Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-18-2017, 02:51 PM   #1
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92: F82: M2C: M2 CS (Now)

Anyone do camber plates on ZCP without lowering?

I may track the car once or twice but mostly it will be a DD and was I wondering if there is a noticeable change in steering feel with just changing the camber plates, (without installing lowering springs). I will also be replacing the thrust arm ( I think that's what it's called and can't check at the moment ) bushing with a bearing, Rogue or Dinan likely. BTW, Impossible to lower the car unless I move to a new home with a 'normal' driveway. Lol.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2017, 07:07 PM   #2
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP

ZCP owner here. I'm running OEM adaptive suspension with TCKline camber plates. Steering feel is improved, and understeer is reduced even more. I also coded in the GTS steering which combined with the camber plates gives pretty decent feel upfront. I've been daily driving this setup all spring and summer without issue. I would suggest 5-10mm spacers for the front though, as the extra camber tucks the front wheels under the fenders quite a bit. Any other questions give me a shout! Good luck

Aaron

ZCP - Daily Driven Trackster ~ Gone but not Forgotten
1LE - Track Rubber & Garage Dust Collector
Appreciate 1
Ilikemike250.50
      06-18-2017, 07:24 PM   #3
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRiderAaron View Post
ZCP owner here. I'm running OEM adaptive suspension with TCKline camber plates. Steering feel is improved, and understeer is reduced even more. I also coded in the GTS steering which combined with the camber plates gives pretty decent feel upfront. I've been daily driving this setup all spring and summer without issue. I would suggest 5-10mm spacers for the front though, as the extra camber tucks the front wheels under the fenders quite a bit. Any other questions give me a shout! Good luck

Aaron
Thanks Aaron, where did the GTS software come from, factory? How many degrees of offset are you running?
Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 12:22 PM   #4
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikemike View Post
Thanks Aaron, where did the GTS software come from, factory? How many degrees of offset are you running?
Mike
You can "code" the GTS settings with Esys. Venture over to the "DIY and Coding Discussion" if you're interested. Very simple and easy to do.

I am running 10mm spacers all around. Its just about perfect and it doesn't rub in street/track setting.

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 12:49 AM   #5
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
I may track the car once or twice but mostly it will be a DD and was I wondering if there is a noticeable change in steering feel with just changing the camber plates, (without installing lowering springs). I will also be replacing the thrust arm ( I think that's what it's called and can't check at the moment ) bushing with a bearing, Rogue or Dinan likely. BTW, Impossible to lower the car unless I move to a new home with a 'normal' driveway. Lol.
Steering feel will improve and you will get more feedback from the road.

Dinan and RE are both good choice. SPL also has a good upgraded monoball:

http://www.hpashop.com/SPL-FKS-Front...8X-SPL-FKS.htm

Or a fully adjustable thrust arm to:

http://www.hpashop.com/SPL-TITANIUM-...nsion-Rods.htm
Appreciate 1
Ilikemike250.50
      06-20-2017, 06:11 AM   #6
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
If you plan to track the car only once or twice, there isn't really a need for you to get camber plates. The main driver for camber plates is to prolong track tire life. It is mostly caster that will will increase steering feedback, so unless you get plates that either have caster adjustability or statically increase caster, steering feel will not change that much. It is important to know that camber plates will increase NVH, which is not desirable for a mostly street driven car. And lastly but not least, do you have spacers? Altering the front offset can be the biggest culprit for killing steering feel and feedback as it alters the scrub radius and required Ackerman angle when the wheels are steered.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 06-20-2017 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 1
Ilikemike250.50
      06-20-2017, 08:24 AM   #7
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
If you plan to track the car only once or twice, there isn't really a need for you to get camber plates. The main driver for camber plates is to prolong track tire life. It is mostly caster that will will increase steering feedback, so unless you get plates that either have caster adjustability or statically increase caster, steering feel will not change that much. It is important to know that camber plates will increase NVH, which is not desirable for a mostly street driven car. And lastly but not least, do you have spacers? Altering the front offset can be the biggest culprit for killing steering feel and feedback as it alters the scrub radius and require Ackerman angle when the wheels are steered.
Agreed, if only 1-2 events per year, won't warrant camber plates on the ZCP. Street conditions the car really doesn't understeer (driving around speed limits). 3+ events then it makes it worth it for improved tire wear and laptimes

Can, I didn't notice any loss of steering feel when doing the spacers + GTS coding. Seems better than ever IMO. However, the camber plates did increase NVH.

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 09:55 AM   #8
Woodengun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yugo

The monoball will give more steering feel. Keep in mind that these aftermarket monoballs need regular replacement. How often depends on the driving environment.
Appreciate 1
Ilikemike250.50
      06-20-2017, 11:00 AM   #9
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodengun View Post
The monoball will give more steering feel. Keep in mind that these aftermarket monoballs need regular replacement. How often depends on the driving environment.
Yep, they aren't meant to last forever.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 11:45 AM   #10
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Can, I didn't notice any loss of steering feel when doing the spacers + GTS coding.
That's because there is not much there to lose to start with . But if you pay close attention going back and forth, you can notice there is less feedback with the spacers on (I tried with 12mm).

