Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

11-23-2017, 12:50 AM   #1
carenthusiast
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: n/a

Learned lesson the hard way

Long story short, dealer ordered my M3 with wrong options. Yes this is my first post, too.

Back story, I've been considering buying the M3 for about a year. Immersed myself in the process. Looked at 2017's, decided to wait for 2018's. Was waiting for them to start showing up on dealer lots a few months ago not really in a rush to order. Saw the announcement about the driveshaft switching to steel and decided to start trying to get serious around Labor Day to find a car. Wavered a bit on final options, but by start of October decided what I wanted and became apparent would have to order.

So, talking to multiple dealers, finally settled on one. Made sure they had immediate allocation. Put down deposit. Asked for Vehicle Inquiry Report, but was told couldn't get it right away as they would place the order in a day or two. Two days later hadn't heard from them but was given production number at least. Was so relieved to get that, and start immediately tracking it, that while I had asked for a copy of the VIR it then slipped my mind when they never provided it.

The car went into production almost immediately, and at that point I became meticulous about tracking it thanks to the great sticky thread on here. Car was built on 10/19 and on track to arrive before Thanksgiving which was another concern as we still have decent weather here and wanted to receive it before winter comes and it can be unpredictable here as to when that happens.

Things started to look up, weather was going to be good this week and even into next week. Not even a rain drop which is rare. Not warm but not too cold. Sunny. A few days off from work to break in the new car with some nice drives. Everything was perfect and couldn't have gone better.

So the car hit Baltimore on the 11th. A few days later I see it's left the port for the dealer. Then it gets to this past weekend and I figured the car must be over there so I drive over to the lot where they have all the recently unloaded cars, it's a Sunday so dealer is closed, around sunset. Turn the corner and see what must be my car. Excitement. Will be ready just in time for a 60 degree sunny Tuesday pickup I'm thinking.

Then it hits me. Still got the protective wrap but I see the black shark fin. Are my eyes deceiving me in the fading daylight? Then I see the distinctive shape of the carbon roof (I ordered moonroof). No, that can't be my car then. But wait, it has the interior color I ordered. Just a coincidence I figure. Walk over and see the manual shifter. That's getting to be a lot of coincidences. Whip out my phone to pull up my car's VIN and start going through the digits until I get to the last one... it was like the opposite feeling of a winning lottery ticket reading that last number on the car's VIN and seeing it matched my VIN.

The car I had been tracking for almost 7 weeks is wrong.

If only I had insisted on looking at the VIR, and side by side with the ordering guide helpfully posted in this forum, because even just looking at the VIR alone (as I did postmortem) I wouldn't have been able to tell the other thing they ordered wrong. The wheels are wrong, too.

Yes, as I went home that evening and looked at pictures I took of the car to confirm to myself the roof was wrong, I realized the wheels were wrong color. I ordered the black competition wheels. Sure didn't get those either. Although contrary to what I've read other people on here have experienced, this dealer did offer to give me the car with black wheels as surprising as that sounds. I presume they would take them right off another M3 in stock, but frankly didn't bother to follow-up on that as just trying now to figure out next steps.

Not expecting sympathy, well maybe a little, but I do take partial blame for trusting too much, getting too focused on timing of production and not focused enough on the VIR. Would've been nice if dealer had done it right of course, but I feel to blame here.

So I just wanted to share my story and hopefully have others benefit from my mistake.

It's been a few days and they're just giving me some time and space to figure this out so the car is sitting tucked away now not made available for sale yet to others, but will give them my decision Friday.

Options are obviously:
1) Accept this car with roof I didn't order and I guess swapped over wheels, although I'd have to investigate exactly how they plan to do that.
2) Find a comparable car elsewhere in the country
3) Re-order, obviously without the carbon driveshaft I rushed to get, and wait several more months (don't want to receive it mid-winter anyway)
4) Walk away entirely (which feeling as deflated as I do after the long ordeal seems almost liberating), plus not sure I want to "reward" this dealer with my business on a car where they made a mistake. Every time I get into it I'll be reminded of that mistake too.

I haven't found a 100% match in the country, nor had I in the months preceding. A few close matches. As you can imagine, moonroof cuts down the available pool immensely. I think there is one car I've identified in the country that is 100% match except for the interior is black instead of silverstone I ordered. Frustrating, so close. I won't hold my breath for finding an exact match. I'm sure I'd have to compromise on an option or color here or there, or be forced to accept options/accessories I don't want to pay for as dealers sometimes load up on those things.

