Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

03-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #23
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

The M3 will be more functional. It would be my pick between those two.

Get the one that works better for the uses to which you'll put it. None of us can tell you that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 12:29 AM   #24
OverDriven
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

I get what Photoguy is saying. There are far cheaper ways to go very fast. So if you're going to pay 80k+, many people are buying status as well. The BMW brand has the status factor. The Nissan brand does not. People generally do not look at a GTR and oogle at it unless they're tuner guys who know what it is. BMW has spent a lot of time and money building a higher end brand, and there's nothing wrong with admitting to buying into it.

Now, I'm not saying that's my deciding factor in buying a car, but it is a factor for many people and there's nothing wrong with that. As I said, if all you want is to go fast, you can spend less. I'm not sure why you guys are giving Photoguy such a hard time about that unless it's just the way he came across.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 04:42 AM   #25
Wilstein
AMG Eater
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 '12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoGuy View Post
Once you go pass that and reach to the next maturity level though, you see what the BMW is all about - brand name and luxury and you won't look back to any other Japanese car, other than DDs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverDriven View Post
I'm not sure why you guys are giving Photoguy such a hard time about that unless it's just the way he came across.
So do you agree to photoguy's opinion; GT-R buyers are relatively immature to those who buy M3?

I don't even own a GT-R and I still find it quite annoying.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #26
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

That should just show you the accomplishment under the hood. The GT-R is pretty much dog S* through and through (pretty ugly design, plastic s* everywhere, awful screen resolution), but that engine and the mod potential alone puts it in the discussion.

That intrigue for me puts it in the discussion.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #27
SEI
Second Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
M3 is much more exciting and comfortable inside..

The GTR is extremely fast and handles very well but no thrill... i get the feeling like no matter what i do the car is gonna save me.. same applies to traction off.

If you love driving go for the M3

If you want to be the fastest and the best and let the car drive you go for the GTR

Had both prefer the M3, Heck.. my 335i makes me smile more then the GTR..
      03-10-2013, 03:21 AM   #28
Renus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam335ix View Post
Well boys and girls, I have a decision to make next year! Either buy the new M3 or get the 2013 used GTR. The M3s numbers seems way to weak for 80k but I really like the way it looks. I am sure I will tune the shit out of it but... I can buy a used 2013 GTR and spend about 17k to upgrade turbos etc and get about 700+ HPs and mid 600 torque. I have one issue, GTR is a bit ugly or is it me? I normally don't post about stuff like this but I am torn.... I for once want to get a bang for my money but can't get over how freaking boxy the GTR looks.

If 4dr M3 vs GTR, definitely GTR. If M4 vs GTR, for exterior would be M4, but regarding for speed, definitely GTR.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 08:17 AM   #29
M0J0
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM3C '22 JKUR '13

GT-R's hold their value very well. Better than the M3 in my opinion. I also think the M3 has little prestige. If prestige and being flash is what you want. The GT-R will turn lots of heads. To most the M3 is just another 3 series BMW. It is not a chick magnet at all. More of a dick magnet. As I said, it comes down to comfort vs unusable speed. Also, the maintenance on a GT-R is very expensive. Also, expect to get sucked into modding it which is endless.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #30
TheRealOrosie
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep
Drives: //M

Quote:
Well boys and girls, I have a decision to make next year! Either buy the new M3 or get the 2013 used GTR. The M3s numbers seems way to weak for 80k but I really like the way it looks. I am sure I will tune the shit out of it but... I can buy a used 2013 GTR and spend about 17k to upgrade turbos etc and get about 700+ HPs and mid 600 torque. I have one issue, GTR is a bit ugly or is it me? I normally don't post about stuff like this but I am torn.... I for once want to get a bang for my money but can't get over how freaking boxy the GTR looks.
At the end of the day, all that matters is what you like...not others. Asking for other's opinions is futile....at least for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 10:35 PM   #31
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEI View Post
M3 is much more exciting and comfortable inside..

The GTR is extremely fast and handles very well but no thrill... i get the feeling like no matter what i do the car is gonna save me.. same applies to traction off.

If you love driving go for the M3

If you want to be the fastest and the best and let the car drive you go for the GTR

Had both prefer the M3, Heck.. my 335i makes me smile more then the GTR..
I'm sorry but if you think driving your 335i makes you smile more and less thrills than the GT-R, then you're not driving it properly or anywhere near its limits and the GT-R is not for you.

The M3 isn't anywhere near in the same league as the GT-R, which competes with the super cars of this world. The GT-R has lapped Nürburgring 9th fastest ever by a street legal car at 7:18 min. Here's a video of the GT-R against the Porsche 911 GT3 at Nürburgring 24h race. This car has ultimate respect within the racing community.

