Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-26-2024, 04:15 PM   #1
Oliver Queen
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB/SO M3, 2016 F10 M5

Metallic Vibration Sound

Hi everyone,

Curious if anyone ever ran into this:

Under load 2nd gear and on around 2k rpm a metallic vibration/chatter towards front of the car

Does not do it in 1st gear
Does it on deceleration only when burbles (does not do it on efficient deceleration)
Does not do it in neutral revs unless there's burbles coming down

Could this be something to do with the downpipe?

Car did not do this before and to be honest not sure when it started I just noticed it today but it's pretty loud so I would have noticed it in the past
2015 ML63 AMG
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 03:24 AM   #2
Duke92
Rep
Drives: 997 C4S

I have it too. Started when I swapped to AA EL mid pipe. I traced to exhaust hitting heat shield in tunnel- the tolerances are very close. Have adjusted it out twice - it’s back again. Yours aftermarket?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 07:44 AM   #3
Oliver Queen
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB/SO M3, 2016 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke92 View Post
I have it too. Started when I swapped to AA EL mid pipe. I traced to exhaust hitting heat shield in tunnel- the tolerances are very close. Have adjusted it out twice - it’s back again. Yours aftermarket?
Hey Duke, yeah running a full exhaust and arm downpipes, the sound is coming towards the back so exhaust related instead of wastegate so haven’t stressed out will have my shop look at it next time I go in the summer for maintenance; I’ll probably update this thread after they look at it
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 12:31 PM   #4
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

I had to do some work under the car today and AA couldve designed the EQ midpipe a little better. Its awfully close to the chassis at a couple points and there is room to position the pipes to have better clearance but they didnt do that.

I cant even take the tranny underpanel off without taking the AA EQ midpipe off because they block two of the screws. The stupid thing is they had room to move the pipe over by an inch to give access to the screws.

Anytime i want to replace transmission fluid, tranny mounts, or bleed slave cylinder, i have to remove midpipe and replace the 2 crush gaskets to gain access.
Appreciate 0