R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

05-10-2018, 10:39 AM   #89
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
Look given your other comment, get Camry (or the like, Honda for instance as they drive better or even some SUV which will be easy to sell), save money and get 911 in 3 years......
For the 3 years driving a Camry, OP will hate every single drive

just get a 997.1 S for $35k now instead of a $29k lease expense
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 01:33 PM   #90
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Quote:
Look given your other comment, get Camry (or the like, Honda for instance as they drive better or even some SUV which will be easy to sell), save money and get 911 in 3 years......
For the 3 years driving a Camry, OP will hate every single drive

just get a 997.1 S for $35k now instead of a $29k lease expense
Good idea. What if the engine blows up? Those are affected by some engine failure, ims?
      05-10-2018, 02:30 PM   #91
criderman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by djburkeen View Post
that's surprising to hear, they were pretty aggressive on the price with me.

awesome glad to hear that! yeah im pumped, local dealer has a black f90 m5 with the Silverstone interior and it looks great, the silverstone interior was a large reason I honed in on this m3. and to me black is best color for that interior.
Yeah it surprised me too since I have purchased 4 cars from them! I’m extremely happy with my purchase and it’s good to know that an awesome car is going to a fellow forum member! You will not be disappointed!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 12:20 AM   #92
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Good idea. What if the engine blows up? Those are affected by some engine failure, ims?
997.1 base with 3.6L, but I called out the S with the 3.8L. And there are known ways to address IMS issues.

And you pull the DME and check for mechanical over revs as part of PPI etc etc

But hey, don't let me talk you out of that Camry
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 12:36 PM   #93
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM X3M

Not sure why so much hate on the new S4. Test drove it twice as it's a top 2 contender for my next car (current lease is up in November). Torn between 2018 S4, E90 M3 or a 15/16 F80 M3.

The S4 is light years ahead of BMW in terms of everything OP mentioned. The interior is absolutely stunning and really...most people do not track their car so the argument of sportiness is complete bullshit and fanboy propaganda in this case. The S4 is the more financially solid choice and also a breathe of fresh air for OP as it has a very nice lush factor to it.

Congrats on the purchase and you'll be back on your feet in no time... in the meantime, enjoy the Nappa Seats!!!
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2018, 02:49 PM   #94
f82fanatic
Major
Rep
Drives: iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp4cheddar View Post
Not sure why so much hate on the new S4. Test drove it twice as it's a top 2 contender for my next car (current lease is up in November). Torn between 2018 S4, E90 M3 or a 15/16 F80 M3.

The S4 is light years ahead of BMW in terms of everything OP mentioned. The interior is absolutely stunning and really...most people do not track their car so the argument of sportiness is complete bullshit and fanboy propaganda in this case. The S4 is the more financially solid choice and also a breathe of fresh air for OP as it has a very nice lush factor to it.

Congrats on the purchase and you'll be back on your feet in no time... in the meantime, enjoy the Nappa Seats!!!
I have to strongly disagree on the sportiness point. Sportiness makes a huge difference in driving connection with the car. I don't need to be doing laps to appreciate and actually feel all these things. I don't even care if the car is faster or slower around the track.

All the sporty details (stiffness of the ride, exhaust noise, aggressiveness of the engine response/throttle) make a huge difference for me. And they make a difference to my wife as well, who complains about them every single time she gets into the car...

It's obviously a matter of opinion, as many things in life. What's right for you might not be for others. However, I'll take these amazing features any day vis-à-vis the excellent Audi interior/navi / other cool features (which I actually do like a lot).

My 2 cents
Appreciate 3
r0wr583.00
      05-13-2018, 12:03 PM   #95
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by f82fanatic View Post
I have to strongly disagree on the sportiness point. Sportiness makes a huge difference in driving connection with the car. I don't need to be doing laps to appreciate and actually feel all these things. I don't even care if the car is faster or slower around the track.

All the sporty details (stiffness of the ride, exhaust noise, aggressiveness of the engine response/throttle) make a huge difference for me. And they make a difference to my wife as well, who complains about them every single time she gets into the car...

It's obviously a matter of opinion, as many things in life. What's right for you might not be for others. However, I'll take these amazing features any day vis-à-vis the excellent Audi interior/navi / other cool features (which I actually do like a lot).

