GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

05-29-2014, 09:12 AM   #1
Beck
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

Lightbulb M3 / M4 Active Sound responsible for 2-3% of sound

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
According to motoring research interview: http://www.motoringresearch.com/car-...eal-0513943059

Quote:
“The engine note in the cabin is largely pure,” said BMW M head of project management Carston Pries at the international launch of the new M3 and M4. “The electronic noise is minimised and only makes up 2% to 3% of the sound you hear.”

Critically, there will also be no artificial sound generation – the electronic noise (which BMW calls Active Sound) will instead simply be a real-time amplification of induction noises actually produced by the engine.

Instead of relying on electronic overlays for the audio fireworks, BMW M has engineered in ‘pure’ noise from the exhaust instead – and it’s the addition of two actuators on each of the twin tailpipe sets that’s responsible for most of this.

When activated, these bypass the rear silencer, making the back box almost completely straight-through. “They are active whenever the car is in Sport or Sport Plus mode, or when the revs are above 4,000rpm.”
Active Sound: sour note for enthusiasts

BMW Active Sound was a controversial addition to the M5. BMW says “it delivers an accurate reproduction of the engine’s sound through the car’s audio system’, and includes artificial sound generation.

Enthusiasts didn’t respond positively to the artificial layer, hence BMW’s new strategy with the M3 and M4.

We can report the results of the latest Active Sound approach are impressive, particularly at high revs, with a rawness lacking in the BMW M5. It minutely varies in intensity and pitch according to engine load and accelerator position – a level of detail lacking in the M5′s Active Sound system, and a key reason why it’s now so convincing. Critically, many will never guess it’s electronically assisted…

Question is, will enthusiasts like it – and will BMW now follow this strategy in the M5 too?
      05-29-2014, 09:19 AM   #2
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
Yes this was also stated in the Michael Wimbeck interview. I've heard the M5 active sound, and it just sounds so artificial. I really hope this one sounds better.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 09:20 AM   #3
UK6
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 & 330e

I thought I heard this pretty much confirmed when the car was just out of concept, but everyone seems to be complaining about it still, strange.

I couldn't hear any artificial sound in the M5 though so I'm sure it will really be as bad as the naysayers claim if that's what they want, but I dare say most wont notice though.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 09:22 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

I will wait to actually hear and see in person what this "new" ASD in the M3/M4 is, because I still think that it is the same exact ASD in the M5.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 09:23 AM   #5
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Saw this last night on another site (the name of which i think gets auto-blocked here) but also thought it a good explanation given some of the confusion around here (ie: the Alan Parsons project comparison that was being floated at one point). Facts and information are always better than the talking-to-ourselves speculation and panic that can often seep into an online community like this.

Thanks for posting.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 10:01 AM   #6
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

I still don't understand why they couldn't just tune the exhaust to give you 3% more sound? Even Ford can do that?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 10:39 AM   #7
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
3% of the volume? 3% of the character? What does that mean?

I hate terrible statistics.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 10:45 AM   #8
Z8chP
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 330cic zhp

BS. Why would they go through all of that trouble developing an "authentic" engine note through the speakers if it only accounts for 2-3% of the sound you hear.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 10:47 AM   #9
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
Yes this was also stated in the Michael Wimbeck interview. I've heard the M5 active sound, and it just sounds so artificial. I really hope this one sounds better.
you need your ears tested :thump: I took a sample of the sound from inside the M5 and from outside the car and compared them. They are also about 95% identical. Or put it another way. if you don't like the M5, then you aint gonna like the M3/M4.

Neil.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 10:47 AM   #10
///carbon
tuned
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keto View Post

both. i know that artificial sound from the GOLF 7 GTI and is sounds just horrible to me. Would not want to have it in my car and specially not in a M4.

Z-Performance///M4: https://www.facebook.com/ZPerformanceM4
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 10:48 AM   #11
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:

I say listen to it and then decide.

your ears are more likely 3% different to the next crash test dummy on this forum
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 10:49 AM   #12
GoodandEvil
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 MCB

don't understand those who complain about the active sound in M5, I have owned 2 M5s and never had a problem with it. No one can tell the difference until BMW says there is a active sound system in the car. Anyway, turbo engines need to improve sound characteristic, either through active sound or something else
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 10:51 AM   #13
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodandEvil View Post
don't understand those who complain about the active sound in M5, I have owned 2 M5s and never had a problem with it. No one can tell the difference until BMW says there is a active sound system in the car. Anyway, turbo engines need to improve sound characteristic, either through active sound or something else
+1 nearly all of the people whining about this have never heard it.

