Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

02-19-2024, 05:24 PM   #1
BimmerBimmerChickenDinner
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Cool Sidelights/DRL Malfunction - TMS Module Short Circuiting

Hey everyone ,

I've just recently bought a BMW M4 at auction after wanting one for years, it of course came with a couple of problems which I've all fixed apart from the last remaining issue (that I know of anyway ) and as I've been pulling my hair out over the last few weeks I thought I'd give this a try in case anyone else has had the same or a similar issue.

Basically, the right bi-xenon non adaptive headlight (driver side) doesn't light up in terms of the angel-eyes when either the sidelights or drls are on, all other lighting functions are working, previously the turn signal on this side also didn't work but a new module and/or software update via ista seemed to solve that...

I've done the usual bits such as checked the fuses, tried a new aftermarket tms module which threw up more errors and didn't fix the light, I've also fitted new oem led modules as the current ones were badly corroded when I removed them from the housing (was sure replacing these would be the fix) although I didn't do any coding afterwards but did run a couple of ista service functions such as the initialisation process etc with a plan to try the coding later, a few days later I carried out a complete software update via ISTA which took approx 6 hours and it apparently successfully coded the FEM etc so I assume this would've done whatever I was supposed to do automatically fem coding wise after replacing the led modules? When none of that worked, I switched over the TMS Module and headlight ballast from my working light to accompany the new led modules etc and still the problematic light wouldn't light up (drl + sidelight wise anyway) and the working light which now had the parts from the broken light still lit up much to my surprise, I've also looked at the wiring and connections and can't see anything untoward so it seems there isn't really a problem hardware wise but software wise - is there any additional config or coding I missed or that I'd have to do after replacing the likes of LED Modules which ISTA wouldn't have performed as part of the complete software update?

Sorry for the long message, any advice would be greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 05:30 PM   #2
Rep

Oh btw, also when first turning the ignition on the angel eyes seem to flash on for a split second, the actual error code which was showing in ista was '804201 - Right headlight engine control unit module (TMS): Daytime running light or sidelight has a short circuit.'

Last edited by BimmerBimmerChickenDinner; 02-19-2024 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 05:41 AM   #3
Rep

Update: fixed this myself after a lot of blood, sweat and tears, can't seem to close this post though
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 06:00 PM   #4
kaminokok
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30

I have the exact same problem, how did you fix it buddy?
Appreciate 0