Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

02-24-2017, 09:33 PM   #45
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadZarBMR View Post
Well, seems like they are sticking to the typical test plan for this. Any discussion on what they would try if this does not fix it for you?

YMBdoc any luck getting your alignment sheet. It would be great to have as a comparison.

Very much appreciate everyone's positive input on this thread. Just knowing I am not the only one dealing with this is a huge help.
Haven't asked as of yet, only got the email from him updating on what they are doing. I'm hoping to get to test drive before I take possession again.

Will let everyone know after this fix what the outcome is!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 10:50 PM   #46
Bomiz
Captain
Rep
Drives: SS E92 M3

Most electric steering cars I drive do this. So it doesn't really seem like an issue to me
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 09:39 AM   #47
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current: '18 M3 ZCP - 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomiz
Most electric steering cars I drive do this. So it doesn't really seem like an issue to me
Did they all pull to the right even when driving on roads that should make the car pull left due to road crown or slope? Mine literally climbs the road to the right when it's expected to favor a left pull. That can't be normal.

I think all of us with this issue understand that a certain amount of steer drift to either side is normal, but our cars require constant left steering input to keep the car straight. I have yet to see anyone report their car pulling left - even in places with left side roads.
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2017, 10:03 AM   #48
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomiz View Post
Given BMW NA sent an engineer to look at mine - and others - and has lemoned several F8x's for this, sure appears to be an issue to them.

Plus at the track - COTA especially - don't want to be fighting a right pull while braking from 140-150mph on the back straight. Sure as hell didn't have to do that in the E90 M3 - nor the 340i I just traded for this car and which also has EPS. It tracked straight and true, no pull or tendency to go right...just dead straight ahead.

As it is now, let go of the wheel at 80 and it goes right immediately, Did it once at a little over 100 on the tollway and it was scary how bad the pull was if you let loose of the wheel at that speed. Dangerous is more like it.

Any car designed for the Autobahn should not do anything like that since cruising 100-120 is sort of the norm.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 12:10 PM   #49
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M4, Z4, X5, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTrkJunkie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomiz View Post
Given BMW NA sent an engineer to look at mine - and others - and has lemoned several F8x's for this, sure appears to be an issue to them.

Plus at the track - COTA especially - don't want to be fighting a right pull while braking from 140-150mph on the back straight. Sure as hell didn't have to do that in the E90 M3 - nor the 340i I just traded for this car and which also has EPS. It tracked straight and true, no pull or tendency to go right...just dead straight ahead.

As it is now, let go of the wheel at 80 and it goes right immediately, Did it once at a little over 100 on the tollway and it was scary how bad the pull was if you let loose of the wheel at that speed. Dangerous is more like it.

Any car designed for the Autobahn should not do anything like that since cruising 100-120 is sort of the norm.
That's the weird thing with my car, it WAS straight on the Autobahn for my ED. I was going 150mph and it drove like it was on glass! Get the car back to the States and the pull to the right started. Not sure exactly what mileage it started but it's constant and very annoying now.
      02-26-2017, 06:09 AM   #50
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidGP View Post
Gosh, I had no idea that was a real issue. Thanks for schooling me on how to use the search function though. Keep up the good fight.
Someone has to educate the uninformed, duh.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 06:11 AM   #51
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

My car is a real joy to drive now without the pull to the right.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 01:19 PM   #52
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchinManWheels View Post
That's the weird thing with my car, it WAS straight on the Autobahn for my ED. I was going 150mph and it drove like it was on glass! Get the car back to the States and the pull to the right started. Not sure exactly what mileage it started but it's constant and very annoying now.
Yah, when I took delivery - out of inventory, not an ED - the car was perfect. I never would have purchased one that had this issue. But at about 200-250 miles it began to pull right more and more, so took it in.