And if you think the GT-R is no thrill and easy to drive, again, you're not driving it properly and probably just driving to the shopping mall or something. Here's a video from Motor Trend pitting the GT-R against a Porsche Turbo 911S. Note where he says the Porsche has lighter steering and less involving and smoother, easier to drive; whereas the GT-R is more fun, like a soul trying to escape the car. The Porsche wins in a straight line drag (due to more hp and torque) but the GT-R makes it up in the twisties.

Anyhow... the bottom line as others have said is the M3 and GT-R are really very different cars and so it depends on your preferences. If you want to play and race with the big boys, it's the GT-R. If it's for mostly everyday driving to/from work or the supermarket and you want luxury, comfort and the brand name, then get the BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #32
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

GTR is an Enginnering Marvel. I have drove one and can tell you unless you push it, it's boring as crap. There are countless reviews that state this and not Motortrend which is trash IMO. The M3 is a great drivers car and very balanced. Neither car is better then the other overal it depends on what you want. Both the GTR and the M3 are drool worthy.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 11:39 PM   #33
Rumspringerdaily
Banned
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Tough choice. Whats more important? Looks or performance? The new m6 sedan is gorgeous too!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 02:50 AM   #34
SEI
Second Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
I'm sorry but if you think driving your 335i makes you smile more and less thrills than the GT-R, then you're not driving it properly or anywhere near its limits and the GT-R is not for you.

The M3 isn't anywhere near in the same league as the GT-R, which competes with the super cars of this world. The GT-R has lapped Nürburgring 9th fastest ever by a street legal car at 7:18 min. Here's a video of the GT-R against the Porsche 911 GT3 at Nürburgring 24h race. This car has ultimate respect within the racing community.

And if you think the GT-R is no thrill and easy to drive, again, you're not driving it properly and probably just driving to the shopping mall or something. Here's a video from Motor Trend pitting the GT-R against a Porsche Turbo 911S. Note where he says the Porsche has lighter steering and less involving and smoother, easier to drive; whereas the GT-R is more fun, like a soul trying to escape the car. The Porsche wins in a straight line drag (due to more hp and torque) but the GT-R makes it up in the twisties.

Anyhow... the bottom line as others have said is the M3 and GT-R are really very different cars and so it depends on your preferences. If you want to play and race with the big boys, it's the GT-R. If it's for mostly everyday driving to/from work or the supermarket and you want luxury, comfort and the brand name, then get the BMW.
im sorry but i lost respect for the gtr when i went sideways at 290km/h and with barely any effort the car straightened itself out.

im not saying the GTR is a shitty car but i dont have fun in it because no matter what happens i know the GTR is going to save me..
my whole point was the m3 is so much more fun then a GTR. if you want to impress people on how good "you" can drive then get a GTR.
i buy my cars to make me happy not to prove to people im fast or anything like that. so you are right the GTR is not for me.. i need a lunatic's car like an m3 or gt2.

you live in toronto so you should know how it is when it snows.. i was in the GTR on the 427. and when its snowing you should know they dont plough the very left lane. i was on that unploughed section going 180km/h and the car just twitches a little (yes at 200 it starts becoming unmanageable but at 180 the car feels completely stable and safe). i had my friend in the next lane doing 140 and he was struggling (to be fair he was on summers still).

on track the car is retarded as well.. you are incredibly fast... faster then almost everything. but its not you thats driving..

i got so frustrated to the point when i said fuck the warranty this isnt fun with traction controll on. so i switched it off. and guess what? no difference.. the car still behaves pretty much the same..

you dont belive me? go to touge.ca ask for kevin. if ur in toronto and track you should know him already. i was on winter tires in toronto motorsports park and raped everything... if anything that was the most fun i had in the gtr as there was barely any traction.

have you owned a gtr or just sat in? if you just sat in you wont get what im talking about because the first 4 mths of ownership you are still amazed at what this car can do. after that you realise its all just the car driving you..

and your comment about the twisties.. if forgot exactly where it was i think in orangeville or smth. me and my friends we having a crusie through small roads and it is incredibly hard to keep up with an e90 M3 through small tight roads.. same applies in singapore.. we had a cruise M3, GTR, LP 670SV, 335i. towards the end it ended up beaing M3 in the lead, GTR 2nd, 335i 3rd, LP670 went missing for a bit..

Big cars are hard around twisties. an example for you is this. try fighting a modded 2000 in dunville.. you will get raped.. try the same thing in shannonville and u will rape the s2000

Last edited by SEI; 03-11-2013 at 03:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #35
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
im sorry but i lost respect for the gtr when i went sideways at 290km/h and with barely any effort the car straightened itself out.

im not saying the GTR is a shitty car but i dont have fun in it because no matter what happens i know the GTR is going to save me..
my whole point was the m3 is so much more fun then a GTR. if you want to impress people on how good "you" can drive then get a GTR.
i buy my cars to make me happy not to prove to people im fast or anything like that. so you are right the GTR is not for me.. i need a lunatic's car like an m3 or gt2.

you live in toronto so you should know how it is when it snows.. i was in the GTR on the 427. and when its snowing you should know they dont plough the very left lane. i was on that unploughed section going 180km/h and the car just twitches a little (yes at 200 it starts becoming unmanageable but at 180 the car feels completely stable and safe). i had my friend in the next lane doing 140 and he was struggling (to be fair he was on summers still).

on track the car is retarded as well.. you are incredibly fast... faster then almost everything. but its not you thats driving..
You seem to be saying the the GT-R is too balanced and well made and thus less fun to you. Using this evaluation criteria, you must love American muscle cars (more on this later).

