Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

03-11-2024, 07:50 PM   #1
Pete.J
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT (F82)

Garage List
Coding to prevent DSC from turning ON when the car is airborne

As per the title, has anyone figured out or discovered the coding to prevent the DSC from automatically turning ON, when the car jumps with all wheels off the ground as per the below photo?

A bit of background, we race a F82 M4 in a national series, in Group 3E Series Production Cars.

We have turned off, tested and studied all 286 different parameters in the CAFD file for DSC module, and none of them affect this function. The DSC is updated to the latest I-LEVEL, and coded to F82_GTS as well heaps more stuff changed from the stock coding to improve brake linearity, ABS engagement... etc. (in total we have about 40 different parameters changed in the DSC coding, compared to stock regular F8x street car. Everything has been tested and verified by two professional GT3 Pro drivers. Compared to before, we got rid of that understeer when trail braking into the corner and now you can really trail brake very deep into a corner, which is very cool, and threshold braking in now x10 better with minimal ABS intervention. I may offer this coding as a service one day, but that's not the topic of this thread).

My bet now, is that this behaviour where the DSC turns on by itself when the car is airborne, is either controlled by the ICM (Integrated Chassis Management) OR the ACSM (Active Crash Safety Management) modules. One of these two modules is detecting that the car is airborne, and thinks you're about to have an accident. In an attempt to brace for impact, it fully switches ON the DSC (from being completely OFF previously).

This behaviour only takes place when all 4 wheels are off the ground, if only one, two or three wheels are off the ground, this issue doesn't occur.

The car has custom competition coilovers, no ride height sensors are installed (EDC is coded off too), so it must be the ICM's internal G sensor that's detecting that the car is airborne and reporting this information on the CANBUS. The DSC gets switched ON immediately after (note, in F series cars, it's the ICM that has the built-in G sensors, and feeds this data to the DSC and the rest of the car's modules. On the older E series cars, there used to be a standalone G sensor installed under the passenger seat that's wired directly to the DSC).

I know what I am asking is a longshot to be found on a hobbyist public forum, but if anyone has came across this before, or has any ideas we could try, that would be greatly appreciated.

Photo credit: JF Musial Instagram
Driver: Chris Harris
Car: 2016 BMW M2 F87 N55

Last edited by Pete.J; 03-11-2024 at 11:22 PM..
Appreciate 0