ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-12-2015, 02:21 PM   #23
Whttiger25
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i alpine white m sport

Living in sunny california, I decided not to get anything for my 328i M Sport two years ago. My CA sold me hard on the Wheels and Tires but I decided to return the coverage a few days after delivery.

I'm getting close to 30,000 miles on original tires....right rear tire is a little leaky and needs to be topped off every gas tank, but I figure at most 5,000 miles more and I'll have to buy a new set anyway. And then just a year and 15,000 miles to go to the end of my lease and hopefully proof I made the right decision

I do think road quality and lack of bad weather here is a relevant factor. I hear lots more horror stories about roads in parts of the country with actual weather...
2013 BMW 328i M Sport Lease Ends June 2016
2016 M3 AW Adaptive Suspension HK...?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 03:01 PM   #24
3er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

I opted for the windshield protection and 6 year / 100K mile Powertrain Plus warranties.

For me, the PP warranty gives me invaluable piece of mind should I choose to keep the car longer than 4 years (or should I blow past 50K miles too soon). However, you'll really have to assess your own line of thinking and what bothers you. For me, I err on the side of caution. Others don't. There's nothing wrong with either approach unless you miscalculated how you really feel and end up making a decision that doesn't sit well with you. Such situations typically result in *more* money going out the door.
      05-12-2015, 03:31 PM   #25
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

My buddy got a new ATS in PA, spent $600 on a wheel/tire package from the dealership, has had them replace 3 wheels and 6 tires so far in 30k miles. Literally has brand new tires with the warranty. All due to potholes too - no nails/screws. Crappy super low profile michelins on crappy cast wheels I guess.

I can't believe my M survived this past winter's potholes without any bubbles quite frankly. Of course, one week after I get my roof done I've got a nail in a tire....but $10 for a shop to patch it cured that.

It's all about the area you live in, your driving style, and the wheels/tires you have for that warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 05:47 PM   #26
KL07RPH
First Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i

Garage List
Wow that's reasonable! I was quoted 1500 alone for just the full front only...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guarnibl View Post
I'll be doing XPEL on the front end (hood, bumper, front 1/4 panels), rear end quarter panels, and on the lower trim on the sides. Basically everything but the trunk/roof/doors. Should be around $1800.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 05:49 PM   #27
guarnibl
Major
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL07RPH
Wow that's reasonable! I was quoted 1500 alone for just the full front only...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guarnibl View Post
I'll be doing XPEL on the front end (hood, bumper, front 1/4 panels), rear end quarter panels, and on the lower trim on the sides. Basically everything but the trunk/roof/doors. Should be around $1800.
Yeah it isn't much more work to do the rear quarters and side sills so I suppose $300 more makes sense.

That's crazy cheap for $99 stain protection. Mine covered tears on the rover, albeit I never used it -- only for stains, lol.

I guess I should put my dog in my M from now on and get my $495 worth.
      05-12-2015, 06:20 PM   #28
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

none, other than geico mechanical breakdown insurance
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 06:34 PM   #29
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo
I bought the most expensive package that covers EVERYTHING! Because I'm the kind of guy where if I don't have a protection package for something, the next day it breaks. Hard earned lessons. Money is way cheaper than peace of mind! I consider the money paid for the warranty a ceremonial offering to the God's of terrible and unfortunate luck.
If not the Gods, at least the finance managers will love you!
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2015, 06:52 PM   #30
vividracing
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 M3, F30 335i, F80 M3

I never buy anything from dealerships. EVERYTHING is overpriced for profit margins. Anything worthwhile at a dealership can be bought and installed for half the cost or more at a normal retail shop.

Aldo, dealerships don't know/don't care about WHAT they sell, they only see the profit made. So the PPF they sell is the crappiest stuff on the market, but mark it up cause they know you don't know the difference, let's face it you're buying from a dealership, what would you know about what they're selling you? It's not like you've shopped around otherwise you wouldn't buy their garbage.

