Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-03-2017, 10:38 PM   #551
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone View Post
Dammit. You just cost me 90k!
LOL, hey, there's always that fine balance between enjoying it now or maybe not being around later to enjoy it hahah
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      07-07-2018, 11:47 PM   #552
818M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Geo Metro

To all the folks with cloth interiors...

I am debating whether or not a cloth interior is a good choice and a choice I won't regret later after it's too late. With that said, for the guys with cloth/carbonstructure, what are your thoughts? Do you guys have any regrets? Is it worth saving the $ 3500 on a full interior?Any info is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 01:33 AM   #553
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Are you getting Exec Pack? Because Extended leather is included.
Appreciate 1
818M3329.50
      07-08-2018, 01:58 AM   #554
818M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post

But when I build the car on the configurator it doesn't include extended leather with executive package?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 02:11 AM   #555
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 818M3 View Post
I am debating whether or not a cloth interior is a good choice and a choice I won't regret later after it's too late. With that said, for the guys with cloth/carbonstructure, what are your thoughts? Do you guys have any regrets? Is it worth saving the $ 3500 on a full interior?Any info is greatly appreciated!
If you don't like a sweaty ass (or a frozen ass in the winter), get cloth seats. Cloth also looks better than extended black leather, which is just a sea of black. Specifically wanted cloth, got it, and I got no complaints. Can never go wrong with cloth.

However, can't get full leather dash with cloth, which sucks balls as the interior plastics are worse than in the E90.
      07-08-2018, 02:32 AM   #556
SherM4n
M4 748(a)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M4, '12 TT RS, '02 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
If you don't like a sweaty ass (or a frozen ass in the winter), get cloth seats. Cloth also looks better than extended black leather, which is just a sea of black. Specifically wanted cloth, got it, and I got no complaints. Can never go wrong with cloth.
Agree, it's absolutely one of my favorite features on the car. Had it on my 2015 and got it again on the new one.
818M3329.50
      07-08-2018, 05:44 AM   #557
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

For long term ownership and if you have 3500 for full leather, I'd go with leather.
      07-08-2018, 06:52 AM   #558
gunsmoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I get compliments on the cloth seats. People at the dealership where I have the car serviced asked me how I got that special interior and what it took to get it. They were unaware that it was standard since all cars they had seen came with leather. It's a superior option except to people thinking what the Joneses are going to say about that. Otherwise, here are a few pros:
- Cools off quicker in the summer and heats up faster in the winter.
- Holds you body in place better at a track event. Look up racing seats on Amazon or elsewhere - you will see that cloth dominates.
- Lighter than leather
- Won't wrinkle over time (bolsters excluded)
- Looks less bland than black leather due to the combination of different materials.

Anyway, you should see the cloth seats, if you haven't already, before buying the car. There are a couple of things I find less impressive - the matching carbon cloth on the door panels and the way the shoulder part of the seats looks.
Appreciate 2
818M3329.50
jmg18679.00
      07-08-2018, 06:59 AM   #559
Prossx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 G82 6MT SPY/YMB

Bought my car CPO, so no choice but I like it a lot more than I thought I would. Now wondering how much a leather dash would be.
Appreciate 1
818M3329.50
      07-08-2018, 08:05 AM   #560
instarand
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I have never driven an F8x with cloth seats. All I know is that I sat in ones with and without full leather option... and extended leather was a deal breaker for me. On a car this nice, the full leather really transforms the interior and made its interior look and feel more comparable to the price tag. I had a 911 without full leather and I vowed never to do that again.

I am sure there are some legitimate benefits to cloth as mentioned above (comfort, temperature, etc.) but personally I think cloth makes the interior look cheaper (to my eyes) and then you add the plastic dash and surfaces everywhere and I just couldn't do it.

Full leather was the only way for me. But I suggest if possible to sit and drive both. There's no right or wrong here - just a personal decision based on how it all feels to you.
Appreciate 3
      07-08-2018, 09:34 AM   #561
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post

But when I build the car on the configurator it doesn't include extended leather with executive package?
It's hard to see it on the builder. Look at the ordering guide under Exec Pack. Extended leather is +$0 and Full Leather is only $2650 extra.
Appreciate 1
818M3329.50
      07-08-2018, 09:45 AM   #562
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I've never understood the logic of people who want cloth in luxury cars. I give OP a pass b/c he's talking about performance, but many people online are just hipsters who want to be different.

An expensive car should always have "real" materials, meaning leather wood metals etc. Cloth, plastics, etc. make me gag.

I need full leather everywhere. I need every button to be metal, and every trim piece to be wood or aluminum.
Appreciate 2
instarand208.50
818M3329.50
      07-08-2018, 12:07 PM   #563
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I've never understood the logic of people who want cloth in luxury cars. I give OP a pass b/c he's talking about performance, but many people online are just hipsters who want to be different.

An expensive car should always have "real" materials, meaning leather wood metals etc. Cloth, plastics, etc. make me gag.

