Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

02-21-2018, 06:18 PM   #1
Jbellah
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

skid plates

Today leaving a parking garage I barley scraped my lower front bumper on a curb going out. So annoying, my car isn't even lowered! I was wondering if there are any skid plates for this car? I had a grand sport vette and they made them for the vette.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 07:28 PM   #2
sdstatestud88
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 MW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbellah View Post
Today leaving a parking garage I barley scraped my lower front bumper on a curb going out. So annoying, my car isn't even lowered! I was wondering if there are any skid plates for this car? I had a grand sport vette and they made them for the vette.
Jbellah

https://www.vividracing.com/scrape-a...151866714.html

Great product, about 1 hour DIY if you have jacks or ramps....preferred
      02-21-2018, 07:41 PM   #3
Jbellah
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdstatestud88 View Post
Jbellah

https://www.vividracing.com/scrape-a...151866714.html

Great product, about 1 hour DIY if you have jacks or ramps....preferred
thanks exactly what I was looking for. Do you happen to have these on your car and if so any pictures?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 09:29 AM   #4
sdstatestud88
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Jbellah I do run these on my car, but i dont have any pictures. I will see if i have some time to take some.

Is there anything in particular you are looking for? They do not stick out past the OEM bumper or fender in any way. They fit perfect and outside of the center piece you can decide how far forward or back you want to mount them.
      02-22-2018, 03:27 PM   #5
Antartic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 2018

Wow these might be what I would buy- pics would help! How difficult is the install? Any permanent modification required? like drilling or cutting?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 09:58 AM   #6
sdstatestud88
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

randi41 Yes drilling is required...simple power drill on the bottom of the bumper. Nothing that will ruin the look of the car....Also i think there is lifetime warranty to replace if it scrapes down too much etc
      02-23-2018, 10:50 AM   #7
Nonopr01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Pictures please....
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 01:01 PM   #8
Zermatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Scrape Armor - Skid plate bumper bumper protection

I thought Id share my thoughts on my experience with this $450 Scrape Armor kit for the M3 and M4.

Its a polymer skid plate to reduce curb and ramp damage to the lower bumper.

As a company, Scrape Armor and its crew there in Bellevue, WA are awesome. They’ve been around for many years with a lot of history partnering with Chevy dealerships. From what they shared with me, they are now expanding into the European vehicle market and recently focusing on the BMW market; particularly to the “enthusiast crowd” like many of us here on this forum.

I have mixed feelings about it and somewhat regret purchasing this “in-the-moment” up-sell when I dropped off my F80 to get Xpel wrapped. My regret is centered on its high cost and the fact that while Ive had my share of scraping, Ive never sustained any great damage a bumper.

Personally, in retrospect, I think the money is better spent on a front bumper camera install (if curbs are mostly your concern) or as Ive heard others say, “install a lower lip and consider it a replaceable wear item”.

503 Motoring in Portland (who was doing my xpel wrap) didnt give me much time to make the decision because of my limited time in Portland and the lead time required to get the parts in time for install while they had the bumper off.

I requested quotes from a handful of authorized Scrape Armor installers in OR, WA and ID areas (none in my home state of MT). The well known and highly regarded shop in Bellevue, WA (Metropolitan Detailing) gave me an absurd $950 quote even after asking them to verify with a manager. 503 Motoring gave me a quote of $850 (3hrs of labor) but after questioning the 3hrs and pointing out the reduced labor (because they would have had the bumper off for Xpel wrap), they reduced the price to $749. So I agreed.

Since then, Ive heard back from Dave Smith Motors in ID who quoted me $650 installed (2hrs labor). I also later received a revised quote for $690 at Metropolitan Detail.

I gathered Scrape Armor specs 1.6hrs of shop labor but obviously, the install time is ultimately at the shops discretion and the 1.6hrs in only an approximate time for the F80 kit.

I followed up with Scrape Armor to get a better idea of the install for a home mechanic like myself and understood a couple of hours would be needed and emphasized the importance of lifting the car high enough to aid in the install (both in time and quality of install). Here is their PDF installation guide.

So in summary, if given the opportunity again, Id push this mod at the bottom of my F80 Projects list and do the install my myself. I think its awful (and borderline unethical) that some shops are charging upwards of $450 for an install. I was clearly suckered into believing that the install was both complex and time intensive.

