Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-11-2017, 03:46 PM   #1
S.Carter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ER DP, BM3 Stage 2

6MT Long Term Question

Hello all,
Apologies in advance if this thread exists elsewhere, I swear I searched! Anyways, I wanted to see if anyone in the forum has some long term Manual gearbox experience. What I'm concerned about is using the rev match feature in Sport and it breaking or wearing on something. I love the feature aside from people thinking I'm revving at them but dont want to prematurely break my tranny/clutch. From a mechanical perspective I'd assume it was actually better over me heel/toe'ing and wearing the clutch a bit more but anyone with some high milage experience have input? Thanks as always for such a legit community!
      12-11-2017, 04:01 PM   #2
BoxKing
I Rock Your Girls Box
Rep
Drives: M4 F82 ZCP AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Carter View Post
Hello all,
Apologies in advance if this thread exists elsewhere, I swear I searched! Anyways, I wanted to see if anyone in the forum has some long term Manual gearbox experience. What I'm concerned about is using the rev match feature in Sport and it breaking or wearing on something. I love the feature aside from people thinking I'm revving at them but dont want to prematurely break my tranny/clutch. From a mechanical perspective I'd assume it was actually better over me heel/toe'ing and wearing the clutch a bit more but anyone with some high milage experience have input? Thanks as always for such a legit community!
I can't speak for long term, but I do put roughly 20K miles on my car each year (MY17 ZCP). I typically use Sport mode only in the colder months when I'm not trying to engage full power/sensitivity due to poor conditions- when I'm downshifting and relatively close to being in the right gear MPH wise, I'll just let the rev matching do the work without further peddling; I'll generally double clutch when I'm down shifting from higher RPMS. The technology built in to these platforms are well above par so I doubt my efforts make a difference, but it's for my own piece of mind.

Also I only plan to keep this car for roughly 3-4 years until the next generation M4 is announced - guess I just don't foresee having any issues.

Ps.. as a first precaution, I had my manual transmission fluid changed during break in service - did this just in case there were any metal fragments due to break in. Going to do it once more at 30K miles.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2017, 04:54 PM   #3
S.Carter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the feedback. I bought my 14 M3 as a CPO with 6k miles. I'm up to 15 now and just curious if I should stop using that feature as that perfect shift is so nice and easy to use.
      12-11-2017, 05:49 PM   #4
BoxKing
I Rock Your Girls Box
Rep
Drives: M4 F82 ZCP AW

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I bought my 14 M3 as a CPO with 6k miles. I'm up to 15 now and just curious if I should stop using that feature as that perfect shift is so nice and easy to use.
I wouldn't sweat it, you got the car with very low mileage. It's weird how mechanics work; you can do all the right things and in turn have the worst of luck, or you can be the guy who beats the hell out of his car and the only thing that's needed to change for that person are wearable parts (tires/brakes).

Try the double clutch when dropping from high revs. It will also give the engine that extra split second to drop in revs so it doesn't appear like you want to race every person who drives next to you!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 05:54 PM   #5
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
The whole point of the car rev-matching for you is that it is way more precise than you can be. You're not really going to hurt anything by downshifting, as long as you aren't dragging the clutch pedal slowly the whole way out. (You're better to press the clutch, execute the shift, and then get off the clutch quickly; it might jerk the car slightly more, but it would produce less wear on the clutch and flywheel.)
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 06:25 PM   #6
S.Carter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
The whole point of the car rev-matching for you is that it is way more precise than you can be. You're not really going to hurt anything by downshifting, as long as you aren't dragging the clutch pedal slowly the whole way out. (You're better to press the clutch, execute the shift, and then get off the clutch quickly; it might jerk the car slightly more, but it would produce less wear on the clutch and flywheel.)
Yes, this was a learning curve thing I had to figure out when I first got it and tried the matching. Essentially clutch in, shift down and back right out. Its scary at first as it seems like you're about to compression skid (doing this in a traditional manual without rev matching) But its actually quite smooth.
      12-11-2017, 06:34 PM   #7
MrSmartyPants
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 - 6MT_MW on SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
It way over revs when matching, it's just got to be more wear & tear then doing it yourself? Though I do like the feature, I do my own rev matching. In any event I can't see BMW allowing such a feature if it could cause premature wear if used.
I've never noticed it over rev. In fact the rev matches are absolutely perfect! Like so good they make my own feel completely inadequate. I've also been driving manual cars for several decades.

That said, I think the rev matching would extend the life of the entire drivetrain. With less mismatch to take up there is less loading everywhere. Less clutch wear is probably the biggest winner.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 07:00 PM   #8
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

When or how is rev matching turned on with a 6mt, I have been driving exclusively in sport plus and manually matching the revs.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 08:02 PM   #9
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
It way over revs when matching, it's just got to be more wear & tear then doing it yourself? Though I do like the feature, I do my own rev matching. In any event I can't see BMW allowing such a feature if it could cause premature wear if used.
Sounds like something is wrong with your car. It should match the revs perfectly in efficient/sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 08:16 PM   #10
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Interestingly, on the M2 it revmatches all the time, even in Sport+. We only have 3 settings though, Comfort, Sport, Sport+.

Only way to turn it off on M2 is fully disable ESC (long hold, not quick press for "traction" mode)
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 09:19 PM   #11
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Sounds like something is wrong with your car. It should match the revs perfectly in efficient/sport.
Maybe or maybe not, and I say that because it's the original 2015 software so they might have made adjustments along the way as they have with everything else to current. But I thought I had read a few complaints awhile back and remember thinking I agreed, but who knows? In any event I only use sport+ so it ends up a moot point for me. But I'll mention it at my next service and see what they think eventhough eff/sport are rather boring.
Def mention it. I have a 2015 as well and mine rev matches perfectly.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2017, 10:02 PM   #12
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

OP rev matching is actually safer for your engine and tranny and stresses it much less than not rev matching so use that feature to your hearts content and know that you are actually putting much less wear on your drivetrain than if you drove in sport plus and didn’t bother matching revs when downshifting.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 11:15 PM   #13
Rik84
Full Potato
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

2015 car and I’ve driven it for just over 2 years. As my signature says, lots done to it and a lot more power than stock. Trans still feels great.

I drive in sport 100% of the time with rev matching as it makes city driving way more enjoyable. It is actually better for the trans and clutch than you just slipping into gear without any kind of rev match.

It’s something I would not be worried about at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 11:25 AM   #14
S.Carter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
When or how is rev matching turned on with a 6mt, I have been driving exclusively in sport plus and manually matching the revs.
In my M3 (I believe both M3 and M4) Sport + engine config doesnt have rev matching but in comfort and Sport it does the auto rev matching for downshifts.

Thanks to everyone for your input, I felt like they couldnt make a car rev match and break things but its also a new feature for me so I'm always hesitant.
      12-12-2017, 12:30 PM   #15
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

rev matching in f80/f82 is in sport and efficient modes.

there is absolutely no discussion here after clutch reliability. downshifting is absolutely perfect with rev matching. literally pick the gear and dump the clutch. this is the smoothest shift possible period. further on upshifting it hold the rpm. so unless u are letting off clutch to early then you can drive this car butter smooth. if u let rev matching do it job i can see a clutch going 200k
Appreciate 0