GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

04-23-2017, 07:28 PM   #1
zerofighter
projecttechnik.com
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP

Paint correction before PPF?

Hey All

I'm awaiting the arrival of my F80 from my ED drop off and will be having Suntek applied to the front end (full hood, full fender, bumper, etc) as well as either Opti-Coat/CQuartz applied. Is it better to;

Get the paint protection done before the Suntek goes on then the Opti-Coat/CQuartz or Suntek then paint correction and Opti-Coat/CQuartz.

Thanks
-Pearson
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 06:59 AM   #2
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Truck

I would consider an installer that would do this under the film as part of prep. Saying that, you are going to be looking for an installer that should not be the cheapest. That installer will be able to handle the install and any issues that may arise in the future without problems to you.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 07:59 AM   #3
vonmayr
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerofighter View Post
Hey All

I'm awaiting the arrival of my F80 from my ED drop off and will be having Suntek applied to the front end (full hood, full fender, bumper, etc) as well as either Opti-Coat/CQuartz applied. Is it better to;

Get the paint protection done before the Suntek goes on then the Opti-Coat/CQuartz or Suntek then paint correction and Opti-Coat/CQuartz.

Thanks
-Pearson
Talk to your installer. If all they do is clean the car before installing the film, then yes, the paint correction must be done first. Preferably immediately before you take it to the PPF installer. I was unable to find one in my locale that would do both, so my preferred detailer did the Paint Correction and my preferred installer put on the PPF. Worked out great.
Best Regards, Robert (BMWCCA #471893)
Loreley 2015 / //M3 6MT SO over full SO, Exec,Susp & Lighting, HK & Blk 19's - ED 15 May 2015, Redelivery 23 July 2015
My photography: WWW.PBASE.COM/VONMAYR
My ED Adventure http://www.vonmayredadventure.blogspot.com
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 08:50 AM   #4
scottemad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '17 TZB F80 ZCP

I would make sure to explicitly ask like above. Mine wasn't done before PPF, and even with 100 miles on the car, there are some things I am trying to live with underneath. (some minor stuff that for some reason is driving me up a wall.) If I could go back and do it again the right way I would.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 11:38 AM   #5
A418t81
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Ever changing fleet

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
I had a light correction done before the PPF and G techniq went on. Amazing results. There are some imperfections that occur during PDI and shipping. All of that was corrected before everything else went on. Results are impressive.

image by glmmd81, on Flickr
      04-24-2017, 12:53 PM   #6
scottemad
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post
I had a light correction done before the PPF and G techniq went on. Amazing results. There are some imperfections that occur during PDI and shipping. All of that was corrected before everything else went on. Results are impressive.

image by glmmd81, on Flickr
Looks very nice! My tanzanite is going to need some love before summer goes into full swing I think.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 06:37 AM   #7
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Truck

Correction under PPF

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottemad View Post
I would make sure to explicitly ask like above. Mine wasn't done before PPF, and even with 100 miles on the car, there are some things I am trying to live with underneath. (some minor stuff that for some reason is driving me up a wall.) If I could go back and do it again the right way I would.
Why can't you? Other than not agreeing to it before the install.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 11:12 AM   #8
scottemad
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_SC View Post
Why can't you? Other than not agreeing to it before the install.

Bruce
At this point its just more money than I really care to spend, remove the ppf, get a detail, install new ppf. The PPF already cost me with the extra coverage in the 3k range. It looks 'fine' but I have a bit of OCD around it and sometimes it drives me a tad nuts.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 11:18 PM   #9
zerofighter
projecttechnik.com
Canada
Rep

Anyone have the SunTek Ultra film yet?

I'll have the SunTek film coated with Opti-Coat Pro+, thinking it might be a bit overkill to get the Ultra since the Pro+ coating already has the extra hydrophobic properties. Might just get the regular SunTek and save a few hundred since it will be coated with the Opti-Coat Pro+.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 02:57 PM   #10
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in pre-order stages

how close are you to Scotty's shine shop in London, ONT? If close, go visit him and pick his brain, he does both in house personally - paint correction, clear bra, modesta coating.

Yes, have the car at least lightly polished prior to the clear bra. It will enhance the look of the paint before the clear bra locks it all in.

Suntek ultra is good, 10 year warranty, and looks great.
suntek ppfc with a coating looks great and gives off better gloss IMO, while being easier to clean. The coating still doesn't affect the self healing properties of the film, so its a win win
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 12:07 AM   #11
zerofighter
projecttechnik.com
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S View Post
how close are you to Scotty's shine shop in London, ONT? If close, go visit him and pick his brain, he does both in house personally - paint correction, clear bra, modesta coating.

Yes, have the car at least lightly polished prior to the clear bra. It will enhance the look of the paint before the clear bra locks it all in.

Suntek ultra is good, 10 year warranty, and looks great.
suntek ppfc with a coating looks great and gives off better gloss IMO, while being easier to clean. The coating still doesn't affect the self healing properties of the film, so its a win win
I'm in Calgary, might be a bit of a drive out to Ontario lol.