My 2 cents
there is no right or wrong answer here.

I myself have been driving over a decade of M3's....e46, then an e90 M3, then a F80 M15. Driving dynamics, performance, handling, etc, etc, where just to die for. I don't think Audi will ever touch it in that regard.

But I've been driving my S4 for over a week, and although power and handling are not on par, it is PLENTY good for a DD or a quick twisty like the highway off ramps or taking a sharp corner in streets. I've done it, and plenty fine. The acceleration and power is not M3 category, but it's not a yugo either ... and tiptronic is not even close to a DCT, but it's pretty fast and plenty good.

If staying with the performance and handling was my highest priority right now, I would've stayed in the M3 even if at a higher price, but I'm satisfied with the "overall" performance the S4 is giving me at a lower cost factor, and I happen to spend the bulk of my time INSIDE the car, not on the track or outside looking at it, and when I'm driving I cannot stop admiring the virtual cockpit, the seats, the media sound performance, the massage features, and the rest on my S4.

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 1
trey1001125.00
      05-17-2018, 05:26 PM   #96
UGADawgFan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GT3, B9 S4, E92 M3, G05

For the love of god people, stop comparing the S4 and M3. S4 absolutely spanks the current generation of the 340i M Sport. I absolutely loathe the F3X 3/4 series. Chintzy cheap interior (especially in the more basic forms), motors that are grumpy sounding (4 cylinder turbo), and tragic and downright awful steering feel. Outside of efficiency and technology, I strongly feel that BMW took a step back from the E9X generation with the F3X.

The new A4 is leaps and bounds better than the current 3 series, lets see how BMW steps it up with the next gen.

M3 and S4 are not competitors.

My 2 cents ... lol /rant.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 12:30 AM   #97
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Honestly in a similar position since my lease ended right when M3 production ended until the G80 models and trying to lease something that's on the lot (1) doesn't meet exactly what I want and (2) lease prices are crazy (comparatively to what I have now) and are asking A LOT down.

I'm buying my '15 M3 out, going to put on the LCI taillights, and sell in a year or so when I can get my hands on a G80 M3 lease.

I looked at the S4/S5 and know that I'd be disappointed even thought it would be newer than my M3.
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 12:57 AM   #98
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
Honestly in a similar position since my lease ended right when M3 production ended until the G80 models and trying to lease something that's on the lot (1) doesn't meet exactly what I want and (2) lease prices are crazy (comparatively to what I have now) and are asking A LOT down.

I'm buying my '15 M3 out, going to put on the LCI taillights, and sell in a year or so when I can get my hands on a G80 M3 lease.

I looked at the S4/S5 and know that I'd be disappointed even thought it would be newer than my M3.
G80 is minimum 2 years away, most likely more. X3M with S58 will soon be an option.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 01:21 AM   #99
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
Quote:

G80 is minimum 2 years away, most likely more. X3M with S58 will soon be an option.
I thought it was to be released as a MY2020 (so mid 2019 release). Would BMW really stop M3 production for over 2 years (not being sarcastic, honestly curious)?

If that's the case then I'd still be happy holding on to my '15 M3 as BMW will have not done much to out-date it, especially if I put a bit of money into cosmetic and performance upgrades.
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 02:05 AM   #100
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I thought it was to be released as a MY2020 (so mid 2019 release). Would BMW really stop M3 production for over 2 years (not being sarcastic, honestly curious)?

If that's the case then I'd still be happy holding on to my '15 M3 as BMW will have not done much to out-date it, especially if I put a bit of money into cosmetic and performance upgrades.
It is all speculation. If they are follow normal timelines, the G80 M3 is well over 2 years away. However there has been some talk that BMW is trying to shorten the gap between M models. I've seen a few say G80 will debut at Frankfurt Auto Show Sept 2019, which would put the G80 at US dealers no earlier than Spring/Summer 2020. Only problem I see with that, is the F82 M4 is remaining in production until Oct 2020. If history continues, the G8x M3/M4 will share front end design. So I just don't see how the G80 can start production anytime before the F82 ends production.
Appreciate 1
SaMaster144320.50
      05-28-2018, 08:09 AM   #101
f82fanatic
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post
Quote:

My 2 cents
there is no right or wrong answer here.