I need full leather everywhere. I need every button to be metal, and every trim piece to be wood or aluminum.
Beauty of M3 you can swing it more towards performance or luxury
Appreciate 1
818M3329.50
      07-08-2018, 12:44 PM   #564
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:

I think this is the disconnect between two camps of BMW fans. Many of us are performance enthusiasts and fell in love with BMW because they would build nice cars that performed. The original M3 took that to a new level. So if you value performance, the cloth seats are better. They are grippier and cooler. If you are sitting in an autocross with AC off, they are more comfortable than hot slippery leather especially in hot climates. So BMW makes two materials to satisfy both camps but just like you can't understand how anyone would want leather....those of us in the performance camp can't understand how someone would buy an M3 and bloat it with executive packages and all sorts of fluff. We tend to prefer value how a seat performs a little higher than perceived luxury status.

The funny thing is that if you look at Ferraris, Lambos and McClarens they use "not real" alcantara in their seats just for that reason...not leather because alcantara is a better performance material as are the cloth seats in the M3.
Appreciate 1
818M3329.50
      07-08-2018, 12:47 PM   #565
RobbyMack
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 Sakhir

Quote:
Living in a warm climate I'll never have leather again unless it comes with ventilated seats. I've got the cloth and they are awesome.
Appreciate 2
      07-08-2018, 12:50 PM   #566
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Do you drive an F8x? If so, how are you coping with the cheap ass sunvisors, plastics on the seat backs and bases, trunk carpeting, etc.? There are no touch points in the interior of the M3 that are made of metal.

Full leather dash takes it up a few levels, sure, but the base is still cheap and worse in comparison to E90 LCI.

Porsche can do cloth seats in conjunction with leather dash, and I'm sure there's a reason why they're offering it. And I would like to know the reason why bmw cannot give me leather dash with cloth seats.
      07-08-2018, 12:57 PM   #567
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyMack View Post
Living in a warm climate I'll never have leather again unless it comes with ventilated seats. I've got the cloth and they are awesome.
I live in Austin, TX. It can get warm here. I have full black leather interior and have had no problems at all without ventilated seats, but have never had a car with them. Proper window tint and UV clear on the windshield holds the interior temps way down even on triple digit days, which can be abundant in Austin.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 1
818M3329.50
      07-08-2018, 01:16 PM   #568
818M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by instarand View Post
I have never driven an F8x with cloth seats. All I know is that I sat in ones with and without full leather option... and extended leather was a deal breaker for me. On a car this nice, the full leather really transforms the interior and made its interior look and feel more comparable to the price tag. I had a 911 without full leather and I vowed never to do that again.

I am sure there are some legitimate benefits to cloth as mentioned above (comfort, temperature, etc.) but personally I think cloth makes the interior look cheaper (to my eyes) and then you add the plastic dash and surfaces everywhere and I just couldn't do it.

Full leather was the only way for me. But I suggest if possible to sit and drive both. There's no right or wrong here - just a personal decision based on how it all feels to you.
Do you have pics of the plastic dash? This is something new to me..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 02:30 PM   #569
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Do you drive an F8x? If so, how are you coping with the cheap ass sunvisors, plastics on the seat backs and bases, trunk carpeting, etc.? There are no touch points in the interior of the M3 that are made of metal.

Full leather dash takes it up a few levels, sure, but the base is still cheap and worse in comparison to E90 LCI.

Porsche can do cloth seats in conjunction with leather dash, and I'm sure there's a reason why they're offering it. And I would like to know the reason why bmw cannot give me leather dash with cloth seats.
The F30/F80's interiors were warmed over E90s. Nobody was doing metal finished buttons in 2012 anyway. I expect BMW to catch up with the C63 in it's next iteration.

As far as Porsche goes, they will literally do anything if you are willing to pay for it. The most notorious examples are leather vent slits and leather rear view mirrors. They aren't a volume manufacturer like BMW where everything needs to be streamlined according to the demands of the masses.

Anyhow, I understand where you are coming from and if you re-read my original post you'll see I wrote that I understand OP's perspective. I should have made it clearer that my gripe is with the hipsters who hate leather for the sake of being different. That's more of an issue on r/cars and not here.

Last edited by Germanauto; 07-08-2018 at 02:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2018, 03:59 PM   #570
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
I have leather (amaro) because I just like leather, and I especially like that color. My brother, however, has cloth. There is absolutely no question whatsoever: I like the way my brother's seats feel A LOT BETTER. Both cars are F82's, mine 16 his 15.
Appreciate 1
SherM4n630.00
      07-08-2018, 04:58 PM   #571
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The F30/F80's interiors were warmed over E90s. Nobody was doing metal finished buttons in 2012 anyway. I expect BMW to catch up with the C63 in it's next iteration.

As far as Porsche goes, they will literally do anything if you are willing to pay for it. The most notorious examples are leather vent slits and leather rear view mirrors. They aren't a volume manufacturer like BMW where everything needs to be streamlined according to the demands of the masses.

Anyhow, I understand where you are coming from and if you re-read my original post you'll see I wrote that I understand OP's perspective. I should have made it clearer that my gripe is with the hipsters who hate leather for the sake of being different. That's more of an issue on r/cars and not here.
Fair enough, sorry.

That is true, but just to nitpick, I meant Sport Tex seats in the 991.2. Those are on the standard option list AFAIK.

And pls don't mention r/cars. That's mostly bunch of YouTube commenters that happen to share their infinite wisdom full of bullshit on reddit. Got downvoted for saying that sports cars should wear quality tires and not some cheap junk that was in the OPs photo. Haven't visited since then, lol.
      07-08-2018, 05:15 PM   #572
ImGoingPlaces
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: AMG GTS

Looks cheap and ugly
Appreciate 0