proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-25-2021, 10:47 AM   #1
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

Increase in car thefts in my area

Hi,

Lots of whatsapp messages going around of people who had their cars stolen on Tuesday. Cops said that they usually know the cars that are unlocked by the mirrors being folded out.

I always park my car in the garage and lock it but the keys are inside the house. I haven't done much research into how secure our cars are but I do know that sometimes you can boost the key signal even from within the house and unlock / start the car. Did they improve security in the 2018 models?

In either case, if they want my car they'll find a way to get it. I'm wondering if there is some sort of tech out there like lojack that I can put in my car to help track it down. I'm not looking for military technology, but just something that might help and is less obvious than lojack which seems to be something thieves get around pretty easily.

I was thinking of putting an Apple AirTag in the car. Perhaps hiding a couple of them since they're small. I know this doesn't give live GPS data, but since it uses the power of iPhone networks it could work.

Anyone know if any other tech out there where you could track the car via an app or something like that?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 12:48 PM   #2
Baekhyunn
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

I picked up my 2018 F80 around 5 weeks ago. I have the MyBmw app where it has the locator/tracking on but I heard that subscription goes away. In my previous car, I have a 3rd party GPS tracker that I got from Amazon. The problem was getting it to charge constantly lol.
      09-25-2021, 01:11 PM   #3
TractionControlDelete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82-E92 M3-E46 M3-E30-S1K-330i

Garage List
2004 X5  [9.00]
2006 325i  [10.00]
2021 S1000RR  [9.50]
2006 330i  [7.75]
1986 325e  [10.00]
2005 M3  [7.40]
2009 M3  [8.63]
2018 M4  [10.00]
The myBMW app is the way to go. It's all there already. After the subscription ends I'll switch to Tile or AirTag (maybe one of each). Both last very long.

Throw your key fob in this when not in use to block signal extenders:

https://www.amazon.com/Faraday-Prote.../dp/B07W94QLKM

These cars aren't very easy to steal though so AirTag/Tile will probably be more helpful to simply find the car if I forget where I parked when going to somewhere unfamiliar

https://youtube.com/@tractioncontroldelete
Appreciate 2
White3401392.00
      09-29-2021, 06:25 PM   #4
hr55ngh
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition SMB

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by White340 View Post
Hi,

Lots of whatsapp messages going around of people who had their cars stolen on Tuesday. Cops said that they usually know the cars that are unlocked by the mirrors being folded out.

I always park my car in the garage and lock it but the keys are inside the house. I haven't done much research into how secure our cars are but I do know that sometimes you can boost the key signal even from within the house and unlock / start the car. Did they improve security in the 2018 models?

In either case, if they want my car they'll find a way to get it. I'm wondering if there is some sort of tech out there like lojack that I can put in my car to help track it down. I'm not looking for military technology, but just something that might help and is less obvious than lojack which seems to be something thieves get around pretty easily.

I was thinking of putting an Apple AirTag in the car. Perhaps hiding a couple of them since they're small. I know this doesn't give live GPS data, but since it uses the power of iPhone networks it could work.

Anyone know if any other tech out there where you could track the car via an app or something like that?

Thanks
You can't rely on the MyBMW app. The tracker can be turned off in seconds from the idrive, it's not a real tracker.

The Apple tag is a great solution as you can hide it away really well.

I have a Pandora alarm and immobolizer, one of the best out there, can't use the key clone or signal booster tactics, the obd port gets blocked and engine immobilizes when the alarm goes off, it's not going anywhere. It's also got a proper tracker on it.

Ghost is also a good choice.

Those faraday pouches aren't very good either, a little kink is enough for it to fail and you'll have a false sense of security unless you regularly test it by pressing the lock and unlock buttons and if you have comfort access, holding the key inside the faraday pouch against the handle and opening it, if it opens the pouch is toast.
Appreciate 1
White3401392.00
      10-01-2021, 12:28 PM   #5
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Don't stress about it - insurance companies will rake money in from you for the rest of your life and since you're in NYC too, you know that all too well. Let them deal with it.
Appreciate 6
      10-01-2021, 12:55 PM   #6
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks
You can always install 2 kill switches hidden somewhere.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
White3401392.00
      10-01-2021, 01:03 PM   #7
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
Don't stress about it - insurance companies will rake money in from you for the rest of your life and since you're in NYC too, you know that all too well. Let them deal with it.
Not worried about Insurance per se. I just want my car. 🙂
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 01:17 PM   #8
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Quote:
I share the same feelings about my cars but certain things are just out of my hands. Lets you focus more on yourself and your loved ones.
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2021, 01:51 PM   #9
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
Quote:
I share the same feelings about my cars but certain things are just out of my hands. Lets you focus more on yourself and your loved ones.
I want my loved ones, too. I'm just greedy!
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2021, 02:56 PM   #10
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Increase in car thefts in my area

In January my building doorman buzzed my intercom at 1am to tell me that two NYPD officers were waiting in the lobby to speak with me. I have a guilty conscience so I was initially relieved then shocked to learn that my F80 and two other cars were stolen from the attended Manhattan parking garage around the block 3 thugs bum rushed the valet and drove off at 1am. My anti theft device (6MT) failed.

BMW was able to GPS track the car allowing NYPD to recover it in Midwood later that morning. It had been abandoned and stripped of the carbon fiber bits, license plate, Ray-Bans and tools. Personally, I didn't want the car back after it was so violated. No joke, I was mentally preparing myself to learn to love the G80.

