GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

09-03-2017, 01:13 AM   #1
LM3K
Rep
Drives: '11 JCW

Patched up M Car Owners!

Hey forum members,

I am interested in hearing any positive or negative experiences y’all have had after getting the car back from the body shop after a collision.

My fairly new M3 was rear ended while I was at a complete stop waiting to turn left. The driver swerved a bit to the right so it was more of an off-set collision on the passenger side while he was going about 30-40mph. He says he was “scratching his nose.” No airbags deployed and I didn’t even get a warning message from the car. It turned on and scooted off to the side of the road fairly readily. His Honda Element looked totaled. Fortunately liability was quickly found so I have my car at a local body shop recommended by my dealer to be excellent and is one of only 2 BMW ‘certified’ collision centers in town (although I am bit dubious because I cannot find it on their website but everyone I talk to swears up and down this is the case). The wait is an excruciating 3-4 months at this point and I have only enjoyed my car for about 4000 miles (12 on the odo on pickup).

I’m told the car will look and perform as it did after the repair work but I can’t help but think the reality is the panels will all be a little looser, the car will judder just a tad at speed, I’ll hear a few more squeaks and rattles and a random electronic component will stop working or a speaker wire is more apt to come loose over the next 15-20k miles. For those that have gone those extra 20k miles afterward, what’s the experience been like? Surprised at how good the car is or disappointed with having to visit the dealer more frequently than expected? Anything you wish you could have asked to have looked at more closely at the body shop? Feel ripped off with diminished value claims?

As a parting thought, we are lucky to have these awesome machines to enjoy, and on the road we can never control everything no matter how careful we are. So soak in all the fun and goodness of being ferried around in these vehicles, and be glad your car runs well and you are safe.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 04:01 PM   #2
z335is
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Same situation for me, albeit at a lesser speed. I was stopped at a light and a driver who wasn't paying attention rear ended me going about 15 mph.

No damage outside of the bumper, which looks like new now. My car only had about 500 miles on it though, so I was furious. Like the body shop told me though, the bumpers are a wear and tear item, so at some point in the cars life, something is going to happen to them. That made it a little easier to bear for me.
Appreciate 1
LM3K5.00
      09-28-2017, 02:29 PM   #3
cwhands
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 SS/CSAT 6MT

Not 20, just 8k since being rear ended at higher speed than your incident.

I haven't had any issues other than a few small runs, base texture issues, and a spot missing clear coat. The runs and missing clear were handled. I do have one crow's foot on the rear bumper and another fracture in the substrate - understand that no repaint will be 100% as durable as the factory job.

No new rattles, car drives straight, and that's about it. I was concerned I'd have issues with the rear sunshade because of the extent of damage, but everything seems okay.
Appreciate 1
LM3K5.00
      10-07-2017, 12:49 PM   #4
LM3K
Rep
Drives: '11 JCW

Good to know, thanks. Once I get it back, I think it will be the end of me obsessively hand washing the car and parking at the far corners of parking lots. Haha. My family will certainly appreciate that!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 07:11 AM   #5
AG23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 WRX 6MT/2024 M3 On Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM3K View Post
Good to know, thanks. Once I get it back, I think it will be the end of me obsessively hand washing the car and parking at the far corners of parking lots. Haha. My family will certainly appreciate that!
I just got my M4 less than a week ago, already:
1. My fiancé opened the passenger door into a wall, leaving paint transfer. Fortunately I was able to buff it all out.
2. Someone backed into my front bumper in my parking garage. 6? Scratch left. Will need to have professional buff it out.
I feel your pain. Just try to remind myself to be thankful for having the car in the first place and to do more to prevent issues like this in future.
Appreciate 0