Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-01-2017, 06:56 PM   #1
NOLATom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Sad day...2nd failure since Dinan Stage 3 installation....

This is the second time that the exact same thing happened since I had the Dinan Stage 3 installed a couple of months ago. The first time I went to track day after the install and I was on the straightaway in 3rd (Sport + and in Auto) and when it got to about 7k RPM, it seemed like it did not shift fast enough and then went into limp mode. Diagnostics said cylinder 1 and 6 misfires. Changed plugs with the car having about 6,000 miles on it at the time.

About 250 miles later, at the track again to see if the new plugs would fix the problem and the same thing happened. On my first run of the day, about my 7th lap, it sat around 7k RPM for 4-5 seconds like it was stuck in 3rd and then went into limp mode. This time it was cylinder 4 and 5. Cylinder 5, the ceramic cracked at the base and slid down the plug.

So, please tell me I am not the only one having this issue and what can be done to correct it?

Update April 14th, 2018...... Gotmy car back to the track Thursday and I think it’s pretty clear it is the Dinan tune causing the issue. Second lap in and on the straight away, it got up to about 100mph and and lingered at 7krpm without shifting. By the time I made the decision to manual shift it, it misfired and went into limp mode. That was with wide open throttle and plenty of room to run on a straightaway. I pulled off and restarted the car and the closed cleared. Then removed the tune and went back to stock. The next session I ran it in manual and pushed it as hard as I could to try to replicate the misfire. No issues. The next session, I ran it in auto without the tune and pushed it as hard as I could and agian there were no misfires. It also shifted fine in auto without the tune.

It’s clear the tune is causing it not to shift. This is the third time at the track since the tune and the third time it has happened. I’m going to contact Dinan again, but I’ll just say this here and now. There will be zero resolution from them. They say they’ve never heard of it happening to anyone else, etc., etc.

Last edited by NOLATom; 04-14-2018 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: Update April 14th 2018
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2017, 08:46 PM   #2
bracer
Mr Bill
Rep
Drives: GLC63

Nope. Not the only one. What fuel are you running at the track?

Mine just threw another check engine light today with a bunch of wastegate codes. Doesn't do it with the stage III unplugged.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 09:35 PM   #3
NOLATom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackey View Post
Nope. Not the only one. What fuel are you running at the track?

Mine just threw another check engine light today with a bunch of wastegate codes. Doesn't do it with the stage III unplugged.
93. The only difference is on the street I’m using Shell, which has 10% ethanol, but at the track the gas is ethanol free, so not sure that had anything to do with it. I did fill up when I got to the track this time and last time I showed up to the track on a full tank and filled up midday and it happened later. Not sure if there is a correlation or not, but did think about it.

Prior to the tune, I never had this happen at the track.

Have you had any response from Dinan yet?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 09:53 PM   #4
schnell1982
Captain
Rep
Drives: FAST

What brand spark plugs are you installing and what is the torque spec you are tightening at ?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 09:53 PM   #5
bracer
Mr Bill
Rep

I'm "working" on it for mine. It's been in twice, and going back a third time next week. They are still trying to figure it out. I haven't tracked mine with the stage 3 installed yet, last time I went it was bypassed. I'm a bit worried too at this point.

My guess is this tune is on the edge of something (timing, vanos, or something) and when it gets pushed it has some flaws. Funny since Dinan is conservative and the tune really doesn't make that much power.

I have to admit I'm temped to switch to a JB4 or Bootmod3 and take my chances with the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 09:56 PM   #6
NOLATom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell1982 View Post
What brand spark plugs are you installing and what is the torque spec you are tightening at ?
The first misfire was with the original OEM plugs. They were all replaced with OEM plugs and misfired again, but I did not ask what they torqued it to. I will ask the tech next time I talk to him.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 10:02 PM   #7
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
Just curious, when you had the wastegate codes, did the car run loud, as if during cold start (or worse)?
      12-01-2017, 10:03 PM   #8
brianplee
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

I'm really sorry to hear about the problems. Thankfully, I have not had any issues with my Stage 3 at more than a dozen track days. I'm running on 91 oct Chevron. I hope you get the issue resolved.

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 10:03 PM   #9
NOLATom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm "working" on it for mine. It's been in twice, and going back a third time next week. They are still trying to figure it out. I haven't tracked mine with the stage 3 installed yet, last time I went it was bypassed. I'm a bit worried too at this point.

My guess is this tune is on the edge of something (timing, vanos, or something) and when it gets pushed it has some flaws. Funny since Dinan is conservative and the tune really doesn't make that much power.