Anyway, the whole experience sucked. To add insult to injury, the police tow pound wouldn't accept my $350 payment to release the car unless I had a valid license plate on the car. I wondered around Sunset Park on a cold wet day until I found a local shop who was happy to issued me temp paper plates for $175.

Everything worked out in the end. The parking valet's injures healed and the police eventually charged and convicted the theives...sadly, just young kids without any opportunity.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 04:26 PM   #11
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post
In January my building doorman buzzed my intercom at 1am to tell me that two NYPD officers were waiting in the lobby to speak with me. I have a guilty conscience so I was initially relieved then shocked to learn that my F80 and two other cars were stolen from the attended Manhattan parking garage around the block 3 thugs bum rushed the valet and drove off at 1am. My anti theft device (6MT) failed.

BMW was able to GPS track the car allowing NYPD to recover it in Midwood later that morning. It had been abandoned and stripped of the carbon fiber bits, license plate, Ray-Bans and tools. Personally, I didn't want the car back after it was so violated. No joke, I was mentally preparing myself to learn to love the G80.

Anyway, the whole experience sucked. To add insult to injury, the police tow pound wouldn't accept my $350 payment to release the car unless I had a valid license plate on the car. I wondered around Sunset Park on a cold wet day until I found a local shop who was happy to issued me temp paper plates for $175.

Everything worked out in the end. The parking valet's injuries healed and the police eventually charged and convicted the theives...sadly, just young kids without any opportunity.
Wow! What a story! Glad it worked out in the end and no one was hurt. What a bunch of shitheads out there. It's crazy because so much has to do with how you were raised. I grew up in Jackson heights (think coming to America) but no matter what the social situation was I was raised to never cheat or steal and to work hard for what you want. Sounds obvious and I can't make sense of parents who don't do the same. I never saw my parents either as they were always working so there are things you can do without being there all the time
Appreciate 2
      10-17-2021, 06:34 AM   #12
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
I stored an Airtag in my two cars. Can hide them away pretty easily and at least give some 2nd line of defense so to speak in case I do need to locate the car.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 09:33 PM   #13
amberzombie
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: MG F80 ZCP

Garage List
2007 E90 320i  [0.00]
Are AirTags reliable? I heard they make beeping sounds when they are out of range of the original owner - won't this alert the thief that there's something in the car that needs attending to?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 09:48 PM   #14
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

My IT guy came in my office today and that SOB was beeping the whole time, he apologized for it. It was hooked on his car key ring.

I’m thinking just leave your car keys in your pocket and you won’t have to track where you left them.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 09:51 PM   #15
TractionControlDelete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82-E92 M3-E46 M3-E30-S1K-330i

Garage List
2004 X5  [9.00]
2006 325i  [10.00]
2021 S1000RR  [9.50]
2006 330i  [7.75]
1986 325e  [10.00]
2005 M3  [7.40]
2009 M3  [8.63]
2018 M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
My IT guy came in my office today and that SOB was beeping the whole time, he apologized for it. It was hooked on his car key ring.
Tile is good. I use it on an older car that I park on the street. Disappointing hearing about the AirTag.

https://youtube.com/@tractioncontroldelete
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 07:48 AM   #16
luthers4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550

Rookie question- thieves can use a key booster, start the car and drive any distance outside the key range? I assumed once outside a specific range of the key the car would become immobile after warnings.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 09:34 AM   #17
summilux
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 MG & 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by luthers4 View Post
Rookie question- thieves can use a key booster, start the car and drive any distance outside the key range? I assumed once outside a specific range of the key the car would become immobile after warnings.

Once started, car won't turn off unless you hit the Start/Stop button.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 02:56 PM   #18
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Hi,

I always park my car in the garage and lock it but the keys are inside the house. I haven't done much research into how secure our cars are but I do know that sometimes you can boost the key signal even from within the house and unlock / start the car. Did they improve security in the 2018

Thanks
Install an alarm in the garage. Maybe a bag for your key like mine. Sounds rather fool proof to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 02:58 PM   #19
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DML View Post
Quote:
Hi,

I always park my car in the garage and lock it but the keys are inside the house. I haven't done much research into how secure our cars are but I do know that sometimes you can boost the key signal even from within the house and unlock / start the car. Did they improve security in the 2018

Thanks
Install an alarm in the garage. Maybe a bag for your key like mine. Sounds rather fool proof to me.
I have cameras and receive notifications on my phone, but nothing that rings loudly
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 12:25 PM   #20
Jim45678
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 f80

Ive just bought Air Tag I wonder where to hide. I was thinking about hiding it somewhere in the battery area or similar in the trunk. Why there? Because it increases the chance any other apple user coming by will receive the signal from the air tag and report its location.

Its not good to push alarm in the air tag while its stolen - better to keep it calm and find the car. I have insurance and I will install also kill switch but adding additional safety factor what do any harm. its super cheap anyway.

any better ideas besides hiding in the trunk area?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 12:32 PM   #21
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim45678 View Post
Ive just bought Air Tag I wonder where to hide. I was thinking about hiding it somewhere in the battery area or similar in the trunk. Why there? Because it increases the chance any other apple user coming by will receive the signal from the air tag and report its location.

Its not good to push alarm in the air tag while its stolen - better to keep it calm and find the car. I have insurance and I will install also kill switch but adding additional safety factor what do any harm. its super cheap anyway.

any better ideas besides hiding in the trunk area?
I put mine under the rear seat just by the door. You can lift the seat a little just enough to stuff the AirTag under it.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 05:13 PM   #22
rosemont83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 turbo, E39 M5,

Can't you renew the MyBMW app indefinitely?
Appreciate 0