And I'm not sure that driving 180km/hr on the 427 hwy (where speed limit is 100km/hr) when it's snowing is a smart thing to do. And you were doing this on an "unploughed section"?? You're nuts! And your friend had on summer tires in the snow going 140? You've got to be kidding??! You may not care about your own lives but could kill someone else. With all due respect, I hope to never to meet you guys on any road in any weather condition.

On a lighter note and back on topic. There's this show on the speed channel called R U Faster than a Redneck. The one I watched had the suped up E46 M3 and stock GT-R going against 2 American muscle car. The M3 loss badly due to not enough HP. The GT-R went up against a 650 HP race tuned muscle car so it was also dreadfully short on HP. Even so, the GT-R killed the much more powerful muscle car! It was a slaughter!

An excerpt of that show can be found HERE. It's all in fun but it's another example of the beast that's the GT-R.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #36
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

Get gt-r
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #37
SEI
Second Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
On a lighter note and back on topic. There's this show on the speed channel called R U Faster than a Redneck. The one I watched had the suped up E46 M3 and stock GT-R going against 2 American muscle car. The M3 loss badly due to not enough HP. The GT-R went up against a 650 HP race tuned muscle car so it was also dreadfully short on HP. Even so, the GT-R killed the much more powerful muscle car! It was a slaughter!

An excerpt of that show can be found HERE. It's all in fun but it's another example of the beast that's the GT-R.
i dont understand what this has to do with anything.. ive already said that car is an amazing car. all ive been trying to say is it has no feel no soul no fun.

The gtr just drives differently to any other car ive owned too artificial i dont like. everyone has different prefrences.

The end..
      03-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #38
darmawaa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
I have 2013 F30 335i tuned and changed the downpipe with high flow catalyst, should gain approx 70hp & 70tq. The car is very powerful for daily driving, comfortable in comfort setting and sporty in sport setting.
M4 F82 is too expensive, maybe 50% more than F30 335i.

I've 2014 GTR on order (June 2013 delivery). GTR is very big for daily driving, I'll use it for the track and midnight driving only.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #39
Sam335ix
Major
Rep
Drives: 335 ix performance edition

It has been fun reading all the replies, I will have to wait and see the 2014 M3 in person and drive it. I have driven the GTR a few times now and I like the way it handles.

Coming soon to the garage: 2014 M3 Maybe M5
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #40
OverDriven
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:

i got so frustrated to the point when i said fuck the warranty this isnt fun with traction controll on. so i switched it off. and guess what? no difference.. the car still behaves pretty much the same..

you dont belive me? go to touge.ca ask for kevin. if ur in toronto and track you should know him already. i was on winter tires in toronto motorsports park and raped everything... if anything that was the most fun i had in the gtr as there was barely any traction.
I would argue that if you didn't find the GTR "fun" in the way you want, it's probably because you aren't a good enough driver to find it's limits.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 05:05 AM   #41
Dellort_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:

lol you're trying to argue a statement by using youtube videos vs a guy that's had first hand experience and then end by saying it's personal preference. This makes no sense.

So after watching the motor trend video, do you believe the gtr is more fun to drive than the porsche? That's that guys personal preference, may not be the same to you, which is what sei is saying about the M3 vs gtr. I don't even know why you're trying to argue his post.
2011 Alpine White/Fox Red 6MT E92 M3 | Active Stage 2 w/Meth | KW Clubsport | OSS | Challenge Front Lip | Vorsteiner Type 2 Rear Diffuser and Bootlid | Brembo | Recaro | Akrapovic Slip-On | Challenge Race+ X-Pipe | Vossen CV3 | OEM 359M | TE37SL
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 05:30 AM   #42
jwickers
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i GT

Imho they are both ricer cars, so you might as well buy the fastest
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #43
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Gtr is a beast. Sure interior quality may not be as high but its a nissan. BUT engineering and performance is top notch.

Even in an ///M car i dont care about navi leather blah blah just give me the performance. Same exact thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #44
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Depends on what you want to drive. But on another note the GTR is a great car but it is not a true drivers car. It will always try to save you. Now I am not saying its not fun to drive fast or doesn't take skill. The GTR is not a car that makes you feel connected but it is fast and handles speeds like a supercar. I have driven one around PBIR and it was fun but I had more fun in the BRZ to be honest.
Appreciate 0