Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

07-24-2017, 02:17 PM   #111
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsch View Post
They're using the ZF8 in the new M5 because it's smoother and more optimally geared. Without doing any research, I'd say VERY few people track their M5s. Therefore, a faster shifting DCT won't be needed nor very beneficial for street usage. I had the ZF8 in my previous 435. I considered it quick only while upshifting in auto mode WOT. Manual, as well as auto gear changes were slow as molasses compared to the M-DCT.
I had posted this before on more than one occasion, but it is because there are no longitudinal mounted dct's in the market that can handle any more torque.
BMS site for the M5:
"For those running a DCT transmission we've found the factory clutch packs are only good for around 640whp before they start slipping. If you are planning for more power than this plan to upgrade to Dodson clutch packs sooner or later"

Getrag, the maker of our DCT's, makes DCT's for Ferrari as well. BMW is switching to ZF because the cost of producing a brand new DCT that can be warrantied for long term and driven smoothly is expensive and production cars cannot simply install clutch packs to remedy the problem.

As far as the ZF, I have a X5M and driven many many other ZF's on bmw's including owning a regular x5 for 3 years with the 8 speed. The zf on the x5m is completely re-programmed and the shift speeds are as fast if not faster than the dct on 1 gear shifts up or down shifts.

The problem with the zf is multi gear down shifts, which it may not be consistent. Also, with even single gear down shifts in S3, the shift may sometimes be very harsh, seems like the gear is just dropped.

Another problem is throttle modulation, the DCT snaps gears quickly, the
ZF will modulate the throttle very momentarily during gear changes especially during >7/10's driving. The gears will shift quickly, but the driving experience suffers, car seems to lag very very briefly during a shift, does not snap into gear like a manual or dct would.

The most important thing for a gear box to me, is to be totally consistent and reliable. Unfortunately, while the ZF is very, very close to imitating the dct but it does not provide same driving pleasure as a dct or manual.

For the most of us, it won't matter because we don't notice the details, nor do we track our cars. Certainly, almost all real sports cars have dct's for a reason.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S

Last edited by dkhm3; 07-24-2017 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 2
CanAutM321116.50
      07-24-2017, 02:37 PM   #112
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I am curious to see the if the next gen M3/4 will maintain DCT or will go wiht a planetary auto.
Hey Can, since this thread is jacked anyway, I recently switched out the rears on my car to 295 on the M5. It is unbelievable how the car just sticks on turns, as I'm sure you already know.

My question is I left the fronts 255 vs 265 MO spec you suggested. Will it have any DSC issues on hard driving? I had more than 50% left on the tread. Any other detrimental things I should be aware of? Thanks.

Tire bulge is pretty damn nice too:

Name:  IMG_2555.JPG
Views: 557
Size:  151.3 KB

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 02:40 PM   #113
Kung Fu English
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP MG/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mikey F80 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
Why is it hard to imagine it has Ferrari DNA. Alfa QV suspiciously shares bore and stroke measurements with the eight cylinder Ferrari California T sans 2 less cylinders. Ferrari engineers were obviously involved in QV development.
They put resources into the QV (Unlike the 4c) and QV is not perfect but has the potential to be a great car. I am sitting out the first year but would seriously consider a 2nd yr or 3rd yr car if the quirks gets worked out.

QV has faster, better steering than M3 and rides more comfortably. I am on BMW train too but you've got to admit when a rival is an equal or maybe better. This is the same rubbish we heard when GTR came out from 911 Guys. First there is denial, then reality sets in and then acceptance :-)

Guess what, Porsche was better for the GTR competition and actually made much better cars since the GTR and you can thank the GTR for that. BMW needs to take the Alfa seriously. I am sick of the awful exhaust noise, numb steering, fork over $$$$ for ZCP for better handling car when the car should come from factory that way - unacceptable.
The things we blindly accept from BMW and they get away with it all the time because we stay sileint. Serious competition will change that..

Alfa interior is still rubbish, cheap and reliability is a huge question mark if they improve just a little bit and get things sorted out, some of us will jump ship for sure and i know and few people like me that are just waiting for the right time to do so. I still have my other BMW i will still drive but I can appreciate an effort from Alfa.
I think you missed my point, but that might have been my fault...