Kidding aside, what I find most increased steering feedback is the tires. The 265/35R19 (M0) I have up front made the steering more "alive". The steering was even better when I had the rear 275/35R19(*) installed up front, but those tires were just not suitable as front tires . When I have my 275/35R18 NT01 installed, the steering feel is actually quite good .

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 03:48 PM   #11
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
If you plan to track the car only once or twice, there isn't really a need for you to get camber plates. The main driver for camber plates is to prolong track tire life. It is mostly caster that will will increase steering feedback, so unless you get plates that either have caster adjustability or statically increase caster, steering feel will not change that much. It is important to know that camber plates will increase NVH, which is not desirable for a mostly street driven car. And lastly but not least, do you have spacers? Altering the front offset can be the biggest culprit for killing steering feel and feedback as it alters the scrub radius and required Ackerman angle when the wheels are steered.
All your comments are very helpful, Thanks!
I do not run spacers, primarily due to your (CANAUT) perspective on the matter...
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321116.50
      06-21-2017, 07:13 AM   #12
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's because there is not much there to lose to start with . But if you pay close attention going back and forth, you can notice there is less feedback with the spacers on (I tried with 12mm).

Kidding aside, what I find most increased steering feedback is the tires. The 265/35R19 (M0) I have up front made the steering more "alive". The steering was even better when I had the rear 275/35R19(*) installed up front, but those tires were just not suitable as front tires . When I have my 275/35R18 NT01 installed, the steering feel is actually quite good .
Yeah you're right, we're splitting hairs when talking about steering feel and the F-series

I agree, tires can make a big difference. Going from an all-season or summer tire to extreme performance tire can help a lot.

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 07:50 PM   #13
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

Quote:
One of the biggest advantages is definitely track tires life. i really do believe they improve the feel of the car on the street too though. I think camber plates are a great mod even if you only track once or twice a year.

I totally agree with you that it is overkill for a street build but I personally noticed an increase in turn in response and steering feel when I installed plates on my builds. I run over 3 degrees on my daily driver. One day at the track without proper front camber will do some serious work to your tires.

Last edited by CPWINCH; 06-26-2017 at 07:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
Ilikemike250.50
      06-27-2017, 05:28 AM   #14
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWINCH View Post
One of the biggest advantages is definitely track tires life. i really do believe they improve the feel of the car on the street too though. I think camber plates are a great mod even if you only track once or twice a year.

I totally agree with you that it is overkill for a street build but I personally noticed an increase in turn in response and steering feel when I installed plates on my builds. I run over 3 degrees on my daily driver. One day at the track without proper front camber will do some serious work to your tires.
OP mentioned tracking one or twice without a timeframe reference, so I assumed it was over the course of ownership. For that little track time, I don't believe the drawbacks of camber plates are worth it for the benefit they provide.

I agree with you though, the car feels more planted on the street with more eagerness on turn-in with a good alignment.

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 09:21 AM   #15
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
OP mentioned tracking one or twice without a timeframe reference, so I assumed it was over the course of ownership. For that little track time, I don't believe the drawbacks of camber plates are worth it for the benefit they provide.

I agree with you though, the car feels more planted on the street with more eagerness on turn-in with a good alignment.
The drawbacks being mainly excess tire wear and, to a lesser degree, excess wear on suspension components? I'd be wiling to live with that for a bit better 'feel' and 'turn in' I was thinking once or twice a year for the track...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 11:51 AM   #16
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

True that. After I made that post my tire blew out because of excessive inner tire wear haha. So there are drawbacks to camber on a street car.
      06-28-2017, 08:48 PM   #17
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
True that. After I made that post my tire blew out because of excessive inner tire wear haha. So there are drawbacks to camber on a street car.
Good to know, thanks!
Just thinking -3 degrees does not sound like much and i've heard -2 also quoted but I have no visual on what that looks like? I think Aaron mentioned the -2 but needing 10 or 12mm spacers, so if he has a photo, greatly appreciated! CANAUT, what do you run?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 09:13 PM   #18
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good to know, thanks!
Just thinking -3 degrees does not sound like much and i've heard -2 also quoted but I have no visual on what that looks like? I think Aaron mentioned the -2 but needing 10 or 12mm spacers, so if he has a photo, greatly appreciated! CANAUT, what do you run?
This is a little over 3 degrees with a 20mm spacer

06-28-2017, 10:21 PM   #19
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
This is a little over 3 degrees with a 20mm spacer

That's great, thanks! Looks good!
Not as extreme looking as I expected, guess the 20 mm spacers make the difference.

Last edited by Ilikemike; 06-28-2017 at 10:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 10:34 PM   #20
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Aaron
Thanks Aaron, just wondering if you have picture of the front showing the spacer and offset angle, if it was different than -3?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 11:02 PM   #21
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Aaron, just wondering if you have picture of the front showing the spacer and offset angle, if it was different than -3?
sure, ill try and get a few pics for ya

Appreciate 1
Ilikemike250.50
      07-05-2017, 06:47 PM   #22
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep

Sorry for the delay. Not great pictures here, but it should at least give you an idea of what to expect with camber plates (-2.5deg~).

Appreciate 0