My recommendation to others:
If you decide this kit is worthwhile, seriously considering doing it yourself especially given sdstatestud88 feedback on how easy of an DIY project it was. Otherwise, definitely call around and get various quotes while keeping in mind labor should be approx 1-1.5hrs.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-23-2018, 02:04 PM   #9
Jbellah
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdstatestud88 View Post
Jbellah I do run these on my car, but i dont have any pictures. I will see if i have some time to take some.

Is there anything in particular you are looking for? They do not stick out past the OEM bumper or fender in any way. They fit perfect and outside of the center piece you can decide how far forward or back you want to mount them.
I just wanted to see if you can tell its noticeable from the front or side view of the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 02:07 PM   #10
Jbellah
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zermatt View Post
I thought Id share my thoughts on my experience with this $450 Scrape Armor kit for the M3 and M4.

As a company, Scrape Armor and its crew there in Bellevue, WA are awesome. They’ve been around for many years with a lot of history partnering with Chevy dealerships. From what they shared with me, they are now expanding into the European vehicle market and recently focusing on the BMW market; particularly to the “enthusiast crowd” like many of us here on this forum.

I have mixed feelings about it and somewhat regret purchasing this “in-the-moment” up-sell when I dropped off my F80 to get Xpel wrapped. My regret is centered on its high cost and the fact that while Ive had my share of scraping, Ive never sustained any great damage a bumper.

Personally, in retrospect, I think the money is better spent on a front bumper camera install (if curbs are mostly your concern) or as Ive heard others say, “install a lower lip and consider it a replaceable wear item”.

503 Motoring in Portland (who was doing my xpel wrap) didnt give me much time to make the decision because of my limited time in Portland and the lead time required to get the parts in time for install while they had the bumper off.

I requested quotes from a handful of authorized Scrape Armor installers in OR, WA and ID areas (none in my home state of MT). The well known and highly regarded shop in Bellevue, WA (Metropolitan Detailing) gave me an absurd $950 quote even after asking them to verify with a manager. 503 Motoring gave me a quote of $850 (3hrs of labor) but after questioning the 3hrs and pointing out the reduced labor (because they would have had the bumper off for Xpel wrap), they reduced the price to $749. So I agreed.

Since then, Ive heard back from Dave Smith Motors in ID who quoted me $650 installed (2hrs labor). I also later received a revised quote for $690 at Metropolitan Detail.

I gathered Scrape Armor specs 1.6hrs of shop labor but obviously, the install time is ultimately at the shops discretion and the 1.6hrs in only an approximate time for the F80 kit.

I followed up with Scrape Armor to get a better idea of the install for a home mechanic like myself and understood a couple of hours would be needed and emphasized the importance of lifting the car high enough to aid in the install (both in time and quality of install). Here is their PDF installation guide.

So in summary, if given the opportunity again, Id push this mod at the bottom of my F80 Projects list and do the install my myself. I think its awful (and borderline unethical) that some shops are charging upwards of $450 for an install. I was clearly suckered into believing that the install was both complex and time intensive.

If you decide this kit is worthwhile, seriously considering doing it yourself especially given sdstatestud88 feedback on how easy of an DIY project it was. Otherwise, definitely call around and get various quotes while keeping in mind labor should be approx 1-1.5hrs.
great review. I wish as much as these cars are that it did come with front cameras since its so low. Im not used to it being so low so I have scraped the bottom twice. luckily its not really noticeable but to be its just annoying whats been done. I like to have skid plates just incase.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 03:35 PM   #11
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbellah View Post
great review. I wish as much as these cars are that it did come with front cameras since its so low. Im not used to it being so low so I have scraped the bottom twice. luckily its not really noticeable but to be its just annoying whats been done. I like to have skid plates just incase.
Funny because I felt the opposite, I thought my M4 looked like an X5M stock.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 04:34 PM   #12
Antartic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 2018

Quote:

Thanks for this awesome insight!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 01:35 AM   #13
nano10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Quote:

These look pretty cool, thanks for the share
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 11:51 PM   #14
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Any updates on these? Thinking about getting this for my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 07:07 AM   #15
JH M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP Azurite Black

For a less expesive option I used these. I cut them up and put them in places that are more likely to get scraped. Wasn't a fan of how visible the Scrape Armor was.

https://ind-distribution.com/product...e1cc0e1c&_ss=r
Attached Images

Appreciate 0