I'm not saying it's hard to imagine it has Ferrari DNA, I know that it does. What I'm saying is ridiculous is that this Alfa drivetrain is universally praised as amazing, seemingly only because of the fact that it has Ferrari DNA. It sounds just as bad (again, in my opinion) as the F80 does, a reason that has been given time and time again by reviewers of the F80 when they speak on the negatives of the car, but where are those same comments in these reviews about the Alfa? It makes more horsepower yes, but obviously not enough to make a difference on the track. Basically, what I'm saying is that it seems like just because there is Ferrari DNA in the QV, that the reviewers are ignoring the same stuff they sh!t on the F80 for.

The Alfa is a great car, and it's competition like this and the others that have upped their game in recent years that has me excited. I'm hoping BMW doesn't just sit there and write them off, and actually try to raise the bar. It will make for truly amazing M cars if they do. I'm all for competition

///Mike

Yes it's infuriating. They do these reviews, ignore the negatives of the Alfa completely and just gloss over them and say "it's fine because it feels good". If they do list negatives, it's things that the BMW does really well (interior, infotainment, offering a 6mt) but even in a direct comparison article never mention the fact the things they dislike on the Alfa is available or better on the m3.

Best example is I think the motortrend video they compared m3/qv/atsv. They spent like 5 minutes complaining about the lack of a 6mt option on the Alfa and how it's available in Europe and should be in the us.

But then they didn't even once mention the m3 is offered in a 6mt for less money. They did however complain about the m3s price.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 03:00 PM   #114
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
Hey Can, since this thread is jacked anyway, I recently switched out the rears on my car to 295 on the M5. It is unbelievable how the car just sticks on turns, as I'm sure you already know.

My question is I left the fronts 255 vs 265 MO spec you suggested. Will it have any DSC issues on hard driving? I had more than 50% left on the tread. Any other detrimental things I should be aware of? Thanks.

Tire bulge is pretty damn nice too:

Attachment 1662498
Yes it will affect DSC calibration. Traction control should be slightly less intrusive since you are increasing the front-to-rear diameter stagger. Once you'll switch to the 265/35R19(M0), you'll like it even more .

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
dkhm31881.50
      07-24-2017, 03:30 PM   #115
Motorsportenterprise
Banned
Rep
Drives: Turbo/NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsch View Post
They're using the ZF8 in the new M5 because it's smoother and more optimally geared. Without doing any research, I'd say VERY few people track their M5s. Therefore, a faster shifting DCT won't be needed nor very beneficial for street usage. I had the ZF8 in my previous 435. I considered it quick only while upshifting in auto mode WOT. Manual, as well as auto gear changes were slow as molasses compared to the M-DCT.
I thought the article with Peter Quintus stated that they were moving to auto in the new M5 and likely the next m3/4 were primarily due to concerns over longevity and durability linked to power output. He also happened to mention he thinks that the autos have gotten to the point where the shift times and weight are no longer advantages of dual cltuches.
To me, it sounds like they are choosing the cheaper road here since anyone who's driven any of them (and I've driven the Alfa QV) knows the zf8 is not as good as a dual clutch.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 12:44 PM   #116
MacaoM3NJ
Private
Rep
Drives: Macao Blue 30 Jahre M3

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 10:14 AM   #117
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Final Part (3):

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 05:34 AM   #118
Bavboy
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2016 M 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kung Fu English View Post
Yes it's infuriating. They do these reviews, ignore the negatives of the Alfa completely and just gloss over them and say "it's fine because it feels good". If they do list negatives, it's things that the BMW does really well (interior, infotainment, offering a 6mt) but even in a direct comparison article never mention the fact the things they dislike on the Alfa is available or better on the m3.

Best example is I think the motortrend video they compared m3/qv/atsv. They spent like 5 minutes complaining about the lack of a 6mt option on the Alfa and how it's available in Europe and should be in the us.

But then they didn't even once mention the m3 is offered in a 6mt for less money. They did however complain about the m3s price.
Are these types of vehicles purchased for "interior and navigation units" ?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 05:46 AM   #119
Kung Fu English
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP MG/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavboy View Post
Well I'd argue that since you spend 100% of your time in the interior and much of the things you actually do in the vehicle have to do with interfacing with the infotainment, yes, these vehicles are purchased for "interior and navigation units", among other things. When the performance and driving experience is so close, it's the other things that you compare.

But congrats on your auto and push button brake pedal. Some driving experience you got there!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 03:36 AM   #120
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

How old are you? What do you drive?

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 08:16 AM   #121
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Ohh boy. Getting bavboy started again I see. He doesn't own any of these cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 09:36 AM   #122
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Ohh boy. Getting bavboy started again I see. He doesn't own any of these cars.
I believe he was banned for life. Claimed he has 3 Alfas and a Maserati
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0