I myself have been driving over a decade of M3's....e46, then an e90 M3, then a F80 M15. Driving dynamics, performance, handling, etc, etc, where just to die for. I don't think Audi will ever touch it in that regard.

But I've been driving my S4 for over a week, and although power and handling are not on par, it is PLENTY good for a DD or a quick twisty like the highway off ramps or taking a sharp corner in streets. I've done it, and plenty fine. The acceleration and power is not M3 category, but it's not a yugo either ... and tiptronic is not even close to a DCT, but it's pretty fast and plenty good.

If staying with the performance and handling was my highest priority right now, I would've stayed in the M3 even if at a higher price, but I'm satisfied with the "overall" performance the S4 is giving me at a lower cost factor, and I happen to spend the bulk of my time INSIDE the car, not on the track or outside looking at it, and when I'm driving I cannot stop admiring the virtual cockpit, the seats, the media sound performance, the massage features, and the rest on my S4.

You have a great new car and am sure you are loving it! I think it was a better fit for what you were looking for.

Any updates on how you are liking it after a few weeks of ownership?

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 08:13 AM   #102
f82fanatic
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGADawgFan View Post
For the love of god people, stop comparing the S4 and M3. S4 absolutely spanks the current generation of the 340i M Sport. I absolutely loathe the F3X 3/4 series. Chintzy cheap interior (especially in the more basic forms), motors that are grumpy sounding (4 cylinder turbo), and tragic and downright awful steering feel. Outside of efficiency and technology, I strongly feel that BMW took a step back from the E9X generation with the F3X.

The new A4 is leaps and bounds better than the current 3 series, lets see how BMW steps it up with the next gen.

M3 and S4 are not competitors.

My 2 cents ... lol /rant.
I understand your point, but comparing M3 to S4 was literally what the post was asking for... so that's what we did...

And to further your point about the interior, after 3 years of M4 ownership I already feel very tired of it. That's why I ordered the full interior on my incoming M3.

I wish the M3 interior looked like the Audi ones though.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 09:19 AM   #103
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:
You have a great new car and am sure you are loving it! I think it was a better fit for what you were looking for.

Any updates on how you are liking it after a few weeks of ownership?

1 month, 1000 miles on it... some thoughts:
  • i LOVE this car as a daily driver. It's just phenomenal... smooth ride, fast enough for when needed to pass a car or do a spirited run, all the comfort and technology I could ask for.
  • The interior is by far the nicest i've owned. I've had a loaded 2015 X5, my F80 M3, e90 M3, and few others, but NOTHING touches the interior of this thing. The seats are amazing, great checkered high quality leather, massage features, powered side bolsters, etc. The Virtual Cockpit is outstanding! the online search and destinations is great. Connectivity to my phone, and apple car play are well executed. I can't comment enough on the interior quality and technology of this car.
  • The looks from the outside is a bit of a downer compared to the M3. It's nowhere near as aggressive, and I cannot get over the small ass tired/rims on it... the offsets are so crappy that I cannot put any decent rim (et + 40) or a tire larger than a 265 on them, so that is a huge CON for me
  • Gas mileage is suprisingly poor... haven't done much highway traveling, but in the city it's only 2-3 mpg better than my M3, and that's without driving aggressively.
  • Does not have the status, presence, and the bystander "oh nice" type of looks l used to get with the M3... expected, but it's a bit funny that it looks almost identical to a regular A4
  • I already have a couple of rim rashes on it, LMAO! stupid rain in florida, went thru a flooded patch trying to avoid eht deep part, and ended up hitting the curb

All and all, I'm happy so far. Do I miss my M3? ABSOLUTELY! the power, driving dynamics, and road feel are sorely missed...and not being able to go to the track is another bummer.

Am I happy with the switch? without a doubt! temporary change, trying something different, AMAZING daily driver and interior, save some money until the G80 comes out, and enjoy the sound system and tech gadgets (Virtual Cockpit, etc) tremendously.

good decision all things considered.

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 4
f82fanatic1043.00
IM2C2065.00
'Cane8349.50