GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-23-2014, 01:22 PM   #23
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money2536 View Post
I have received a rather strong unwanted vibe on the forum that I never noticed when I had a photo of my M3 in my signature.

It seems the vast majority of the BMW crowd is very proud and relunctant to admit other cars exist. Even when those cars are new BMWs.
I openly display my association with the dreaded brand and dirty P-word in my sig, but I have never felt this forum not wanting my input. I think generally people are open to different perspectives. Granted there are some illogical voices, like any forum; I am officially the 'advocate' for PCA regarding all GT models, but I don't feel I have to advocate anything in these forums as there are too many P-stuff advocates already

However, being watchful of reviews and analyses are helpful. There are no 'best' cars, best is a personal definition. What I look for in the reviews is consistency in praises and criticisms, if I can gather that from the reviews, I'll decide what's best for me for today.

For example, the important items to me are the brakes, cornering balance, seats, driving position and track performance from a DE perspective. If I read consistent reviews about how the brakes don't quite cut it, the car is off my list, thankfully the F8x got consistently good marks there. The seating position and the seats are consistently getting good marks too. As for quality, time will tell. No reviewer mentioned anything about cooling not being sufficient for the engine, diff or transmission, so I take that as positive too.

The only area that I am not convinced as of yet is the cornering balance. I don't know if the car is too lose in the backend or most of the reviewers don't seem to know how to drive cleanly smoothly. Generally reviewers are trying to showoff for cameras and I don't think they had the chance to really drive the car on track yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 01:43 PM   #24
Velon
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M5 f90

Thank you Myzmak for this post. Hopefully a eyeopener for many.

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 02:00 PM   #25
Matteus
Monkey Tennis Player
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Merc AMG C63s Cabriolet

It is indeed a great post and one for which I have many sympathies - Indeed I agree with the vast majority of you posts - witty, and inciteful. However, I can''t help but wonder whether you simply find the 'idiocy' of others just too annoying, and life could be more relaxing if you didn't....?
Just thinking of you my friend ..........
2012 BMW E92 M3
2008 BMW 135iM Coupe, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX (Prodrive upgrade), 1998 Subaru Impreza WRX
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 02:05 PM   #26
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post

...and thus the Church of the F8X has its first ordained priest.

In 7 years, you can be in charge of excommunicating anyone who questions the ONE TRUE ///M CAR or dares to heretically suggest that the false-prophet 6th Gen M3 could ever compete.
I say unto thee, that nary a month shall pass before the Teutonic Motor Gods shall open the heavens and release into the Welt and into my loving hands their most Perfect Creation. I will accept the One True ///M reverently, eagerly and faithfully (after completing my obligatory factory tour, collecting my souvenir t-shirt and anointing myself with wiener schnitzel and beer of course).

Fear not most faithful one, that 7 years hence I will zealously patrol these forums in order to root out any hints of blasphemy and to leave my little troll turds everywhere the next ///M's name is invoked. I shall fearlessly put to the sword (or at least be an old cantankerous killjoy) to any wayward souls and banished children of Bavaria who might for a minute entertain the thought of purchasing the blasphemous next 4-banger ///M.

The F80/F82 will not Fade away.
      05-23-2014, 02:11 PM   #27
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4TW View Post
I say unto thee, that nary a month shall pass before the Teutonic Motor Gods shall open the heavens and release into the Welt and into my loving hands their most Perfect Creation. I will accept the One True ///M reverently, eagerly and faithfully (after completing my obligatory factory tour, collecting my souvenir t-shirt and anointing myself with wiener schnitzel and beer of course).

Fear not most faithful one, that 7 years hence I will zealously patrol these forums in order to root out any hints of blasphemy and to leave my little troll turds everywhere the next ///M's name is invoked. I shall fearlessly put to the sword (or at least be an old cantankerous killjoy) to any wayward souls and banished children of Bavaria who might for a minute entertain the thought of purchasing the blasphemous next 4-banger ///M.

The F80/F82 will not Fade away.
Amen Brother!

Testify!

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 02:12 PM   #28
E36toF30
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT

Great post!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 02:14 PM   #29
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteus View Post
It is indeed a great post and one for which I have many sympathies - Indeed I agree with the vast majority of you posts - witty, and inciteful. However, I can''t help but wonder whether you simply find the 'idiocy' of others just too annoying, and life could be more relaxing if you didn't....?
Just thinking of you my friend ..........
nah.

In a few weeks people here will start getting their cars and the "I have never driven an F80 but I have very strong views about it" crowd will get drowned out by the whoops and hollers of the new owners.

I'd mostly just be annoyed if anyone were turned off this car based on reading reactions to some reviews. (Not too personally offended as I'll, you know, drive the thing and decide for myself (gasp! shock! horror!) but it would be annoying from a principled perspective)
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 03:25 PM   #30
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
I love this thread. It neatly summarizes what everyone who has owned E92's and E46's for years knows. It's the new buyer's remorse crowd, plus trolls, that don't remember.

