proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

12-30-2015, 10:21 AM   #1
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Going to put my order in today.

After years of lusting after the E90 M3 and about a year of hem hawing over the F80 I set up an appointment for this afternoon to place my order

Here's what I'm shooting for:

M3
6MT
black 19s (wife demanded)
Silverstone Ext (wife preferred over MG)
Sakhir Orange Ext Leather (we both agreed we did not want black)
Premium Pkg
Adaptive M Suspension
Active LEDs

It'll be a third car / weekender (maybe 5000kms a year?) and planning on keeping this for a very very long time.

What's a little bit unresolved: Tech Pkg and SLI - having the LEDs do the european beam shaping would have been really nice but there seems to be a bit of uncertainty in the whole coding thing still, so not sure if I can justify the cost. Blind Spot and Driving Assistant - I won't be driving enough of the car to make the most of these.

Also going to pass on the Exec package. Full leather would have been nice as well but in my test drives I don't even notice the leather dash.. and the only other item aside from LED headlamp that I would want is the surround view (I have top view on the X3 and it's great).. but already getting the parking sensors and back up camera anyway so I should be okay.

DCT - I can drive 6MT but wife can't. Guilty conscience here is suggesting I should get the DCT, but the 6MT is going to be a lost art. Might be a game time decision on this one.

Any other thoughts or considerations?

Wish me luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 10:27 AM   #2
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible SS/SS

Garage List
I won't be ordering LED lights. Halogens were good enough and xenons were a great improvement. I don't need more light esp. not at that price. I can see pretty well in the dark anyway.

I'm wondering why you would go for the saloon M3 over the coupe M4 if this is just a weekend car? I'd have thought the practicality of 4 doors wouldn't be needed.

Good luck! Hope you get a great deal.

CH.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 12:41 PM   #3
///Machiavelli
Big Mac
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY16 F80

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
After years of lusting after the E90 M3 and about a year of hem hawing over the F80 I set up an appointment for this afternoon to place my order

Here's what I'm shooting for:

M3
6MT
black 19s (wife demanded)
Silverstone Ext (wife preferred over MG)
Sakhir Orange Ext Leather (we both agreed we did not want black)
Premium Pkg
Adaptive M Suspension
Active LEDs

It'll be a third car / weekender (maybe 5000kms a year?) and planning on keeping this for a very very long time.

What's a little bit unresolved: Tech Pkg and SLI - having the LEDs do the european beam shaping would have been really nice but there seems to be a bit of uncertainty in the whole coding thing still, so not sure if I can justify the cost. Blind Spot and Driving Assistant - I won't be driving enough of the car to make the most of these.

Also going to pass on the Exec package. Full leather would have been nice as well but in my test drives I don't even notice the leather dash.. and the only other item aside from LED headlamp that I would want is the surround view (I have top view on the X3 and it's great).. but already getting the parking sensors and back up camera anyway so I should be okay.

DCT - I can drive 6MT but wife can't. Guilty conscience here is suggesting I should get the DCT, but the 6MT is going to be a lost art. Might be a game time decision on this one.

Any other thoughts or considerations?

Wish me luck!
Silverstone / Sakhir is a solid combo. That was my choice before deciding to splurge on individual paint.

I think the led lights look way better on this car. But if you're after the beam shaping you need to order tech package. That is because you need high beam assist for the different light stalk which is only bundled in tech package.

Speed Limit Info was a last minute addition for me. I quite like it, particularly when in the 'burbs and I'm not sure of the current limit.

Exec package was a must for me to get the leather dash and door uppers. I think it gives the car a much more premium feel. You spend most of your time inside the car not standing outside anyways right?

Where are you purchasing? Better be going to see Jay Wong at Endras, he's the man! If you do tell him I said hi.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 01:49 PM   #4
Brennan ///M4
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Cabriolet

Garage List
If I were ordering again, I'd get the exec package for the full leather. It is an overly expensive option for what you get, and I don't lose any sleep about only having extended, but the full leather does really make a noticeable difference in the look and feel of the cabin (especially if you're keeping the car for quite a while). The quality of plastic used on the dash isn't bad, but it's a definite step down from the Volvo I was driving previously.

Tech and SLI, I passed on both. I don't really care about the driver's assist features, and I wasn't aware you could code in anti-dazzle until after the order was placed. I ordered the LEDs as a standalone option on my car (I much prefer the look over the Xenons) and while anti-dazzle seems like a cool gimmick for driving at night, I've never really had any problems flicking the stock to turn my high beams on/off. I do find the high beams on the LEDs to be a little lackluster though ... maybe anti-dazzle improves that?

The DCT is a fantastic transmission, and I have no regrets getting it (I drive in manual mode 100% of the time). That said, if you're a died in the wool manual guy, you probably won't be happy without a clutch pedal no matter how engaging the auto is.
      01-02-2016, 11:11 AM   #5
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

About the LED lights - I can say this:

- I was iffy too about getting it.....
- It's AMAZING.
- The anti-dazzle is spot on and works flawlessly. It will not be hard to find someone to code them the "right" way. (Tom@EAS being a good example of this).
- I had 2 previous E92 M3s....the LED exceed, if not match, the Xenons in terms of lighting everything very well ahead of you. I recently went on a trip and drove on unlit country roads and lit freeways. They functioned very well and trust me - when you see it in action, it's not something that you'll be "trying to justify because you spent more money" kind of thing.
- The Halos look AMAZING during the daytime and at night. At a certain side angle the halo of light seems "suspended" in the glass housing....very cool and adds to the classiness of the car.

I have a harder time seeing at night than most because my eyes get stressed out. I have no issues with these and do not strain "to see things". I highly Recommend them.