ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

03-17-2017, 03:42 PM   #1
smh_amg_m4gts
Faster on 2wheels
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4GTS

M4 GTS gets a proper review by R&T

Initial reviews turned me away from the GTS, but a recent FB friend/avid Porsche Racer purchased one and that prompted me to take a 2nd take. Now I'm getting mine delivered on Sunday.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...-m4-gts-pcoty/
Appreciate 1
VCP1390.00
      03-17-2017, 04:17 PM   #2
jpdchicago
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, X3MC

Congratulations!
You are going to have a blast for sure!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 06:10 PM   #3
Miamistv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M6,M4,F12,991TTS,x5,m235z06,gt

This Car is Special

The reviewer is correct. This car is special. I have a lot of experience with cars and own some of the best in the world. I regularly drive the canyons in and around Los Angeles. I drive them in a V12 Ferrari, Porsche 991TTS, Z06 and others, which I own. This car has a special feeling. This car feels like a race car. It is the handling that is amazing. The power out of corners and around bends. The way that it stays flat, the way that it sounds (which is amazing - the flatulence sounds mentioned by others disappears as the miles go up) , the quickness and precision of the steering, the way you feel the down force from the aero. I could go on and on. It is not a commuter. It is a car to drive only for fun. I cannot believe the negative press and would invite Carlos and others to come with me early on a Saturday or Sunday for a revisit. By the way, I could have sold the car and gotten every dollar including tax back. As the say "from my dead hands".
Appreciate 2
Osiris64.50
redrumm3417.00
      03-17-2017, 06:42 PM   #4
smh_amg_m4gts
Faster on 2wheels
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamistv View Post
The reviewer is correct. This car is special. I have a lot of experience with cars and own some of the best in the world. I regularly drive the canyons in and around Los Angeles. I drive them in a V12 Ferrari, Porsche 991TTS, Z06 and others, which I own. This car has a special feeling. This car feels like a race car. It is the handling that is amazing. The power out of corners and around bends. The way that it stays flat, the way that it sounds (which is amazing - the flatulence sounds mentioned by others disappears as the miles go up) , the quickness and precision of the steering, the way you feel the down force from the aero. I could go on and on. It is not a commuter. It is a car to drive only for fun. I cannot believe the negative press and would invite Carlos and others to come with me early on a Saturday or Sunday for a revisit. By the way, I could have sold the car and gotten every dollar including tax back. As the say "from my dead hands".
Great insight! Jelly that you have so many nice toys...I'm definitely looking forward to driving this beastly car!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 07:31 PM   #5
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
The problem with reviewers, especially "professional" ones, is that they all have certain expectations. If the car is not what they expected, they will generally hate on it and all of the fad recently is just about older cars and how they are. If it isn't N/A they will despise it already.

How many times have we seen C&D, MotorTrend bash the current Ms because it isn't what they wanted? They are ALL biased.
      03-18-2017, 09:19 AM   #6
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Great Review and well said
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 09:38 AM   #7
jpdchicago
Major
United_States
Rep

I don't know if it is just me but I have seen tons of other good reviews on the Gts, most of them calling it the new proper M car.
Do not forget to check all European reviews (some by former professional racers) and you will be impressed. Easy to translate if in other languages.
Do not focus on clowns like Jeremy Clarkson...
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2017, 12:20 PM   #8
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I think the reviews have been mostly positive unless i'm missing something.

Motor Trend praised it for the most part besides its lap times on their circuit. They were biased though cause the M4 GTS tops even Ferraris around the Nurburgring.

I haven't seen the Clarkson review and can't find it anywhere on youtube. I'm not sue why he'd dislike it, as he raved about the base F80 he tested in 2015.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 06:35 PM   #9
Brindle101
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AY M4, AW M6, e92 m3, e46 m3..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post

Motor Trend praised it for the most part besides its lap times on their circuit. They were biased though cause the M4 GTS tops even Ferraris around the Nurburgring.

I haven't seen the Clarkson review and can't find it anywhere on youtube. I'm not sue why he'd dislike it, as he raved about the base F80 he tested in 2015.
Clarkson is and has always been an absolute bafoon!! You aren't missing anything.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 12:25 PM   #10
smh_amg_m4gts
Faster on 2wheels
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post

It was on his new show, The Grand Tour on Amazon.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 01:58 PM   #11
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunnaM3 View Post
It was on his new show, The Grand Tour on Amazon.
Yeah I know that, just haven't found a way to watch it yet.

The F80 review was on TG.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 02:00 PM   #12
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brindle101 View Post
Clarkson is and has always been an absolute bafoon!! You aren't missing anything.
He's always been about getting headlines. Top Gear was (and now Grand Tour) more about entertainment than serious car reviews.

