Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-12-2018, 09:30 PM   #89
jeru95
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4

Have it on my F150...regret not getting it on the M4...would never get another vehicle without it. Its a nice double check, especially when its raining and dark...
      01-12-2018, 10:44 PM   #90
BoxKing
I Rock Your Girls Box
Rep
Drives: M4 F82 ZCP AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeru95 View Post
Have it on my F150...regret not getting it on the M4...would never get another vehicle without it. Its a nice double check, especially when its raining and dark...
Only reason why I'd like it is when it's raining. Otherwise maybe it's a good standard feature for those over 60.

How did everyone get by without this... oh shit mirrors
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 10:45 PM   #91
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Can u disable it completely?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 11:58 PM   #92
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
Can u disable it completely?
Of course. Just push the button to disable the Blind Spot Feature, located underneath the headlamp switch (just above your left knee on a left-hand drive car).
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 02:39 PM   #93
ImGoingPlaces
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: AMG GTS

works for me about 80% of the time. I deff like it but i dont rely on it completely. Still look.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 07:33 PM   #94
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

I am pretty impressed with this feature and its very helpful other than the fact that it took away the storage space where the button is to activate or deactivate.
      01-17-2018, 07:23 PM   #95
NPuter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80

Hi - considering an F80 here.

Will the triangle light up preemptively if a car is approaching at a much greater rate of speed, but hasn't necessarily reached your blind spot yet?

My Audi will warn when this occurs - car approaching that is still fairly far away, but when the speed difference will make the lane change unsafe. My Mercedes does not do this, and generally doesn't work nearly as well all around.

I've come to like it a lot more than I thought I would with the Audi implementation. Would be a bit upsetting if BMW's system is a substantial step down.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 08:51 AM   #96
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPuter View Post

Will the triangle light up preemptively if a car is approaching at a much greater rate of speed, but hasn't necessarily reached your blind spot yet?

My Audi will warn when this occurs - car approaching that is still fairly far away, but when the speed difference will make the lane change unsafe. My Mercedes does not do this, and generally doesn't work nearly as well all around.

I've come to like it a lot more than I thought I would with the Audi implementation. Would be a bit upsetting if BMW's system is a substantial step down.
Don't think anyone here knows since M3 drivers would be the ones approaching another car at a high rate of speed and not the other way around
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18164.00
      01-18-2018, 11:41 AM   #97
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Don't think anyone here knows since M3 drivers would be the ones approaching another car at a high rate of speed and not the other way around
core difference between BMW and Audi drivers

#doucheshavefeelingstoo
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 12:40 PM   #98
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

Quote:

This is to help someone who doesn't want to check his rear view or side view mirror before turning?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 01:37 PM   #99
NPuter
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the "help" all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by backagain View Post
This is to help someone who doesn't want to check his rear view or side view mirror before turning?
No.
With Audi, the warning lights are very visible, so you can see them out of the corner of your eye, or with a very quick glance. When the light is lit, I don't have to consider checking my mirrors because I know a lane change likely isn't possible. It's when the light isn't lit, and I want to change lanes, that I then check the mirror.

Overall, it's just indicative how how well engineered Audi's blind spot monitors are. Rarely will I find the light lit and a lane change, without drastic maneuvers/acceleration, safely possible.
Additionally, the strength of Audi's system is clearly apparent to me driving it back-to-back with MB's all the time.

It would be nice to know how BMW's system compares, even though, of course, I'm not going to be completely relying on the system. From what I gather from this thread, it's not very good. Not a deal breaker, obviously, just looking for additional insight.
Appreciate 2
      01-18-2018, 02:19 PM   #100
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:

Quote:
No.
With Audi, the warning lights are very visible, so you can see them out of the corner of your eye, or with a very quick glance. When the light is lit, I don't have to consider checking my mirrors because I know a lane change likely isn't possible. It's when the light isn't lit, and I want to change lanes, that I then check the mirror.

Overall, it's just indicative how how well engineered Audi's blind spot monitors are. Rarely will I find the light lit and a lane change, without drastic maneuvers/acceleration, safely possible.
Additionally, the strength of Audi's system is clearly apparent to me driving it back-to-back with MB's all the time.

It would be nice to know how BMW's system compares, even though, of course, I'm not going to be completely relying on the system. From what I gather from this thread, it's not very good. Not a deal breaker, obviously, just looking for additional insight.
Audi's version is easier to see and I much preferred it in my S4 to my M4. It's better than nothing as a safety check in the M4 but it doesn't catch your eye like it did in my S4. Location of light not as good and not as bright in the M4. I used it first to decide whether it was worth turning my head (or preemptively figuring out to just forget trying to change lanes) in the Audi. I check the mirrors and turn my head and then glance at it in my M4.
      01-18-2018, 04:07 PM   #101
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

Quote:

No.

