R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

08-18-2023, 02:56 PM   #1
njavier03
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4

Turner Motorsport x Ohlins R/T or MCS 1WNR

i've read almost every coilover review on this forum, with most being outdated, and i'd like some more recent feedback and opinions based on the two setups i've landed on

the car will be 98% street driven, with a very small likelihood that it ever sees the track. i hate using this word in relation to suspension, because its subjective, so i wont...i'm looking for the best street coilover of the two. my budget is ~$4500.

i looked at the bimmerworld MCS 1-way kit, but i figured i can piece together a kit myself and save a few bucks. as much as i'd prefer a 2-way setup, if MCS is a superior shock to Ohlins, then i may not miss much in comparison and therefore don't need compression adjustment? at least thats my thought process. if i'm not mistaken, i can use OEM strut/shock mounts and don't need adjustable camber plates. i'd pair the kit with eibach springs that are close to the stock ZCP.

the Turner Ohlins kit has lower spring rates compared to the standard kit and thus will be more street friendly. its an all in one kit, so i don't have to do much thinking. its obviously less customizable, but i'm a "good, better, best" person where i don't really like too many options.

i was considering the Tractive EDC kit for a while, but i've read a couple of concerning reviews lately, so i'd rather go with a more familiar brand like Ohlins.

i wont use the word, but ultimately i want to lower the car while reducing the jarring and bouncing that the stock suspension has. fwiw, i had CS EDC coded and if i can get close to that its a win. thanks in advance for the input
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 03:08 PM   #2
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

KW DDC is pretty comfortable and composed on rough roads - and I have no idea about the Turner Ohlins kit; you’d like be one off the first to run that.

I wouldn’t run MCS as a street only suspension - I know BW sells a kit for it but a fixed compression, high gas monotube race damper is likely not going to satisfy your ride quality requirements. I’m on 2Ws w/ 700/600 (true coil rear) and it’s livable but certainly a compromise in ride quality. On track though they are absolutely phenomenal, worth every penny.
      08-18-2023, 08:31 PM   #3
njavier03
Private First Class
Rep

thanks for the feedback on the bw kit. even though they advertise it as street OR track setup, it still leans more towards the track. i've watched The Daily Driven's YT videos on the KW DDC, but they're a bit out of my budget.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 10:22 PM   #4
heyyouduh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I have MCS 1WNR with the standard BW spring rates. Very livable on the street, no worse, and maybe a bit less jarring than stock EDM on sport+. That said, I would not consider something like that for a car that's not going to see some track.

I have had the Ohlins R&T on a different car that was daily plus very occasional track days and I enjoyed it, build quality high. It came with dust boots, nice touch for a daily driven car.

Of the two, I'd pick the Ohlins. That said, for your uses, I'd look into one of the twin tube variants, probably more comfortable and may last longer between servicing. ie KW or Koni based setups.
Appreciate 2
RugbyBro7601.50
      08-19-2023, 12:34 AM   #5
njavier03
Private First Class
Rep

another vote against MCS. are you referring to the KW V3s? i think that's their twin tube offering for the F8X and its pretty much the same price as the Ohlins. unfortunately, i haven't read very many good reviews on those for our platform. they were solid back in my MK7 GTI days.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 10:31 AM   #6
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I find the mcs very street able. I gaurantee the roads here are worse than just about anywhere. Mcs are great quality, have tons of adjustability and great support. Drop down to some softer springs if you need.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 03:25 PM   #7
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

I've had the standard Ohlins R&T kit on my car for a couple months and I actually just picked up my car from the shop with new, softer springs 80 N/mm and 160 N/mm because the ride was borderline unbearable with the standard 90/190 springs. It's all much better now - and how it should've been like from the get go. Still would not class it as very compliant, mind you.

For a street car, I would then steer way from the standard Ohlins offering and would indeed go for the Turner kit or from the other shop that also sells custom R&T kits with re-valved dampers and softer springs. Forgot their name, sorry.

I believe Turner runs 70/140 with revised damping and given my personal experience, I think that's the way to go with these Ohlins coilovers for our F8x cars.

Also been suffering from some knocking noises since the beginning, but it now finally seems that it's caused by worn OEM top mounts. Otherwise, solid and quiet so far, however, remember that you would still be dealing with an aftermarket part that's simply not got the longevity and NVH of OEM BMW stuff. That goes for any brand, KW, Bilstein, etc.

You are not taking full advantage of the CS EDC as you've not modified the rest of the suspension to CS specification, but if you like the current ride & handling and can live with the wheel gap, I suggest leaving it as is...
      08-19-2023, 09:27 PM   #8
njavier03
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_w. View Post
I find the mcs very street able. I gaurantee the roads here are worse than just about anywhere. Mcs are great quality, have tons of adjustability and great support. Drop down to some softer springs if you need.
Are you running 1-way or 2-way?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 09:39 PM   #9
njavier03
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
I've had the standard Ohlins R&T kit on my car for a couple months and I actually just picked up my car from the shop with new, softer springs 80 N/mm and 160 N/mm because the ride was borderline unbearable with the standard 90/190 springs. It's all much better now - and how it should've been like from the get go. Still would not class it as very compliant, mind you.

