GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

04-03-2014, 08:29 AM   #67
BlackCobra08
King Cobra
Rep
Drives: incoming GTS 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by curehead View Post
Is there any mentioning of the smokey burnout function in the manual?
WOT with slight clutch slippage for manual smokey burnout mode lol, it's DCT only for that because the computer is tied into it.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #68
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
The PDK unit in the 991 GT3 is nice, but by and large, M-DCT is a better implementation of dual-clutch technology than the PDK in all other (non-GT3) Porsches.

In all other Porsche cars, PDK includes things like dropping into neutral when you coast; crawling from a stop; and pushing to upshift and pulling to downshift. Interestingly enough, the GT3's PDK doesn't have any of these quirks.
I disagree. PDK is the world standard for dual clutch technology (esp in the GT3) and PDK is a far better implementation than DCT in either manual or auto mode. It's a more intuitive tranmission in auto, faster and crisper in manual mode and doesn't have the weird hesitations, hiccups, and clunkiness dct does. The software porsche has that they do in house is far superior than what everyone else is doing and this IMO is a big part of why they are the standard. Plus this technology wouldn't exist as they invented it.

Only thing I personally don't like is the push/pull porsche gives you standard, I like the left and right paddle option much better.

DCT is good, and I love mine. Huge improvement over the atrocious 6mt in my first e92 m3 but it still doesn't hold a candle to PDK and a couple of the other top tier dual clutches (458/gtr are great as well).
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #69
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

Not a fan of the new tach, but the M HUD looks great!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 04:00 PM   #70
neverbeentoofast
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 35i e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian View Post
This is great information. My big question is about European Delivery.

For those of us who are patient enough to wait, taking an M4 on ED is like a Golfer going to Scotland to play the old courses - a life dream. But how much fun can you have on the Autobahn or Nurburgring if you cant take the car above 5500 RPM? I guess you have to take it easy, but come on NURBURGRING!

To close out the golf analogy, limiting RPMs to 5500 for the first 1200 miles is equal to not being able to play fairways on those courses. Is it worth the cost and hassle? TBD I guess.
I understand the dream. I understand the pain (waiting). I do not understand the problem. Step into the car in Munich. Make an easy tour through germany from south to north to Hamburg. Drive back to the south and to the alps.... have fun
After all that curve-scratching go back to germany. It is some 500km Autobahn-Highspeeding to the Nürburgring from Austrian border. Have fun again.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 04:01 PM   #71
curehead
Second Lieutenant
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCobra08
Quote:
Is there any mentioning of the smokey burnout function in the manual?
WOT with slight clutch slippage for manual smokey burnout mode lol, it's DCT only for that because the computer is tied into it.
Hello. I meant the user manual, aka owners manual. I simply want to know if that ridiculous term is mentioned in the document or whether it was just a term that some BMW employee or journalist used...
      04-03-2014, 04:02 PM   #72
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
I disagree. PDK is the world standard for dual clutch technology (esp in the GT3) and PDK is a far better implementation than DCT in either manual or auto mode. It's a more intuitive tranmission in auto, faster and crisper in manual mode and doesn't have the weird hesitations, hiccups, and clunkiness dct does. The software porsche has that they do in house is far superior than what everyone else is doing and this IMO is a big part of why they are the standard. Plus this technology wouldn't exist as they invented it.

Only thing I personally don't like is the push/pull porsche gives you standard, I like the left and right paddle option much better.

DCT is good, and I love mine. Huge improvement over the atrocious 6mt in my first e92 m3 but it still doesn't hold a candle to PDK and a couple of the other top tier dual clutches (458/gtr are great as well).

My goodness man I'm suprised you haven't taken delivery of a 991/Boxter/Cayman/Panamera/Cayenne/Macan/918 or some other soon to be released Porsche variant.

It's almost like Zuffenhausen casts the Porsche Crest via spotlight over Stuttgart to alert you to any posts/comments on Bimmerpost that contains any reference to Porsche - whether good, bad or indifferent. it's kiind of funny actually. I'm sure your subscription to Cristophorus is up to date

All Good Man - I'm just busting your chops
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)

Last edited by car_fan; 04-03-2014 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 04:20 PM   #73
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Hello. I meant the user manual, aka owners manual. I simply want to know if that ridiculous term is mentioned in the document or whether it was just a term that some BMW employee or journalist used...
Nope, there's no reference to that feature at all.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 05:58 PM   #74
Nex
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer dad View Post
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Muni...d48.856614!3e0

800KM to Paris from Munich

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Pari...50.3431488!3e0

500 Km from Paris to Nurburg.

Hopeless romantic wife= happy
Break-in complete.
Your links don't work for me, but that's only 1300km. You're still 700km off from the recommended 2000km.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 08:41 PM   #75
soccer dad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW SO/SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex View Post
Your links don't work for me, but that's only 1300km. You're still 700km off from the recommended 2000km.
Don't sweat! We will absolutely find a way to get to 2000 by the time you get to the Nurburgring...however, I'll say this. Regardless of how great anyone thinks they are on a track, it's very unlikely that you will need or want to use full power or 10/10ths on that track unless you have quite a few laps.

You can probably ask Karussel as he's a veteran of the track (racing-wise) but since every time they open the track to tourists, there is a crash and I think that every so often someone dies on the track, I wouldn't recommend being speed racer.

I took a 4 day BMW CCA class there with my GTR and I still won't go wild when I get out there this summer.

No one is fast enough in our cars to break any records, win any trophies, or get any prizes. No where near a fast enough car and it's speed limited for the 2 parts of the track where you can go 155mph.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 10:12 PM   #76
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Interesting. So was it all indeed a hoax?