Neil.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 11:01 AM   #14
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

I think if you told a group of reviewers that the car came with active sound and then turned it off, a significant number of them would still lament about the fake sound.
      05-29-2014, 11:02 AM   #15
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McRae View Post
I say listen to it and then decide.

your ears are more likely 3% different to the next crash test dummy on this forum
Listen to what? You guys don't get it. It doesn't matter how it sounds. It is electronically enhanced and not the 100% exhaust sound. What you guys are saying is it doesn't matter if Lance Armstrong took enhancers to win 7 Tours.....he had great finishes. The results do not justify the means. There are many turbo cars that sound good without having to resort to this.

Furthermore and even more troubling is that BMW didn't just let you switch it off easily. I understand in this plastic society where perfect 16 year olds get fake breasts and nose jobs that there are many that love fake or enhanced but BMW should at least let you switch it off.

Last edited by nachob; 05-29-2014 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 11:07 AM   #16
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4TW
I think if you told a group of reviewers that the car came with active sound and then turned it off, a significant number of them would still lament about the fake sound.
Exactly. I don't know why it's a big deal and I still can't fathom how it's been such a huge topic of discussion. If only there was a way to just say "get over it", and move onto a subject of actual importance.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 11:09 AM   #17
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4TW View Post

I'm fairly convinced after reading reviews and the discussions here that it's like reading a wine forum where a bunch of people who have never tried the wine argue about how tannic it is, or whether it really has notes of toasted oak and blackberries.

Who would do that? TASTE THE FUCKING WINE. Likewise, let's bitch about the sound after we've heard it. Let's complain about the steering feel after we've driven it. Certainly let's avoid parsing the language of a short first drive review.

I am tired of reading arguments about differing interpretations of subjective opinions that are likely all as inaccurate as if we all tried to guess someone's weight from their profile pic.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 11:12 AM   #18
Judge Dredd
Bayerische Motoren Werke
United_States
Rep
Drives: recklessly

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
I would prefer, myself, amplification over artificial noise. I don't mind it louder I just don't want it to be fake, not because I don't like the sound, I just don't like the thought of it. Call me high maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 11:13 AM   #19
Drizz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW X7; '20 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McRae View Post
+1 nearly all of the people whining about this have never heard it.

Neil.
Completely agree. Also, most of the people complaining will never buy the car anyway. You see the guy w/ the '02 Civic saying he was about to pull the trigger on a new M3/M4 until he found out it had active sound and will now look elsewhere...come on...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 11:13 AM   #20
mxa121
Major
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:

Since character is an immeasurable quantity, I am sure it is volume.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 11:14 AM   #21
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
Exactly. I don't know why it's a big deal and I still can't fathom how it's been such a huge topic of discussion. If only there was a way to just say "get over it", and move onto a subject of actual importance.
Because Biturbo AMGs don't need any Active Sound Design systems and yet they sound totally amazing. Another question is, why did BMW bother with installing the ASD into the F8x cars if it only alters 3 % of the sound?

Something weird is going on.
      05-29-2014, 11:15 AM   #22
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keto
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4TW View Post

I'm fairly convinced after reading reviews and the discussions here that it's like reading a wine forum where a bunch of people who have never tried the wine argue about how tannic it is, or whether it really has notes of toasted oak and blackberries.

Who would do that? TASTE THE FUCKING WINE. Likewise, let's bitch about the sound after we've heard it. Let's complain about the steering feel after we've driven it. Certainly let's avoid parsing the language of a short first drive review.

I am tired of reading arguments about differing interpretations of subjective opinions that are likely all as inaccurate as if we all tried to guess someone's weight from their profile pic.
Oh my god. That's the best analogy I've ever seen. I think that applies to vast majority of the discussions I've seen here.
Appreciate 0