Then they seemed to have fixed it with a wheel straighten and after the 5th alignment and it was fine for a couple hundred miles, but slowly started pulling again, which is when my SA and the sales manager suggested I engage BMW NA...so here we are. Baffling honestly!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 01:20 PM   #53
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglo View Post
My car is a real joy to drive now without the pull to the right.
Hope that's where I land, too!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 07:44 AM   #54
suprajjang
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: SMB M3CS

So I am kind of confused with my car but wanted to give an update to my initial post in case anyone has any input or more experience. So last Friday on my commute to work is when I first experienced this sharp pull to the right. I wanted replicate this on my commute this morning so I can be prepared to demonstrate this to the SA when I bring the car in for service. Taking the same route to work in the same lane around the same speeds, my car did not exhibit this sharp pull to the right this morning. The only difference I can think of is that last Friday I had the engine setting on sport + and this morning I had it on comfort so I guess my experiment with this continues on...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 10:12 AM   #55
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprajjang
So I am kind of confused with my car but wanted to give an update to my initial post in case anyone has any input or more experience. So last Friday on my commute to work is when I first experienced this sharp pull to the right. I wanted replicate this on my commute this morning so I can be prepared to demonstrate this to the SA when I bring the car in for service. Taking the same route to work in the same lane around the same speeds, my car did not exhibit this sharp pull to the right this morning. The only difference I can think of is that last Friday I had the engine setting on sport + and this morning I had it on comfort so I guess my experiment with this continues on...
Mine is consistent in all modes regardless of combo - throttle, suspension and steering. By now, I've test every possible combo including turning all the nannies off. Also, even though my rear is toed to steer the car left, it still veers right even under hard acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 06:25 PM   #56
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quick update, parts did not come in today, so looking at least tomorrow before they redo the driver side. SA thinks it may be ready late tomorrow, we'll see
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 07:08 PM   #57
IrvineTim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMBdoc View Post
Job # 1 Labor Total: $ 0.00
CLEINT STATES THE VEHICLE IS PULLING TO THE RIGHT.
SPECIALORDERED PARTS ARE HERE. SEE CONRAD
Cause: PREVIOUS VIST FOUND THE FRONT CAMBER LEFT AND RIGHT WERE NOTEVEN, BUT WERE STILL IN SPEC. NEW SWIVEL BEARING WAS ORDEREDTO ADJUST CAMBER.
Correction: REPLACED THE RIGHT FRONT SWIVEL BEARING WITH -30 PART.PERFORMED ALIGNMENT AND ADJUSTED THE FRONT TOE. PERFORMEDSTEERING START-UP. TEST DROVE THE VEHICLE AND IT WAS STILLDRIFTING RIGHT. SWAPPED ALL 4 WHEELS WITH A KNOWN GOOD SET.TEST DROVE AND IT WAS STILL DRIFTING. REINSTALLED ORIGINALWHEELS. CONTACTED BMW AND WAS GIVEN A RECOMMEND PROCEDURE.REMOVED THE NEW SWIVEL BEARING AND INSTALLED ORIGINAL.REPLACED THE LEFT SWIVEL BEARING WITH +30. PERFORMEDALIGNMENT AND ADJUSTED FRONT TOE. TEST DROVE THE VEHICLE ANDTHE VEHICLE WAS NOW TRACKING STRAIGHT. SHOP FOREMAN RODECUSTOMER AND HE WAS SATISFIED.
Part Number Part Description Parts Total: $ 0.00
BM33-32-6-768-884 HEXAGON NUT WITH CO
BM07-11-9-905-418 HEX BOLT WITH WASHE
BM31-21-7-853-640 SWIVEL BEARING, CAM
BM31-21-7-853-637 PIVOT BEARING, CAMB
BM31-20-6-872-920 ROUND COLLAR SCREW
BM33-30-6-787-062 COMBINATION NUT
BM31-20-6-872-920 ROUND COLLAR SCREW
BM07-11-9-905-418 HEX BOLT WITH WASHE
BM33-30-6-787-062 COMBINATION NUT
This is what they did to fix my pull to the right also. The dealer did not jerk me around at all. It took them two tries to get it right though.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2017, 07:28 PM   #58
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Sub'd
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 08:22 PM   #59
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrvineTim View Post
This is what they did to fix my pull to the right also. The dealer did not jerk me around at all. It took them two tries to get it right though.
Good to know, they did the passenger side after 4 alignments, now NA recommended this so hoping it's the fix. If they get the parts first thing tomorrow it could be ready before EOD...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 02:29 PM   #60
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Car was supposed to be ready yesterday, then this morning, now pushing 3pm and still no word. Guessing the fix may not have corrected the pull.