So we'll see. Probably I will at least walk away from this car, and this dealer. Another reason I feel to blame. This dealer does not have a good reputation and I was hesitant to go there. It all happened harmlessly enough. Just went one day casually because they were only ones anywhere close that had a color I wanted to see in person. Hit it off great with the salesperson and I think that kind of built a false deeper trust than I would've normally granted a salesperson in a more businesslike atmosphere (as opposed to the friendly one there). For what it's worth, the salesperson feels bad about the situation, which I do appreciate. We were both looking forward to making this happen and I believe they are a genuinely sincere and well-meaning individual. Between the two of us, we both missed it and dropped the ball unfortunately.

So in case anyone out there is ordering, INSIST on that VIR. Do not let it go, at least not if you are rigid about what you want as I am.

Last edited by carenthusiast; 11-23-2017 at 01:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 01:41 AM   #2
nano10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

I am sorry to hear this happened to you, my car went into production last week and I haven't look deep into it but I confirmed with my sales guy everything and he made sure it was spot on, this is my second time ordering with him so I hope I'm ok

As for your situation, I know it's not ideal but seems like you are putting alot of stress on yourself over this. If you are gonna keep the car a long time then don't settle and re order if it means that much to you. If you know you will have it for 3 to 4 years, take the one you ordered and if you hate the roof that much you will be out of it and on to your next car.

The M3 I ordered is my dream car and if they messed up I would be upset and disappointed. After that I would either make a quick decision and move on because after all what I really wanted was an M3 and that is what I will get so life is good. Just my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 10:47 AM   #3
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
That sucks. Reminds me of when I ordered my first BMW in 1999, a E39 528i 5-speed. I ordered it because it was the only mid-sized sport sedan at the time that was available with a manual transmission. Three months later, the car shows up...with an automatic. So I feel your pain. Any other mistake and I would have probably taken the car, but not the wrong transmission. The dealer found a similar car for me, but I did have to settle for a different color (or wait 3 more months, which I did not want to do).

GL with your situation - I hope it all works out.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 01:43 PM   #4
hova00
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

I know it sucks that they screwed up but it could be a blessing in disguise. Carbon roof is truly a unique touch that a lot of other manufacturers don't offer.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2017, 01:49 PM   #5
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

But sunroof is more rare so it increases resale value right
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2017, 05:22 PM   #6
Stealthm4bcm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP

When I ordered I triple checked everything with the SA. He even printed I guess the VIR our right after we were done. Then we did another final check before I signed.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 08:15 PM   #7
Habber
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
I just revived mine and I also ordered 6MT and moonroof and I honestly don't think I'd be happy without either of them.

It's painful but I'd swallow the steel shaft if it meant having the options that I wanted.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 08:21 PM   #8
hova00
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
I just revived mine and I also ordered 6MT and moonroof and I honestly don't think I'd be happy without either of them.

It's painful but I'd swallow the steel shaft if it meant having the options that I wanted.
Whoa!! Hold on now nobody should be swallowing the STEEL SHAFT!! Regardless of options. :
Appreciate 4
ilia381.00
DrtyJrze707.00
      11-23-2017, 10:26 PM   #9
ilia
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hova00 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post

Whoa!! Hold on now nobody should be swallowing the STEEL SHAFT!! Regardless of options. :
      11-24-2017, 12:06 AM   #10
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

I would take the car, honestly. I had a hard time getting the CF roof because I used roof racks on the car previously, but the creases and aesthetics of the CF roof are one of the things I always find myself looking at. Makes the car look very sporty!! JMO
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 06:57 AM   #11
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by carenthusiast View Post
Long story short, dealer ordered my M3 with wrong options. Yes this is my first post, too.

Back story, I've been considering buying the M3 for about a year. Immersed myself in the process. Looked at 2017's, decided to wait for 2018's. Was waiting for them to start showing up on dealer lots a few months ago not really in a rush to order. Saw the announcement about the driveshaft switching to steel and decided to start trying to get serious around Labor Day to find a car. Wavered a bit on final options, but by start of October decided what I wanted and became apparent would have to order.

So, talking to multiple dealers, finally settled on one. Made sure they had immediate allocation. Put down deposit. Asked for Vehicle Inquiry Report, but was told couldn't get it right away as they would place the order in a day or two. Two days later hadn't heard from them but was given production number at least. Was so relieved to get that, and start immediately tracking it, that while I had asked for a copy of the VIR it then slipped my mind when they never provided it.

The car went into production almost immediately, and at that point I became meticulous about tracking it thanks to the great sticky thread on here. Car was built on 10/19 and on track to arrive before Thanksgiving which was another concern as we still have decent weather here and wanted to receive it before winter comes and it can be unpredictable here as to when that happens.

