proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-16-2016, 09:47 PM   #1
hdubf80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 ///M3 AW/SO/DCT

Bootmod3: Stage 2 Review

First off I'd like to thank Shah, Zayne, Isaiah and the other guys at SSR Performance for helping me with all my needs and answering all my questions (and there were a lot of them). Great group of guys and a great shop. Second thank you to ProTuningFreaks for such an amazing product with all the features that i was looking for. Ive had my tune for about a week and thought id share.

Install: Install was easy and took a few hours. I got some other stuff from SSR so it took a little longer than just the unlock. Most of the hours i spent watching car videos on youtube and Netflix. Now keep in mind i was very hesitant on removing my ECU but the guys made me feel comfortable and talked me through the whole process and let me observe part of it.

First Impressions: Soon as the engine was fired i had huge smile on my face the GTS roar is one of my favorite features of this tune. And my neighbors are happy now that the cold start sequence has been removed. When i took a test drive the car felt and behaved the same as stock which was great but when it boosted it was a whole other animal. So much torque it kept pinning me back in my seat as the RPM's raced to redline. The sound of the turbos spooling was intoxicating. I was in disbelief of how much faster my car became. The only problem was my tires couldn't handle it. Im still on my original PSS that the car came with and they are almost done. Definitely invest in a sticky set of tires because your'e gonna need them to put all that power down. This s55 is very potent and power was there throughout the whole rpm range in every gear. Throttle response is immediate especially in the sport plus setting and something that i will have to retrain my right leg to work with. The car idles the same as stock and didn't have any hiccups so far. The DCT tune was noticeable too when shifting at the top range. I especially like that fact that they threw that in there as one of the features. This is how i imagined the car would be when i first picked it up.

Final Thoughts: This past week i have been able to evaluate the tune to the best of my abilities. Now i don't have a droid device so i cant data log and all that good stuff yet but they're coming out with the ios pretty soon. The Bootmod3 Stage 2 is the best bang for the buck by far. And i considered a lot of different tunes. Its a very livable tune for a daily driven vehicle and since they're running less boost than most gives me a piece of mind about long term reliability. I am excited to see what i can do with some better tires and some more room to play with. Overall i am beyond happy with this tune and am glad i went this route. I cant wait to see and use all the possibilities with bootmod3.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1325105

Give it a try. You wont be disappointed .

Last edited by hdubf80; 11-16-2016 at 11:54 PM..
Appreciate 3
      11-17-2016, 05:54 AM   #2
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Welcome to the dark side!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 08:04 AM   #3
DarksideM4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Nice this sounds so tempting. Did you happen to have a JB4 or piggyback before? Otherwise I'll wait for one of the Dallas F8x guys to get it and compare.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 08:08 AM   #4
4everkidd
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 AY M3

Damn... I've been trying to fight the BM3 for sake of the warranty but I think it will be the first thing I do this spring.

Has anyone in a winter climate been tuned with BM3? More so curious about traction on snow and ice as I haven't driven this car in those conditions yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 09:28 AM   #5
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

Thank you for the awesome review and really glad you're having with your S55! iOS support is just around the corner. File upload is sorted now which was the remaining part and we have some minor UI tweaks to finalize but you can look out for a 1st iOS release very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakam4 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everkidd View Post
Damn... I've been trying to fight the BM3 for sake of the warranty but I think it will be the first thing I do this spring.

Has anyone in a winter climate been tuned with BM3? More so curious about traction on snow and ice as I haven't driven this car in those conditions yet.
Factory traction control is in place and it works great. With it on you don't have much to worry about as it'll stop the party just like with the factory tune. You have to exercise caution/care in bad conditions, not take your traction control off and go WOT if conditions don't allow for it.

We're in Toronto, not as cold as Calgary in winter but below 0C or on ice its all the same tires wise anyways especially in RWD cars.
Appreciate 1
Jaymax85711.00
      11-17-2016, 12:47 PM   #6
hdubf80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarksideM4 View Post
Nice this sounds so tempting. Did you happen to have a JB4 or piggyback before? Otherwise I'll wait for one of the Dallas F8x guys to get it and compare.
No i considered doing a piggy back but ended up just getting the bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 12:51 PM   #7
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

See you Saturday bro!

We should run it!
Appreciate 1
hdubf80143.50
      11-17-2016, 01:19 PM   #8
hdubf80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin | AutoTalent View Post
See you Saturday bro!