I have to admit I'm temped to switch to a JB4 or Bootmod3 and take my chances with the warranty.
I’m wondering if it has to do with the shift not occurring fast enough cause both times it occured, it was like the car got to 7K and hung there for 4-5 seconds before the event. The question is, do they do anything with the signals to the transmission?

The thought of going to Bootmod3 definitely crossed my mind. When I thought about the fact that the ceramic could have came off and what that would have cost me, I started thinking this tune wasn’t worth it.

The other thing is that when accelerating at about 60-70% throttle, sometimes it does a mild shudder for about 2K RPM. My wife even felt it and asked what was that, so I know I’m not dreaming this.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 10:25 PM   #10
schnell1982
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLATom View Post
The first misfire was with the original OEM plugs. They were all replaced with OEM plugs and misfired again, but I did not ask what they torqued it to. I will ask the tech next time I talk to him.
If it was at the dealer then I assume it was torqued correct.
Just was curious.
Has anyone done a diagnostic on the fault codes other then the plugs ?
I do know that there are a few stock intercoolers that have cracked on tuned and non-tuned S55's and it will give misfire codes but what is happening is coolant is getting into the cylinders and creating the misfire.
Hope you get your issue resolved
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 10:51 PM   #11
bracer
Mr Bill
Rep

Do you have access to ISTA+?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 11:00 PM   #12
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
Quote:
wastegate errors and plausibility errors. looks familiar.
      12-02-2017, 11:06 AM   #13
Silenus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

I'm a DINAN/BMW dealer tech. I highly recommend under torquing those plugs to 18-20nm, and not the advertised 23nm on the plug. Your tech may not like hearing this, but they are a very delicate spark plug. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 11:13 AM   #14
NOLATom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silenus View Post
I'm a DINAN/BMW dealer tech. I highly recommend under torquing those plugs to 18-20nm, and not the advertised 23nm on the plug. Your tech may not like hearing this, but they are a very delicate spark plug. Good luck.
Thanks, I will pass that on to him. Unfortunately, that still doesn’t explain the first set of misfires, plus the misfire this time of the plug that didn’t have damage.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 11:38 AM   #15
Silenus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I will pass that on to him. Unfortunately, that still doesn’t explain the first set of misfires, plus the misfire this time of the plug that didn’t have damage.
Was the ceramic cracked after the first misfire?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 12:23 PM   #16
NOLATom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Was the ceramic cracked after the first misfire?
No, the original plugs had no cracks that I saw and they looked pretty good when the tech showed me. They were in there for misfires on 1 and 6. After plug replacement, broken ceramic on 5, but the plug on 4 was fine.

So, since Dinan install, original plugs misfired, then brand spanking new plugs misfired on different cylinders. This for me is telling me it’s not a plug issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 01:45 PM   #17
Silenus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No, the original plugs had no cracks that I saw and they looked pretty good when the tech showed me. They were in there for misfires on 1 and 6. After plug replacement, broken ceramic on 5, but the plug on 4 was fine.

So, since Dinan install, original plugs misfired, then brand spanking new plugs misfired on different cylinders. This for me is telling me it’s not a plug issue.
I think the original plugs failed, which I've seen on stock low mile F8x cars. The 2nd time was due to the plugs being overtorqued. I would replace the plugs and swap the coils for further diagnosis.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 03:16 PM   #18
LongBeachDinanFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Just take it back to your Dinan dealer and let them sort it out for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 06:45 PM   #19
NOLATom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBeachDinanFan View Post
Just take it back to your Dinan dealer and let them sort it out for you.
Would love to because I have already spent quite a bit on this, but thet are a 5.5 hour drive from me in Houston and with the way it was running, I would have had to trailer it there.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 06:47 PM   #20
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Quote:
Would love to because I have already spent quite a bit on this, but thet are a 5.5 hour drive from me in Houston and with the way it was running, I would have had to trailer it there.
Don't you have roadside assistance?

That would probably cover it.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 07:46 PM   #21
schnell1982
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The spark plugs are supposed to be 1 time use plugs due to the crush washer and the torque spec needed to put the plug into the correct firing positon in the cylinder.
So they should not be taken out and re-torqued due to changing the positon correct ?
Or are you saying to change the initial torque spec based on what you are seeing at the dealer ?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 07:50 PM   #22
schnell1982
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The waste gate codes are interesting.
Have you run the test plan thru ISTA for that or are you just showing a screen shot ?
The Charging Pressure After run fault code more then likely is software generated.
I believe Dinan can correct that thru a software revision.
I wonder if the person installing your harness cleaned the connection harness as stated in the installation guide.
As silly as that step may seem to some, it is pretty important and can correct random communication issues.
The Dinantronics comes with a solution spray intended for the harness contacts.
Appreciate 0