Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

04-01-2015, 06:26 AM   #23
Geordie33
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3: F80, AW, DCT, CCB, MPE

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Groove safety risk

Gentelemen, one wheel I had damage of at least 2mm deep groove. Let's assume the wall thickness on the barrel is 5mm. I thing this is a significant weakening of the rim and even worse a sharp stress raiser. BTW .....BMW asked that my damaged wheel be shipped back to them for engineering analysis.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 07:09 AM   #24
MWcoupe
24k GOLD
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M4

Petition to have free 20" wheels upgrade for all CCB owners
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 07:44 AM   #25
Geordie33
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Strongly agree
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 10:17 AM   #26
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

if BMW makes 20" wheels a requirement for CCB's, I'm going to have to pass on them. 20" wheels just aren't for me. there must be another solution. Maybe a little plastic piece at the bottom of the caliper that gets real close to the barrel (almost like a scraper)? just pulling things out of my ass.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 10:37 AM   #27
MatthewDavid
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [0.00]
2012 E92 M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
I haven't inspected yet, but does anyone know if adding a spacer, even a small one, increases wheel to caliper clearance and does that address the issue in this thread?
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2015, 10:43 AM   #28
MatthewDavid
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [0.00]
2012 E92 M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
Wait... what other horror stories? I agree this is a design issue, but BMW appears to be assessing (?) Has anyone confirmed it's a safety concern?

The only other complaints I've seen about CCBs are 1) hearsay arguments about Porsche owners from non-Porsche owners 2) some squeaking and 3) modestly and temporarily diminished responsiveness in heavy rain or after exiting a car wash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM4ZING View Post
Keep up updated. I am awaiting delivery of my M4 with CCB option and have read too many horror stories
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 01:23 PM   #29
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Not just a CCB problem, as there are reports, including mine, of the same thing happening on non-CCB cars with 18 inch wheels. I like the caliper idea, maybe a couple of pieces of duct tape to see if it helps, then a permanent fix? The alternative would seem to be 19 inch wheels on non-CCB cars, and 20 inchers on the CCB cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 07:09 PM   #30
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
Not just a CCB problem, as there are reports, including mine, of the same thing happening on non-CCB cars with 18 inch wheels. I like the caliper idea, maybe a couple of pieces of duct tape to see if it helps, then a permanent fix? The alternative would seem to be 19 inch wheels on non-CCB cars, and 20 inchers on the CCB cars.
How about re-designed wheels altogether - I think the MORR 19's have 3-6mm more clearance than the BMW OEM 19's; could be wrong but I think I saw that in one of the MORR wheel/tire threads.

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 07:54 PM   #31
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

That's correct. 6-8mm clearance I believe. More than the size of your average pebble. I don't want 20's either, they do absolutely nothing for performance and add unnecessary weight. But if that's what BMW comes up with for a fix, I'll take it. I was somewhat forced to take the CCB's as a part of the amazing Canada euro delivery experience this year and tried to negotiate them out. They couldn't do it and over a couple of weeks I accepted the fact and was actually quite excited to be getting them. And then this thread popped up. I was hoping they didn't come with complications (beyond what I've researched which I was more than prepared to accept) but this issue has deeper implications IMO.

Thanks for the updates Geordie, appreciated.
      04-01-2015, 08:09 PM   #32
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
if BMW makes 20" wheels a requirement for CCB's, I'm going to have to pass on them. 20" wheels just aren't for me. there must be another solution. Maybe a little plastic piece at the bottom of the caliper that gets real close to the barrel (almost like a scraper)? just pulling things out of my ass.
Good thought but in our climate (I'm assuming you get the same crappy, ultra freezing weather I do with lots of ice potential besides pebbles) I don't know that a fix like that would be able to take it. The last thing I'd want is stress on the calipers, even the least little bit, under extreme weather conditions. In lieu of a 20" wheel, the fix could simply be a re-engineered 19 in the manner that Morr designed their VS52.

I am surprised that BMW and Brembo didn't collaborate on this before it became an issue. You'd think something like this would've been caught in pre-production testing??? Interested and invested as to how this turns out.
      04-01-2015, 08:18 PM   #33
gogoevo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Porsche 997.2 TTS

20" are not for me, either. I just installed 19" HRE R101's tonight, and the clearance is much better. I can get a finger in there now, whereas the OE wheels you would be lucky to get a couple of dimes in there.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 10:46 AM   #34
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark's M View Post
Good thought but in our climate (I'm assuming you get the same crappy, ultra freezing weather I do with lots of ice potential besides pebbles) I don't know that a fix like that would be able to take it. The last thing I'd want is stress on the calipers, even the least little bit, under extreme weather conditions. In lieu of a 20" wheel, the fix could simply be a re-engineered 19 in the manner that Morr designed their VS52.