I have to take one of my kids to an after school event here in about 30mins so will be tomorrow at the earliest.

As much as I like the 535, sure would like to get my car back!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 02:56 PM   #61
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Car was supposed to be ready yesterday, then this morning, now pushing 3pm and still no word. Guessing the fix may not have corrected the pull.

I have to take one of my kids to an after school event here in about 30mins so will be tomorrow at the earliest.

Bummer. Well hopefully tomorrow.
Please, please post the post "fix" alignment specs when you do get your car back. Thanks!!
      03-01-2017, 07:45 PM   #62
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTrkJunkie

Sucks, but at least they aren't trying to return a car that isn't fixed while saying it is.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 09:15 PM   #63
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchinManWheels View Post
Bummer. Well hopefully tomorrow.
Please, please post the post "fix" alignment specs when you do get your car back. Thanks!!
Def will!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 09:19 PM   #64
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadZarBMR View Post
Sucks, but at least they aren't trying to return a car that isn't fixed while saying it is.
True.

Side note, this is one time I've actually found the BMW Connected app useful, I can see that they moved it at 7:02pm CST and according to the locator it's on the inside of the shop, which is nice...especially since it indicates it's unlocked
Appreciate 1
MadZarBMR712.00
      03-02-2017, 02:47 PM   #65
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Well, got the car back, drove home and it's tracking totally straight with no pull. But when I pulled in the garage and popped the glovebox to see the alignment specs(where the tech had put them the last 4 times) - should have done this up front - it was not there.

Emailed my SA and he shot it right over which was great.

But now the alignment specs are totally whacked.

-.39 left front, -1.2 right front. That's almost a full degree off left to right. As you can see from the bottom of the sheet, it even warns it's out of spec

This may not be an issue for a non-tracked car, but that one corner is so far off - a degree of camber differential on one corner is a ton from my experience - that it will make the car hard to handle at turn-in and likely very twitchy on corner exit.

SA is asking me to call NA to see what they say as this was the last fix they had. Having one corner this far off spec should not be the fix. It's like adding a ton of left toe to stop a right pull. Sure, it fixes it, but it's not a real solution. I wonder if there's a Lemon case coming...

Calling them now.

Last edited by AustinTrkJunkie; 03-02-2017 at 02:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 03:03 PM   #66
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, got the car back, drove home and it's tracking totally straight with no pull. But when I pulled in the garage and popped the glovebox to see the alignment specs(where the tech had put them the last 4 times) - should have done this up front - it was not there.

Emailed my SA and he shot it right over which was great.

But now the alignment specs are totally whacked.

-.39 left front, -1.2 right front. That's almost a full degree off left to right. As you can see from the bottom of the sheet, it even warns it's out of spec

This may not be an issue for a non-tracked car, but that one corner is so far off - a degree of camber differential on one corner is a ton from my experience - that it will make the car hard to handle at turn-in and likely very twitchy on corner exit.

SA is asking me to call NA to see what they say as this was the last fix they had. Having one corner this far off spec should not be the fix. It's like adding a ton of left toe to stop a right pull. Sure, it fixes it, but it's not a real solution. I wonder if there's a Lemon case coming...

Calling them now.

My theory of "fix" vs "patch" is true for this fix as well. Glad it's driving straight but this is not a fix as you know. I could do the same thing to my car today with my camber plates put I refuse to do this to my car. Adding more positive (less neg) to driver's side or more negative camber to passenger' side will make these cars track straight but it doesn't fix the problem!
Keep pushing until they fix the problem or lemon the car. BMWNA needs to fix this problem!!!