GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #67
tony2tone
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: AW F20 LCI

strange they still dont have the full LED taillights and turnsignals on a f3x. and defintely not going to pay an extra 2500 Euros on a 62k car
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #68
tony2tone
Netherlands
Rep

strange they still dont have the full LED taillights and turnsignals on a f3x. and defintely not going to pay an extra 2500 Euros on a 62k car
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #69
tony2tone
Netherlands
Rep

imo they should standard fit the 320i with dual exhaust too
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 04:18 PM   #70
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
Yeah.. from a friend I met through boards who goes by V12. I'll send you a PM. he took my 2014 M5 and Brit 2014 M5 with the LEDs and worked backwards through the differences to figure out where the specific coding for adaptive LEDs exists, and then re-enabled it for US spec cars.

most coding is easy... however the adaptive LED light changes are bit more tricky (for instance how they label the "enlarged town lighting" shown in the -- not an easy or direct from German). Im sure others will crack it, but not sure if the info on how to fully enable these lighting features has made the coding sections of the forums.'

Full LED adaptive coding enables this feature, and its amazing:

You've pretty much just sold me on getting LEDs with that video lol
      02-10-2014, 04:22 PM   #71
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
You've pretty much just sold me on getting LEDs with that video lol
The Xenons have these functions as well. Some of the F3X guys already have these features enabled.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 04:27 PM   #72
greekcs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

My fathers '14 F10 has xenons/brother in laws has LED. The the only difference I can see is the color temperature.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 04:52 PM   #73
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 5 different 3 Series

Vanity feature.

I'd rather buy another watch with that money............................sarcasm....

Seriously though, I rather just have Xenons. Xenon is huge upgrade over halogen, but LED is not much of an upgrade over xenon.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 05:17 PM   #74
Saphirschwarz
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
Vanity feature.

I'd rather buy another watch with that money............................sarcasm....

Seriously though, I rather just have Xenons. Xenon is huge upgrade over halogen, but LED is not much of an upgrade over xenon.
I already got a watch..... Let's have those LED then !!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 05:25 PM   #75
Rse1
Rep
Drives: 120d

Still those pathetic halogen brakelights and rear turnsignals!!@
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 05:32 PM   #76
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
if bmw is going to charge a premium to get LED lights, it should be all-encompassing and include the tail lights as well

having said that i'm most definitely going to get the LED package just b/c i'm a sucker for LED lights
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 05:33 PM   #77
x5love
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rse1 View Post
Still those pathetic halogen brakelights and rear turnsignals!!@
Since the E46, BMW has been giving us halogen bulbs ine the taillights pre facelift, and then LEDs for the facelift.

3 generations later, they're still doing this, while manufacturers from Toyota to Mercedes all offer LEDs in their tail lights from the start of production.

I don't get it. Come on BMW.
      02-10-2014, 05:50 PM   #78
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5love View Post
Since the E46, BMW has been giving us halogen bulbs ine the taillights pre facelift, and then LEDs for the facelift.

3 generations later, they're still doing this, while manufacturers from Toyota to Mercedes all offer LEDs in their tail lights from the start of production.

I don't get it. Come on BMW.
Creatures of habit. They haven't changed and we all know the game. I suppose it's pointless to complain. It's like having a g/f that you know will experience horrible gas every time she eats ice cream, and you still choose to date her despite the fact that you know she will not give up the dairy laden treat. You have two choices: suck it up and deal with the gas (..i.e...the LCI philosophy) or find another chick to date (..i.e...switch manufacturers if LED tail lamps are that important).

Like I've stated many times.....

...I'd rather have an easily replaceable incandescent bulb. Burnt out LED's in tail lamps are an eyesore. I've seen countless E46's with them, and even my old G35 experienced burnt out diodes (..as have many other Infiniti cars).
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 06:24 PM   #79
outie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Taycan GTS

Garage List
I have a F10 LCI with LED headlight. Honestly the new LED does not provide significantly more illumination than HID Xenons I have on my M3. The LED is also bluer which could get a little uncomfortable. If the pavement is new (really black), the bluer LED will illuminate less than regular Xenon.

