ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-12-2014, 11:32 AM   #1
Suave
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4 and M2 in progress

Lightbulb What Happens When There Are No Reasons Left To Pick Coupe over a Sedan? Flip A Coin?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Last night at nearly the stroke at midnight I finally came to a firm decision to put to rest the epic battle in my head between the M3 and the M4. I honestly had reached a point where I could just a flip a coin to decide because I had run out of reasons to pick either model. To be clear this is not a post about evaluating/debating the benefits of one model over the other. There are other posts that do that already. This is simply a short story about what happens when all the reasons & excuses that we torment ourselves in our heads are eliminated and you are left with no justification other than Gut feels to make the final choice. What is a guy to do who spends too much time on this forum searching for an answer rather than getting work done to pay for this car?

A little about me then to explain why really I have nothing urging me to say I must choose either model, I am senior level professional responsible for managing client accounts and running projects. I have a wife and 2 kids in car seats. Our current garage has a pair of 2013 Nissans picked up last March that we will keep and quickly payoff until we hit the 100K mile warranty threshold (5-6 years). Pathfinder Platinum SUV (carbon copy of the infinity JX but 12K less) and the other a 4 door Sentra SR that gets me a real world 32 city-38Hwy MPG. Both cars were redesigned and significantly improved for 13 MY and very pleased with choices. Yes I know what you must be thinking! This guy is crazy contemplating having 3 first year new models in his garage (negotiated pre-paid warranty-service plans with cars at no added cost to sale price both were just 1k over invoice). Putting that aside for a moment, between the two cars we always have something to drive for any situation whether its work or personal and never any issues. The third spot in the garage was previously occupied until the start of last winter with a 2013 Porsche Boxster S Spyder which was amazing in its own right and my very rewarding weekend toy. Nevertheless, once I was able to secure the #1 spot at my local BMW dealer for my first M car I made the decision to unload the car without hesitation to fulfill my bucket list item and come back to the brand. I am so thankful I did because this winter was brutal and would have sat in the Garage for at least 4 months collecting dust and depreciating with the Canyon size potholes out there this year. So yeah all the essential needs for having a car are covered..Family trips, errands, bad weather, business, commutes, you name it. All that is left now is for me to get a car that is 100% dedicated to pleasure driving by yours truly. I am active in car clubs, forums, and love going to meets and driving events. The wait will be quite painful this spring/summer with all the great events and nothing to ride while I impatiently wait to pick this car up for a planned group ED and get it back to the states hopefully before end of summer.

What I am trying to say and hope that is clear by now is that all the reasons why people get one model over the other are just gone for me! You would think it would be easy to just go with the Coupe and be done with it but it has turned out to be a Greek Tragedy in my head. So what's left to decide? What's best for what I want out of a 100% dedicated sports car from BMW. Let us see then... I want the model that gives me the best performance, hmmm don't see a disadvantage there choosing either model since they will outperform any factory Spec M Car ever made. Outside of some minor weight differences between models that I can offset by losing a few pounds at the gym I am good! -Yep still no reasons there-. What I am left with is the million dollar question as to what will makes my heart skip a beat when I see it parked in the garage or while driving at the limits? At first the M4 was the clear choice and any owner in my situation would likely say the same. The M4 is what my initial pre-order but after seeing the cars in person and recent great pictures of a AW/SO combo M3 I just can't pass up how the car makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside with the aggressive styling and great lines of the M3. Those flared fenders are the business and when I add the full CF treatment to the exterior it's going to look amazing!

I mean just look at this thing, does it not bring into question your choice of an M4 even just a little bit..come on admit it!

Credit to Maddict3

So yeah I officially made the switch just last night with an email to the dealer to change my order for the M3 and feel great about it. No second thoughts at all and not looking back for me. I simply went with my gut and emotion for the vehicle with no other factors to weigh me down. My first BMW was a 06 330i Sport sedan which I miss very much (see my profile pic) and it's what addicted me to BMW on a run at the Tail of the Dragon . It's only Logical then that my first M car should also be a Sedan. 3 years down the road we will have more colors, options, ZCP, and most importantly a more mature and reliable platform with optimized pricing that aligns the stars to pick a long term Vehicle. I honestly do not know what to expect with this untested first MY year run with issues and effects on resale value so I will stick to a full MSD lease with all fees/taxes upfront for this cycle based on recent history with the E90 and F10. I am 99% certain that I will choose the M4 for the long haul to keep after 3 years until the next evolution away from the F8X platform becomes available. I will have something new and fresh to drive with a coupe and will have gained a full appreciation for the merits of a M3 Sedan. 4 doors over two Doors..Meh.. I see this as a Win-Win in my eyes.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 11:39 AM   #2
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

I prefer the sedan too and chose the m3 because I want the extra space and I think its better looking.

