European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

03-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #23
AlpWhite11
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kueks29
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3maniac20 View Post
I'm pretty sure it's way too early to know about the active sound. The new M3 isn't even close to production yet.
This is not right!

The M3 is nearly finished and is currently planned to build the car in September, so that the spring of 2013 to begin the extradition.
Highly doubt that. Look up this interview bimmerpost had with the US M manager where he says no next M3 until 2013 earliest. I'll take BMW's word over any rumor.

And If the M3 was that close to production the prototypes wouldn't have so much camo on still. It would for sure have much less camo and already showing in many colors if production is just 6 months away.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #24
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09BlkSapphire View Post
Highly doubt that. Look up this interview bimmerpost had with the US M manager where he says no next M3 until 2013 earliest. I'll take BMW's word over any rumor.

And If the M3 was that close to production the prototypes wouldn't have so much camo on still. It would for sure have much less camo and already showing in many colors if production is just 6 months away.
For what it's worth, kueks was at M headquarters in Garching looking at the F80 earlier in the week.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #25
AlpWhite11
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami
Quote:

For what it's worth, kueks was at M headquarters in Garching looking at the F80 earlier in the week.
I know. But I'm going to trust what I hear officially from BMW and what I see on the prototypes rather than a rumor which makes little sense and goes against what other sources (official and unofficial) say.

Just take one look at the current f80 prototypes stage will tell you production can't be 6 months away. It's way too early in development still. And consider what needs to happen in the next 6 months if production is really this September -- a concept F80 has to debut first at an autoshow, then production version has to debut at auto show, and then worldwide press drives. There's just the NY show next month and then no shows until the Fall. So It's easy to see how impossible this timing is.

Thanks to kueks for sharing but just think about this timing. Its just impossible.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #26
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Quote:
I know. But I'm going to trust what I hear officially from BMW and what I see on the prototypes rather than a rumor which makes little sense and goes against what other sources (official and unofficial) say.

Just take one look at the current f80 prototypes stage will tell you production can't be 6 months away. It's way too early in development still. And consider what needs to happen in the next 6 months if production is really this September -- a concept F80 has to debut first at an autoshow, then production version has to debut at auto show, and then worldwide press drives. There's just the NY show next month and then no shows until the Fall. So It's easy to see how impossible this timing is.

Thanks to kueks for sharing but just think about this timing. Its just impossible.
SCOTT26 has also said (in a recent post) that we should be hearing subtle 'winks and nods' so to speak about the new M3 in the coming weeks. and he also mentioned some autoshow in China at the end of April.

Matt Russell said no new M3 until 2013. For the North American market. What kueks is saying is 2013 spring availability (possibility European availability) of the new M3. Current rumors are that NA availability would trail after European delivery.

Still seems pretty darn compressed in terms of timelines. Ah, kueks, you can't just drop a little bomb and leave. How certain are you of this? More crumbs please... pretty please.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #27
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDriving View Post
SCOTT26 has also said (in a recent post) that we should be hearing subtle 'winks and nods' so to speak about the new M3 in the coming weeks. and he also mentioned some autoshow in China at the end of April.

Matt Russell said no new M3 until 2013. For the North American market. What kueks is saying is 2013 spring availability (possibility European availability) of the new M3. Current rumors are that NA availability would trail after European delivery.

Still seems pretty darn compressed in terms of timelines. Ah, kueks, you can't just drop a little bomb and leave. How certain are you of this? More crumbs please... pretty please.
Here's Scott's quote from 3/3:
Quote:
The 4er Coupe and M3 Sedan is launched (not in US model year, but actual year) 2013 and given the summer release will possibly show at the IAA that September.
With the 4er Coupe and Cabrio being months apart . The 4er Coupe will definitely be in the US by the close of 2013. Meaning that the 4er Cabrio and M3 Sedan will be available in the US by Spring 2014.
The Gran Coupe 4er is expected in mid-2014. With the M appearing later in2015.

M4 Coupe and Cabrio will arrive in late 2014(Europe) early 2015(US.etc) on the market when you take in launch cycles.
And here was my breakdown of that info:

Quote:
So US dates are as follows:

F80 - Spring 2014
F82 - Spring 2015
F83 - Spring 2015
F85/6 - Fall 2015

So if I wanted to skip the first production year of each model, that would add anywhere between 6-12 months on each of those dates, depending on how the MY cycles shake up by then. Still 3-4 years away from a purchasing decision...
Taken from this thread:

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=138
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #28
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

M3 F80: Spring 2013 (Geneva 2013)
M4 F82: Summer 2014 (Geneva 2014)
M4 F83: Spring 2015 (Geneva 2015)
M4 F85: Fall 2015 (Frankfurt 2015)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #29
flyingfishtuning
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Yes, M3 and M4 will also get Active Sound Design.
What makes you so sure that it will?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 12:27 PM   #30
E90Eric
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i LCI