You can justify your $1900 option all you want, but it just does not offer significant advantage over standard HID.
      02-10-2014, 06:36 PM   #80
Bahn360Photo
Fitness Gene
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
2006 bmw m5  [10.00]
2016 bmw z4 35is  [7.50]
2000 bmw m5  [10.00]
2018 BMW M4  [10.00]
1987 BMW 325 Conver ...  [10.00]
nice info, thanks

Effective 11 Min Home Workouts?????
No equipment?????
20 years of experience
Spartan Race winner
PROtrainer!
Click the link??
https://www.youtube.com/c/FitnessGene
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 06:36 PM   #81
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Full LED adaptive coding enables this feature, and its amazing:
A good friend of mine works for BMW AG... we drove around at night in a new 740d with these dynamic LED's. I was totally blown away!! This is "State of the Art" when it comes to driving at night.

Basically the car keeps the high beams on all the time, but it can "black out" the area around a car in front of you! Therefor not blinding that car. And the LED lights can do this with on coming and traffic traveling the same direction, multiple targets. Its quite cool, to see in action. On the seven series you can also get the "pencil spot light" for pedestrians. Basically the car uses its infrarot(heat sensing) camera to talk to the headlights pc, then the 7er has what looks like fog lights but are actually pencil strobe lights to light up anything that tries to cross in front of the car from the side of the road. Its truly a life saver.

See my post #15 for more videos on this technology...
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847496#

Quote:
Yeah.. from a friend I met through boards who goes by V12. I'll send you a PM. he took my 2014 M5 and Brit 2014 M5 with the LEDs and worked backwards through the differences to figure out where the specific coding for adaptive LEDs exists, and then re-enabled it for US spec cars.

most coding is easy... however the adaptive LED light changes are bit more tricky (for instance how they label the "enlarged town lighting" shown in the -- not an easy or direct from German). Im sure others will crack it, but not sure if the info on how to fully enable these lighting features has made the coding sections of the forums.'
Yup! BMW first started to play around with AHL on the e60. I have actually had my 135i coded to "euro" AHL specs. That means at low speeds(under 100 kph) the low beam xenons point to each side of the road. The drives headlight points lower than the passenger side. Then when velhicle speed increas the headlights move to the straight ahead position. Also when you turn on the high beams, the EU car put out MORE light! This is all done via coding. See the BMW AG diagram bellow for more info.

Name:  AHL coding Lichtverteilung_AHL.JPG
Views: 4669
Size:  774.0 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
No LED tail lamps until LCI, and no....the xenons do not have LED turn signals.

The F32 - just like the F30 - has LED light bars in the tail lamps, but does not have LED brake lights. The turn signals aren't LED either.
I believe ALL F3x cars have LED front turn signals. At least every F3x, I have seen has front LED's. The tail lights still use a regular bulb though. The tail lamps are what everyone is what everyone has been complaining about. BMW knows they made a mistake on this topic - and I hear they will be correcting it soon.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #82
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

I believe ALL F3x cars have LED front turn signals. At least every F3x, I have seen has front LED's. The tail lights still use a regular bulb though. The tail lamps are what everyone is what everyone has been complaining about. BMW knows they made a mistake on this topic - and I hear they will be correcting it soon.
I don't know what F3X's you've seen, but I haven't seen one F3X that has LED turn signals - mine included, and I have a nearly full optioned '14 335i - unless it's an LED equipped F32 435i. We have LED light bars and LED corona rings, but we do not have LED turn signals; it's an orange bulb (..and if you search the F30 forums, you'll find that Phillips Silvervision bulbs are the common replacement for the 'egg yolk' yellow bulb). Our tail lamps have LED light bars just like every other modern BMW without the LCI LED treatment. Maybe it's different in the European market, but our North American cars do not have them.

