Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

09-18-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

BMW "Owners Choice"

Anyone have any insight on 'Owners Choice'? This is something they will start offering in GA OCT. 1 as we have bad tax laws on leases like TX and IL. It seems to be a mix between a BMW Select Loan and a Lease. My CA sufgested i look into it but looking for anyone who has used it.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 05:02 PM   #2
hankcah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I'm curious as well. I do see this page http://www.laurelbmw.com/Owners-Choice but I still have a ton of questions. And not sure if it's a lease/OC question or just OC question.

Let's say a lease if $500/mo and OC is $400. After 36 month term, with same miles, how do they calculate the value of the cars? Is it simply just an easier payment through some tax contract? Compared to paying taxes twice with a lease, you just pay once with the OC?

If a car is $50k, and you make OC payments for $20k, are you still faced with financing $30k? Are residuals usually higher or lower than 30k?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 01:50 PM   #3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 (M3)

I'm on one now w my 535. Its basically a balloon loan finance program. But is similar to a lease. However, Unlike a lease, the car is titled in your name. I bought the car when living in IL and its a great way to avoid double tax situation in IL as well as the absurd Chicago lease tax. I believe the residuals are the same as a traditional lease but the interest rate is a bit higher. W owners choice there is an actual interest rate (which is negotiable) and not a money factor. Same idea--just different terminology.

You may want to check out the penfed credit union auto saver program. Don't know the details but people on this forum seem to be fans and it sounds like it works in a similar capacity to owners choice
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 01:57 PM   #4
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8042 View Post
I'm on one now w my 535. Its basically a balloon loan finance program. But is similar to a lease. However, Unlike a lease, the car is titled in your name. I bought the car when living in IL and its a great way to avoid double tax situation in IL as well as the absurd Chicago lease tax. I believe the residuals are the same as a traditional lease but the interest rate is a bit higher. W owners choice there is an actual interest rate (which is negotiable) and not a money factor. Same idea--just different terminology.

You may want to check out the penfed credit union auto saver program. Don't know the details but people on this forum seem to be fans and it sounds like it works in a similar capacity to owners choice
With Owners choice you have the option to return the car like a lease, correct? I think that's the biggest difference between this and 'PenFed Payment Saver' || 'BMW Select'.

Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 02:27 PM   #5
Siciliano611
Major
Rep
Drives: SMB M6GC

dmk, which option are you doing with financing?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 02:29 PM   #6
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siciliano611 View Post
dmk, which option are you doing with financing?
Owners choice if I have a return option like a lease. It is a first year model after all. Otherwise PenFed Payment Saver.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 11:13 PM   #7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 (M3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8042 View Post

With Owners choice you have the option to return the car like a lease, correct? I think that's the biggest difference between this and 'PenFed Payment Saver' || 'BMW Select'.

Thanks for the info.
Yep. You can return like a lease. Which is what I'll be doing. 535 m sport w manual trans has been awesome but time to get back to m3/4 convert
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 01:11 AM   #8
Eric500
um...
Rep
Drives: LC500

Is it required to get another BMW if you turn in for owner's choice? the language is unclear to me... it says you can, but do they really mean if you want to treat it like a "lease" you must get another BMW?
      01-27-2015, 07:38 AM   #9
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Tsang View Post
Is it required to get another BMW if you turn in for owner's choice? the language is unclear to me... it says you can, but do they really mean if you want to treat it like a "lease" you must get another BMW?
No you can turn it in but you have to pay that same lease turn in fee.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 05:24 PM   #10
rkcarter12
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Mineral Grey

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Here is an example of an Owners Choice deal in GA:
39 Months/10,000
MSRP $70,575
Sales Price $66,947
Tax $4,632
Cash on Delivery $2,000
Monthly (inc tax) $825

As mentioned above, Owners Choice gives you the option to turn it in at the end of the term, or refinance the baloon payment.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 08:54 PM   #11
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarter12 View Post
Here is an example of an Owners Choice deal in GA:
39 Months/10,000
MSRP $70,575
Sales Price $66,947
Tax $4,632
Cash on Delivery $2,000
Monthly (inc tax) $825

As mentioned above, Owners Choice gives you the option to turn it in at the end of the term, or refinance the baloon payment.
Thats a nice sales price for GA and no incentives. What dealer?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 01:20 PM   #12
rkcarter12
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Mineral Grey

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Thats a nice sales price for GA and no incentives. What dealer?
Yeah, I was very happy with the deal. I went to Global Imports and worked with David Attal.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 02:51 PM   #13
tareemaa
Bimmer Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Im doing owners choice and I live in IL. I bought my car before the tax laws changed this year but from what I calculated it was still beneficial. I want to stay with BMW because after the term is over I am going to negotiate my current car into a new one (hopefully with LCI and ZCP), if I switch over to PenFed than the car will become "mine" completely and I will lose that leverage, BMW always wants you to give your car back to them so they can certify it and make a shit load on it as well as put you in a new car. I got my payments pretty low.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 03:00 PM   #14
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 90 GTR, 21 Gladiator

Just saw this. If you are looking at this type of loan, also take a look at the Payment Saver from Pentagon Federal (PenFed). It is the same sort of thing. Basically a balloon auto loan with lower monthly payments. Essentially you get the freedom of a lower payment but can pay more as you go when finances allow if you want to eliminate that balloon. Downside is you will pay more interest over the time period than a traditional auto loan. I've used these sort of loans many times when I was getting in and out of cars every year. The balloon never factored into it for me.