If you are an alert driver, and check mirrors before lane changes, there would be no issue with how BMW implemented the blind spot detection. If you use the blinkers, the steering wheel will even vibrate if there is a car in the blind spot.

If you don't want to do any of that, the car is not built for your driving style.
Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC496.00
      01-19-2018, 05:34 PM   #102
NPuter
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Audi's version is easier to see and I much preferred it in my S4 to my M4. It's better than nothing as a safety check in the M4 but it doesn't catch your eye like it did in my S4. Location of light not as good and not as bright in the M4. I used it first to decide whether it was worth turning my head (or preemptively figuring out to just forget trying to change lanes) in the Audi. I check the mirrors and turn my head and then glance at it in my M4.
Thanks! I have an S5, so your response is definitely very helpful

Quote:
If you are an alert driver, and check mirrors before lane changes, there would be no issue with how BMW implemented the blind spot detection. If you use the blinkers, the steering wheel will even vibrate if there is a car in the blind spot.

If you don't want to do any of that, the car is not built for your driving style.
Apparently you didn't read my response. I don't use the blind spot monitors as a substitute for checking the mirrors. Rather, if I see it lit in the Audi out of the corner of my eye, I can pretty much forget about changing lanes, like Rick mentioned. It's if the light is not lit that I then check mirrors/pretend the system doesn't exist.

All in saying is Audi has it pretty much perfectly engineered imo. I was just wondering how BMW's compares. It's now clear to me that it doesn't. Is that a big deal? Nope.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2018, 06:10 PM   #103
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Apparently you didn't read my response. I don't use the blind spot monitors as a substitute for checking the mirrors. Rather, if I see it lit in the Audi out of the corner of my eye, I can pretty much forget about changing lanes, like Rick mentioned. It's if the light is not lit that I then check mirrors/pretend the system doesn't exist.

All in saying is Audi has it pretty much perfectly engineered imo. I was just wondering how BMW's compares. It's now clear to me that it doesn't. Is that a big deal? Nope.
That's about how I think of it. I really pretty much don't use/trust them at all. I hardly even notice them when they are lit. I think a better option is getting the convex European mirrors that totally eliminate the blind spot. I don't know why BMW thinks they need a technology solution when there is a much more simple physical solution. Once you get used to trusting the convex euro mirrors they are amazing and you CAN use them without turning around and looking because there is not more blind spot.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 06:13 PM   #104
Spike Spiegel
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Imprezza, '19 Audi RS 3
Location: Currently dragging myself toward my masters degree.

Quote:
Thanks! I have an S5, so your response is definitely very helpful

Yea I have come to realize that I also prefer Audi's implementation. The surface area of the light or location of it and the brightness definitely are more eye catching to me which to me, makes it a more effective solution to me. If we're talking about strictly implementation, Acura might have everyone beat. Implementing it into the pillar is pretty slick and is even closer to your line of vision when driving. http://image.trucktrend.com/f/759135...nformation.jpg

"If you are an alert driver, and check mirrors before lane changes, there would be no issue with how BMW implemented the blind spot detection. If you use the blinkers, the steering wheel will even vibrate if there is a car in the blind spot."

I mean everyone should be an alert driver and companies like BMW, Audi,Lexus, etc all make some good driving aides. Doesn't mean that some aren't implemented better than others. And that doesn't make others an issue in terms of usefulness when compared to the others that might have a better setup in terms of placement.
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42992.00
      01-27-2018, 05:48 PM   #105
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

As the name of the feature suggests the yellow triangle in the mirror lights up only if there is a car in the blind spot? Meaning if a car is on the next lane but not on your blind spot the feature does not alert you?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 07:19 PM   #106
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Wait...we have turn signals?
Appreciate 2
      01-28-2018, 01:09 PM   #107
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

OP. I have BSM on my M3 and don't have it on my M4. To me, it is a worthless option and I would never rely on it or pay for it if I was going a custom build. My M3 was a lot car hence why it has BSM and the M4 was a custom build hence why it does not have BSM.
      01-28-2018, 06:27 PM   #108
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
As the name of the feature suggests the yellow triangle in the mirror lights up only if there is a car in the blind spot? Meaning if a car is on the next lane but not on your blind spot the feature does not alert you?
Yes, the behavior you described is correct. If there is a car in either the lane to the left or right, as the traffic ebbs and flows and the car next to you moves forward or backward, you can see the triangle come on and go off as they move into and out of your blind spot.

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 08:28 PM   #109
theoluv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ALpine White M3

Yes, activates when other cars are approaching faster than you are traveling
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 12:01 PM   #110
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoluv View Post
Yes, activates when other cars are approaching faster than you are traveling
The speed of a car in the next lane has no bearing on whether the triangle lights up or not. Either the car is in your blind spot or it isn't. The triangle lights up when a car is in the defined area (blind spot) and goes off when it isn't.

Appreciate 0