Things started to look up, weather was going to be good this week and even into next week. Not even a rain drop which is rare. Not warm but not too cold. Sunny. A few days off from work to break in the new car with some nice drives. Everything was perfect and couldn't have gone better.

So the car hit Baltimore on the 11th. A few days later I see it's left the port for the dealer. Then it gets to this past weekend and I figured the car must be over there so I drive over to the lot where they have all the recently unloaded cars, it's a Sunday so dealer is closed, around sunset. Turn the corner and see what must be my car. Excitement. Will be ready just in time for a 60 degree sunny Tuesday pickup I'm thinking.

Then it hits me. Still got the protective wrap but I see the black shark fin. Are my eyes deceiving me in the fading daylight? Then I see the distinctive shape of the carbon roof (I ordered moonroof). No, that can't be my car then. But wait, it has the interior color I ordered. Just a coincidence I figure. Walk over and see the manual shifter. That's getting to be a lot of coincidences. Whip out my phone to pull up my car's VIN and start going through the digits until I get to the last one... it was like the opposite feeling of a winning lottery ticket reading that last number on the car's VIN and seeing it matched my VIN.

The car I had been tracking for almost 7 weeks is wrong.

If only I had insisted on looking at the VIR, and side by side with the ordering guide helpfully posted in this forum, because even just looking at the VIR alone (as I did postmortem) I wouldn't have been able to tell the other thing they ordered wrong. The wheels are wrong, too.

Yes, as I went home that evening and looked at pictures I took of the car to confirm to myself the roof was wrong, I realized the wheels were wrong color. I ordered the black competition wheels. Sure didn't get those either. Although contrary to what I've read other people on here have experienced, this dealer did offer to give me the car with black wheels as surprising as that sounds. I presume they would take them right off another M3 in stock, but frankly didn't bother to follow-up on that as just trying now to figure out next steps.

Not expecting sympathy, well maybe a little, but I do take partial blame for trusting too much, getting too focused on timing of production and not focused enough on the VIR. Would've been nice if dealer had done it right of course, but I feel to blame here.

So I just wanted to share my story and hopefully have others benefit from my mistake.

It's been a few days and they're just giving me some time and space to figure this out so the car is sitting tucked away now not made available for sale yet to others, but will give them my decision Friday.

Options are obviously:
1) Accept this car with roof I didn't order and I guess swapped over wheels, although I'd have to investigate exactly how they plan to do that.
2) Find a comparable car elsewhere in the country
3) Re-order, obviously without the carbon driveshaft I rushed to get, and wait several more months (don't want to receive it mid-winter anyway)
4) Walk away entirely (which feeling as deflated as I do after the long ordeal seems almost liberating), plus not sure I want to "reward" this dealer with my business on a car where they made a mistake. Every time I get into it I'll be reminded of that mistake too.

I haven't found a 100% match in the country, nor had I in the months preceding. A few close matches. As you can imagine, moonroof cuts down the available pool immensely. I think there is one car I've identified in the country that is 100% match except for the interior is black instead of silverstone I ordered. Frustrating, so close. I won't hold my breath for finding an exact match. I'm sure I'd have to compromise on an option or color here or there, or be forced to accept options/accessories I don't want to pay for as dealers sometimes load up on those things.

So we'll see. Probably I will at least walk away from this car, and this dealer. Another reason I feel to blame. This dealer does not have a good reputation and I was hesitant to go there. It all happened harmlessly enough. Just went one day casually because they were only ones anywhere close that had a color I wanted to see in person. Hit it off great with the salesperson and I think that kind of built a false deeper trust than I would've normally granted a salesperson in a more businesslike atmosphere (as opposed to the friendly one there). For what it's worth, the salesperson feels bad about the situation, which I do appreciate. We were both looking forward to making this happen and I believe they are a genuinely sincere and well-meaning individual. Between the two of us, we both missed it and dropped the ball unfortunately.

So in case anyone out there is ordering, INSIST on that VIR. Do not let it go, at least not if you are rigid about what you want as I am.
They can also search all cars ordered by dealers sitting at the processing centers in addition to other dealers. There may be something headed to another dealer they could grab.

Read...no drive, the manual.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 07:23 AM   #12
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 YMB/SS ZCP

That's weird, man... my VIR was given to me the day I agreed to claim the allocation. We confirmed everything via email and I didn't put a deposit down. He sent me the VIR a few hours later with everything verified.

Best of luck with your decision.
Appreciate 0