ASD work if audio is off?
Yes, but it doesn't work if the engine is off, even if the audio is on.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 02:58 PM   #104
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

I cannot believe people say they don't hear ASD. It's so intrusive in Sport/Sport Plus. I had forgotten how bad it was until I got my ZCP. So glad it's off again.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 10:34 AM   #105
DiamondGCoupe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 & 2015 M4

I just disabled mine by removing the trunk module, what a HUGE difference it makes. I did not need to remove the whole trunk area, I was able to get my fingers in after removing the two covers and popped it out.

I kind of wish I would have measured the db level before and after, but as others have stated it's a good 15-20% quieter even in Sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 09:56 PM   #106
bmrwrld
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

The active sound I found was very intrusive if you have a manual shift. I could not tell the shift points by just hearing the raw power of the engine and was missing my shifts. I manually deactivated the system and it was like night and day the way the car should sound. The active sound is even threw out the cabin which is good for cars with DCT cause your not doing the shifting. So my answer is good for DCT not for manual shift.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 12:18 PM   #107
joq3
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i F30 M/T -13

I own a F30 328i, and I would love to have an ASD in my car (my 2013 hasn't got any). So if anyone of you have unplugged it and doesn't plan to use it I would gladly buy it from you for a reasonable sum and pay for shipping.

Please contact me via PM, thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 12:57 PM   #108
shiv.nandak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C7 Z06, 16' M4 6MT SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by joq3 View Post
I own a F30 328i, and I would love to have an ASD in my car (my 2013 hasn't got any). So if anyone of you have unplugged it and doesn't plan to use it I would gladly buy it from you for a reasonable sum and pay for shipping.

Please contact me via PM, thanks
Just replace your secondary catalytic convertor to a magnaflow muffler
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 02:52 PM   #109
1MORELAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 911 GTS '19 X3, X5, X7

Why are you making this SO complicated? I use BimmerLink (from App store) with Carista bluetooth OBD2 plug. I can turn on and off ASD as well control the Exhaust Flap. There are numerous other options, like erasing codes, reading values, etc. For $50, no brainier...
      04-04-2017, 09:27 PM   #110
obardain
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 AY

I just noticed in my Carly app you can turn of the ASD,
as well as open and close the exhaust flaps...
Appreciate 0