Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

04-17-2014, 07:59 AM   #89
Sean@PSI
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 Sedan

Drive the GT-R, see if someone close to you has one you can experience for a couple days.

All the GT-Rs I have driven bored me after 2 days of daily driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 11:36 AM   #90
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiplod View Post
Performance - This is a one horse race, the M3, though lively in its own way, feels sluggish after being in the GTR. I suspect a few of you are interested in this one so I'll expand on it a bit, and for those who say power isn't everything - go buy a 2 liter diesel. When you accelerate hard in the M3 you are pushed back into your seat quite pleasantly and if you haven't experienced a performance car before you would say it's thrilling. However, sit in the GTR and floor it and it's like a fairground ride - it is savage and when you come out the other side you have a big grin on your face. It's hard to explain, but as those turbos spool up it becomes a monster. One of the reasons I bought another.
Handling - both cars are different - BMW make nice handling cars. Driving around country lanes you quickly become quite confident in the way it grabs the tarmac and you get a feel for the limits. Contrary to popular belief the GTR requires input from the driver (and a bit of nerve). If you drive it like the BMW then you would struggle to keep up - you need to drive it like a GTR; what I mean by that is you need confidence to give it a bit of wellie through the bends at which point it will hunker down and get around the bend in double quick time, again it will out-run the M3. If you were in some fantasy car chase across Paris with lots of 90 degree bends around the streets then the smaller M3 would be pretty hard to beat. I only drive quickly on the open road. For overtaking the GTR offers more opportunities to do it safely. The M3 has a better turning circle due to the larger tires on the GTR.
For those who are interested in pose credentials no one notices the M3, where one hears 'nice car mate' when I'm in the GTR quite a lot. Not sure whether you would consider this a good or a bad thing. At least neither of them look like poncy Italian cars.
OK which one do I use day to day. Let me first answer that from my partner's perspective. If I'm driving she is indifferent as to which car we take out. If the kids are around we'll take the M3. Similarly my partner will take the M3 as it's her car even though she is insured to drive mine. Both cars are fun to drive and if someone said to me I'd have to have an M3 then I'd be more than happy as it is a good car. However, given the choice I'd take the GTR every time - I did 89,000 miles in the first one. It's more comfortable, roomy, and has mind altering performance and handling.

Hope that helps make a decision.
Thanks for the writeup I'm working on getting a 2015 now... Honestly my buddy has precision turbos now and running e85 + standalone ecu and the car was so brutal with just cobb, dps,exhaust before hand its just too nuts right now lol I love being in the car and I feel like that dear life feeling he does would get me out of any rut of thinking I'm trading the car in when those thoughts start popping up.

Here he is *its so much louder now
Appreciate 0