We should run it!
Yessir. Take her for a spin...
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 01:22 PM   #9
Buschy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarksideM4 View Post
Ill Have BM3 on my car tomorrow.
      11-17-2016, 01:39 PM   #10
AutoTalent
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6mt | e60 M5 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschy View Post
Ill Have BM3 on my car tomorrow.
But you're receiving it today
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 02:04 PM   #11
Buschy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoTalent View Post
But you're receiving it today
ok it will technically be on tonight. but it might be 12:01 so thats tomorrow.
      11-17-2016, 04:36 PM   #12
SSR Performance
United_States
Rep

Drives: S55 -F80 / N54 -135i / N55-535

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdubf80 View Post
First off I'd like to thank Shah, Zayne, Isaiah and the other guys at SSR Performance for helping me with all my needs and answering all my questions (and there were a lot of them). Great group of guys and a great shop. Second thank you to ProTuningFreaks for such an amazing product with all the features that i was looking for. Ive had my tune for about a week and thought id share.

Install: Install was easy and took a few hours. I got some other stuff from SSR so it took a little longer than just the unlock. Most of the hours i spent watching car videos on youtube and Netflix. Now keep in mind i was very hesitant on removing my ECU but the guys made me feel comfortable and talked me through the whole process and let me observe part of it.

First Impressions: Soon as the engine was fired i had huge smile on my face the GTS roar is one of my favorite features of this tune. And my neighbors are happy now that the cold start sequence has been removed. When i took a test drive the car felt and behaved the same as stock which was great but when it boosted it was a whole other animal. So much torque it kept pinning me back in my seat as the RPM's raced to redline. The sound of the turbos spooling was intoxicating. I was in disbelief of how much faster my car became. The only problem was my tires couldn't handle it. Im still on my original PSS that the car came with and they are almost done. Definitely invest in a sticky set of tires because your'e gonna need them to put all that power down. This s55 is very potent and power was there throughout the whole rpm range in every gear. Throttle response is immediate especially in the sport plus setting and something that i will have to retrain my right leg to work with. The car idles the same as stock and didn't have any hiccups so far. The DCT tune was noticeable too when shifting at the top range. I especially like that fact that they threw that in there as one of the features. This is how i imagined the car would be when i first picked it up.

Final Thoughts: This past week i have been able to evaluate the tune to the best of my abilities. Now i don't have a droid device so i cant data log and all that good stuff yet but they're coming out with the ios pretty soon. The Bootmod3 Stage 2 is the best bang for the buck by far. And i considered a lot of different tunes. Its a very livable tune for a daily driven vehicle and since they're running less boost than most gives me a piece of mind about long term reliability. I am excited to see what i can do with some better tires and some more room to play with. Overall i am beyond happy with this tune and am glad i went this route. I cant wait to see and use all the possibilities with bootmod3.

Thanks for the kind words, as always our doors are open if you have any other questions or need assistance. Bootmod3 is by far one of the most enjoyable mods for the s55, pressing that gas pedal down with the tune loaded doesnt fail to put a smile on my face!
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      12-12-2016, 04:11 PM   #13
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
iOS version is out OP!

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 1
hdubf80143.50
      12-12-2016, 11:41 PM   #14
hdubf80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
iOS version is out OP!
I have downloaded it but don't have the OBD2 device
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 09:58 AM   #15
jeff@autocouture
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Awesome review and write-up! I had the chance of driving one yesterday and i was very very impressed! North East guys come see us! Thanks PTF for such an awesome product!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 10:04 AM   #16
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
I have downloaded it but don't have the OBD2 device
All you need is the OBD2 to Enet cable plugged into laptop run the agent (or BM3 device) open BM3 on iOS or Android or Web version done!

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 12:41 PM   #17
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for the review OP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 10:09 PM   #18
Warranty P
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Quote:

You just described JB Stage 1 piggyback. How much did you pay to have your tune installed?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 10:23 PM   #19
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 BSM X5///MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warranty P View Post
Quote:

You just described JB Stage 1 piggyback. How much did you pay to have your tune installed?
How so...?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 12:09 AM   #20
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warranty P View Post
You just made a big mistake.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      01-08-2017, 01:26 PM   #21
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Quote:
You just made a big mistake.
I would say more than big...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 10:30 PM   #22
Warranty P
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgicm View Post
I would say more than big...
Unless this bot mod tune is $400 or less I think I made an awesome decisions for same exact results without voiding warranty.

Am I missing something here?
Appreciate 1
Fugazii234.50