I personally would never get an m3/4 as a second car, but to each their own. Id rather a gt3 or 991s.

JMO, and hope you enjoy the m3. I also have a pre-order in for a 6mt white m3.
      03-12-2014, 11:56 AM   #3
Kief
Major General
Rep
Drives: '24 iX50; '23 i4 M50

Unfortunately for me, the jury is still undecided. I was committed to an M4 (which is what I ordered), but then I see more of these pics...

However, my decision will definitely become a lot easier if my wife and I decide on trading in our E70 and ordering an F15 within the next month or two. Then I'll be "forced" to go with a stripped down and slightly less expensive M3.
'24-I20 iX 50; '23-G26 i4 M50; '22-G82 M4Cx*;20-G05 M50i*; '20-F82 M4CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F85 X5M*; '18-G01 X3M40i*; '18-F80 M3ZCP*; '17-F80 M3ZCP*; '15-F15 X5*; '15-F82 M4*; '12-E92 335is*; '11-E70 X5d; '11-E89 Z435is*;'09-E89 Z435i*; '08-E92 335i*; '06-E90 330i*; '05-E83 X3*; '04-E83 X3*; '03-E46 325Ci* *retired
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 12:02 PM   #4
hadeed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 M3

I was in the same position. Was planning on ordering the M4 for the longest time. Put down my deposit, then after a couple weeks I started feeling the M3 a little more. Now I need to find a way to make time pass by and try to enjoy my 350z for a couple more months..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 01:58 PM   #5
angelc5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 Z3, 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [8.00]
2000 BMW Z3  [0.00]
M4 for me

2000 Z3 2.3
2011 328
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 03:09 PM   #6
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

I think you should have stuck with the M4. It's not too late to change your order.
      03-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #7
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
No doubts in my mind.

M4 all day.

I agree that the M3 looks awesome, but for me it's too similar to my F30 M Sport. Yes the M3 is flared and of course it's much more car than my 328i, but if I'm going in deep I want it to be all the way different.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 04:27 PM   #8
Suave
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
No doubts in my mind.

M4 all day.

I agree that the M3 looks awesome, but for me it's too similar to my F30 M Sport. Yes the M3 is flared and of course it's much more car than my 328i, but if I'm going in deep I want it to be all the way different.
Your response is exactly the way I want to feel about my choice. You choose the M4 because you know exactly that you are ready for a total new change. I never had either an M3 or and M4. I will go M3 for first 3 years and then move to M4 enjoy two new experiences that offer something special.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 04:28 PM   #9
Suave
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4TW View Post
I think you should have stuck with the M4. It's not too late to change your order.
Not going to do it! I want to experience both the M3 and the M4. M3 will be first in line
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 05:04 PM   #10
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suave View Post
Not going to do it! I want to experience both the M3 and the M4. M3 will be first in line
Doooooooit. There have been lots of M3's before, this is the very first M4. You can own a piece of automotive history. Peeps will be asking why you settled for the old model when you could have got the new one. Let's face it, the M3 had its day. The new M4 will be the new standard-bearer - that one car that defines the entire brand.

Don't get sucked in by lipstick items like flared fenders. Look instead to the foundational features like the fastback-esque swoop of the M4's C-pillars and window. Think of all the young ladies who will be asking "OMG ... is that your car?" if you drive that hotrod coupe instead of "Oh, I see, you drive a sedan" if you sulk around in the M3.

Your lonely sales rep is in his office right now, waiting for your call.

03-12-2014, 05:54 PM   #11
Suave
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4TW
Quote:
Doooooooit. There have been lots of M3's before, this is the very first M4. You can own a piece of automotive history. Peeps will be asking why you settled for the old model when you could have got the new one. Let's face it, the M3 had its day. The new M4 will be the new standard-bearer - that one car that defines the entire brand.

Don't get sucked in by lipstick items like flared fenders. Look instead to the foundational features like the fastback-esque swoop of the M4's C-pillars and window. Think of all the young ladies who will be asking "OMG ... is that your car?" if you drive that hotrod coupe instead of "Oh, I see, you drive a sedan" if you sulk around in the M3.

You are the Devil I see...