Service guys are full of it too, you go in for a scheduled maintenance and they pitch you a transmission oil change or some stupid unnecessary thing for extra. You say thanks then laugh hysterically as you get in your car and drive away.
PM, Email, or Call Directly for aggressive BMW Member Pricing
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 06:56 PM   #31
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzer103 View Post
Picked up my car Saturday and the packages offered were:

Windshield (I have HUD)
Tire and Wheel
Clear bra
Leather protection/warranty
Extended warranty

I plan to keep the car for a long time, so will probably get the extended warranty but wait until the current one runs out. The tire and wheel doesn't sound like something I'll do, but the notion of the cost of the special windshield for the HUD has me thinking this should be worth it. Also want a clear bra, but believe I can find it cheaper at some of the places around town. Also unsure on he leather. Can probably go buy my own protectant, but at $99 it is a pretty cheap warranty. Anyone get any of these and now regret it, or vice versa?
None.

Started a thread here

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1069734

by the end of which I concluded they were all a rip off.

Edit: on the specific issue of wheel coverage, before you buy anything, read the policy carefully. Re-reading my thread, I got a copy of the policy and read it and it turns out it covered very little (no cosmetic damage, had to be structural, and only from damage caused by things that should not be on a road - ie: not potholes).

I will get an extended warranty before this one expires though.

Yes, also probably a rip off but...whatever.

Last edited by myzmak; 05-12-2015 at 07:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 06:57 PM   #32
thebrain24
Rep
Drives: 13 335xi

You guys are rough... I sell this shit for a living albeit for Mazda.... Warranty would be worth it if it wasn't 4000 and road hazard is a no brainier in New England if u can by it for the right price. In the south and west I would skip it as well
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2015, 09:25 PM   #33
Dethred
Rep
Drives: M4

The dealerships aren't offering these things to save you money. Every penny you save with one of these "protection" plans costs them money. Why do you think they begin pedaling that garbage to you in the finance office? They know you're excited about your new car and want to play on that to get you to add in more expenses when you're less likely to say no.

Every single thing they offer you is intended to extract more money from you. Don't be a sucker.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 06:56 AM   #34
Matt_B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
My buddy got a new ATS in PA, spent $600 on a wheel/tire package from the dealership, has had them replace 3 wheels and 6 tires so far in 30k miles. Literally has brand new tires with the warranty. All due to potholes too - no nails/screws. Crappy super low profile michelins on crappy cast wheels I guess.

I can't believe my M survived this past winter's potholes without any bubbles quite frankly. Of course, one week after I get my roof done I've got a nail in a tire....but $10 for a shop to patch it cured that.

It's all about the area you live in, your driving style, and the wheels/tires you have for that warranty.
Hey Joe where are you from? SE PA here, too. Our crappy roads are one of the reasons I opted for the 18s.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 06:59 AM   #35
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

None.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 08:07 AM   #36
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybull View Post
If not the Gods, at least the finance managers will love you!
Yessssir! I get treated like royalty when I go in there. They know I'm a fool!

Between warranties on both my M3 and the wife's 328i GT, I practically paid for everyones college tuition at my dealership, the managers golf lessons and even made the owners boat payment. Pests!

PS: I hate it when people say stupid shit like that at my business. Geez!!! You're not really paying me THAAAT much.

Yet, I feel Ike I stole the car from them! Gimme a good deal on the car and I'll give you the warranties you need to make your numbers and look good doing it. Everyone's happy.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 08:13 AM   #37
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
None.

Started a thread here

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1069734

by the end of which I concluded they were all a rip off.

Edit: on the specific issue of wheel coverage, before you buy anything, read the policy carefully. Re-reading my thread, I got a copy of the policy and read it and it turns out it covered very little (no cosmetic damage, had to be structural, and only from damage caused by things that should not be on a road - ie: not potholes).

I will get an extended warranty before this one expires though.