Interesting that you say that the regular Suntek gives a better gloss. I was thinking that regular Suntek plus a coating should be equivalent to Suntek Ultra.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 09:09 PM   #12
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

I would agree with Bruce, ask the right questions when going to an installer, make sure they can do a paint correction before the clear film install if needed. But if your going to a good shop/installer they should already know what they are doing, the installer should be educating and providing you with options.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 12:20 AM   #13
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerofighter View Post
Anyone have the SunTek Ultra film yet?

I'll have the SunTek film coated with Opti-Coat Pro+, thinking it might be a bit overkill to get the Ultra since the Pro+ coating already has the extra hydrophobic properties. Might just get the regular SunTek and save a few hundred since it will be coated with the Opti-Coat Pro+.
I'll let you know once I get my car back. Doing paint correction, Suntek Ultra on hood, front bumper, A pillars, fenders, side skirts, and rear quarter panels. Also will be doing Ceramic Pro 9H on top of the Suntek covering the entire car. Looking forward to the results!!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 11:09 AM   #14
SuckaGDog
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5, C63 AMG Black Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
I'll let you know once I get my car back. Doing paint correction, Suntek Ultra on hood, front bumper, A pillars, fenders, side skirts, and rear quarter panels. Also will be doing Ceramic Pro 9H on top of the Suntek covering the entire car. Looking forward to the results!!
Please update after you get your car back.

I am getting my car's front end done in Suntek and am trying to decide between the original film or the new ultra version. I've had the original version on my past cars and have been happy.

My installer hasn't personally applied the ultra version yet. He feels it is still too new and untested yet which I agree. But offered to order and install it for me for only $95 more than my original quote.

Anyone that has the ultra version please post your thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 11:58 AM   #15
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckaGDog View Post

I am getting my car's front end done in Suntek and am trying to decide between the original film or the new ultra version. I've had the original version on my past cars and have been happy.

My installer hasn't personally applied the ultra version yet. He feels it is still too new and untested yet which I agree. But offered to order and install it for me for only $95 more than my original quote.

Not sure if I can add some insight since I would be getting my car back today so I wouldn't be able to provide a long term review. However I heard Suntek Ultra is mean't to compete with Xpel Ultimate with a 10 year warranty in addition to it being a self-healing film. I would go ahead and opt for the Ultra in your case since its such a small difference in cost.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 04:59 PM   #16
SuckaGDog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Not sure if I can add some insight since I would be getting my car back today so I wouldn't be able to provide a long term review. However I heard Suntek Ultra is mean't to compete with Xpel Ultimate with a 10 year warranty in addition to it being a self-healing film. I would go ahead and opt for the Ultra in your case since its such a small difference in cost.
Yeah, I've decided to go with the ultra. My main concern was with the new hydrophobic properties of the ultra film conflicting with the coating application. Can you ask your detailer if he noticed any increased diffculty applying the coating to the ultra film?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 05:05 PM   #17
Hobbination
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I just ceramic coated my MY18 two weeks ago, 15 hours of work and 8 of those were prep and correction. Def get or diy the correction. Anything not perfect gets Han Solo'd in carbonite and you'll not be able to get at it until film/ceramic is removed.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 07:55 PM   #18
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:

If you don't coat Ultra and dust gets on it, it gets pretty obvious it's there.

My installer still prefers the original Suntek PPF-C. However, having the warranty is still nice.

I have Ultra the Macan S, regular Suntek PPF-C on my M4.
      06-09-2017, 08:18 PM   #19
SuckaGDog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post

My installer still prefers the original Suntek PPF-C. However, having the warranty is still nice.

So you're saying the ultra film shows dust and dirt easier? Or is the actual film on body panels is easier to spot after dust gets on it?

And yes, I will be coating the PPF regardless. That's why I was trying to decide between the original PPF-C or Ultra. From the research I've done most have said it has the same clarity as the original PPF-C, but more gloss along with being more stain/yellowing resistant & hydrophobic.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 08:36 PM   #20
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

So you're saying the ultra film shows dust and dirt easier? Or is the actual film on body panels is easier to spot after dust gets on it?

And yes, I will be coating the PPF regardless. That's why I was trying to decide between the original PPF-C or Ultra. From the research I've done most have said it has the same clarity as the original PPF-C, but more gloss along with being more stain/yellowing resistant & hydrophobic.
Ultra shows dust really easily and it becomes very apparent with dark colored cars.
      06-09-2017, 08:45 PM   #21
SuckaGDog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ultra shows dust really easily and it becomes very apparent with dark colored cars.
Ah, okay I got it. Thank you for clarifying.

The film is actually going on my Black Series which is silver. So hopefully I don't regret my choice. Being you have both, which film do you prefer personally?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 09:15 PM   #22
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
The regular Suntek will look better but if your worried about warranty then Ultra is fine.

Personally I prefer regular because it is tested but if you coat Ultra the dust problem probably won't be as bad. Ultra is kind of like Xpel so.