GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

03-17-2018, 09:51 AM   #1
BMW9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 / Nissan GTR

Methanol mix in a GTS

Just wondering what would happen if one mixed 10 or 20% methanol with the distilled water in the GTS. Would the ECU be able to compensate for it or would it be a disaster?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 04:59 PM   #2
1bmwaddict
No music no life....
Rep
Drives: 22" F95

ECU WILL NOT COMPENSATE. STOP IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW9 View Post
Just wondering what would happen if one mixed 10 or 20% methanol with the distilled water in the GTS. Would the ECU be able to compensate for it or would it be a disaster?
Appreciate 1
BMW953.00
      04-02-2018, 02:16 AM   #3
Dyl360
Rep
Drives: M4, 540ci camaro.

It depends. I believe the s55 Ecu is full time closed loop so it will adjust the fuelling, whether it does it in a good way or bad way would require some more research. stoichiometric fuelling is considerably different on meth vs gas. “If” it pulls 1 part gas from the mix to accommodate 1 part meth that it’s not expecting, you will in effect be running lean.

Another problem would be the potential contact from meth with any incompatible seals and unanodized aluminium.
Appreciate 1
VCP1390.00
      04-03-2018, 12:00 AM   #4
BMW9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyl360 View Post
It depends. I believe the s55 Ecu is full time closed loop so it will adjust the fuelling, whether it does it in a good way or bad way would require some more research. stoichiometric fuelling is considerably different on meth vs gas. “If” it pulls 1 part gas from the mix to accommodate 1 part meth that it’s not expecting, you will in effect be running lean.

Another problem would be the potential contact from meth with any incompatible seals and unanodized aluminium.
Thanks. I think it's too risky to mix anything in with the water unless it's tuned for it and that's risky too.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 03:07 PM   #5
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

Has been done and results were minimal. You would have to tune for fueling rather than cooling. You would want the meth spray constantly rather than having the DME control flow due to temps. Do you have a flash tune yet? Hard to believe you would want/need more power after a flash tune(if you are tracking the GTS that is).
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2018, 12:19 AM   #6
BMW9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCP View Post
Has been done and results were minimal. You would have to tune for fueling rather than cooling. You would want the meth spray constantly rather than having the DME control flow due to temps. Do you have a flash tune yet? Hard to believe you would want/need more power after a flash tune(if you are tracking the GTS that is).
That's a big point I didn't think of. Water spray is only intermittent and based on load and rpm. Meth spray is more constant. Duh!
No I haven't done anything, just speculating. It's still breaking in. But my Dinan stage 2 tuned M4 has more midrange torque than the GTS. Haven't explored the Gts above 5K. Will have to wait and see if more power is desired or not. But so far it's is weak below 4K compared to my stage 2 Dinan. Don't know if I want to mess with this car. It is very special as is. Anyone have any feed back on a GTS tune?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 12:29 PM   #7
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

Well I can let you know of a friends experience who is a avid tracker/club racer. He had his GTS Dyno tuned and it was really dialed in. Over 500whp on Mustang. He then ran into grip issues. They could not get enough tyre on to hold the car on corner exit. He tried many options. The end result led him to selling his GTS. He works closely with Will Turner and was told without body mods the grip will never be where he needs. So It seems the a balance of power to grip is the limit of the GTS. The GTS chassis is so good that tyres are the ultimate weak point.

Quote:
That's a big point I didn't think of. Water spray is only intermittent and based on load and rpm. Meth spray is more constant. Duh!
No I haven't done anything, just speculating. It's still breaking in. But my Dinan stage 2 tuned M4 has more midrange torque than the GTS. Haven't explored the Gts above 5K. Will have to wait and see if more power is desired or not. But so far it's is weak below 4K compared to my stage 2 Dinan. Don't know if I want to mess with this car. It is very special as is. Anyone have any feed back on a GTS tune?
Appreciate 2
BMW953.00
SYT_Shadow11475.50
      04-04-2018, 12:34 PM   #8
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

I read on the warranty manual, BMWNA void warranty if more than 10% Ethanol is in the fuel, but yet so many people are running E85. Wonder if anyone has been denied warranty based on this fuel restriction.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 12:12 AM   #9
BMW9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCP View Post
Well I can let you know of a friends experience who is a avid tracker/club racer. He had his GTS Dyno tuned and it was really dialed in. Over 500whp on Mustang. He then ran into grip issues. They could not get enough tyre on to hold the car on corner exit. He tried many options. The end result led him to selling his GTS. He works closely with Will Turner and was told without body mods the grip will never be where he needs. So It seems the a balance of power to grip is the limit of the GTS. The GTS chassis is so good that tyres are the ultimate weak point.

Quote:
Yes, It seams like the power delivery is more linear in the GTS. It helps control power oversteer. My M4 is always on the verge of loosing traction. I need to drive it in stock boost to have a fair comparison. Can't wait to explore the full potential (that I can extract) of the GTS. Grip seams to be significantly more than my M4 so far.
Appreciate 1
VCP1390.00