Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-06-2024, 11:54 PM   #1
BigFatRaccoon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 6MT|2016 X5 35i

KW HAS Long Term Reliability

Hi all, I'm sitting at stock height w/ the 437Ms and pretty close to pulling the trigger on some KW HAS for the F80 w/ adaptive suspension based on what other's have said on the forums.

1) How's the long-term reliability? The longest I could find someone be able to speak on them was 5k miles, how do they fare after 30-40k miles? Any owners able to chime in here?

2) I understand they will get softer and dampen less as time goes on, but is it as bad as people make it out to be? I'm not too particular about my dampening and spring rates, just want something that gives a good drop aesthetically and slightly better cornering/handling, I won't be tracking the car at all. If I wanted the best possible ride and modularity, I'd just move to V3s, but at 3x the cost, it doesn't seem to appeal to me unless someone can provide some wisdom why it's worth saving up for them.

3) Any REAL horror stories with strut wear or is it mostly just an understanding that you're putting more wear on the suspension system and something to be aware of?

Last edited by BigFatRaccoon; 04-06-2024 at 11:54 PM.. Reason: added section
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 11:28 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

KW offers top-quality parts, so reliability will not be an issue.

I have used HAS kits on my cars for years (different brands), and never had any issues.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 06:19 PM   #3
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Ride quality and longevity are based on how much you lower your car. If it’s close to what BMW recommends (10-15 mm) then you’ll have decent ride quality and longevity. F8x has limited suspension travel at stock height and BMW uses the bump stops to control suspension travel. However, if you’ve lowered the car by the max amount (30-50 mm) then you’ll constantly be riding on the stiffer (more compressed) portion of the bump stops. This will worsen ride quality and likely reduce the longevity of the dampers. The HAS kits work well if the car isn’t lowered too much and they also allow you to corner balance the car which is a huge advantage over lowering springs.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 09:03 PM   #4
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
I've had mine on my F87 non-EDC struts for 25k miles/2.5 years with no issues at all. I really haven't noticed any degredation in ride quality at all tbh. To be fair tho, I didn't lower it all the way; I've had them set 4 threads from the bottom of the collar on all 4 corners. I've def got my money's worth out of the KW HAS. Although, given how many good things I hear about the MSS HAS, I'd probably go for that instead of the KWs if I had to do it again.
      04-18-2024, 11:54 AM   #5
BigFatRaccoon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 6MT|2016 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsamdar View Post
I've had mine on my F87 non-EDC struts for 25k miles/2.5 years with no issues at all. I really haven't noticed any degredation in ride quality at all tbh. To be fair tho, I didn't lower it all the way; I've had them set 4 threads from the bottom of the collar on all 4 corners. I've def got my money's worth out of the KW HAS. Although, given how many good things I hear about the MSS HAS, I'd probably go for that instead of the KWs if I had to do it again.
Interesting, why would you go MSS over KW?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 08:12 PM   #6
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatRaccoon View Post
Interesting, why would you go MSS over KW?
I literally have never heard any bad things about MSS. Look at some of Evolve’s videos on their products - they seem really advanced for what they are. If I was starting from stock and wanted to keep OEM struts, I’d go for the MSS. Now that my cars getting older though, I want actual coils