Active Sound Design was designed to comply with European noise emission regulations. They simply can't make the cars as loud on the outside as they used to be and so they're trying to make up for that with this system. Regardless of the manufacturer all designers are going to have to get creative with ways to pipe sound into the interior while keeping exterior noise low.
      04-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #31
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Eric View Post
Active Sound Design was designed to comply with European noise emission regulations. They simply can't make the cars as loud on the outside as they used to be and so they're trying to make up for that with this system. Regardless of the manufacturer all designers are going to have to get creative with ways to pipe sound into the interior while keeping exterior noise low.
last time i checked, Ferrari and Lambo were in europe and they arent limiting the sound of their tunes; no one other than BMW and their green legions are making these decisions, there is NO regulation that says you need to pump fake audio into the car to recreate a reasonable tune. this is BS
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #32
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
last time i checked, Ferrari and Lambo were in europe and they arent limiting the sound of their tunes; no one other than BMW and their green legions are making these decisions, there is NO regulation that says you need to pump fake audio into the car to recreate a reasonable tune. this is BS
Agreed. Besides, BMW has already used a sound tube on previous models that at least gives true engine noise FROM THE ENGINE and not the speakers.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 06:46 AM   #33
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

I think BMW should take a lesson from the Active Sound in the new M5 and get rid of it now. People are already starting to deactivate it. It was a bad idea.
      04-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #34
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
I think BMW should take a lesson from the Active Sound in the new M5 and get rid of it now. People are already starting to deactivate it. It was a bad idea.
People are not starting to deactivate it. It was deactivated by one M5POST member just as an experiment to see how much difference it made.

It's not practical to deactivate it because doing so also deactivates the entire audio system.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #35
Hula-Hula
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
People are not starting to deactivate it. It was deactivated by one M5POST member just as an experiment to see how much difference it made.

It's not practical to deactivate it because doing so also deactivates the entire audio system.

It would be awesome to try out some blind tests so everybody could calm the fuck down and see the results that way.

I bet this technology will be great in the future.
      04-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #36
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I bet someone will figure out how to code it to off... and put a real exhaust on in it's place.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 04:42 AM   #37
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

Let's just be glad there is still real engine sound (maybe combined with speaker sound).

Some day in the future, when we all run on electric cars, there will be no more engine sound, just speaker sound.

But I pray not to see this day
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #38
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
M3 does not need Active Sound as the cabin is not as well sound insulated as the F10 that needed it.
Yeah I agree it will be a totally diff car than the M5 and a totally diff market.

People need to cool their jets. The car is gonna be fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #39
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post
Let's just be glad there is still real engine sound (maybe combined with speaker sound).

Some day in the future, when we all run on electric cars, there will be no more engine sound, just speaker sound.

But I pray not to see this day
For real,

and if the car didn't have this technology and the M5 was too quiet in the cabin everyone would complain that there's not enough engine sound inside the car. Although from the comparison video it was hard to tell much difference.

I doubt the M3 will get this and if it does I wouldn't care.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 01:18 AM   #40
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Eric View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
Agreed with m630. These are the same arguments used to say that "the government(s)" have forced BMW M to adopt FI engines. Again case and point is both Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini. BMW M's choices on engines are being dictated by obtaining higher profit margins through increased parts commonality. Sure there may be increased sales from no gas guzzler taxes and less fines from overall product line efficiency but these are not the driving factors.

Active sound is trying to be everything to everyone. Dead quiet when driving non-aggressively and having a nice sound level and sound quality when driving aggressively. There may also be an attempt to make the engine sound more NA and less FI. Nothing wrong with wanting this type of acoustic performance, its just beyond cheesy and fake as to how they chose to engineer this "solution".
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #41
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

Quote:
...Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini...
Please stop comparing BMW to these brands. They have very little in common, especially not the same customer profile.

Nobody uses a Ferrari to cruise to work in the morning, and back home in the evening. They have a lazy (and quiet) Mercedes diesel to commute to work. And they run their Ferrari only in the weekend.

These days BMW M cars have to do both. Provide the luxury and ease of a daily driver for commuting back and forth to work, and provide fun, sportyness and thrills in the weekend.
So compromises have to be made. But if active sound design helps to provide both, then that's absolutely OK with me.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #42
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Please stop comparing BMW to these brands. They have very little in common, especially not the same customer profile.

Nobody uses a Ferrari to cruise to work in the morning, and back home in the evening. They have a lazy (and quiet) Mercedes diesel to commute to work. And they run their Ferrari only in the weekend.

These days BMW M cars have to do both. Provide the luxury and ease of a daily driver for commuting back and forth to work, and provide fun, sportyness and thrills in the weekend.
So compromises have to be made. But if active sound design helps to provide both, then that's absolutely OK with me.
Last time I checked porsche has not done this to the panny or the 911 series which certainly are daily drivers and built in Germany!

And remember, no one NEEDS 560hp M5 to drive to work either, it's a choice, and it's not a choice to accept a fake soundtrack in place of a proper engine tune on a M which used to stand for Motorsport! And anyone that is ok with AS is a poseur/fanboy that would be crucifying MB, Audi, Porsche, Ferrari, or Lamborghini if they tried this fake sh*****!

Let's keep it real, if we can't criticize BMW when they are wrong then there is something wrong and we've become sheep.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #43
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

What's the reason for not being able to disable it? Sorry, but I agree this is cheesy and if you have to fake it, then would rather not have it.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #44
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
This comparison is not to compare the type of car, purpose, power level or any thing else other than to show some of the arguments about the heavy hand of governments "forcing" companies to do things is incorrect.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0