Good points but I'm not in in it to impress no one but myself and enjoy the great fellowship that exists in the BMW Community. I am married with Children and what is fun for me is for my son to ride comfortably in the back and tell me how awesome the race car sounds back there. He is car obsessed at 5 and loves going to car shows with me. It's tough for him to see out of coupe and spread out with his gadgets. My legacy will be to create a new Bimmer Nut for the next generation. Don't worry though the M4 will be up soon after the refresh and ZCP for the long term.
      03-12-2014, 06:19 PM   #12
MDIVISION
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:

Hmmm, still the M4 doens't have the stance that the M3 does.
2014 BMW 335i MPPK SOLD
2015 M3 SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 06:39 PM   #13
GotEM4
General
Rep
Drives: EM4

why not get the M3 and M4...that is if you have mula!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 08:13 PM   #14
Suave
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotEM4
why not get the M3 and M4...that is if you have mula!
The wife would shoot me with 4 cars in Garage
      03-12-2014, 08:15 PM   #15
Suave
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mloyalty
Quote:

Hmmm, still the M4 doens't have the stance that the M3 does.
^^^^THIS
      03-13-2014, 12:31 AM   #16
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You are the Devil I see...

Good points but I'm not in in it to impress no one but myself and enjoy the great fellowship that exists in the BMW Community. I am married with Children and what is fun for me is for my son to ride comfortably in the back and tell me how awesome the race car sounds back there. He is car obsessed at 5 and loves going to car shows with me. It's tough for him to see out of coupe and spread out with his gadgets. My legacy will be to create a new Bimmer Nut for the next generation. Don't worry though the M4 will be up soon after the refresh and ZCP for the long term.
First thing your boy is going to say is "but daaaaddd ... why didn't you get the coupe!?!?"

Had you actually switched teams again I would have gone on by wishing you luck with a car with doors as heavy as the car itself (and nearly as long), "backseats", not regular usable backseats mind you, but "backseats", and shoe prints and scuff marks all over your beautiful ///M seats from passengers clambering to gain ingress and egress from them.

Seriously, you said it best when you said you have to go with what makes your heart thump and you are going to love your M3 without an ounce of regret I bet.
      03-14-2014, 12:26 AM   #17
JoM3z
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 CP XDrive G82 M4 - SSG

Garage List
I was very conflicted like Suave, but learning that I will be a father clearly was the deciding factor for getting the M3. Coming from an E92 M3 the F80 M3 was an acquired taste, at least for me it was. Surprisingly the car grew on me overnight and now I can wholeheartedly say it is a better looking car than the M4
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 11:14 AM   #18
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

I think the only coupe that I didn't like was the c63 coupe - that car was just an afterthought gone wrong.

The M4, with its sexier side profile.. just looks more exotic in my eyes. And while the sedan doesn't look bad, its still just that... a sedan.

Get what you want!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 11:50 AM   #19
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C | G06 X6 M60i

Good choice. I am planning to get CF front lip, diffuser, spoiler, and possibly side mirror covers. With CF bits on AW, I am confident that it will look amazing.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 12:46 PM   #20
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Suave- you made the right choice. There is no functional reason to go with the m4, and the m3 is cheaper and more practical. Plus the 4-series body is....uncured. It's no longer right looking as a coupe as it's somewhere between the grand tourer 6-series and the tight, small coupe shape of a 2-series - so it's just overly flabby and large for a coupe profile.

It's a no-brainer assuming you have brains, which you obviously do: the m3 is the choice.

Now, above and beyond all that, we've all grown up with the phrase "m3" rolling off our tongue.

Stranger: "What do you drive?"

Me: "I drive a m4"

Stranger: "Huh?"

Me: "It's an m3 but with 2 doors newly renamed by BMW marketing....ah hell, it's an M3."

Instead of dealing with that, do the right thing and stick with the m3. It sounds better in your head, on your tongue, in discussions, being read on a forum.

In addition, the choices M and 3 look better side by side because a 3 looks like a sideways M. M3. It just works. M5 also works, as the shape of the 5 mimics many of the shapes of the M.

But M4? No, nowhere close. It's just a disgusting jumble of letters and numbers that should have never come together.

Need I go on about why you've made the right choice?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 12:51 PM   #21
jbockrd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Alpine White/Carbon M3

I'll take an M4 despite that its the ugliest most bloated car on the face of the earth and its an afterthought by the entire engineering world (at least that's what my constituents from PA say) LOL
      03-14-2014, 12:57 PM   #22
dreamsongs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 - E92 M3 - 335i vert

Not that I don't like looking at the M3, it looks great. But I just can't rap my head around a 4 door sports car, I know it's just me.

I ached over the decision to buy an M5 a couple of years ago and couldn't do it either. I lost sleep over that. But sports car = coupe in my mind. I guess I'm a 2 door kind of guy.

But I agree that you have to go with what makes your heart pump when you open the garage door before you leave your house. The M4 would probably do that for me in the right color combo....
Appreciate 0