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=949642

(Starting at post #23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Nope, there's no reference to that feature at all.

Best regards,
south
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 06:51 AM   #77
Nex
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer dad View Post
Don't sweat! We will absolutely find a way to get to 2000 by the time you get to the Nurburgring...however, I'll say this. Regardless of how great anyone thinks they are on a track, it's very unlikely that you will need or want to use full power or 10/10ths on that track unless you have quite a few laps.

You can probably ask Karussel as he's a veteran of the track (racing-wise) but since every time they open the track to tourists, there is a crash and I think that every so often someone dies on the track, I wouldn't recommend being speed racer.

I took a 4 day BMW CCA class there with my GTR and I still won't go wild when I get out there this summer.

No one is fast enough in our cars to break any records, win any trophies, or get any prizes. No where near a fast enough car and it's speed limited for the 2 parts of the track where you can go 155mph.
Lol, I'm sure we will all find a way to 2000km before the ring
The next question is if the break in service will be done before the ring or after?!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 07:43 AM   #78
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyM3 View Post
Not quite...it goes back to dealer for fluid changes after 1200 miles.
That dealer doesn't have to be in Munich.. Some of the guys that have done ED scheduled the fluid change at time of pickup, somewhere along the road, like southern france or Paris.. That shouldnt be longer than a couple hour service, not a big deal.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 07:54 AM   #79
Caelric
Banned
Rep
Drives: n/a

Gonna be a long 1200 miles after I take delivery...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 12:48 PM   #80
ProbyOne
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Acura TL / E93 M3 / 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
These LED lights are also used for shift lights, regardless of whether there is HUD or not. Unfortunately, I do not know yet whether there will be shift lights for the manual transmission.

"Optimum Gearshift Indicator (6-speed manual gearbox and 7-speed Double Coutch Transmission in manual mode)"

This is listed under "Tech Specs" in both the M3/M4 and M4 convertible release threads. I'm assuming that this is official release information? Check out the BMW EfficientDynamics section:

04-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #81
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProbyOne View Post
"Optimum Gearshift Indicator (6-speed manual gearbox and 7-speed Double Coutch Transmission in manual mode)"

This is listed under "Tech Specs" in both the M3/M4 and M4 convertible release threads. I'm assuming that this is official release information? Check out the BMW EfficientDynamics section:
Good eye. I'd say the fact that they go out of their way to clarify that it is for both 6MT and DCT is pretty solid confirmation that it is accurate.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 01:16 PM   #82
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Good eye. I'd say the fact that they go out of their way to clarify that it is for both 6MT and DCT is pretty solid confirmation that it is accurate.
I am not sure this feature relates to the shift lights.

I think it is an indicator that tells you when and in what gear you need to shift to maximize fuel efficiency.

Hence why it is listed under the "Efficient Dynamics" section. I remember seeing an image of something like this in the cluster, now I just need to find where I saw it...

Last edited by CanAutM3; 04-04-2014 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 01:25 PM   #83
ProbyOne
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Acura TL / E93 M3 / 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post

I think it is an indicator that tells you when and in what gear you need to shift to maximize fuel efficiency.
This is what I was wondering.

I would be a little frustrated if it came with the feature you described but not shift lights/points for maximum acceleration.
      04-04-2014, 01:36 PM   #84
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Good point - but I have to say that if they are two separate things then that seems a bit convoluted no? I mean, it seems to me that the shift lights themselves could simply adjust based on some setting (sport vs. efficient, for example).

Quote:

Hence why it is listed under the "Efficient Dynamics" section. I remember seeing an image of something like this in the cluster, now I just need to find where I saw it...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 01:40 PM   #85
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
This is what I was wondering.

I would be a little frustrated if it came with the feature you described but not shift lights/points for maximum acceleration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Good point - but I have to say that if they are two separate things then that seems a bit convoluted no? I mean, it seems to me that the shift lights themselves could simply adjust based on some setting (sport vs. efficient, for example).
There you go, found it here.
Attached Images

Last edited by CanAutM3; 04-05-2014 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 01:49 PM   #86
tomwac
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 545i/520d/320d/S1000R/E24

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Power79 View Post
You really made my day South!
Looking forward to second week of july to receive my beast!
Sold the 1M??? M is getting very popular in Begium I see...that's already 3 white ones I know of... Since I need to wait till September/October I demand a presentation when yours arrives
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 07:30 AM   #87
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There you go, found it here.
Thanks CAM3. Here's perhaps a better link:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...indicator.html

I remember seeing this page but quickly forgot about it, so I didn't make the connection with the description of the feature when it was posted above. Unlike the shift lights, it's a small arrow/number, so the two features have different focuses. And I suspect it does not display while in Sport+ engine mode.

So, in the end, this function does nothing to confirm nor refute the presence of the shift light feature in cars with the 6MT. However it is clear they are indeed separate features and that the text in the spec sheet as shown in ProbyOne's post above is only talking about shift indicator, not the lights.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 08:48 AM   #88
M3Power79
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 1M sold - M4 MW DKG ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwac View Post
Sold the 1M??? M is getting very popular in Begium I see...that's already 3 white ones I know of... Since I need to wait till September/October I demand a presentation when yours arrives
Yep sold Thomas
"... on the smiles-per-mile charts, the 1-series M coupe can't be beat. It is a challenging piece, a triple-X-rated driver's machine for semi-professionals. Its handling balance provides an open invitation to indulge in latent oversteer, and provides an opportunity to separate the men from the boys. It is an absolute hoot on the track and an addictive plaything on your favorite twisty back road. "
Appreciate 0