I still can't understand why people frequent the forum of something they don't like. I suppose antagonism brings them pleasure. Weird.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #31
BMWJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

You have to remind yourself it's just an internet forum - people like to complain and everyone has an opinion and thinks they are an expert. In general there's more positive stuff said on this forum than many other sites or comment sections on blogs etc. on the web.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 04:00 PM   #32
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Sedan_Clan endorses this thread.

Mark my words. This BMW will overcome the sound debate, perform like a charm, the ZCP will come out and offer another blow to the E9X crowd's virtuous/sonorous performance claims (..I'm a 4x E9X'er, I'm allowed to say these things ), and it will go down as the next 'last real ///M3' just like ALL of it's successors.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #33
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post

Mark my words. This BMW will overcome the sound debate, perform like a charm, the ZCP will come out and offer another blow to the E9X crowd's virtuous/sonorous performance claims (..I'm a 4x E9X'er, I'm allowed to say these things ), and it will go down as the next 'last real ///M3' just like ALL of it's successors.
If @M4TW is the first official clergy of the F80 faith, you can be its first official politician.

"My name is @Sedan_Clan and I approve this message".

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 04:26 PM   #34
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:

Talking about yourself in the 3rd person gets a bit worrying
      05-23-2014, 04:28 PM   #35
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterM4 View Post
LOL! 3rd person is all the rave on the forums says Sedan_Clan.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 04:30 PM   #36
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
LOL! 3rd person is all the rave on the forums says Sedan_Clan.
Hehe.
      05-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #37
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

History does have a tendency to repeat itself and the E90 was certainly not without controversy. However, subsequent to the initial reviews, it won probably 95% of all comparos, including some against the contemporaneous 911, 911TT, and GTR.

The competition is clearly stronger now, with other companies targeting the E90 and E46 as benchmarks (Caddy/GM) and some publications (eg. C&D ) claiming the base E90 was superior to the E90. Let's see if history repeats itself!
Appreciate 1
WWM3968.00
      05-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #38
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterM4 View Post
Actually, the use of "my" and "I'm" mean it is in the first person.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 04:50 PM   #39
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Actually, the use of "my" and "I'm" mean it is in the first person.
Hahaha, Greg you just push Sedan to over do it! Soon we will only be writing in the third just to please the other bloated ego on this forum.

Sorry, Clan, you just are as bad as I!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 05:19 PM   #40
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Hahaha, Greg you just push Sedan to over do it! Soon we will only be writing in the third just to please the other bloated ego on this forum.

Sorry, Clan, you just are as bad as I!

Heyyyyyyyyyyy! Sedan_Clan's ego isn't that bloated. He's just confident.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 05:21 PM   #41
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Heyyyyyyyyyyy! Sedan_Clan's ego isn't that bloated. He's just confident.
Yes, and the clan worships the Clan for that.

worshiping goes with sky, so this is the on topic post of the day from me.
Just keeping my promise, dear mods.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 05:27 PM   #42
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Yes, and the clan worships the Clan for that.

worshiping goes with sky, so this is the on topic post of the day from me.
Just keeping my promise, dear mods.

Well I've also heard that clanned clans worship the clans of other clans, and that the clandestine activities of certain clans aren't clanly enough for other clans. And no, the sky isn't falling (...back on topic), but my trousers are....

....as soon as I get home.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 05:29 PM   #43
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Well I've also heard that clanned clans worship the clans of other clans, and that the clandestine activities of certain clans aren't clanly enough for other clans.
no way for me to get that, sorry. You win!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 05:31 PM   #44
Bonovox
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

Yep, I've had a number of BMW's and recently an M5, but have never frequented this forum until I decided to buy an M4 and wanted to get perspective on various options. But frankly, I'm really kind of shocked and put off by the nitpicking. Almost from a sociological viewpoint, I'm really curious where all the schadenfreude comes from.

BMW clearly is not a stupid company. This car is aimed at a particular market; that market has evolved and it will probably evolve further ...just like previous generation M3's were actually a bit ahead of the market at first.

I'm the market. The M5 is too big for me and not nimble enough. I don't; need to be able to go faster between 120 and 150 mph -- that'll happen a few times, maybe. I like the sporty look of the coupe, but I do need to be able to throw my bike or golf clubs in the trunk occasionally. (The 911 and F Type comparison is a joke ... and a complement imho). I've got 4 people in my family and luckily the 2 women are under 5'2". They'll fit just fine in the M4, but not in those other two cars. have you ever looked at the trunk space on the Jag???

I like to drive fast and my daily drive is on narrow, curved roads -- not unlike the tests in Portugal. But,heck, taking my wife downtown for a night out on Saturday night,, the ability to put it in comfort mode and not be challenged by the car is awesome.