Yes, also probably a rip off but...whatever.
I feel like I got an awesome deal on my f80. Covers interior stains and tears, exterior dings, scratches, paint touchups, wheel and tire damage (including cosmetic), road side assistance (don't need it) and replacement keys ... for 5 years. Paid $2,400.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 08:15 AM   #38
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
none, other than geico mechanical breakdown insurance
Doesn't BMW road side assistance already cover you for that?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 10:27 AM   #39
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

I got the windshield protection. If I get one cracked windshield, it pays for itself. Did the clear bra at my own shop. Still pondering the extended warranty...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 12:13 PM   #40
schnazzy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMBSSM4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzer103 View Post
Picked up my car Saturday and the packages offered were:

Windshield (I have HUD)
Tire and Wheel
Clear bra
Leather protection/warranty
Extended warranty

I plan to keep the car for a long time, so will probably get the extended warranty but wait until the current one runs out. The tire and wheel doesn't sound like something I'll do, but the notion of the cost of the special windshield for the HUD has me thinking this should be worth it. Also want a clear bra, but believe I can find it cheaper at some of the places around town. Also unsure on he leather. Can probably go buy my own protectant, but at $99 it is a pretty cheap warranty. Anyone get any of these and now regret it, or vice versa?
All dealers have different add-on packages that seem like they are from BMW but they are not. (some are).

I didn't lease/finance my car so I don't need to finance the add-ons.

Extending the warranty from my understanding is super expensive. I could be wrong but is was north of $5k.

They offered:
  • warranty - this was a crazy price to go to 6 years and 100k miles.
  • maintenance - almost $4k. (6 years 60k miles). The scare tactic was that the 60k mile maint was very expensive. I asked how much. He didn't know but he claimed it was more than $4k. I said, 5k? he said, probably. I said, in 6 years I can make $4k into 7k. Why would I give you the delta of 2k? I might also not have the car then, and while transferable, the new owner isn't going to give me $4k more for my car than others. People don't think that way.
  • clearbra - I just went to the source. The source wants 700 for a mini with xpel and the dealer wants 1200 for the same place and product. It's mostly extra profit for them but if you are financing/leasing, you can run that into the loan and it's like $5 more a month.
  • windshield protection - This is just a coating and from what I can see, it lasts, at best 2 years. It's essentially an insurance policy to pay your deductible if you get a rock chip (as long as the chip was small). Lots of out clauses. I can do the same thing at the source and it's half the price.
  • leather protection - I have SS so, this was intriguing. Again, really it's just insurance. The coating they put on seems to be about the same as putting leathermasters on yourself every so often. I don't have kids, dogs, or bedazzled dark blue jeans.
  • tire and wheel - This is good only if you keep the same rims and exact tire (brand/size etc.). It was unclear what would happen if I bought a replacement tire from Discount tire instead of the dealer if I got a flat. I already bought other rims and tires so this would not have worked for me. The tires are covered by a $40 (per) policy by Discount tire, and the rims are about $400 each or so... As long as I don't crush a rim and blow out 7 tires in 4 years, I'll have saved money.

If you don't have enough money to pay cash for these things at the places the dealer goes to, or won't have the cash for the maintenance intervals (and you keep your car), then maybe rolling it into your financing works for you. Otherwise, pay cash for what you want, where you can, and save some coin.

Last edited by schnazzy; 05-14-2015 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 12:21 PM   #41
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
Doesn't BMW road side assistance already cover you for that?
Mechanical Breakdown Insurance is Geico speak for an extended warranty contract. It is a GREAT deal in my opinion

If I recall correctly it is $150 per year (for 7 yrs 100k miles coverage) and it has a $250 deductible but other than a few specific exclusions for wear and tear parts it covers everything. This is the opposite of the typical plans that only have a list of inclusions where everything else is excluded (not to mention those cost many thousands up front to purchase)
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 12:49 PM   #42
schnazzy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMBSSM4

Geico is one of a few that cover you for mechanical breaks
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 09:45 PM   #43
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Mechanical Breakdown Insurance is Geico speak for an extended warranty contract. It is a GREAT deal in my opinion

If I recall correctly it is $150 per year (for 7 yrs 100k miles coverage) and it has a $250 deductible but other than a few specific exclusions for wear and tear parts it covers everything. This is the opposite of the typical plans that only have a list of inclusions where everything else is excluded (not to mention those cost many thousands up front to purchase)
That's pretty cool then. Does it overlap BMWs 4yr/50k warranty? Or does it kick in after the manufacturer warranty expires? I guess I'm a bit confused. Doesn't the 4yr/50k already include mechanical breakdown and road side assistance?
Appreciate 0