Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

05-29-2014, 04:23 PM   #89
Suave
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4 and M2 in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
I would prefer, myself, amplification over artificial noise. I don't mind it louder I just don't want it to be fake, not because I don't like the sound, I just don't like the thought of it. Call me high maintenance.
+1 Im with you on that one
      05-29-2014, 04:26 PM   #90
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
How can you tell it's more than 2-3% active sound from a video recording?
I see your point. You are correct. I really can not. But all I am saying is that 2-3% should be hardly noticeable, when in fact it sounds very noticeable in all the recordings of the f80/82 we have seen. It's kind of annoying actually. Almost like a droning noise.
I believe what we hear are more of a characteristic of the turbo engine than it is active sound (not that I can tell for sure either ).

As BMW explained in one of the tech articles, a turbo engine doesn't provide that natural pitch increase in intake sound as revs rise, unlike a NA engine. As @Solstice pointed out, you can change gears by ear when you have become familiar with a NA engine. That effect is less pronounced on a turbo engine, where the intake sound looses that dimension.

I believe that what we have heard is the intake sound/engine noise coming from a turbo engine with little intake air muffling (on a regular car, intake air is muffled significantly since most drivers would object to that much noise from the engine).
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 04:30 PM   #91
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss 335i View Post
I see your point. You are correct. I really can not. But all I am saying is that 2-3% should be hardly noticeable, when in fact it sounds very noticeable in all the recordings of the f80/82 we have seen. It's kind of annoying actually. Almost like a droning noise.
Like a bad ground in your car audio - whining on acceleration
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 04:47 PM   #92
bh1cqx
Rep
Drives: 2010 A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM3 View Post
Word. If you don't like it don't buy it...Simple.

People here act like someone is forcing them to buy something they don't like...WTF.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 04:55 PM   #93
thebigcheese
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

I wonder when akrapovic comes out with an exhaust ... :/
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 05:08 PM   #94
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWM4 View Post
Hey guys, I've been poking around this forum for a while now and actually just put in an order for a mineral white M4 yesterday. I'm pretty excited about it to say the least. This is my first post. I'm interested in deactivating the digitally-enhanced engine noise. This is the only modification that I'd like to make to the car, and I'm guessing this isn't something that my dealer would be able to help with. I'm also concerned about possible warranty issues arising if I were to make such a modification. I'm not dead-set on eliminating the active sound feature but if there's a straightforward way of doing it without messing with the warranty, count me in.

It's already on the forums.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 05:27 PM   #95
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWM4
Hey guys, I've been poking around this forum for a while now and actually just put in an order for a mineral white M4 yesterday. I'm pretty excited about it to say the least. This is my first post. I'm interested in deactivating the digitally-enhanced engine noise. This is the only modification that I'd like to make to the car, and I'm guessing this isn't something that my dealer would be able to help with. I'm also concerned about possible warranty issues arising if I were to make such a modification. I'm not dead-set on eliminating the active sound feature but if there's a straightforward way of doing it without messing with the warranty, count me in.
For real man, evaluate it first, instead of just joining the Active Sound whining/bashing team.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 06:09 PM   #96
mxa121
Major
Rep
Drives: M

Many people are generalizing that getting a louder exhaust will "cure" the Active Sound? This is not relevant. As stated in the original article and many posts, the induction noise is being slightly amplified and has nothing to do with the exhaust.

There will never be an option to turn off the active sound in the iDrive. Reason: BMW would be admitting to a fault or design flaw. Since they added it and can defend it as part of their total package, it will never be an "option".
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 06:14 PM   #97
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxa121 View Post
There will never be an option to turn off the active sound in the iDrive. Reason: BMW would be admitting to a fault or design flaw.
I agree with the first part of that statement. But the second part of the statement is fairly dumb.

Ironically, the people in this forum that bitch and whine about sound are the ones who gave the idea to BMW of active sound in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 06:20 PM   #98
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z8chP View Post
BS. Why would they go through all of that trouble developing an "authentic" engine note through the speakers if it only accounts for 2-3% of the sound you hear.
This.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 06:40 PM   #99
Maddict3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 991 GT3

I think I'm the only one on these forums that actually likes the active sound.

My cousin has a F10 M5 and the car sounds so cool lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 06:45 PM   #100
LDSM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
I would prefer, myself, amplification over artificial noise. I don't mind it louder I just don't want it to be fake, not because I don't like the sound, I just don't like the thought of it. Call me high maintenance.

Exactly! I don't mind amplification at all. But don't give me something that's not there.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 07:05 PM   #101
mxa121
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
I agree with the first part of that statement. But the second part of the statement is fairly dumb.

Ironically, the people in this forum that bitch and whine about sound are the ones who gave the idea to BMW of active sound in the first place.
How is it "fairly dumb"?
Just to be clear, I do not think this is a fault or flaw with their design, but by offering an "off" switch to active sound, it would imply that option is not needed or effective or whatever.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 07:11 PM   #102
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
How is it "fairly dumb"?
Just to be clear, I do not think this is a fault or flaw with their design, but by offering an "off" switch to active sound, it would imply that option is not needed or effective or whatever.
Well, you just contradicted yourself, that's why it's dumb comment. To have an "off switch" is to imply there is a design failure or flaw according to you. Yet you don't agree that's the case.

