EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

01-20-2017, 12:48 PM   #1
jwoo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competetion

New: Suntek Ultra (now has 10 year warranty)

Unfortunately, I just got my car wrapped in Suntek, but just learned from their regional sales rep that they now have a new paint protection film (Suntek Ultra) that has a 10 year warranty. I hope this helps Suntek compete with xpel, because they really make an amazing product. It is much better (looks wise) than xpel in my opinion...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 06:59 AM   #2
Narmeen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoo View Post
Unfortunately, I just got my car wrapped in Suntek, but just learned from their regional sales rep that they now have a new paint protection film (Suntek Ultra) that has a 10 year warranty. I hope this helps Suntek compete with xpel, because they really make an amazing product. It is much better (looks wise) than xpel in my opinion...
i am about to get my m4 clear bra'd and the guy did mention he has a new product Suntek ultra for $50 more and it has 10 year warranty. so i will go with that than. anyone here got suntek ultra already?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 08:38 PM   #3
Need4spd28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

I'm dying to know why this matters. Do any of us actually plan on keeping our cars for that long? Love my M3, but I know full well I'll love something else more in a couple years.

By the way, regular Suntek is terrific. It's all about the installer though in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 07:27 PM   #4
Narmeen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

i got suntek ultra on all of front bumper, head lights, 1/3 of the hood, mirrors, and near back tires on the sides. 10 year warranty - only if that place closes down than i am screwed.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 11:32 PM   #5
mracer101
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4spd28 View Post
I'm dying to know why this matters. Do any of us actually plan on keeping our cars for that long? Love my M3, but I know full well I'll love something else more in a couple years.

By the way, regular Suntek is terrific. It's all about the installer though in my opinion.
Lets see... I have a 96 NSX-T and 04 E46 M3 and they're still with me. So yeah, it depends on the owner. Unfortunately, I don't have any PPF on them but they're still good look after any wash and wax + polish.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 03:01 PM   #6
RobC2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: different makes and models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mracer101 View Post
Lets see... I have a 96 NSX-T and 04 E46 M3 and they're still with me. So yeah, it depends on the owner. Unfortunately, I don't have any PPF on them but they're still good look after any wash and wax + polish.
Awesome cars! I would say that is not the norm on this forum however. If I had to guess, the average length of ownership is probably about 2.75 years.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 08:10 PM   #7
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
People gets XPel mostly because of the 10 year warranty but most every good, independent PPF installers would recommend Suntek over Xpel.

I have a friend that has Xpel Ultra and I can notice it immediately on his M3. I have Suntek PPF-C on my M4 and now the new Suntek Ultra on the Macan S and in both instances I cannot tell if they were on or not.

Suntek is glossier and looks better as well as the same thickness as Xpel Ultra. The only reason Xpel is "thicker" is because of the adhesive. I spoken a lot with my detailer about this and he is one of the best in Orange County. He would always recommend Suntek over Xpel, and as far as I can tell, other detailers or installers would also recommend the same if they aren't sponsored by Xpel.

Most cars these days won't get past 5 years, so the 10 year thing is more of a "just in case" sort of deal. Suntek Ultra so far looks good on the Macan S.

That being said however, there isn't anything wrong with Xpel. A PPF is still a PPF and as long as it is installed correct, if it is Suntek, Xpel, Nano or not, it would do it's job. It just depends if you want to a certain look or not.
      02-11-2017, 09:53 PM   #8
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
People gets XPel mostly because of the 10 year warranty but most every good, independent PPF installers would recommend Suntek over Xpel.

I have a friend that has Xpel Ultra and I can notice it immediately on his M3. I have Suntek PPF-C on my M4 and now the new Suntek Ultra on the Macan S and in both instances I cannot tell if they were on or not.

Suntek is glossier and looks better as well as the same thickness as Xpel Ultra. The only reason Xpel is "thicker" is because of the adhesive. I spoken a lot with my detailer about this and he is one of the best in Orange County. He would always recommend Suntek over Xpel, and as far as I can tell, other detailers or installers would also recommend the same if they aren't sponsored by Xpel.

Most cars these days won't get past 5 years, so the 10 year thing is more of a "just in case" sort of deal. Suntek Ultra so far looks good on the Macan S.

That being said however, there isn't anything wrong with Xpel. A PPF is still a PPF and as long as it is installed correct, if it is Suntek, Xpel, Nano or not, it would do it's job. It just depends if you want to a certain look or not.
would the detailer be Rhino? I go there for all my cars.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 11:18 PM   #9
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
would the detailer be Rhino? I go there for all my cars.
Actually it is Envious Detailing.