This is our North American F30 headlamp. There is clearly and orange bulb there.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 02-10-2014 at 06:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 06:53 PM   #83
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
The Xenons have these functions as well. Some of the F3X guys already have these features enabled.
I am not convinced that the technology presented in the video can be fully replicated with xenon projectors. My understanding is that a LED projector headlight is composed of multiple arrays of LEDs that each have their own reflector lens. By turning on and off these arrays of LED in different combinations you can project different light patterns. This is simply not possible with a xenon projector. This later feature combined with pivoting up/down/left/right of the four individual LED projectors is what allows the light patterns to be precisely controlled.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 06:55 PM   #84
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I am not convinced that the technology presented in the video can be fully replicated with xenon projectors. My understanding is that a LED projector headlight is composed of multiple arrays of LEDs that each have their own reflector lens. By turning on and off these arrays of LED in different combinations you can project different light patterns. This is simply not possible with a xenon projector. This later feature combined with pivoting up/down/left/right of the four individual LED projectors is what allows the light patterns to be precisely controlled.
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=884103

See post #17 of that thread (...and start reading from post #11 onward; we have the capability with the xenons). The video posted is of a coded car in Seattle. You can see how active the Xenon bulb is and how it dynamically readjusts the light pattern.

Here's a quote from one of the guys who coded their cars.....

Quote:
Going above 25 MPH would enable HBA. Unlike what i stated previously about the HBA being "dumb" by only turning on/off both high beams at slow speed, my observations tonight showed that as long as the HBA is engaged, it's a "smart" system. Based on the camera, the HBA determines when and how to adjust the headlights. On several occasions tonight on a 2-lane road, the HBA would turn off the left high beam while leaving the right high beam on when it detected vehicles approaching from the opposite direction. So this ability to individually control high beams works at slow speed as well as at highway speed.
and here is another about the 'tunneling' feature that you're referring to with the LED's. It is, in fact, part of the xenon assembly as well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Yes, you have the hardware, but you haven't seen tunneling because it is disabled. You need to remove these and code car:

S5APA Decodierung blendfr. Fernlicht Assistent Decode antiglare High-beam Assistant
S8S4A Decodierung variable Lichtverteilung Decoding variable light distribution

...and another

Quote:
Originally Posted by orma View Post
So...the adaptive lights work great. At first I didn't think I had properly enabled them but once I got up to around 45mph, I could clearly see them make "tunnels" around other cars so as not to blind drivers, and turn off high beams on one side or the other, depending on the situation.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 02-10-2014 at 07:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 06:58 PM   #85
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
Quote:
Xenons are standard. I'm assuming that you meant LED's.
I think he meant standard by regulation.
I meant standard xenons by regulation for all cars....or at least all cars over 30k....
      02-10-2014, 07:08 PM   #86
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
I don't know what F3X's you've seen, but I haven't seen one F3X that has LED turn signals - mine included, and I have a nearly full optioned '14 335i - unless it's an LED equipped F32 435i. We have LED light bars and LED corona rings, but we do not have LED turn signals; it's an orange bulb (..and if you search the F30 forums, you'll find that Phillips Silvervision bulbs are the common replacement for the 'egg yolk' yellow bulb). Our tail lamps have LED light bars just like every other modern BMW without the LCI LED treatment. Maybe it's different in the European market, but our North American cars do not have them.

Perhaps I am thinking of LED equipped cars. Although I though even on Xenon cars you got front LED turn signals. I'm gonna have to look into this. Its late over here and I am tired. Sorry, I can't be of any more help on this topic.

Dack

PS: Here are some LED lights that DO have front LED turn signals... These were taken at the 4er press intro in Lisbon this summer.
Name:  P1060526.jpg
Views: 2899
Size:  193.7 KB

Name:  P1060523.jpg
Views: 2780
Size:  139.8 KB

Name:  P1060586.jpg
Views: 4046
Size:  98.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 07:10 PM   #87
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Perhaps I am thinking of LED equipped cars. Although I though even on Xenon cars you got front LED turn signals. I'm gonna have to look into this. Its late over here and I am tired. Sorry, I can't be of any more help on this topic.

Dack

PS: Here are some LED lights that DO have front LED turn signals... These were taken at the 4er press intro in Lisbon this summer.
Attachment 976639

Attachment 976640

Attachment 976641

Yes, the 4 has an LED option, thus an LED turn signal. The F30 does not.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #88
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
With my currrent Xenons, I can see the road ahead, the shoulder, the ditch...I mean my lord! How much more illuminated area do you guys need?

Msybe the next M3 should also come with a spotlight as a $1,900 option.
Appreciate 0