I am surprised that BMW and Brembo didn't collaborate on this before it became an issue. You'd think something like this would've been caught in pre-production testing??? Interested and invested as to how this turns out.
I think you underestimate the immense amount of stress that calipers are put through in order to stop these cars so aggressively. having taken the Brembo calipers on and off many times in my e92, I can tell you that these things are extremely stout, and for an obvious and good reason.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 02:38 PM   #35
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I think you underestimate the immense amount of stress that calipers are put through in order to stop these cars so aggressively. having taken the Brembo calipers on and off many times in my e92, I can tell you that these things are extremely stout, and for an obvious and good reason.
Good to know, and thanks. One less thing to worry about.
      04-05-2015, 06:04 PM   #36
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

OP I just checked my wheels. I have the same issue. So I spent 8k for an option that's damaging my wheels. Pathetic. I plan on bringing this up to BMW immediately. I just bought the car and I don't have 8k laying around to buy a set of HREs
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 10:51 PM   #37
Geordie33
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
I can't believe that it took so long to get this thread running on this subject. This is a design flaw and if you look at the benchmark no one has this minimal amount of clearance. Seriously I wonder if M Division Vice President Engneering Albert Biermann jumped to Hyundai before he was pushed?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 08:22 AM   #38
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie33 View Post
I can't believe that it took so long to get this thread running on this subject. This is a design flaw and if you look at the benchmark no one has this minimal amount of clearance. Seriously I wonder if M Division Vice President Engneering Albert Biermann jumped to Hyundai before he was pushed?
So do we have actual evidence that BMW is working on this ? Short of redesigning the calipers (I seriously doubt they would do this) up-sizing the wheels is the only cost effective option for them. Cost-effective as in they would pass the cost directly onto the consumer with 2016+ cars. As someone mentioned, they could also redesign the wheel

Quote:
Currently this issue is with M Division, I suggest all of you with issues push for a resolution also. For me it's a clear recall.......not fit for function normal road driving. I heard 2 of my 4 issues happen its 20-30mph driving.
BTW I am in the Automotive business at a professional engineering level. I know what this looks like form the OEM standpoint. I won't let this one go. Maybe later I will ask to collect all VIN numbers effected and expedite thru legal.
Yes, please keep us updated and let us know if there is something we can do to help.

Last edited by absoluteis350; 04-06-2015 at 08:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 09:55 AM   #39
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Shows Brake Caliper damage at lower edge you can see where the stone goes into the ~5mm gap and get forced thru causing the damage to the wheel at the same time.
Have they done anything about the Caliper Damage?

I'm trying to plan my attack on BMW lol. 8,500 dollar option...I'm definitely not letting this be.

I'll PM you my VIN when I go outside for lunch.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 06:42 PM   #40
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSanto View Post
OP I just checked my wheels. I have the same issue. So I spent 8k for an option that's damaging my wheels. Pathetic. I plan on bringing this up to BMW immediately. I just bought the car and I don't have 8k laying around to buy a set of HREs
more cases? damn, this is really damping my desire for CCB's. I hope they can find an appropriate solution to this that doesn't require 20" wheels. maybe the ZCP wheels? I'm sure that's optimistic.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 08:22 AM   #41
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
more cases? damn, this is really damping my desire for CCB's. I hope they can find an appropriate solution to this that doesn't require 20" wheels. maybe the ZCP wheels? I'm sure that's optimistic.
Believe me I'm not happy. I loved the CCB and said they were worth every penny up until this happened.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2015, 09:42 AM   #42
Geordie33
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Need to hear from more who found this issue. I am promised a response by M division in 2 weeks from now (I am on an Asian business trip). I don't expect to be fobbed off as I have a solid dealer allie in this one. More pictures of your damaged rims is needed, and YES please take to your dealer the more reported cases the higher this issue will spike on the in filed warranty data....seriously this is how it works. It's PPM problems per million as a metric. We only need 25+ cases and it's straight I number one M product warranty as the CCB are a limited option. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 2
      04-07-2015, 08:40 PM   #43
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Need to hear from more who found this issue. I am promised a response by M division in 2 weeks from now (I am on an Asian business trip). I don't expect to be fobbed off as I have a solid dealer allie in this one. More pictures of your damaged rims is needed, and YES please take to your dealer the more reported cases the higher this issue will spike on the in filed warranty data....seriously this is how it works. It's PPM problems per million as a metric. We only need 25+ cases and it's straight I number one M product warranty as the CCB are a limited option. Thanks in advance.
You should send a note to one of the Moderators asking that this thread 1) be made into a "CCB problem/Issue" thread with the potential for safety concerns and 2) that it be moved from this sub-forum to the general forum and then "stickied" so that it doesn't disappear from the front page.

There are a lot more CCB owners out there that may not be interested in wheels/tires and therefore don't look here. And probably a lot more on order. There are a group of Canadians going to the Welt in June to pick up 10 M3's/4's. All of them will be equipped with CCB's, mine included. I WANT these brakes but not at the expense of having to deal with this sort of issue. I truly hope BMW will come up with a solution and knowing BMW as I do, I'm confident they will.
      04-08-2015, 12:34 AM   #44
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark's M View Post
You should send a note to one of the Moderators asking that this thread 1) be made into a "CCB problem/Issue" thread with the potential for safety concerns and 2) that it be moved from this sub-forum to the general forum and then "stickied" so that it doesn't disappear from the front page.

There are a lot more CCB owners out there that may not be interested in wheels/tires and therefore don't look here. And probably a lot more on order. There are a group of Canadians going to the Welt in June to pick up 10 M3's/4's. All of them will be equipped with CCB's, mine included. I WANT these brakes but not at the expense of having to deal with this sort of issue. I truly hope BMW will come up with a solution and knowing BMW as I do, I'm confident they will.
The clearance is indeed tight, but it is even tighter on the OEM winter wheels on which I have been driving all winter on gravelled roads. I haven’t niticespd any damage so far. I'm not sure how much larger the gap between calliper and wheel with the stock brakes is anyway - but I imagine a large enough stone could become lodged there as well.

I think you need to relax more and enjoy the anticipation of your new catr. You are in for an incredible experience by all accounts. Meanwhile, who knows how large of an issue this actually is (without discounting anyone's experience). If a fix is required, and the fix is a new wheel, then you can use the opportunity to get grippier tires.