The lack of induction sound on a turbocharged engine isn't a design fault or flaw, it's natural.

Do I think active sound is needed? No. Do I care that it exists? Also no.

I'll say it again, the same people that are bitching about the overall sound are the ones that caused this design attribute to be added to placate them.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 07:18 PM   #103
mxa121
Major
Rep

Quote:
Well, you just contradicted yourself, that's why it's dumb comment. To have an "off switch" is to imply there is a design failure or flaw according to you. Yet you don't agree that's the case.

The lack of induction sound on a turbocharged engine isn't a design fault or flaw, it's natural.

Do I think active sound is needed? No. Do I care that it exists? Also no.

I'll say it again, the same people that are bitching about the overall sound are the ones that caused this design attribute to be added to placate them.
Did I ever say there was a flaw? No.
I said bmw would not offer an off switch because it would imply a flaw. And, since they defend their design, they do not believe there is a flaw. I can't break it down any more for you. Square peg in square hole, got it?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 07:25 PM   #104
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Did I ever say there was a flaw? No.
I said bmw would not offer an off switch because it would imply a flaw. And, since they defend their design, they do not believe there is a flaw. I can't break it down any more for you. Square peg in square hole, got it?
No, the part of your statement that I took issue with was off switch = flaw. Which, according to you, since BMW doesn't see it as a flaw (since there is no flaw), that's the reason there is no off switch.

IMO, the reason there's no off switch is that BMW considers it just another part of the car, like having 4 wheels, or quad exhaust pipes, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 07:40 PM   #105
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Well, that would also help thin out some of the trolls here. So I'm all for it
The key difference there is that Porsche makes the 911, the 918 Spyder, other extreme enthusiast vehicles.

Anyway 2-3% seems like marketing. We can easily confirm this if someone pulls the fuse. Also, referencing the exhaust seems a bit irrelevant since what we are talking about here is induction noise.
      05-29-2014, 07:54 PM   #106
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
The key difference there is that Porsche makes the 911, the 918 Spyder, other extreme enthusiast vehicles.

Anyway 2-3% seems like marketing. We can easily confirm this if someone pulls the fuse. Also, referencing the exhaust seems a bit irrelevant since what we are talking about here is induction noise.
Let's not get too hyperbolic here. Putting the 911 and 918 Spyder into the same category is saying like an F-18 and 767 are both extreme enthusiast aircraft. I mean, they're both made by Boeing, am I right?

PS: I wasn't talking about exhaust note. I used the general term "sound" since the people bitching about the "sound" of the F8X talk about both the induction noise and exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 08:09 PM   #107
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Which is why the true believers should have done it. I mean, electronically aided sound is piddles compared to an iconic sports car marque introducing a SUV. That's heresy. It's like Yankee Stadium selling Fenway Franks.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 08:11 PM   #108
M Vier
Private First Class
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: M4

y the big fuzz about the exhaust and active sound?

How many E9X have a stock exhaust?????

Try then judge...Get an aftermarket exhaust if you have to
      05-29-2014, 08:20 PM   #109
M3guy3
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Vier View Post
y the big fuzz about the exhaust and active sound?

How many E9X have a stock exhaust?????

Try then judge...Get an aftermarket exhaust if you have to
this has ZERO to do with adding a exhaust or even talking about exhaust noise. WE are talking about sound playing in the cars audio speakers. Plus the E9x had a really good sounding engine ( not exhaust) stock.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 08:25 PM   #110
noblebabyfeets
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i Coupe

Why is exhaust/engine note so important in the first place? Because it's mechanical music to our ears. Humans can now move large pieces of metal back and forth thousands of times per minute and the sound it makes captivates and amazes us, as it should. Now that my brain know there's human intervention between the source of the sound and my ears, I weirdly lose trust and the mechanical music sounds less amazing. Exhaust/engine sound has been used as a marketing tool for a long time but it's always been expensive to design/adjust due to the modifiers being mechanical. But now BMW thought of a way to make this marketing tool digitally adjustable. It's quite brilliant from a marketing point of view.

This doesn't rule out an M4 being in my future, but it's definitely in the cons column. I feel in my bones that BMW has moved into a cost cutting phase company-wide and are trying to maximize profit by offsetting expensive materials with cheaper materials and marketing. Every purchase is a negotiation and in every negotiation there's a sucker. I don't want to be BMW's sucker. I'd rather give my cash to a car company that's still trying to grow by gaining market share and not by cost cutting and cheapo marketing gimmicks.

The internal combustion M cars should really focus on being mechanical marvels. Once you start digitizing stuff - you're instantly throwing yourself into direct competition with Tesla who are already miles ahead. Personally I would love a fully loaded Tesla with 0 exhaust/engine sound. There's a Russian saying, "It's neither fish nor meat. I don't know what it is." I think this applies here. If I desire a car with digital trickery, I'm going to get a Tesla because no one does digital trickery better.

If this makes me sound super anal and picky, you're right, I am. Any non-commercial road car at 100k is a complete rip off, and I'm ok with that, but I'm sure as hell going to get EXACTLY what I want.

Last edited by noblebabyfeets; 05-29-2014 at 08:38 PM..
Appreciate 0