EDIT: Just saw this was mentioned above. And yes, you can't turn the car in with PenFed you would need to sell it or refi if you reach the balloon without having paid it down.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 03:04 PM   #15
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accel Junky View Post
Just saw this. If you are looking at this type of loan, also take a look at the Payment Saver from Pentagon Federal (PenFed). It is the same sort of thing. Basically a balloon auto loan with lower monthly payments. Essentially you get the freedom of a lower payment but can pay more as you go when finances allow if you want to eliminate that balloon. Downside is you will pay more interest over the time period than a traditional auto loan. I've used these sort of loans many times when I was getting in and out of cars every year. The balloon never factored into it for me.

EDIT: Just saw this was mentioned above. And yes, you can't turn the car in with PenFed you would need to sell it or refi if you reach the balloon without having paid it down.
Correct Penfed Payment Saver is like BMW Select.

Owners choice is like a lease with a turn in option. They do this in various states that require you to pay full sales tax on a lease. Pretty much they defer the rest of the tax somehow. If you want to turn the car in at the end of term you still need to pay the disposition fee.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 09:31 AM   #16
my5rox
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Conv, 2016 X5 35i

Owners Choice versus Lease - How much am i Financing??

Important question on Owner's Choice versus Lease - specific to what part of the purchase is financed.

Example - $100K car purchase price, 60% Residual - ie., $60K Residual and $40K Depreciation, 36 month Term.

In a traditional lease - your financing (at the APR of the Money Factor applied) is on the $40K depreciation over 3 years.

In an OC - is your financing on the $40K or is it on the entire $100K?

In the calculation my dealer is providing, it sure feels like in the OC finances the entire purchase whereas the lease only finances the depreciation. This could negate any tax benefits of OC, given you are paying interest on a much larger amount.

Do I have this all wrong? Please help, need to buy this car today and close the deal!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 10:09 AM   #17
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by my5rox View Post
Important question on Owner's Choice versus Lease - specific to what part of the purchase is financed.

Example - $100K car purchase price, 60% Residual - ie., $60K Residual and $40K Depreciation, 36 month Term.

In a traditional lease - your financing (at the APR of the Money Factor applied) is on the $40K depreciation over 3 years.

In the calculation my dealer is providing, it sure feels like in the OC finances the entire purchase whereas the lease only finances the depreciation. This could negate any tax benefits of OC, given you are paying interest on a much larger amount.

Do I have this all wrong? Please help, need to buy this car today and close the deal!
I think since it's a financing deal that the interest rate would be applied to the entire outstanding loan amount, including the balloon payment. It's almost like an interest only loan since you're paying down less of the principal with each payment.

Remember, the turn-in at the end isn't some guaranteed price. If the valuation on the car is less than what your residual payment is, you still owe them the difference.
      09-10-2015, 02:34 PM   #18
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:

As i understand from my dealer its same as lease , you are financing the 40K and residual will be listed as ballon amount of 60K. You can either refinance the ballon amount or walk away.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 07:56 PM   #19
MavRick
Captain
Rep
Drives: My Wife's M

Quote:

you have it right. the 36 month note on $40K will look a helluva lot different than financing $100K for 36 months.

what you are more than likely seeing are the taxes...of which you are still only paying the 'used' amount...and them rolling ALL of the financing charges into the loan (which will be more than $5K)

go get the damn car, man!!!
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2015, 08:58 PM   #20
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mephiska View Post

Remember, the turn-in at the end isn't some guaranteed price. If the valuation on the car is less than what your residual payment is, you still owe them the difference.
I don't think so. Are you sure regarding above point on OC?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 09:16 PM   #21
bittrl1000
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mephiska View Post
Wrong. Owners Choice provides the same "walk away" option as a lease does.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 09:22 PM   #22
bittrl1000
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

Quote:

In the calculation my dealer is providing, it sure feels like in the OC finances the entire purchase whereas the lease only finances the depreciation. This could negate any tax benefits of OC, given you are paying interest on a much larger amount

Don't forget that on a lease or OC, you are not just financing the amount of depreciation over the lease term (the $40k in your example), but you are also paying interest on the residual for that same term. After all, you are borrowing that portion of the car (the $60k in your example) as well, and BMW won't let you borrow that for nothing. In other words, a lease is where you finance the depreciation, and pay an interest only loan on the residual.
Appreciate 0