He used to rag on BMW a lot for no reason. I can understand ragging on mediocre ass cars like the F30 and F10, but he used to give the Bangle-era cars a lot of crap even though they were still great driver's cars (unlike most Bimmers now).
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 11:34 AM   #13
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

Very nice review! I think the second paragraph has had a lot to do with reviewers' mentality going into their review tests:

See, the M4 hasn't exactly endeared itself to us since it debuted. The artist formerly known as the M3 Coupe has too much power, not enough tire, and loses that balanced magic that has been a hallmark of the small M car since it first came out in the late 1980s. It just hasn't wormed its way into our hearts like its predecessors.

But there should be no comparison between the M4 GTS and the regular M4.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 08:29 PM   #14
smh_amg_m4gts
Faster on 2wheels
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdchicago View Post
Congratulations!
You are going to have a blast for sure!
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 05:12 AM   #15
vipergts
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 M3

I'm pleased to hear this review and the words from Miamisvt

I have a DTM coming soon and I have wrangled with whether to take it or not. This review convinces me it's exactly the car I love, hardcore track car on the street
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 07:38 AM   #16
RandyC54
Salty Middle Aged Dog
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

I also have a 991TurboS and a GTS. Totally different cars, but I have found myself driving the GTS more than the TTS lately. It's an amazing car. I have not gotten it to the track yet, but as soon as it's broken in I have track dates about every 3 weeks and it will see plenty of action. I can't wait!! I expect it to be a little slower than my fully track-prepped Porsche, but also a hell of a lot of fun.

Any reviewer that is disappointed with this car is not using the right metrics. It's not a daily driver, it's a fun car and a track weapon, and must be judged on those measures instead of how well it handles speed bumps. Secondarily, it draws a crowd everywhere I park it. The Porsche doesn't do that.
Appreciate 1
redrumm3417.00
      03-23-2017, 08:22 AM   #17
jpdchicago
Major
United_States
Rep

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyC151 View Post
I also have a 991TurboS and a GTS. Totally different cars, but I have found myself driving the GTS more than the TTS lately. It's an amazing car. I have not gotten it to the track yet, but as soon as it's broken in I have track dates about every 3 weeks and it will see plenty of action. I can't wait!! I expect it to be a little slower than my fully track-prepped Porsche, but also a hell of a lot of fun.

Any reviewer that is disappointed with this car is not using the right metrics. It's not a daily driver, it's a fun car and a track weapon, and must be judged on those measures instead of how well it handles speed bumps. Secondarily, it draws a crowd everywhere I park it. The Porsche doesn't do that.
I do not know about the track yet but that is why I got it and I am planning to take it there. Taking the 2 day M school in June first since I have never tracked a car. I am not pretending to know what I am doing and am playing it safe. I have had motorcycles for 30 years and still ride and grew up in France with basically no speed limits, but that is definitely not enough...
In the mean time, I am enjoying it as a daily driver. Just too much fun to leave in the garage. Just avoiding speed bumps...

Last edited by jpdchicago; 03-23-2017 at 08:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 10:08 AM   #18
kupcake
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 Jahre 50, e92 M3, 328ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdchicago View Post
I do not know about the track yet but that is why I got it and I am planning to take it there. Taking the 2 day M school in June first since I have never tracked a car. I am not pretending to know what I am doing and am playing it safe. I have had motorcycles for 30 years and still ride and grew up in France with basically no speed limits, but that is definitely not enough...
In the mean time, I am enjoying it as a daily driver. Just too much fun to leave in the garage. Just avoiding speed bumps...
You'll love the 2-day M school, spend lots of time in M3/M4's and get comfortable
with the car's abilities on the track. Instruction was excellent and there's plenty of seat time. Are you going to SC or Thermal? I guess either way it will be hot, but AC use is encouraged.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 10:44 AM   #19
TT1351
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135, GTS, E30 M3+

I'm booked for Thermal at the end of October, should be great, 2 day school for me. Fran
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 10:46 AM   #20
smh_amg_m4gts
Faster on 2wheels
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1351 View Post
I'm booked for Thermal at the end of October, should be great, 2 day school for me. Fran
Did you get a voucher or did you have to fork over more $$$ for this privilege?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 11:32 AM   #21
TT1351
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135, GTS, E30 M3+

Got a voucher, and 15% off the balance with my BMW CCA membership. Fran
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 12:28 PM   #22
jpdchicago
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupcake View Post
You'll love the 2-day M school, spend lots of time in M3/M4's and get comfortable
with the car's abilities on the track. Instruction was excellent and there's plenty of seat time. Are you going to SC or Thermal? I guess either way it will be hot, but AC use is encouraged.
Going to SC in June. Closer to Chicago and worked better with my schedule. I definitely will be using AC!
Practicing with the DSC in the mean time. I have had Manual M3s for 12 years and still getting used to the paddle.
Appreciate 0