I was recommended Rhino though~
      02-11-2017, 11:41 PM   #10
Mistertmac
Chief Warrant Officer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 ZCP,20 G06,24 G05 M60i

Garage List
I had Suntek put on the entire front end of my M4 the week I took delivery. Best option available here locally in Germany.
What prices do they charge in the US for Suntek these days?
2022 G01/X3 DG/TR M40i
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 01:46 AM   #11
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertmac View Post
I had Suntek put on the entire front end of my M4 the week I took delivery. Best option available here locally in Germany.
What prices do they charge in the US for Suntek these days?
It depends on how much you are doing.

Including paint correction (which SHOULD be done by the way), around 1,500 or more. W/o paint correction, less than that. Any PPF can hide some scratch lines and stuff like that, especially on light colored cars but dark colored cars will show some anyway.

My M4 was more because the car required more paint correction, my Macan S wasn't nearly as much but I have known Envious Detailing for awhile and Eric did me a little favor. He pretty much does all my cars.
      06-09-2017, 11:16 AM   #12
SuckaGDog
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5, C63 AMG Black Series

Anyone else has experience with the new Suntek Ultra version? I am trying to decide between the original film or the new one. My biggest concern is clarity and gloss. I've had the original film on my past two cars and it's been great. My installer offered me the ultra version for only $95 more so seeing if it's worth it or not. He hasn't done a car with the ultra film yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 10:47 PM   #13
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in pre-order stages

suntek ppfc looks good and great, great gloss and clarity
suntek ultra has a ever so slightly more grain to the film, hardly noticeable, not noticeable unless you have suntek ppfc right next to it.
ultra is more clear on white where ppfc has a tad more "yellowness" to it.

Cant go wrong with either one, might as well get the ultra for the longer warranty against delamination, yellowing, peeling (not lifting edges), etc. Expect to pay about 10% more for ultra, its more expensive than ppfc
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 06:07 PM   #14
SuckaGDog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S View Post
suntek ultra has a ever so slightly more grain to the film, hardly noticeable, not noticeable unless you have suntek ppfc right next to it.

Cant go wrong with either one, might as well get the ultra for the longer warranty against delamination, yellowing, peeling (not lifting edges), etc. Expect to pay about 10% more for ultra, its more expensive than ppfc
Thank you for responding. My installer showed me some samples, but they were not on a car's surface so hard to say. Anyways, I decided to go ahead with the Ultra. The small difference in price plus the added warranty and improvements in the film seem to be worth it. It will actually be going on my silver Black Series.

After my car is completed next month I will post up my thoughts and pictures for others who may have the same questions.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 07:39 PM   #15
SuckaGDog
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Just got my back car back last Friday with the new Ultra film installed, and I applied the Dr Beasley's Nano Resin coating on it this week.

You are correct, there is a very, very minuscule amount of grain on the Ultra film. As soon as I compared the PPF-C to the Ultra film sample I saw it. If I didn't compare the two I wouldn't have noticed. At first it bothered me a tad, but got over it as the other benefits were worth choosing the Ultra. No brainer going with the Ultra since the price difference was so small.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 03:22 PM   #16
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Any significant price difference between XPEL and Suntek?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 10:23 PM   #17
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep

from a roll cost price, it depends on the company and their purchase price. Shop 1 might get it for 5 a roll, but shop 2 gets it for 8 a roll...that right there is enough to push things a couple of ways.

either the 8 shop will have to charge more to cover costs, or eat the difference

So, to say for certain, its unclear. I do know for a fact suntek ultra is more expensive per roll, so expect to pay the same as xpel these days, but its a better looking film
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 03:31 AM   #18
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

hey guys I'm looking at the suntek PPF and the ultra is more like $400 AUD more with 10yrs warranty vs 5 years for the standard

Ive had my car now for almost 7 years and plan on keeping it, but yeah unsure if its worth the extra $ or not??
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 08:38 AM   #19
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep

I would. There is no need to keep PPFC in stock anymore unless its to hit a lower point, but that doesnt make any sense when you really break it down.

If you go in asking for a 1200 full front, you can be assured you are not getting PPF Ultra as something has to give in order to give a 30% discount Any business offering a 30 to 50% discount just because is going to go under fast and I would stay away from that job.

Last edited by Eric S; 03-12-2019 at 09:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 04:27 PM   #20
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
I would. There is no need to keep PPFC in stock anymore unless its to hit a lower point, but that doesnt make any sense when you really break it down.

If you go in asking for a 1200 full front, you can be assured you are not getting PPF Ultra as something has to give in order to give a 30% discount Any business offering a 30 to 50% discount just because is going to go under fast and I would stay away from that job.
This is the pricing in AUD
Attached Images

Appreciate 0