For a street car, I would then steer way from the standard Ohlins offering and would indeed go for the Turner kit or from the other shop that also sells custom R&T kits with re-valved dampers and softer springs. Forgot their name, sorry.

I believe Turner runs 70/140 with revised damping and given my personal experience, I think that's the way to go with these Ohlins coilovers for our F8x cars.

Also been suffering from some knocking noises since the beginning, but it now finally seems that it's caused by worn OEM top mounts. Otherwise, solid and quiet so far, however, remember that you would still be dealing with an aftermarket part that's simply not got the longevity and NVH of OEM BMW stuff. That goes for any brand, KW, Bilstein, etc.

You are not taking full advantage of the CS EDC as you've not modified the rest of the suspension to CS specification, but if you like the current ride & handling and can live with the wheel gap, I suggest leaving it as is...
Good to know that the softer springs ride better for you. I can only assume the Turner kit will be even better with custom valving and even softer springs. I’m happy with the stock ZCP suspension with the CS EDC. It’s just the wheel gap that I’m trying to eliminate while not making the car insufferable. Any improved handling is just a bonus.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 12:30 AM   #10
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep

I’m thinking something along the lines of an MCS 2way and Millway street camber plates, all with rates like 500f 400r (or less) on a coilover rear. If budget allows, get 2way remote for extra dampening ability. Don’t stop here though, drop down the nitrogen pressure to a lower street spec on the remote canisters, then turn the adjustment knobs to the least aggressive. Should be pretty compliant, and fit what you are after. If you ever want to dial in some stiffness, you would always have the ability. You will still need to get the canisters mounted and deal with routing the lines and making sure they aren’t rubbing on things which could lead to line failure.
      08-20-2023, 07:35 AM   #11
njavier03
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXDC5 View Post
I’m thinking something along the lines of an MCS 2way and Millway street camber plates, all with rates like 500f 400r (or less) on a coilover rear. If budget allows, get 2way remote for extra dampening ability. Don’t stop here though, drop down the nitrogen pressure to a lower street spec on the remote canisters, then turn the adjustment knobs to the least aggressive. Should be pretty compliant, and fit what you are after. If you ever want to dial in some stiffness, you would always have the ability. You will still need to get the canisters mounted and deal with routing the lines and making sure they aren’t rubbing on things which could lead to line failure.
Sounds overly complicated for my intended use tbh.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2023, 12:28 PM   #12
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njavier03 View Post
Sounds overly complicated for my intended use tbh.
Agreed.

What negative things did you read about Tractive btw?
      08-23-2023, 09:59 AM   #13
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Are you running 1-way or 2-way?
2way NR
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 10:45 AM   #14
njavier03
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXDC5 View Post
Agreed.

What negative things did you read about Tractive btw?
customer service and one member had to replace their shocks 3 months after installation and then had repeated issues with them failing/needing to be rebuilt. while that can happen with any set, Tractive being a smaller company with not many distributors makes me a little weary.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 08:26 AM   #15
kwikshift
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Did you decide/install the Turner Ohlins kit?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 01:41 AM   #16
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320 Si, M4 comp. M3 E46

Quote:
Good to know that the softer springs ride better for you. I can only assume the Turner kit will be even better with custom valving and even softer springs. I’m happy with the stock ZCP suspension with the CS EDC. It’s just the wheel gap that I’m trying to eliminate while not making the car insufferable. Any improved handling is just a bonus.
In that case i would just go for a set of Eibach springs, or H&R sport springs if you want it slightly lower. H&R lowers 35mm.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 09:33 AM   #17
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

3DM is the other company that sells a 'street' version of the ohlins RT. I'd get that over the MCS for street, especially given the price. There is another company doing custom valved bilstiens for street use. Can't remember the name, just that they were fairly pricey for a street suspension.

You will lose EDC if that's important. I found sport plus really crashy over bigger bumps. The ohlins are much more livable than sport + imho, even in full spec RT form. If you drive around primarily in lower settings, absolutely get the softer spring version.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 10:01 AM   #18
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theruleslawyer View Post
There is another company doing custom valved bilstiens for street use. Can't remember the name, just that they were fairly pricey for a street suspension.
Fat Cat Motorsports? I know he uses bilsteins as his base shock.
      10-05-2023, 10:03 AM   #19
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Fat Cat Motorsports? I know he uses bilsteins as his base shock.
Nah, they were in the UK. Used b6 I think.

edit- found em.
https://www.evolveautomotive.co.uk/p...ies-f82-f83-m4

Last edited by Theruleslawyer; 10-05-2023 at 10:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 10:29 PM   #20
cecilfon
Registered
Rep
Drives: F80

I have standard Ohlins R&T kit on my F80 and would explore having 70/140 N/mm spring for better street friendliness, wonder if I should set the ride height to the recommended in the standard kit. Thanks!
Appreciate 0